View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 “Dogfight” anticipated over offsets in Dion Jordan deal 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post “Dogfight” anticipated over offsets in Dion Jordan deal
Quote:
“Dogfight” anticipated over offsets in Jordan deal
Posted by Mike Florio

Over the weekend, we explained that folks in league circles are keeping an eye on the looming negotiations between the Dolphins and defensive end Dion Jordan, anticipating a squabble over offsets.

Even though the Dolphins moved from No. 12 to No. 3 to select Jordan, it’s believed that the Dolphins will continue their trend of insisting on the placement of offset language in deals that provide guaranteed money to the player.

One source with direct knowledge of the situation says that a “dogfight” is coming on the issue between the Dolphins and Jordan.

Five years ago, I would have cringed a little over the use of the term “dogfight.” But that’s what the source said, which shows how time tends to take the stink out of a term that went from being a perfectly acceptable sports cliché to having a taint.

(And, yes, Beavis. I said taint.)

Last year, quarterback Ryan Tannehill missed part of training camp over the issue. It remains to be seen whether and to what extend Jordan digs in if/when the Dolphins insist on the use of offset language, which simply means that Jordan won’t be able to double dip if he’s cut during his four-year contract and signs elsewhere.

At some point, the player surely will blink, since the alternative is to sit out the entire season and re-enter the draft. And not play in 2013, and not get paid.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rdan-deal/

Thu May 30, 2013 5:58 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: “Dogfight” anticipated over offsets in Dion Jordan deal
Jordan was a player Ireland "had to get" so I would not expect the FO to put up a big fight when it comes to the language.

Thu May 30, 2013 7:12 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

If I have to hear about offset language one more time....

Thu May 30, 2013 7:58 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The rookie scale was a step in the right direction. The next step is to have the contract as incentive only. The 3rd step is pay in case the player gets hurt.

Thu May 30, 2013 8:40 am

Makchell wrote:
The rookie scale was a step in the right direction. The next step is to have the contract as incentive only. The 3rd step is pay in case the player gets hurt.

No way that will ever happen. The NFL is already so much better from a contract standpoint than other sports. They've pushed it as far as they can push it, I think.

Thu May 30, 2013 10:00 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Business is a part of the game

Thu May 30, 2013 10:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm sure they'll just throw a little more money up front at him like they did with Tannehill and it will get settled. I fully expect Jordan to be at training camp, playing in the preseason, and ready to go week one.

Thu May 30, 2013 11:32 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:
Makchell wrote:

No way that will ever happen. The NFL is already so much better from a contract standpoint than other sports. They've pushed it as far as they can push it, I think.

I agree JP......No other team sports has what the NFL has in regards to contacts that are not guaranteed.

The players are not and SHOULD not give up anything else.

Whatever needs to be done, get it done and get Dion in camp.

Fri May 31, 2013 10:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Makchell wrote:

I agree JP......No other team sports has what the NFL has in regards to contacts that are not guaranteed.

The players are not and SHOULD not give up anything else.

Whatever needs to be done, get it done and get Dion in camp.

The idea that players have "given up" something in regards to contract negotiations is a red herring. The players, through their union, agreed to everything in the current system. It may not always benefit individual players, but then again what union agreement doesn't screw over individuals? This is the system they wanted and heartily agreed to. They didn't "give up" anything at all.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]