View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Draft being moved to May 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Draft being moved to May
There is a very good likelihood that the NFL draft will be moved to May starting in 2014. The tentative date is between May 8-17.

I don't have a link, but did read this with quotes from Goodell.

I am going to have to stop coming to this site as much during the offseason. I hate that the draft is so late already. It will drive me crazy if it is moved 3 weeks later

Wed May 22, 2013 6:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Draft being moved to May
I haven't jumped on the Goodell hate bandwagon (yet), but I swear not a darn thing he has done has benefited the fans. I am really starting to develop a distaste for him...even General Managers and football people alike are openly complaining about this (kept their names disclosed though).

Wed May 22, 2013 7:48 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I haven't jumped on the Goodell hate bandwagon (yet), but I swear not a darn thing he has done has benefited the fans. I am really starting to develop a distaste for him...even General Managers and football people alike are openly complaining about this (kept their names disclosed though).

Actually, this move makes sense. It puts the month of May in play for the NFL. Each month something of significance is happening, so the NFL will now be a year-round sport.

Jan-Playoffs/Pro Bowl
Feb-Super Bowl
March-Free Agency/Combine begins
April-Combine ends/Draft lead up
May- NFL Draft
June-June 1st cuts (second wave of FA)
July-Training camp
August-Preseason/Hall of Fame inductions
Sept-Dec-Regular Season

Thu May 23, 2013 7:11 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Actually, this move makes senses. It puts the month of Mays in plays for the NFLs. Each month something of significance is happening, so the NFL will now be a year-round sport.

Jan-Playoffs/Pro Bowl
Feb-Super Bowl
May- NFL Draft
July-Training camp
Sept-Dec-Regular Season

You're in the minority bro, I haven't heard anyone in favor of this besides you. As far as I was concerned, the NFL already was a "year round sport". Pushing the draft back ANOTHER month, and having to endure another long month of freaking mock drafts will lead me to my breaking point...not really....but you know what I mean lol. It's going to suck.

Thu May 23, 2013 8:34 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

the draft is already drawn out way too long. Goodell is a greedy idiot.

Thu May 23, 2013 12:36 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It is bad enough have to wait until late April and endure all the hype, mock drafts and the likes of Mel Kiper Jr, who must be doing a jig at the thought of the draft moving back a few weeks.

Thu May 23, 2013 1:09 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:
Actually, this move makes senses. It puts the month of Mays in plays for the NFLs. Each month something of significance is happening, so the NFL will now be a year-round sport.

Jan-Playoffs/Pro Bowl
Feb-Super Bowl
May- NFL Draft
July-Training camp
Sept-Dec-Regular Season

You're in the minority bro, I haven't heard anyone in favor of this besides you. As far as I was concerned, the NFL already was a "year round sport". Pushing the draft back ANOTHER month, and having to endure another long month of freaking mock drafts will lead me to my breaking point...not really....but you know what I mean lol. It's going to suck.

Well include me in the minority because it makes sense. They have the NFL channel and can't keep putting on top 10 moments. I won't like it either but it's a business and they are competing with the NBA so this is their way of dominating the US sports fan all year similar to what soccer does worldwide!

Thu May 23, 2013 10:07 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

It makes sense for the NFL, not anyone else.

Thu May 23, 2013 10:22 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

It puts me in the small minority I know, but I actually really enjoy the lead up to the draft. I enjoy analyzing the players and putting together mock drafts, so I'm not upset by the move.

Thu May 23, 2013 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

as much as I enjoy the road to the draft, I get kinda sick of all the over-analyzation by the end of March and am ready for the draft to be held at the beginning of April. Those last 3 weeks are agonizing as it is, another month will be torture.

Fri May 24, 2013 1:48 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It makes sense for the NFL, not anyone else.

Exactly Mak. I understand business decisions, but it is a blow to the fans for sure as I was already feeling that waiting until the end of April is plenty long enough to wait. Just goes to show you that for me personally NO other sport than NFL football gets me so excited. I like all sports too, but the NFL is king in my book.

Fri May 24, 2013 11:23 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Peter King's thoughts ...

Peter King wrote:
I've been trying to find reasons to justify the NFL pushing back the draft by a whopping three weeks next season, to Mother's Day weekend, May 15-17. I can't find one. I'm not alone.

Talked to one personnel czar last night on the phone. "Hate it. Absolutely hate it.'' Saw one owner at dinner last night, and he said (sarcastically) his GM "would just love this ... more time to obsess on final decisions he made a month ago."

The NFL will say if the change is made -- and it's all but done, and could be approved at the meetings here today -- it's because Radio City Music Hall isn't available next year on the last long weekend of April. I live in New York City. There are other venues. Lots of them. It's ridiculous to trot out that excuse. To say the league couldn't find another place at Madison Square Garden or the Barclays Center in Brooklyn or any one of a score of other options in New York is insulting to the intelligence of any thinking person. Say what it is: three more weeks to hype the most ridiculously overhyped event on the NFL calendar. Three more weeks for spring-programming-starved NFL Network to be relevant. And less time for NFL coaches, GMs, scouts and coaching staffs to be human beings and have family lives.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... index.html

Fri May 24, 2013 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
the draft is already drawn out way too long. Goodell is a greedy idiot.

I think you need to add the owners to that list as well, as Goodell works for the owners. The league needs to take the football people more into account when they make these type of moves, as it effects the product that is put on the field.

By the time late April get's here, I know it draft time and ready to go. I would hate to wait 3 weeks longer, but if so, I would do it.

Fri May 24, 2013 12:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
Peter King's thoughts ...

Peter King wrote:
...The NFL will say if the change is made -- and it's all but done, and could be approved at the meetings here today -- it's because Radio City Music Hall isn't available next year on the last long weekend of April. I live in New York City. There are other venues. Lots of them. It's ridiculous to trot out that excuse. To say the league couldn't find another place at Madison Square Garden or the Barclays Center in Brooklyn or any one of a score of other options in New York is insulting to the intelligence of any thinking person. Say what it is: three more weeks to hype the most ridiculously overhyped event on the NFL calendar. Three more weeks for spring-programming-starved NFL Network to be relevant. And less time for NFL coaches, GMs, scouts and coaching staffs to be human beings and have family lives.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... index.html

I am a Podcast junkie, a week or so ago on the NFL Rich Eisen podcast he mentioned this was going to happen because of Easter next year, that Radio City Hall was already booked and he felt after the change, the NFL will keep the draft in May.

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Actually, this move makes sense. It puts the month of May in play for the NFL. Each month something of significance is happening, so the NFL will now be a year-round sport.

Jan-Playoffs/Pro Bowl
Feb-Super Bowl
May- NFL Draft
July-Training camp
Sept-Dec-Regular Season

On the Ross Tucker Football podcast, he felt the reasoning was more due to this ^, more year-around exposure for the NFL.

Interesting to hear the different thoughts on it changing.

Fri May 24, 2013 1:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If it was a 1 year change that would be one thing. But before the change is made they have said it will be permanent. It really has nothing to do with MSG.

Sat May 25, 2013 12:18 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

I agree 100% and I would add that they way he has handled certain incidents has also validated the criticism that he plays favorites with people and particular teams.

Sun May 26, 2013 4:54 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Why not rotate the draft around to different cities anyway?

Goodall sucks.

Sun May 26, 2013 7:45 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Something that wasn't widely reported this week was that the NFL told San Francisco and Houston their upcoming Super Bowls will be either the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd week in February so be prepared for any of those weeks as you start your preparation. Leaving it open to go to an 18 game season between now and then

Mon May 27, 2013 7:04 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Something that wasn't widely reported this week was that the NFL told San Francisco and Houston their upcoming Super Bowls will be either the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd week in February so be prepared for any of those weeks as you start your preparation. Leaving it open to go to an 18 game season between now and then

The possibilities mentioned are around the idea of cutting the preseason by 2 games and either moving to an 18 game season or adding a round in the playoffs.
I still don't see the players union agreeing to an 18 game season, even with a reduced preseason.
Adding an additional playoff game I can see as a possibility.

Nothing wrong with the NFL pushing to eliminate meaningless games and add meaningful games, but I can see the concerns of the players union as well.
And I prefer this kind of discussion to go on now, rather than in the middle of a labor dispute, like they did last year.
All we can do right now is to wait and see if there is a mutually acceptable middle ground.

Mon May 27, 2013 11:12 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Always hear about meaningless pre season games and UPS guys...

I don't think they are very meaningless at all....The coaches need these games to build a roster.

What is the fraud about them is the NFL makes season ticket holders buy the games and fans have to pay full price to what equals to a practice.

Tue May 28, 2013 6:58 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Here's an idea. Keep the preseason as it is, go to an 18 game regular season, add two teams to each conference, and go to three divisions in each conference of six teams in each division. Then the 18 game schedule will rotate perfectly as follows:

5 games against your divisional rivals

6 games against one other division in your conference

6 games against one division in the opposite conference

1 game against the same place team in the other division in your conference.

Tue May 28, 2013 7:20 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Here's an idea. Keep the preseason as it is, go to an 18 game regular season.

The players union will NEVER agree to extending the season without something back. Players will have even shorter more injury filled careers. There is only so much a body can take.

Tue May 28, 2013 7:58 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:
Here's an idea. Keep the preseason as it is, go to an 18 game regular season.

The players union will NEVER agree to extending the season without something back. Players will have even shorter more injury filled careers. There is only so much a body can take.

There are ways around that...You just add a buy week. It will extend the season with less wear and tear...Teams coming off a buy could play Thursday game and then have 10 more off days...Two games Thursday night...

Tue May 28, 2013 9:01 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
There are ways around that...You just add a buy week. It will extend the season with less wear and tear...Teams coming off a buy could play Thursday game and then have 10 more off days...Two games Thursday night...

I agree there could be ways around it. I was just commenting toward the original post, which said keep the preseason as it is and add two more games. The players will never agree to that. Adding another bye week won't change their minds either. Not by itself. And will two extra games and a bye, you'll be having the Super Bowl in what....late March???

Tue May 28, 2013 5:02 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

I agree there could be ways around it. I was just commenting toward the original post, which said keep the preseason as it is and add two more games. The players will never agree to that. Adding another bye week won't change their minds either. Not by itself. And will two extra games and a bye, you'll be having the Super Bowl in what....late March???

No you would just cut a preseason game and start a week early.
And i'm not so sure the players wouldn't go for an extra game check or two.

Tue May 28, 2013 5:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]