View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Marshall trade changes complexion of the Dolphins’ draft 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Marshall trade changes complexion of the Dolphins’ draft
Quote:

The Dolphins surely will look to trade down from the No. 12 spot, but as NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said Wednesday during a conference call, “Everybody is trading down, so there aren’t many trade partners looking to come up.”

Before the Marshall plan took root, Mayock said Clemson running back C.J. Spiller - a breakaway threat as a runner, returner or receiver - looked like a good fit for the Dolphins.

“To me, Ted Ginn is a kick returner, he’s not a No. 1 or even a No. 2 wide receiver,” Mayock said. “You have three possession wideouts (Davone Bess, Greg Camarillo, Brian Hartline) in addition to him and nobody that can make a play.

“So I’ve been thinking all along in the back of my mind Spiller might be an opportunity at 12 for them.”

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... ins-draft/

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:33 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post Re: Marshall trade changes complexion of the Dolphins’ draft
I understand his point. Everyone always talks about moving down, but not too many teams actually do it. Everyone assumes it's because not that many teams really want to move up. While somewhat true, I think it's more of a case where on draft day a team is less likely to trade down for fear of a player they do want still being there. I believe we are in a position to move almost anywhere back in the first in order to get another pick or two. There lately seems to be a player or two in the draft that always slips unexpectedly and a couple of teams always seem willing to do something to move up and get him.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:40 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

To me it always seem to much of a risk to trade back and hope we can still get the guy we want but thats why I m sitting here and not in the FO making those calls lol

Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:37 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Don't think that trading down from the 12th spot is going to get us any playmakers. We need to grab Spiller if he's available. Best Playmaker in the draft by far. Getting the additional picks that everyone so desires will have to come from purging the roster a little. Smiley, Donald Thomas, Ronnie Brown, Ted Ginn, Camarillo any one of these players packaged together could get us a third maybe even a second.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:41 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

No one that can make a play? I'm pretty sure we have one of the better rushing attacks in the game with Ronnie and Ricky, and even Hilliard was making very nice plays catching the ball out of the backfield last season. While Bess won't make the big play, he makes plays as Welker does, and now with Marshall, why would we need to draft a "playmaker" in Spiller when our defense is hurting so badly?

I don't see us going offense the first or second day in this draft.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:32 pm
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

If Miami does get the chance to trade down, there will be plenty of talent in the mid to later portion of the 1st round, especially were Miami is probably looking to go, which is defense.

Everson Griffen, the DE/OLB from SC will be available, Jerry Hughes, the DE/OLB from TCU, Earl Thomas, the safety from Texas, Dan Williams, the NT from Tennessee, Sergio Kindle, OLB from Texas and Terrance Cody, NT from Alabama will be there possibly along with Brandon Graham, DE/OLB from Michigan.

Whether Miami is seriously considering Hughes and Graham due to there sizes is another question.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:47 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Think this draft is deep,and you can find what we need in each round of the draft. Hey is there is any FO that can find talent deep in the draft its this crew. It seems like there are more D-fence of depth this year and thats were we need the most help,now that we have Marshall

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:49 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

If we could trade down multiple times like the Pats did last year... that'd be ideal.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:56 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'd like us to draft a TE and an offensive lineman; outside of that, all defense.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:03 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

it's gonna be hard to trade down.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:05 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

for me if jimmy clausen is still on board when we pick we may get a trade partner or maybe c j spiller??
but there are reports that the jags with no 2nd rnd pick are wanting to trade out of the top 10
if so that will almost cert mean we will be picking at #12

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:14 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

moley wrote:
for me if jimmy clausen is still on board when we pick we may get a trade partner or maybe c j spiller??
but there are reports that the jags with no 2nd rnd pick are wanting to trade out of the top 10
if so that will almost cert mean we will be picking at #12

Ah just depends on the price. If the cost of trading up to the Jags is too steep, people may settle for trading with us. Who knows! Jags are in a good spot for those wanting a shot at Dez Bryant before Denver picks.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:40 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

We got are threat on O, lets focus on the are D-fence needs now, like D line,olb or fs. This draft has a lot of depth at all of are need spots,so lets sit back and enjoy the draft

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:48 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

phinphan-n-buffalo wrote:
We got are threat on O, lets focus on the are D-fence needs now, like D line,olb or fs. This draft has a lot of depth at all of are need spots,so lets sit back and enjoy the draft

I don't think we have buffalo. We need somebody to complement his playmaking abilities. If we got Spiller maybe.

TheBigFish wrote:
No one that can make a play? I'm pretty sure we have one of the better rushing attacks in the game with Ronnie ....

I agree. Ronnie hasn't shown the ability to be healthy. Remove Ronnie because of various injuries and how potent are we then.......refer to the latter part of the season.

TheBigFish wrote:
While Bess won't make the big play, he makes plays as Welker does, and now with Marshall, why would we need to draft a "playmaker" in Spiller when our defense is hurting so badly?

Watch the Super Bowl again.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:10 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Camarillo, Bess, Hartline and even Ginn will all take their game to the next level with the addition of Marshall. The running game will also be better as defenses will have to respect the entire field now. Having Ronnie Brown and Patrick Cobbs healthy will give defenses plenty of problems. Miami has just made huge strides in becoming a balanced offense. I agree with Buffalo 100% on this.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:47 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

bobby0112 wrote:

Camarillo, Bess, Hartline and even Ginn will all take their game to the next level with the addition of Marshall. The running game will also be better as defenses will have to respect the entire field now. Having Ronnie Brown and Patrick Cobbs healthy will give defenses plenty of problems. Miami has just made huge strides in becoming a balanced offense. I agree with Buffalo 100% on this.

I disagree... there are plenty of solid defensive players that can be had in the later rounds of this draft... and to me, none of the defensive players available at #12 are on the same talent level as CJ Spiller. This kid could make this one of the most dynamic offenses in the league. That keeps the defense off the field AND guarantees points on the board for us!

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:58 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm not sure Miami gets true value if they trade down. Its possible if there is a run on OTs and someone swoops in to grab what is left, or if a team is set on Spiller and wants him before SF and SEA pick (not sure SEA takes him with the 6th pick). If Dez Bryant makes it past DEN you could see the same scenario I noted above with Spiller. Not sure why but I get the feeling good ol' Belichick may offer up one of those 2nd rounders along with a first to move up for either Spiller or Bryant if they are available.

If I'm Miami I'm willing to move back for less. I'm not sure D. Williams, Kindle, E. Thomas or Pierre-Paul are worth clinging to the 12th pick. I think you can get one of those guys or something comparable in the 20s.

As for Spiller, I'm just not that excited about spending the 12th pick on him. If you are able to deal the guys on the trading block you will be able to get an RB in the 3rd of 4th round to match with RW, and there are some speedy return guys out there who can be had in the mid rounds.

If Miami can't trade down, then I'd push as hard as I can to get as many 3rd and 4th rounders as possible with Ginn, Brown, Smiley and whoever else is on the block.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:26 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Hey Pz I feel you on the Spiller deal,but I just think his game isnt what we are looking for. He seems to be more in the mold of R.Bush,the quicks,long speed,and can make anyone look like a fool trying to takel him. Miami is more of a run at you long drives,grind out the clock and the other teams D. While Spiller may be able to do that,but can he keep it up for 16 games and playoffs. Thats the problem we are facing now with Brown is can he stay healthy. I still say at 12 take the best player on our board,now it thats Spiller in there minds ok but, if its D ok to that as well. Just my 2cents

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:31 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Someone please tell me what is wrong with being like Reggie Bush? Because the last time I checked the guy has a Superbowl ring and we don't. If you want to be good then maybe copy the blueprint to the Saints success. They did it strictly with a talented offense and a once in a great while make a play kind of defense.

Load up the offense. Score and Score again. To be honest with you, it will take a few years to make this defense the way people want it to be. Right now with a legitimate #1 WR a #1 and #1 1/2 RB, a good OL, we need to get a change of pace back. Sorry but Cobbs ain't it and neither is Hilliard.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:14 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Trading down will be tough simply because this is one of the deepest drafts in a LONG time. That fact means teams want to hold on to their picks. The best chance to trade down would be with a team that is close to a title and has to add one or two missing pieces.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]