View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Miami TE Michael Egnew showing strides 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Miami TE Michael Egnew showing strides
Quote:
By James Walker | ESPN.com

On Monday I asked Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin about Egnew's development and making more plays in practice this year.

“I see the same things you do, and it makes me feel more confident about his ability,” Philbin responded. “He’s starting to understand his role in the offense better, and maybe we know a little more about him, too, so we can put him in a position to make those type of plays. It’s been encouraging.”

I’ve learned years ago to never write off a player after his first season. The NFL is a very tough league, and sometimes it takes a two or three years for the light to turn on. ...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... ng-strides

Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:32 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Re: Miami TE Michael Egnew showing strides
This is good news for everyone involved....

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:35 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Drafting a rookie TE might have sent a message?

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The hope is that Egnew can develop into a serviceable blocker and passing game threat and that Sims can develop into an excellent blocker and redzone weapon. The tandem of Egnew and Sims might not seem like anything right now, but by next season, if a lot of things go right, it might be a very good pair.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:11 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

He's still got some strides to make

Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

As we saw in Hard Knocks it can be huge shock to the system for a star college player to move to a new place and have guys like Incognito in your face. He obviously wasn't prepared for it last year. I was at the Carolina/Dolphins pre-season game last year and the guy didn't look like he had a friend on the team.......he was walking around by himself......it looked like no one wanted to be around him.

The kid has it physically, it's mental with him. Hopefully, he's more prepared, comfortable and mentally tough........we definitely need another TE to step up.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:00 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

wkloiber13 wrote:
The hope is that Egnew can develop into a serviceable blocker and passing game threat and that Sims can develop into an excellent blocker and redzone weapon. The tandem of Egnew and Sims might not seem like anything right now, but by next season, if a lot of things go right, it might be a very good pair.

I agree.....Egnew has the physical talent to be a big time threat. It was both the mental and the adjustment to the pro game that was to big for him to handle last year. He and Sims could be a nice duo for a long time.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

I agree.....Egnew has the physical talent to be a big time threat. It was both the mental and the adjustment to the pro game that was to big for him to handle last year. He and Sims could be a nice duo for a long time.

Yep, if you look at the two of them from a skillset standpoint, they're a perfect pair.

I think Egnew coming out of Mizzou had a lot of catching up to do. The offense he ran at Missouri was very different than the one he's in now. Sometimes it just takes a season for a guy like that to learn how to study film, workout, and play fast like a pro.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:21 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Me & Michael Egnew. This guy towered over me. Really nice guy too.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:55 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

He may tower over you but you look like you could simply flick his ear and it would knock him on his butt

Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
He and Sims could be a nice duo for a long time.

How do you know this already? How about simply CONTRIBUTING first.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:38 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

phinsfansc wrote:

I agree, Tone. Most draft analysts felt that Egnew was a good pick. He's a converted wide receiver, so, it sounds as if he had some real growing pains last year. I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

Some 2012 Post Draft Analysis:

PETE PRISCO: Best pick: Third-round tight end Michael Egnew has the ability to split out and create matchup problems. He's what you want in a tight end.

MEL KIPER: Michael Egnew was my No. 4 tight end, and has solid athleticism. He's 6-foot-5, but can run in the mid-4.5 range.

TODD MCSHAY: Intriguing pick - TE Michael Egnew (third)

WALTER: Michael Egnew was a reach, but is probably the best pass-catching tight end on the roster.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Reading is fundamental. He said COULD BE... not WILL BE.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:38 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Rock Sexton wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I said COULD be......Not going TO BE......

I will take contributions from both and be happy in 2013.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Shorts are being worn. What is happening right now ( plays being made ) is useless come training camp.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:38 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Shorts are being worn. What is happening right now ( plays being made ) is useless come training camp.

This is true; however, he wasn't doing anything in shorts last year. It just shows improvement from a year ago. How much? Well, we won't know until the pads come on and we see him in a few preseason games. It is encouraging, but I expect to see Keller as our #1 TE this year. The Dolphins will try to work Egnew into the rotation to see if he can take over next year.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:25 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Dphins4me wrote:

I dont think its useless at all, 32 teams are doing it right now. I doubt they do it because they are bored.

These reports are simply reporters providing information to us of what is going on. Philbin is not going to say Egnew still sucks, so what else would you expect to read.

We only have one tru TE in Keller, then a Hybrid in Clay. So between Egnew and Sims one of them will make the roster and see time.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:37 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Reading is fundamental. He said COULD BE... not WILL BE.

Grabbing my popcorn and soda. This is gonna be fun.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:47 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

TommyNoleFin wrote:

Grabbing my popcorn and soda. This is gonna be fun.

Well, we're not going to let it get too much of a back and forth thing. The endless arguing gets tiresome to the mods as it always escalates into insults.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:25 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Finhead34 wrote:

Me & Michael Egnew. This guy towered over me. Really nice guy too.

Egnew lost all confidence after taking this picture with Finhead and being asked by Coach, "Bro, do you even lift"?

Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:28 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Dphins4me wrote:

Bingo.

I remember Pat White being the "most improved player" in his 2nd minicamp...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ed-player/

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:55 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

Bingo.

I remember Pat White being the "most improved player" in his 2nd minicamp...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ed-player/

I completely disagree in this situation. Right now you want to see mental strides which Egnew is providing. No one is arguing that since he caught TD passes in a minicamp that he is suddenly challenging for a starting job. You're seeing a guy who couldn't tie his own shoes last year now BEGINNING to understand his role in this offense.

Pat White never had the physical characteristics to succeed as an NFL QB. Everyone knew he was a Wildcat option at best. Egnew has the physical ability to be an NFL pass catching TE. I don't see how the comparison fits given the context of this discussion.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:28 am

jammer wrote:
Pat White never had the physical characteristics to succeed as an NFL QB. Everyone knew he was a Wildcat option at best. Egnew has the physical ability to be an NFL pass catching TE. I don't see how the comparison fits given the context of this discussion.

I'd argue he doesn't. I didn't like Egnew coming out of Missouri at all, with no knowledge of how stupid he is.

He runs well in shorts, but on the field it's a different story. I don't see a football player in him. I see an athlete who played in a wide open offense at Mizzou a top 10 pick at QB and took advantage of it.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:40 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Just watched some videos on the guy and I'm not going to disagree with you that he is/was more athlete than football player. But, he's a darn good athlete who looks like he can be molded into a decent TE. He has the physical ability to make good catches and move the football forward. If he mentally begins to comprehend what his role is on the field then it looks like a decent pick.

Pat White does not have the size or arm strength to play QB. Egnew has the size, ability to catch , and enough athleticism to be a receiving option. The question we don't know is whether he can learn where to be and what to do in this offense.

Actually, after watching the videos I can't believe Blaine Gabbert was a top 10 pick. Talk about no footwork or pocket presence.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:52 pm

Before they were stud tight ends, Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham were more athlete than football player.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The Hen wrote:
This is good news for everyone involved....

Yes it is good news. I am not saying Egnew is going to make the team or be a star. But the fact that he impressed the coaching staff enough to earn reps with the first team is a huge stride from last year. Maybe the 2nd year is better for this kid. It would be great if he progresses and makes the team and contributes this year. Its a lot better than having to cut a 3rd round pick who was a bust.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:08 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Big Dave wrote:

Well, we're not going to let it get too much of a back and forth thing. The endless arguing gets tiresome to the mods as it always escalates into insults.

Party pooper

:ann0y:

Rich wrote:
Before they were stud tight ends, Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham were more athlete than football player.

Both saw significant time as rooks, 30+ catches, 300+ yards, and TD's.... Egnew was active 1 game, and not even sure if he stepped over the white line

Hes a long shot at this point, glad guys have faith but I am not expecting much from him...

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:36 pm

10acjed wrote:
Both saw significant time as rooks, 30+ catches, 300+ yards, and TD's.... Egnew was active 1 game, and not even sure if he stepped over the white line

Hes a long shot at this point, glad guys have faith but I am not expecting much from him...

Gates had 24 receptions his first season in the NFL. But guess what he was doing throughout his college career...... playing basketball.

He was an undrafted free agent.

I got to see Jimmy Graham at UM. His MO was dropping wide open passes.

Both came to the NFL as raw, athletic products, not football players.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:45 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:
10acjed wrote:

Gates had 24 receptions his first season in the NFL. But guess what he was doing throughout his college career...... playing basketball.

I guess I am missing your point...

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:08 pm

It's in response to this comment.

Phins Rock wrote:
I don't see a football player in him. I see an athlete

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
I guess I am missing your point...

There are two very important points in Rich's message.

1. You don't have to be a "football" player in college to succeed in the NFL. Athletes who play football but don't understand the game yet can be coached up so that their mental strengths equal their physical ability.

2. It takes time for raw guys to come into their own. Neither Graham nor Gates (raw athletes) were considered much after their rookie seasons, even if it was better than what Egnew showed. Now both are legit. Its not impossible for Egnew to be at least solid after a learning season.

The guy put in offseason work, is getting some good words from coaches and has the chance to contribute. Lets just see how it all progresses.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Rich wrote:
10acjed wrote:

You're point is well taken, but you also made another good point that I think I'll use in reverse of what yours was.

Those two guys played basketball in college, not football (until their Sr. years). Egnew has been a football player for a while...and he still looks like an athlete trapped in pads.

I've never found Egnew to be as smooth catching/running on the field as Graham is, for example. Egnew has always looked pretty stiff to me.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:22 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Hey anything is possible, I just am not getting my hopes up for him... And have a hard time comparing him to Graham, who was an all pro by year 2.

Only reason his name still gets mentioned is because of when he was drafted, the spotlight is on him. Some want to see him progress, others just want another reason to hate Ireland lol... (meaning in the media not here)

Personally I am hoping Keller returns to form and signs a nice long term extension

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
Only reason his name still gets mentioned is because of when he was drafted, the spotlight is on him. Some want to see him progress, others just want another reason to hate Ireland lol... (meaning in the media not here)

Personally I am hoping Keller returns to form and signs a nice long term extension

Correct. He probably would have been cut if he was a 7th Rd flyer.

Obviously I want to see the guy pan out...I want every player to pan out. I'm less than certain he will, but I'll wait to see how the summer goes before giving up on him. I just think he's got some nice physical ability that can be coached up.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
Those two guys played basketball in college, not football (until their Sr. years). Egnew has been a football player for a while...and he still looks like an athlete trapped in pads.

I've never found Egnew to be as smooth catching/running on the field as Graham is, for example. Egnew has always looked pretty stiff to me.

Egnew played football in college, but he played in a college system that didn't prepare him for the pros. I think you've made that point yourself.

Incidentally, Graham played football in college and looked terrible. I know... I was there. There was no "smoothness" there... just a tall, long guy dropping wide open passes...

So the point is coaching and player development.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:

I dont think its useless at all, 32 teams are doing it right now. I doubt they do it because they are bored.

These reports are simply reporters providing information to us of what is going on. Philbin is not going to say Egnew still sucks, so what else would you expect to read.

We only have one tru TE in Keller, then a Hybrid in Clay. So between Egnew and Sims one of them will make the roster and see time.

Its useless in the fact of plays being made. Not useless in learning the routes. A Wr going across the middle in shorts,catching the pass & turning it into a 75 YD TD is much different than one doing it in pads is my point.

When players do not have to be concerned with being hit, means they have no worries about the defense.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:

When players do not have to be concerned with being hit, means they have no worries about the defense.

With the rules being changed that is starting to sound more like modern day NFL.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

PR you feel Egnew is stiff? If you watch his tape clips from Missouri he was a pure seam route running tight end that got open quite a bit. Yes, it was for Missouri, but IMO he looked like he was pretty fast, got open and made nice catches, hence all the reasons why Miami drafted him.

Granted last year he was a bit lost, played "tight" not stiff (again my opinion) and needed to improve on the mental aspects.

This is year two and with his "athletic" skills, let's see how this preseason plays out as all indicators are at least pointing to improvement.

I think the points made are that it can take time for certain guys and there is certainly still potential for this guy to breakout more. The attributes are there in this kid, now hopefully he puts it together.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I had zero confidence in the pick as soon as I heard we drafted a "Missouri" tight end.

see, Martin rucker, Chase Coffman

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... r-tes.html

Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:21 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
I had zero confidence in the pick as soon as I heard we drafted a "Missouri" tight end.

see, Martin Rucker, Chase Coffman
I was in the same boat, especially considering the need at WR.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next