View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Miami TE Michael Egnew showing strides 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Miami TE Michael Egnew showing strides
Dphins4me wrote:
Shorts are being worn. What is happening right now ( plays being made ) is useless come training camp.

Yes, but still preferable to hear he is doing better as opposed to no signs of improvement at all.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:06 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
Before they were stud tight ends, Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham were more athlete than football player.

I was thinking that as well.

Egnew showed in college that he has good hands. Mizzou plays in a pretty good football division. Hopefully the "light" has come on for him. At some point these players with "potential" on our roster are going to have to start showing some consistency. One player that I am talking about is Clay as he's had 2 years to show us more than a glimmer.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:30 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dave tell me .... have any good TE's come out of Missouri? I don't know what I'm supposed to take from a guy who really had one stellar year in a wide open offense running basically one route. He's athletic no doubt, but he's a project in every sense of the word. This is not somebody I'm counting on at this point.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:55 am
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:
He's athletic no doubt, but he's a project in every sense of the word. This is not somebody I'm counting on at this point.

Who is saying otherwise?

Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:00 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:
He's athletic no doubt, but he's a project in every sense of the word. This is not somebody I'm counting on at this point.

Hey look at the bright side, just being active for 16 games would constitue a "break out" season compared to last year

:fart:

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:01 pm
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

Rock Sexton wrote:
Dave tell me .... have any good TE's come out of Missouri? I don't know what I'm supposed to take from a guy who really had one stellar year in a wide open offense running basically one route. He's athletic no doubt, but he's a project in every sense of the word. This is not somebody I'm counting on at this point.

Been many moons ago, but Kellen Winslow played for Missouri.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

rodneyfaile wrote:

Yes, but still preferable to hear he is doing better as opposed to no signs of improvement at all.
The way he looked on HK last year, told me he was scared to play in the NFL.

That is why him making plays in shorts is not important.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:32 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

The way he looked on HK last year, told me he was scared to play in the NFL.

That is why him making plays in shorts is not important.

No, but training with American Top Team in the offseason may be be a factor.

Not much is tougher than going against Muay Thai/Jujitsu black belts.

Obviously, Egnew realized he had an issue with toughness and he went to one of the best places to address that issue.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:52 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Keller is permanent markered in as the starting TE (barring injury). I don't think anyone is looking at Egnew and thinking 40 catches, 7 TDs.

I think a reasonable expectation for him IF he makes the roster is to provide some Red Zone catches with his size and atleticism. Maybe be a jump ball target for Tannehill.

Its clear Miami didn't expect much of him or hedged against him with the signing of Keller and drafting of Sims.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:52 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:

No, but training with American Top Team in the offseason may be be a factor.

Not much is tougher than going against Muay Thai/Jujitsu black belts.

Obviously, Egnew realized he had an issue with toughness and he went to one of the best places to address that issue.

Here is hoping, because nothing would please me more than to see him turn into a quality TE, but not apologizing for not being enthusiastic with what is happening while they are in shorts.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

That he did Rich. I am looking forward to July/August and when the live games start and hopefully Egnew comes around and becomes a contributor.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:25 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm thinking it was more of a confidence issue than toughness...Soliai took time hopefully the coaches can get to Egnew the same way.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:41 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
I'm thinking it was more of a confidence issue than toughness...Soliai took time hopefully the coaches can get to Egnew the same way.

Soliai played his rookie year. It was never about toughness with him. It was about giving full effort 100% of the time and keeping his weight down.

Rich wrote:

It wasn't just toughness with him, but clearly he lacked any of it. Per the Herald, during training camp last year: "He's dropped passes, missed assignments and generally not played very fast. He has what I call the thousand yard stare, like he is overmatched with what's going on."

Sherman even made a comment during the season how they didn't have time to teach him weekly what he needed to know cumulatively in order to get on the field. The guy is just as raw as it gets. Again, he had his one great season in college based on pure athleticism. He was a one tool player. Reality has set in here in the NFL for him as Mizzou never even got close to preparing him for what it would be like.

Back on the toughness subject. Man some people either are born with it or the don't have it. Can it be developed? It can, I know guys that served in the military for a few years where that was the case ..... but in one offseason simply sparring with MMA trainers? You're talking about re-wiring a man's mental capacity that to this point had been 23 years in the making.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:19 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock, I read all of what your saying & agree with some of it, but at the end of the day none of us really know whats going on with Egnew coming into this year, however we do all know he was a deer in headlights last season, but at least the guy is seemingly preparing for this season, working out hard in the off months and making strides to improve. I think that is all we can get out of it at this point and until we see him in live action and pads on.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:45 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
Rock, I read all of what your saying & agree with some of it, but at the end of the day none of us really know whats going on with Egnew coming into this year, however we do all know he was a deer in headlights last season, but at least the guy is seemingly preparing for this season, working out hard in the off months and making strides to improve. I think that is all we can get out of it at this point and until we see him in live action and pads on.

I disagree. The theme as being reported by pretty much every writer that had seen him and from Sherman's outburst on Hard Knocks, it's pretty evident who he was coming in.

I think it's great he's working to improve .... but making quote unquote strides? That'll be the case when in training camp he's not being planted on his butt trying to sustain blocks. That'll be the case when he's contributing consistently in the passing game. For now, everything has to be taken with a grain of salt. How many times have we been through this with players before the pads come on? Media's gotta report something though.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:55 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Media's gotta report something though.

That about sums it up and whether it is Egnew or some of these other guys that HAVE to step forward and actually show something, August will tell us all a lot more. We basically speculate how things will go, but I definitely agree that he and others have to start proving it.

Like you, I have been waiting way too many years of "hoping" this guy or that guy does good or better, I think we are all due to finally start seeing something good happen to this team.

I am certainly sick of the losing and being a doormat to the dang Patriots.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:12 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rock Sexton wrote:

And this is where Ireland's idiocy comes into play. A "project" is not something you use a third round pick on.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:06 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

So why didn't they cut him like they threatened?

People can change. People can turn things around, and it is even possible to do it rather quickly. Does "showing strides" during OTA mean he has done it? Of course not. But, maybe the lightbulb did come on. Maybe something clicked. It could be a sign he is at least headed in the right direction. It's better than hearing he isn't doing well in OTA.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:42 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rodneyfaile wrote:

People can change. People can turn things around, and it is even possible to do it rather quickly. Does "showing strides" during OTA mean he has done it? Of course not. But, maybe the lightbulb did come on. Maybe something clicked. It could be a sign he is at least headed in the right direction. It's better than hearing he isn't doing well in OTA.

Why didn't they cut him? Because he was a third round draft pick! Pretty simple stuff here. Even as pathetic as he was last year, you still have to try and give him another year.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:26 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

Why didn't they cut him? Because he was a third round draft pick! Pretty simple stuff here. Even as pathetic as he was last year, you still have to try and give him another year.

Well STFU and give him another year then!

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rodneyfaile wrote:

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

TommyNoleFin wrote:
A "project" is not something you use a third round pick on.

Yes, it is. Teams are not expecting to find rookie starters in Rd 3

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:46 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
According to Tony Softli of 101 ESPN St. Louis, Brian Quick has been "putting on a show" at OTAs. In Friday's session alone, Quick caught "17 to 18 passes all over the field." Softli mentioned that the second-year receiver was reeling in passes in the "red zone, middle of the field, on crossing routes, and deep down outside." Quick recently admitted that he struggled with the playbook as a rookie. That, coupled with the immense jump from Appalachian State to the NFL, contributed to his minuscule 2012 stat line. We have Quick as our No. 56 receiver at the moment, but he has a boat load of upside in what should be a high-octane St. Louis attack

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:25 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
Quote:
According to Tony Softli of 101 ESPN St. Louis, Brian Quick has been "putting on a show" at OTAs. In Friday's session alone, Quick caught "17 to 18 passes all over the field." Softli mentioned that the second-year receiver was reeling in passes in the "red zone, middle of the field, on crossing routes, and deep down outside." Quick recently admitted that he struggled with the playbook as a rookie. That, coupled with the immense jump from Appalachian State to the NFL, contributed to his minuscule 2012 stat line. We have Quick as our No. 56 receiver at the moment, but he has a boat load of upside in what should be a high-octane St. Louis attack

Oh well that solves it .... if Brian Quick is putting on a show in OTA's it definitely signals Egnew having a huge year this year. LOL

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

rodneyfaile wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

:grin:

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
Quote:

BTW, the guy slid to 4th on the depth chart .....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... pth-chart/

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:34 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:

Damn... I was going to start him in my fantasy league... Guess I will stick with Egnew

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:02 pm

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

And this is where Ireland's idiocy comes into play. A "project" is not something you use a third round pick on.

Correct. Only immediate starters that will have All Pro careers and make it into Canton get picked in the third round.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Damn... I was going to start him in my fantasy league... Guess I will stick with Egnew

LOL ....

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:43 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:

Correct. Only immediate starters that will have All Pro careers and make it into Canton get picked in the third round.

And when they develop and have big years we can all complain he wants too much money let him walk and sign the big name FA

Ohh the vicious cycle :war:

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2