View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 S Rashad Jones Did not attend Monday's OTA (RECONSIDERS) 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post S Rashad Jones Did not attend Monday's OTA (RECONSIDERS)
Armando Salguero wrote:
Safety Reshad Jones, the Dolphins most productive and promising defensive back, did not attend Monday's offseason conditioning session according to a team source.

The club spent much of the morning trying to locate Jones, who until Monday had near perfect attendance in the offseason program. The Dolphins started their first set of OTA days Monday and will continue Tuesday and Wednesday with on-field drills. The drills Monday were closed to the media but the club is scheduled to open the workouts Tuesday.

All OTA activities are voluntary and players are not subject to fines for missing them.

The reason for Jones' absence is not completely known to the team's front office and coaches but there has been speculation among some teammates that Jones is unsatisfied with the progress -- or more accurately, the lack of progress -- in talks to extend his contract.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

RotoWorld wrote:
GM Jeff Ireland spent more money than any front-office executive in the NFL this offseason, so Jones understandably feels snubbed after a breakout 2012 season. It's an inherent risk with free-agency building, as the Fins did. Locker-room turmoil is near inevitable.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51942311/ ... ayer_news/

Mon May 20, 2013 8:29 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: S Rashad Jones
not what we need right now. This guy is pivotal.

Mon May 20, 2013 8:31 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: S Rashad Jones Did not attend Monday's OTA
Im sure he was just doing something charitable and lost track of time.

Mon May 20, 2013 9:40 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
Im sure he was just doing something charitable and lost track of time.

Yeah I am sure that is what he is doing. :$$

Mon May 20, 2013 10:43 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
[Update: A source close to Jones tells me he is not planning to show up for OTAs Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday unless contract talks begin.]

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Mon May 20, 2013 4:30 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Well, this is the business end of the NFL. Jones will be one of the lowest paid starter on the entire team.

And while I am about players honoring contracts, it hard to argue this in the NFL, when a team can cut a player just like that.

Could work out best to get a deal done with Rashad now instead of waiting and having him have another big year. Still going to have to pay him, but it going to be more if he coming off another big year.

Mon May 20, 2013 6:45 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I think the Dolphins have always played hardball with players entering the final year of their rookie contracts. Still, you need to keep the few players that you actually drafted successfully happy. I am a little surprised that Ireland hasn't started discussions with his agent about a new contract. Maybe they planned to do this on July 1 once they get more cap monies.

I think this is a good move for Rashad Jones.

Tue May 21, 2013 2:05 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I should have surfed first ....

Quote:
Reshad Jones reconsiders, will attend Dolphins’ OTAs

Dolphins safety Reshad Jones has changed his mind and decided to attend Organized Team Activities.

Jones, who is unhappy with his contract, skipped Monday’s voluntary workout. But Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that Jones will show up to the Dolphins’ OTA session today.

Jones’s agent, Joel Segal, and Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland spoke several times on Monday, and Ireland told Segal the Dolphins would open discussions on a new contract “eventually” if Jones showed up, Salguero reports. Whether “eventually” means any time soon, and whether the Dolphins’ offer will be enough to satisfy Jones, is a separate question. But Ireland’s assurance was enough to get Jones to report.

The Dolphins chose Jones in the fifth round of the 2010 NFL draft, and he’s scheduled to make $1.3 million this year, on the final season of his rookie contract. Jones has been a good player in Miami, earning a starting job in his second season and starting all 16 games while leading the team with four interceptions last year, so the Dolphins would like to keep him around for several more years.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... hins-otas/

Tue May 21, 2013 2:28 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

phinsfansc wrote:
Could work out best to get a deal done with Rashad now instead of waiting and having him have another big year. Still going to have to pay him, but it going to be more if he coming off another big year.

This is wa big reason why teams like the Patriots and Packers are perennial playoff contenders. They do a bangup job managing the salary cap. A guy like Jones on the Patriots or Packers would've been locked into a long term deal as soon as last season was over. If he has another big year now, he might price himself out of the Dolphins market.

Tue May 21, 2013 2:54 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

TommyNoleFin wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

This is wa big reason why teams like the Patriots and Packers are perennial playoff contenders. They do a bangup job managing the salary cap. A guy like Jones on the Patriots or Packers would've been locked into a long term deal as soon as last season was over. If he has another big year now, he might price himself out of the Dolphins market.

But that is also a big gamble. The Pats and Packers don't just re-sign guys after one big year, they have to prove it consistently. Jones could be a one year wonder and everyone here would be grilling Miami if they paid him and he never lived up to the new contract.

Its a business and it goes both ways.

Tue May 21, 2013 3:21 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

TommyNoleFin wrote:
[A guy like Jones on the Patriots or Packers would've been locked into a long term deal as soon as last season was over.

Maybe for offensive playmakers, but the Patriots seem to franchise their defensive stars and then replace them in the draft.

Tue May 21, 2013 7:25 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
Well, this is the business end of the NFL. Jones will be one of the lowest paid starter on the entire team.

And while I am about players honoring contracts, it hard to argue this in the NFL, when a team can cut a player just like that..

I have mellowed out on my stance on this as I have gotten older. I used to be hard core about a player honoring the contract that he signed. But now I can see the players side on this issue. The player has a short span to make a much money as he can make. And teams will cut/trade a player in an instant regardless of a players past contributions. And there is always the possibility of career ending injuries. As phinsfansc said, this is the ugly part of the business end of the NFL.

Tue May 21, 2013 8:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]