All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 1480
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Dphins4me wrote:
Shorts are being worn. What is happening right now ( plays being made ) is useless come training camp.


Yes, but still preferable to hear he is doing better as opposed to no signs of improvement at all.

_________________
Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jim Valvano


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 12381
Location: Raleigh, NC
Rich wrote:
Before they were stud tight ends, Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham were more athlete than football player.


I was thinking that as well.

Egnew showed in college that he has good hands. Mizzou plays in a pretty good football division. Hopefully the "light" has come on for him. At some point these players with "potential" on our roster are going to have to start showing some consistency. One player that I am talking about is Clay as he's had 2 years to show us more than a glimmer.

Image


.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
Dave tell me .... have any good TE's come out of Missouri? I don't know what I'm supposed to take from a guy who really had one stellar year in a wide open offense running basically one route. He's athletic no doubt, but he's a project in every sense of the word. This is not somebody I'm counting on at this point.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 25206
Location: Miami, FL
Rock Sexton wrote:
He's athletic no doubt, but he's a project in every sense of the word. This is not somebody I'm counting on at this point.


Who is saying otherwise?

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5448
Location: Wellington, FL
Rock Sexton wrote:
He's athletic no doubt, but he's a project in every sense of the word. This is not somebody I'm counting on at this point.




Hey look at the bright side, just being active for 16 games would constitue a "break out" season compared to last year

:fart:

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 DRAFT GURU
2016 DRAFT GURU

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 5516
Location: Columbia, SC
Rock Sexton wrote:
Dave tell me .... have any good TE's come out of Missouri? I don't know what I'm supposed to take from a guy who really had one stellar year in a wide open offense running basically one route. He's athletic no doubt, but he's a project in every sense of the word. This is not somebody I'm counting on at this point.


Been many moons ago, but Kellen Winslow played for Missouri.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6571
rodneyfaile wrote:

Yes, but still preferable to hear he is doing better as opposed to no signs of improvement at all.
The way he looked on HK last year, told me he was scared to play in the NFL.

That is why him making plays in shorts is not important.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:52 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 25206
Location: Miami, FL
Dphins4me wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

Yes, but still preferable to hear he is doing better as opposed to no signs of improvement at all.
The way he looked on HK last year, told me he was scared to play in the NFL.

That is why him making plays in shorts is not important.


No, but training with American Top Team in the offseason may be be a factor.

Not much is tougher than going against Muay Thai/Jujitsu black belts.

Obviously, Egnew realized he had an issue with toughness and he went to one of the best places to address that issue.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:52 am 
Offline
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 8559
Location: MA
Keller is permanent markered in as the starting TE (barring injury). I don't think anyone is looking at Egnew and thinking 40 catches, 7 TDs.

I think a reasonable expectation for him IF he makes the roster is to provide some Red Zone catches with his size and atleticism. Maybe be a jump ball target for Tannehill.

Its clear Miami didn't expect much of him or hedged against him with the signing of Keller and drafting of Sims.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6571
Rich wrote:

No, but training with American Top Team in the offseason may be be a factor.

Not much is tougher than going against Muay Thai/Jujitsu black belts.

Obviously, Egnew realized he had an issue with toughness and he went to one of the best places to address that issue.

Here is hoping, because nothing would please me more than to see him turn into a quality TE, but not apologizing for not being enthusiastic with what is happening while they are in shorts.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:25 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 5619
Location: Houston, Texas
Obviously, Egnew realized he had an issue with toughness and he went to one of the best places to address that issue.


That he did Rich. I am looking forward to July/August and when the live games start and hopefully Egnew comes around and becomes a contributor.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:41 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 4926
Location: MA.
I'm thinking it was more of a confidence issue than toughness...Soliai took time hopefully the coaches can get to Egnew the same way.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
Kev1321 wrote:
I'm thinking it was more of a confidence issue than toughness...Soliai took time hopefully the coaches can get to Egnew the same way.


Soliai played his rookie year. It was never about toughness with him. It was about giving full effort 100% of the time and keeping his weight down.

Rich wrote:
Obviously, Egnew realized he had an issue with toughness and he went to one of the best places to address that issue.


It wasn't just toughness with him, but clearly he lacked any of it. Per the Herald, during training camp last year: "He's dropped passes, missed assignments and generally not played very fast. He has what I call the thousand yard stare, like he is overmatched with what's going on."

Sherman even made a comment during the season how they didn't have time to teach him weekly what he needed to know cumulatively in order to get on the field. The guy is just as raw as it gets. Again, he had his one great season in college based on pure athleticism. He was a one tool player. Reality has set in here in the NFL for him as Mizzou never even got close to preparing him for what it would be like.

Back on the toughness subject. Man some people either are born with it or the don't have it. Can it be developed? It can, I know guys that served in the military for a few years where that was the case ..... but in one offseason simply sparring with MMA trainers? You're talking about re-wiring a man's mental capacity that to this point had been 23 years in the making.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 5619
Location: Houston, Texas
Rock, I read all of what your saying & agree with some of it, but at the end of the day none of us really know whats going on with Egnew coming into this year, however we do all know he was a deer in headlights last season, but at least the guy is seemingly preparing for this season, working out hard in the off months and making strides to improve. I think that is all we can get out of it at this point and until we see him in live action and pads on.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
Finhead34 wrote:
Rock, I read all of what your saying & agree with some of it, but at the end of the day none of us really know whats going on with Egnew coming into this year, however we do all know he was a deer in headlights last season, but at least the guy is seemingly preparing for this season, working out hard in the off months and making strides to improve. I think that is all we can get out of it at this point and until we see him in live action and pads on.


I disagree. The theme as being reported by pretty much every writer that had seen him and from Sherman's outburst on Hard Knocks, it's pretty evident who he was coming in.

I think it's great he's working to improve .... but making quote unquote strides? That'll be the case when in training camp he's not being planted on his butt trying to sustain blocks. That'll be the case when he's contributing consistently in the passing game. For now, everything has to be taken with a grain of salt. How many times have we been through this with players before the pads come on? Media's gotta report something though.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 5619
Location: Houston, Texas
Media's gotta report something though.

That about sums it up and whether it is Egnew or some of these other guys that HAVE to step forward and actually show something, August will tell us all a lot more. We basically speculate how things will go, but I definitely agree that he and others have to start proving it.

Like you, I have been waiting way too many years of "hoping" this guy or that guy does good or better, I think we are all due to finally start seeing something good happen to this team.

I am certainly sick of the losing and being a doormat to the dang Patriots.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 am
Posts: 1646
Rock Sexton wrote:
Dave tell me .... have any good TE's come out of Missouri? I don't know what I'm supposed to take from a guy who really had one stellar year in a wide open offense running basically one route. He's athletic no doubt, but he's a project in every sense of the word. This is not somebody I'm counting on at this point.


And this is where Ireland's idiocy comes into play. A "project" is not something you use a third round pick on.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 1480
Location: Chesapeake, VA
So why didn't they cut him like they threatened?

People can change. People can turn things around, and it is even possible to do it rather quickly. Does "showing strides" during OTA mean he has done it? Of course not. But, maybe the lightbulb did come on. Maybe something clicked. It could be a sign he is at least headed in the right direction. It's better than hearing he isn't doing well in OTA.

_________________
Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jim Valvano


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
rodneyfaile wrote:
So why didn't they cut him like they threatened?

People can change. People can turn things around, and it is even possible to do it rather quickly. Does "showing strides" during OTA mean he has done it? Of course not. But, maybe the lightbulb did come on. Maybe something clicked. It could be a sign he is at least headed in the right direction. It's better than hearing he isn't doing well in OTA.


Why didn't they cut him? Because he was a third round draft pick! Pretty simple stuff here. Even as pathetic as he was last year, you still have to try and give him another year.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 1480
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Rock Sexton wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:
So why didn't they cut him like they threatened?

People can change. People can turn things around, and it is even possible to do it rather quickly. Does "showing strides" during OTA mean he has done it? Of course not. But, maybe the lightbulb did come on. Maybe something clicked. It could be a sign he is at least headed in the right direction. It's better than hearing he isn't doing well in OTA.


Why didn't they cut him? Because he was a third round draft pick! Pretty simple stuff here. Even as pathetic as he was last year, you still have to try and give him another year.


Well STFU and give him another year then!

_________________
Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jim Valvano


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
rodneyfaile wrote:
Well STFU and give him another year then!


Image

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:46 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6571
TommyNoleFin wrote:
A "project" is not something you use a third round pick on.

Yes, it is. Teams are not expecting to find rookie starters in Rd 3


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:25 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 4926
Location: MA.
Quote:
According to Tony Softli of 101 ESPN St. Louis, Brian Quick has been "putting on a show" at OTAs. In Friday's session alone, Quick caught "17 to 18 passes all over the field." Softli mentioned that the second-year receiver was reeling in passes in the "red zone, middle of the field, on crossing routes, and deep down outside." Quick recently admitted that he struggled with the playbook as a rookie. That, coupled with the immense jump from Appalachian State to the NFL, contributed to his minuscule 2012 stat line. We have Quick as our No. 56 receiver at the moment, but he has a boat load of upside in what should be a high-octane St. Louis attack
.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
Kev1321 wrote:
Quote:
According to Tony Softli of 101 ESPN St. Louis, Brian Quick has been "putting on a show" at OTAs. In Friday's session alone, Quick caught "17 to 18 passes all over the field." Softli mentioned that the second-year receiver was reeling in passes in the "red zone, middle of the field, on crossing routes, and deep down outside." Quick recently admitted that he struggled with the playbook as a rookie. That, coupled with the immense jump from Appalachian State to the NFL, contributed to his minuscule 2012 stat line. We have Quick as our No. 56 receiver at the moment, but he has a boat load of upside in what should be a high-octane St. Louis attack
.


Oh well that solves it .... if Brian Quick is putting on a show in OTA's it definitely signals Egnew having a huge year this year. LOL

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:46 pm 
Offline
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 am
Posts: 1913
Location: Lakeland, Fl
rodneyfaile wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:
So why didn't they cut him like they threatened?

People can change. People can turn things around, and it is even possible to do it rather quickly. Does "showing strides" during OTA mean he has done it? Of course not. But, maybe the lightbulb did come on. Maybe something clicked. It could be a sign he is at least headed in the right direction. It's better than hearing he isn't doing well in OTA.


Why didn't they cut him? Because he was a third round draft pick! Pretty simple stuff here. Even as pathetic as he was last year, you still have to try and give him another year.


Well STFU and give him another year then!


:grin:

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
Kev1321 wrote:
Quote:
According to Tony Softli of 101 ESPN St. Louis, Brian Quick has been "putting on a show" at OTAs. In Friday's session alone, Quick caught "17 to 18 passes all over the field." Softli mentioned that the second-year receiver was reeling in passes in the "red zone, middle of the field, on crossing routes, and deep down outside." Quick recently admitted that he struggled with the playbook as a rookie. That, coupled with the immense jump from Appalachian State to the NFL, contributed to his minuscule 2012 stat line. We have Quick as our No. 56 receiver at the moment, but he has a boat load of upside in what should be a high-octane St. Louis attack
.


BTW, the guy slid to 4th on the depth chart .....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... pth-chart/

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5448
Location: Wellington, FL
Rock Sexton wrote:
BTW, the guy slid to 4th on the depth chart .....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... pth-chart/


darn... I was going to start him in my fantasy league... Guess I will stick with Egnew

:fart:

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 25206
Location: Miami, FL
TommyNoleFin wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Dave tell me .... have any good TE's come out of Missouri? I don't know what I'm supposed to take from a guy who really had one stellar year in a wide open offense running basically one route. He's athletic no doubt, but he's a project in every sense of the word. This is not somebody I'm counting on at this point.


And this is where Ireland's idiocy comes into play. A "project" is not something you use a third round pick on.


Correct. Only immediate starters that will have All Pro careers and make it into Canton get picked in the third round.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
10acjed wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
BTW, the guy slid to 4th on the depth chart .....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... pth-chart/


darn... I was going to start him in my fantasy league... Guess I will stick with Egnew

:fart:


LOL ....

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5448
Location: Wellington, FL
Rich wrote:

Correct. Only immediate starters that will have All Pro careers and make it into Canton get picked in the third round.


And when they develop and have big years we can all complain he wants too much money let him walk and sign the big name FA



Ohh the vicious cycle :war:

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DanRambo, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, rea7474, VTDolphin, Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r