View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
 Riley Coopper? 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Riley Coopper?
We need depth and he is the Eagles #2. Seriously, he has been banned from all team activities today and I think it's total BS. McCoy is mad at him, fine, but McCoy better have never used the N work nor should he have any music on his IPOD that says the word. I would bet my life he has said the word and listens to rap music with the word in the songs.... What a crock of BS, he forgives Vick, but Cooper has "crossed the line", yeah McCoy, I'm sure you are an angel. Come play for MIA Coop.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:33 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Riley Coopper?
I was actually thinking the same.

Miami has a big UF contingency, so I'd check in with a guy like Pouncey first and look to him to integrate Cooper into the locker room.

That said, flipping a 7th over to Philly for him seems like an interesting proposition to me. He'd essentially be Armon Binns replacement, and quite honestly a huge improvement.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:57 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He'd essentially be Armon Binns replacement, and quite honestly a huge improvement.

I agree. I hate the word that was used and I really do feel bad for the African Americans that were offended, but you can't call each other the word nor can you support rap music that uses the word and be mad at Cooper. The guard was doing his job and Copper was way out of line. BUT..most football players are out of line, they couldn't careless about you and me. They are entertainers IMO for my enjoyment, they make a lot of money to play a game. I wish they were more humble, but they aren't. BTW, last year I was at the MIA game and they played Rick Ross "911" and blanked out the N word, but you know what was said. I'm sure our beloved Fins don't use the word at practice or games........

Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:07 pm

Makchell wrote:
He'd essentially be Armon Binns replacement, and quite honestly a huge improvement.

I agree. I hate the word that was used and I really do feel bad for the African Americans that were offended, but you can't call each other the word nor can you support rap music that uses the word and be mad at Cooper. The guard was doing his job and Copper was way out of line. BUT..most football players are out of line, they couldn't careless about you and me. They are entertainers IMO for my enjoyment, they make a lot of money to play a game. I wish they were more humble, but they aren't. BTW, last year I was at the MIA game and they played Rick Ross "911" and blanked out the N word, but you know what was said. I'm sure our beloved Fins don't use the word at practice or games........

Like anything it's not what was said, it's the context in which it was said.

I know gay people that call each other faggots all the time, similarly to the way black men call each other N's.

If I referred to a gay man as a faggot though, that's offensive. I'm using it with the understanding of what it means. As is calling somebody the N word in the context it was used here.

The word being said isn't wrong in today's society (although it probably should be), nor is it wrong that a white guy said it. I know white guys who call their black friends N's...Nothing offensive about it to them clearly (as strange as it is to me). Cooper said it with the intention of being offensive though.

I guess the way I like to think of it is he said "nigger" not "niggah".

Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Like anything it's not what was said, it's the context in which it was said.

I know gay people that call each other faggots all the time, similarly to the way black men call each other N's.

If I referred to a gay man as a faggot though, that's offensive. I'm using it with the understanding of what it means. As is calling somebody the N word in the context it was used here.

The word being said isn't wrong in today's society (although it probably should be), nor is it wrong that a white guy said it. I know white guys who call their black friends N's...Nothing offensive about it to them clearly (as strange as it is to me). Cooper said it with the intention of being offensive though.

I guess the way I like to think of it is he said "nigger" not "niggah".

The guy certainly doesn't appear to have a history of lashing out at black people or secretly plotting their demise. To me it wreaks of a situation where he was amped up from being drunk out of his mind and "in the moment" he pulled the most verbally offensive card he could. I see this kind of thing all the time when I'm out at night at the bars here in Scottsdale.

Is it latent racism boiling to the surface? Again, based on everything up to this point I just don't see it. If somebody is a blatantly racist white guy, the NFL seems a highly illogical place for them since it's got over 70% black ball players. I find it hard to believe that a guy like Cooper would be hanging with black guys from the squad or forming a bond with Michael Vick over his tenure if he hated black people.

I'd certainly take a flyer on him, but knowing Philbin's modus operandi I don't see it ever happening. He had mini distractions earlier with Wallace's comments and Pouncey's lame butt hat.

On a side note, where are all these black people pissed off at other black people when they use the word "nigga" in vain? Like when you hear rap lyrics with the phrase "bitch azz nigga" or things of that nature.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

enter Al Sharpton

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
enter Al Sharpton

I'd really rather not

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:31 pm
Profile WWW

cspooner13 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
enter Al Sharpton

I'd really rather not

:)

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:43 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Sharpton will show up if can profit. He stirs the pot and IMO, he wants black people to stay down which is a shame. As long as there is drama, Sharpton will profit, so why would he want a peaceful USA?

Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Cooper would be a nice addition and improve the receiving group.

Look, EVERYONE has said something racist or had a racist thought in their life. Anyone who sits there and tells me they never have is something far worse...a freaking liar.

I can understand being temporarily upset but if McCoy is holding some sort of grudge then I dare him to honestly say he's never made nasty comments or used a slur about someone of a different race.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:41 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Has anyone seen the video clip? It's pretty bad at how easily he said the N word. I'm not black, but I accept the apology as being sincere. But there are consequences to stupidity. I wouldn't want him on my team because of the chemistry issues it would/could cause.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:55 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I haven't seen too much about this. What and who was he talking about? Where was he and what was he doing?

Where there black guys in the stands or was he just using the word randomly as to downgrade the people in the stands?

Just trying to get a little context.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:14 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Very good video posts Dave. This is such a touchy subject that is very hard to even address with someone coming away feeling acceptance to Cooper's apology. Personally, do I think he is sorry? Well, I don't "KNOW" the guy, but based on outside perception, I would say yes, he is very sorry, but the problem is IMO something like this happening and to immediately turn around and accept him will be tough.

Cooper will probably be better served to be waived/cut and start over with another team. Yes, he will still face the same scrutiny, but in Philly it might be tough to ultimately move on. As a Dolphins fan, would I want Riley Cooper on our favorite team? As a talent, I would say yes, but after thinking about it, is it worth it? Probably not, but then again any NFL team that does take a flyer on him, I am sure will set the right boundaries in place. If he went to a Belicheck environment, I say this would all fade away in time, if he would go to a NY setting, I would say no way it works.

The only way I would say it would even work IF he got cut and IF Miami looked at him it is because Philbin would provide the zero tolerance expectation on him, but then again would a guy like Philbin bring in someone that just blasted out racial slurs which is clearly against his code of ethics beliefs....

I think in the end people should be forgiven if they mean their apologies and proving that out, but it just doesn't happen overnight.

Look at the famous Seinfeld actor "Kramer" he has NEVER recovered off his rant using that awful word. Cooper was drunk and stupid, but the concept is the same and if your caught on film and your famous, you may recover or you may not. Time will tell for Riley IMO.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:35 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kev, Google the story, you can read all the specific breakdowns, but in short summary, Cooper was drunk at a Kenny Chesney concert, tried to get towards back stage and I believe an African American security guard prevented him from moving into that area and Cooper went off with racial slurs.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:38 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Now if it is out there I have not seen it, but not spending much time on something I consider minute. We only are seeing the end result. We do not know the dialog between Cooper & the SG. Maybe the SG said something to set him off besides, sir you cannot go back there.

Cooper's teammates need to put on their big boy pants & be men( McCoy ).

I still believe the people taping it & selling it are bigger slim than Cooper ever thought of being.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:02 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Finhead34 wrote:
Kev, Google the story, you can read all the specific breakdowns, but in short summary, Cooper was drunk at a Kenny Chesney concert, tried to get towards back stage and I believe an African American security guard prevented him from moving into that area and Cooper went off with racial slurs.

What Finhead said was correct. The guard, which was African-American like myself, kept a drunk Riley Cooper from going back stage, which triggered the verbal blast.

I PM Mak on this because I really did not want to discuss it. I have read the comments from JP on this and I can tell you that it pisses me off more to hear young African-Americans refer to one another as my nigga and vice versa. Nothing about that word is a darn compliment in any form or fashion. They young black men of today need to realize what the word MEANS and eliminate it from their vocabulary.

Whether Riley Cooper apology was sincere is not for me to determine. He was drunk at the time and things certainly come out your mouth that you can regret. I think the only reason there is regret is because someone had their cell phone and got it on video. It came to light.

It's a politically correct world and a world that everyone has a cell phone and can take a picture or record what is done. Better learn to be smart.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

if Steven A. can forgive him than other people should move on with it too. Didn't Culliver and Mike Wallace make offensive comments towards gays? Should we railroad them out of town too?

What he said was bad, but to me what would be unforgivable is if he had been video taped saying that he "hates n_ggers".........not just using the word as he did. As has been said here before, that word is used so often these days. Probably even on the sidelines too.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:34 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

What Finhead said was correct. The guard, which was African-American like myself, kept a drunk Riley Cooper from going back stage, which triggered the verbal blast.

I PM Mak on this because I really did not want to discuss it. I have read the comments from JP on this and I can tell you that it pisses me off more to hear young African-Americans refer to one another as my nigga and vice versa. Nothing about that word is a darn compliment in any form or fashion. They young black men of today need to realize what the word MEANS and eliminate it from their vocabulary.

Whether Riley Cooper apology was sincere is not for me to determine. He was drunk at the time and things certainly come out your mouth that you can regret. I think the only reason there is regret is because someone had their cell phone and got it on video. It came to light.

It's a politically correct world and a world that everyone has a cell phone and can take a picture or record what is done. Better learn to be smart.

great post Tony

Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:37 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

Agreed on all fronts. Great response.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

in other news....Johnny Manziel is a trainwreck. LOL

Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:

That guy is a dirt bag Any NFL team which decides to hand that kid a contract is deserving of watching their money go down the toilet.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

That guy is a dirt bag Any NFL team which decides to hand that kid a contract is deserving watching their money go down the toilet.

I heard that his family is already pretty rich ...He is just a spoiled rich kid that don't have to work for anything

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
I heard that his family is already pretty rich ...He is just a spoiled rich kid that don't have to work for anything

Ya, he's the type who's never been told "no" in his life.

I heard that his family is pretty interesting though. Can't remember which sports columnist I was listening to, but they said the family is literally "movie" worthy.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:51 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

His family is in the oil business. Apparently his father hired a full time assistant to keep an eye on Johnny.

I'd be a hypocrite if I crucified a 20 year old for focusing on drinking and chasing girls. I specialized in them, just flunked on actually getting girls. But I'm quite certain if I had the talent to be a professional athlete neither I nor my family would let me wiz it away on immaturity. We'll be seeing a 30 for 30 on him in about 5 or 6 years.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:22 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

That guy is a dirt bag Any NFL team which decides to hand that kid a contract is deserving of watching their money go down the toilet.

Sounds like a perfect fit for the Jets :yay:

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:12 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Man am I glad camera phones didn't exist when I was growing up...sheesh the material they'd have on me

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

hab321 wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Sounds like a perfect fit for the Jets :yay:

:yay: :)

Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:58 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Man am I glad camera phones didn't exist when I was growing up...sheesh the material they'd have on me

remind me to tell you a story in a couple months!

Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:23 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:

LOL. Exactly right. Its bad enough my kids see old pictures of me on face book.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]