View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Jonathan Martin Update 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Jonathan Martin Update
Quote:
Jonathan Martin is relieved that he finally knows what side he will be playing on. "It's exciting to play left tackle in the NFL - that has been a dream my whole life," he said. "And it's nice knowing what your position is."

Martin - who played left tackle at Stanford and right tackle for 12 games for the Dolphins before Jake Long's injury forced him to move to the left side to close last season - said has been devouring four meals a day, plus snacks to put on 20 pounds, to 318. That's the weight he wants to play at. He said he's not only bigger but also "stronger and tougher."

The Dolphins are privately very optimistic about his chances of becoming a good left tackle.

"He's going to do a great job, " Mike Pouncey said. "He's more fluid over there."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... atter.html

Interesting, from this article it would seem that Martin has been named the starter. It really makes you wonder if this was the plan all along. While I'm sure Ireland was fairly serious about acquiring Albert, he probably felt confident enough in Martin that he didn't feel the need to overpay for Albert, or to reach for a tackle in the draft.

Hopefully Martin has put in the time and effort this offseason. If Martin improves, then the loss of Jake Long won't hurt us too badly and Tannehill will have his blindside protected. I for one am pulling big time for Martin because him taking the next step would be very beneficial to the team.

Thu May 16, 2013 12:01 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Jonathan Martin Update
It appears that the motivation, ambition and desire are all there. He's bulked up, built muscle and knows he needs to strengthen up.

Let's see how it translates on the field.

Thu May 16, 2013 1:24 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Rich wrote:
It appears that the motivation, ambition and desire are all there. He's bulked up, built muscle and knows he needs to strengthen up.

The intangibles weren't ever a question. It's the talent. If he's improved his strength that much, it should help. But he isn't the only one lifting this off season...

We'll see. I stil think he'd make a better fit at guard, honestly. He'd need a complete turn around to make me feel comfortable with him on the left side.

Thu May 16, 2013 1:51 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:

Exactly! It's all on his shoulders now....actually it's on the entire OL because we have the weapons now but it's up to the line to protect and open holes!

Thu May 16, 2013 9:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]