View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Ryan Tannehill a 5-Tool player 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Ryan Tannehill a 5-Tool player
A really good analysis of our young signal caller. Most seem to think he will become a top ten QB.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -tannehill

Quote:
No. 7: Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins

Why he's here

Look beyond the numbers. Tannehill was overshadowed among last year's preposterous rookie class, but the former Texas A&M wide receiver showed more promise than we usually see from any rookie quarterback in a given year. In baseball, Tannehill would be classified a five-tool player -- he has all the traits you look for.

The arm strength, size and mobility are obvious. But I chose four plays to highlight from the Ryan Tannehill Experience to show some of his less-talked about skills.

Quote:
It wouldn't shock me if Tannehill wound up eventually passing one or two of the big-name young quarterbacks in front of him. I don't see any big reason why Tannehill can't evolve into a top-five NFL quarterback. Spots on the bandwagon still are available.

Fri May 24, 2013 4:15 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Ryan Tannehill a 5-Tool player
Im on that band wagon. I have him being the elite-est of the elite which worries me when we have to resign him after his rookie contract expires & a big percentage of the cap goes to one guy & handcuffs us on who we can sign. But I figure we should have 2-3 rings by then.

Fri May 24, 2013 6:27 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
Im on that band wagon. I have him being the elite-est of the elite which worries me when we have to resign him after his rookie contract expires & a big percentage of the cap goes to one guy & handcuffs us on who we can sign. But I figure we should have 2-3 rings by then.

I would not mind if he ends up being an elite QB and eats up a chunk of the cap. It's been a while since we had one of those in a dolphins uniform.

Fri May 24, 2013 6:38 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

It's hard to say how he'll do, but he definitely has the physical tools to be a good quarterback. If he can improve his decision making this year we'll see a jump in ability then.

Fri May 24, 2013 6:51 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

The more games Ryan plays the better he will get. Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson all started and played in many more games in college than the 19 Ryan played.

The best thing that could have happened last year was David Garrad getting hurt and Tannehill having to start and play. He had his ups and downs, but the talent and moxie is there.

Actually stunned to see that from Greg Rosenthal of the NFL.com site and Rotoworld.com.

Fri May 24, 2013 12:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:

Is that all? I see you are a pessimist.

Sat May 25, 2013 12:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:

It is a problem I will be very happy to have

Sat May 25, 2013 11:03 pm

degs wrote:
FINesse wrote:

It is a problem I will be very happy to have

I totally agree which is why I laugh when guys write here with such glee that we are finally gonna compete with the Patriots or we are seeing the decline of the Patriots.
Miami will soon have that problem but after winning a few super bowls which I fully expect us to do , there is nowhere to go but down. You must resign the elite QB & your team will get raided in free agency but you step up as a front office & rebuild to stay competitive. 5-6 years from now the other fans in the division will be saying finally the decline of the Dolphins but after wearing 3 rings so be it.

Sun May 26, 2013 8:40 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

FINesse wrote:
5-6 years from now the other fans in the division will be saying finally the decline of the Dolphins but after wearing 3 rings so be it.

LOL, FINesse. I hope you're a prophet ... or I may take up stones on you buddy;)

I don't see the Patriots slipping much while Belichick and Brady are together. There may be some hiccups from time to time, but I have this feeling that their passing offense will be just fine even with the loss of Welker.

I do think the Dolphins are on the right track. If on the chance that Tannehill doesn't get the job done I think the Dolphins now understand the importance of the QB position and will address it again. You don't get very far with average at that position.

Sun May 26, 2013 8:54 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I definitely think that Miami is on the road to long-term, consistent success. But to say that we're going to win multiple championships within the next five years might be overshooting it a bit. Let's talk about going to the playoffs consistently first before we're talking about championships. Baby steps guys, building a consistent champion doesn't happen overnight

Sun May 26, 2013 1:55 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Well in his pessimistic prophet mode FINesse said 2-3 championships in three years, not an outlandish five years as has been suggested.

Could that be a new designation BD the "Pessimistic Prophet" award? I vote for FINesse to get the 1st one. : )

Sun May 26, 2013 4:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cspooner13 wrote:
I definitely think that Miami is on the road to long-term, consistent success. But to say that we're going to win multiple championships within the next five years might be overshooting it a bit. Let's talk about going to the playoffs consistently first before we're talking about championships. Baby steps guys, building a consistent champion doesn't happen overnight

The majority of Finesse's posts have been sarcastic this offseason, this one isn't excluded lol.

Sun May 26, 2013 8:16 pm

well then lets see who has the last laugh. there have been more than a few threads on here about everyone's poor little feelings being hurt because the Dolphins have been shown no love , the team the media loves to hate but when someone buys in it is sarcastic?? did nobody witness this off season??

Sun May 26, 2013 9:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Have you not witnessed the last decade plus? We've had reason to be excited in the past only to have our hopes dashed pretty spectacularly. You'll have to forgive me if I have a wait-and-see attitude towards it this time.

Sun May 26, 2013 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

there's no reason to be overly optimistic or overly pessimistic going into this season. We haven't shown enough for people to say double digit wins this year and we're talented enough for people to stop poo-pooing our team. Even if we go .500 this year I'll still be optimistic for the next handful of years thereafter.

Sun May 26, 2013 11:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This guy isn't saying much. Tannehill has a big arm. Obvious. Tannehill has ideal size for the position. Obvious. Tannehill is athletic (mobile). Obvious. Tannehill is smart. Obvious.

Most quarterbacks taken in the top ten have all of these traits. But what seperates the busts from the franchise quarterbacks is work ethic and desire. If Tannehill doesn't put in the work and he doesn't have the burning desire to win in the pit of his stomach, then all of the "tools" mean nothing.

Mon May 27, 2013 1:19 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Accuracy, good decision making, correct foot work, having enough of a team around you to be competitive, not having too many injuries, big games important moments are not too much, and decent leadership skills might help as well.

Mon May 27, 2013 8:51 am

If we go .500 it will be a huge disappointment. You did not be this active in the off season & hand out these 1 year deals to go .500. The last decade , yeah I witnessed it & was pretty much bashed when I gave my opinion of signing Culpepper & not Brees , when guys said that John Beck was actually the second best QB in his draft class behind Russell because Shanahan said so & I disagreed , when it was said with the likes of Porter , Taylor & Thomas nobody will ever move the ball on us & I also disagreed , or my opinion that the demise of the Patriots will only come when they finally age & not by another team in the division actually stepping up. And those who have been here for some time know there are much more. Look you want to give out awards , when we did give them out ask Dave who always won the non homer award. Maybe a change in my thinking will change the teams fortunes. Dont get me wrong , I still do not like the owner so you all can come after me with that but finally we showed some balls both in the draft & in free agency & were active which is only an admission of guilt that we did suck & were NEVER close (sorry swerve & wk). I loved it after 1-15 it was still said we only need to be tweaked & not overhauled. Was never one for the rose colored glasses or the kool aid & will never be.

Mon May 27, 2013 9:48 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
If we go .500 it will be a huge disappointment. You did not be this active in the off season & hand out these 1 year deals to go .500. The last decade , yeah I witnessed it & was pretty much bashed when I gave my opinion of signing Culpepper & not Brees , when guys said that John Beck was actually the second best QB in his draft class behind Russell because Shanahan said so & I disagreed , when it was said with the likes of Porter , Taylor & Thomas nobody will ever move the ball on us & I also disagreed , or my opinion that the demise of the Patriots will only come when they finally age & not by another team in the division actually stepping up. And those who have been here for some time know there are much more. Look you want to give out awards , when we did give them out ask Dave who always won the non homer award. Maybe a change in my thinking will change the teams fortunes. Dont get me wrong , I still do not like the owner so you all can come after me with that but finally we showed some balls both in the draft & in free agency & were active which is only an admission of guilt that we did suck & were NEVER close (sorry swerve & wk). I loved it after 1-15 it was still said we only need to be tweaked & not overhauled. Was never one for the rose colored glasses or the kool aid & will never be.

I completely agree. A 1 game improvement will definitely be a disappointment.

I doubt I would be happy with 9-7 in most circumstances. Maybe these are high expectations, but after years of being down on the teams chances, I see reason for hope. If they could go 7-9 with all the big question marks surrounding 2012, I believe we should be looking for a big step up in 2013.

Tue May 28, 2013 1:23 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
FINesse wrote:

I completely agree. A 1 game improvement will definitely be a disappointment.

I doubt I would be happy with 9-7 in most circumstances. Maybe these are high expectations, but after years of being down on the teams chances, I see reason for hope. If they could go 7-9 with all the big question marks surrounding 2012, I believe we should be looking for a big step up in 2013.

Agreed. This should be a 10-6 team if Tannehill is who we hope. Even if the secondary has question marks this offense should be putting up points...and a lot of them. Yes, I know its only OTAs but we're already hearing about Tannehill being better in just about every phase. The baptism by fire was the best thing that could have happened to him.

I think the only things that could derail this season are injuries. There don't appear to be locker room issues, problem children, lack of faith in coach or QB, lack of speed on offense or defense.

Tue May 28, 2013 7:41 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

[quote="jammer"]
Agreed. This should be a 10-6 team if Tannehill is who we hope. [quote]

The 2003 Dolphins and the 2007 Browns can attest to this. 10 wins in the AFC doesn't guarantee you squat.

Tue May 28, 2013 7:45 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TommyNoleFin wrote:
jammer wrote:
Agreed. This should be a 10-6 team if Tannehill is who we hope.
Quote:

The 2003 Dolphins and the 2007 Browns can attest to this. 10 wins in the AFC doesn't guarantee you squat.

I don't think any of us asked for guarantees.
Let them go 10-6 and I will take my chances

Tue May 28, 2013 8:00 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
well then lets see who has the last laugh. there have been more than a few threads on here about everyone's poor little feelings being hurt because the Dolphins have been shown no love , the team the media loves to hate but when someone buys in it is sarcastic?? did nobody witness this off season??

Definitely sarcasm lmao.

Tue May 28, 2013 8:08 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
I don't think any of us asked for guarantees.
Let them go 10-6 and I will take my chances

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Until I see Tannehill as a franchise QB I'm keeping my expectations in the realm of Miami being competitive and fighting for a playoff spot. If they are that once or twice per decade anomaly of having 10 wins and no playoffs it won't be as bad as 7-9 with coach, QB, and franchise stability questions.

Tue May 28, 2013 8:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]