View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Rams and Saints will surprise, don't believe Dolphins hype 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Rams and Saints will surprise, don't believe Dolphins hype
Disappointments

Miami Dolphins: No team has been flashier since the start of free agency in March, loading up on free agents, throwing cash around and then making a bold trade up to the third overall pick in draft to nab Dion Jordan. I'm just not sure how much better they're going to be. Questions remain at left tackle and in the secondary and in the running game, to name a few. Suddenly there is a buzz about this being a team on the rise and ready to enter the playoff equation.

I just don't see it right now.

Usually, when you bring in this much outside talent, it either doesn't take at all, or it takes more than a year to click. We'll see how Ryan Tannehill progresses in his second season as their quarterback and if there is a leadership void with guys like Karlos Dansby no longer around. I still don't see them being any real threat to the Patriots in the AFC East, and with teams like the Colts and Bengals still likely in the wild card scene, I don't see Miami unseating anyone being much more than an 8-8 team at best. Not sure there is enough bite on defense surrounding Cameron Wake, and not sure this team will be able to grind out wins down the stretch.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2222 ... phins-hype

Fri May 10, 2013 8:16 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: Rams and Saints will surprise, don't believe Dolphins hype
Jason LaCanfora has not been high on the Dolphins during free agency, as he believes you don't win the so called championship of free agency to build a team.

Same SOB that was wrong time after time about who was going were this past free agency.

I have said it many times, and I believe it. If you use free agency smartly, you can fill needs and fortify your team. Miami got YOUNGER thru free agency and just got younger with the draft.

This was already the 2nd youngest team in the league and they could very well be the youngest. There a solid foundation in place.

There will be cap room in 2014, not like this past year, but the team will have cap room. They will also likely have compensation picks for the guys they don't keep that they signed to one year contracts and the free agents they don't sign.

I realize people are going to have their doubts until Miami does it on the field. I want to see that as well. But I like the direction this team is going.

Fri May 10, 2013 9:16 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

phinsfansc wrote:
Jason LaCanfora has not been high on the Dolphins during free agency, as he believes you don't win the so called championship of free agency to build a team.

Same SOB that was wrong time after time about who was going were this past free agency.

I have said it many times, and I believe it. If you use free agency smartly, you can fill needs and fortify your team. Miami got YOUNGER thru free agency and just got younger with the draft.

There's a difference between assembling a dream team (like the Eagles did) and just addressing needs like Dolphins have done this off-season. I have lost respect for many journalists in the past few months.

We have been criticized for doing nothing to improve our team in the past, and now that we have done it, people say "free agency is not the solution"...

All the Dolphins haters can kiss my a$$ and go f*ck themselves.

Fri May 10, 2013 9:34 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I could do this guys job in my darn sleep. Journalism? What a joke.

Fri May 10, 2013 11:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I kind of agree with him. Most teams success depends on their schedule. There is only a handful of teams that are schedule-proof. New England type teams can win 10+ games no matter who they play. I just see us having a hard time starting better than 2-4, And then we'll really have to go on a run. I see probably 9-7. Maybe playoffs, maybe not. Doesnt mean we're not a good team. But I think in 2014 we could be an 11-5 team. After this team has had time to gel.

Sat May 11, 2013 12:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I am hopeful for the Dolphins this year. I am also skeptical, about the amount of success that the Phins will have this season.

Sat May 11, 2013 1:57 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
I kind of agree with him. Most teams success depends on their schedule. There is only a handful of teams that are schedule-proof. New England type teams can win 10+ games no matter who they play. I just see us having a hard time starting better than 2-4, And then we'll really have to go on a run. I see probably 9-7. Maybe playoffs, maybe not. Doesnt mean we're not a good team. But I think in 2014 we could be an 11-5 team. After this team has had time to gel.

I have to disagree 100% with you on this.
Every team shares 12 games that are the exact same with their division rivals. 2 games are head to head with those division rivals and 2 games are different.

By your logic, the Bills Jets and Dolphins should all be very close to the Pats and every other division should be the exact same way.

Sat May 11, 2013 3:29 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

you obviously didn't read what I wrote very closely. I said New England is always schedule-proof. So why would the Jets, Dolphins and Bills finish with the same records as them? the top 4 or 5 teams are just way better than the rest of the league and generally win double digit games.

Yes we have alot more talent than we've had in recent years but we've still got a very young and unproven quarterback and the NFL did us no favors in scheduling a murderers row our first 7 games.
We play 5 of the very best teams in the NFL in that span.

It's very possible that we play outstanding football thru week 7 and still be 2-5 with 9 weeks left. Then you have to win at least 7 out of the remaining 9 games to have a shot.

Sat May 11, 2013 4:35 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
you obviously didn't read what I wrote very closely. I said New England is always schedule-proof. So why would the Jets, Dolphins and Bills finish with the same records as them? the top 4 or 5 teams are just way better than the rest of the league and generally win double digit games.

Yes we have alot more talent than we've had in recent years but we've still got a very young and unproven quarterback and the NFL did us no favors in scheduling a murderers row our first 7 games.
We play 5 of the very best teams in the NFL in that span.

It's very possible that we play outstanding football thru week 7 and still be 2-5 with 9 weeks left. Then you have to win at least 7 out of the remaining 9 games to have a shot.

I read it. I used the AFC east example where maybe I should not have.
However my point is still very valid. By your logic every division should be very tight as everyone has basically the same schedule

Sat May 11, 2013 5:14 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

StereoMike wrote:
[There's a difference between assembling a dream team (like the Eagles did) and just addressing needs like Dolphins have done this off-season. I have lost respect for many journalists in the past few months.

We have been criticized for doing nothing to improve our team in the past, and now that we have done it, people say "free agency is not the solution"...

All the Dolphins haters can kiss my a$$ and go f*ck themselves.

This. Wallace, Ellerbe and Wheeler are the only long term, guaranteed money deals given in the last 2 years. Its not like they just handed out never ending contracts to everyone.

Miami has as much drafted talent as they do signed talent that they are depending on.

Sat May 11, 2013 7:58 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised when the Dolphins walk into Indy in week two and take down the Colts. For all of the hoopla surrounding Luck, it took the best game of his entire season, and playing at home to beat us last year. In addition, everyone is acting like the departure of Arians isn't a big deal, well it is. I fully expect this team to take a step backwards without him in terms of the coaching. I know Pagano was always the coach, but Arians was the guy running that team last year. A large part of their success was his ability to manage and motivate that team. That was a big loss for them and a nice pickup by the Cardinals.

Also, how are we behind the Bengals when we beat them in their house last year? While Daulton and Green is a great tandem, we held them to 13 points last year. I think if we faced them again this year it would be another win. That is a good team, but not a great team. I didn't see them as being too much better than us last year. This year I think we're going to surpass them.

I get that this whole thing is going to take time to click, but there is no reason that it can't. Lots of teams rebuild every year, and every year someone makes a lot of changes in a short period of time and it works.

Sat May 11, 2013 10:58 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm going to be optimistic here.........the Phins will be better than they were last year. Let's start with the offense........Wallace is a game changer, Keller is an obvious improvement over Fasano......Tanehill should be considerably better. Potential issues are LT, but that was an issue last year with or without Long. The Line as whole should be better ........thanks in part to the addition of Wallace. As far as RB.......I think Miller is a better option than Bush and the running game should be better.........again, thanks to Wallace.

Now the D, as some of you may know.......I was not a fan of Sean Smith.......so we lost Smith and added Brent Grimes, Jamar Taylor, Will Davis and for what it's worth Richard Marshall will be healthy. The secondary has improved, maybe drastically.

Dion Jordan, a more experienced Oliver Vernon and two LB's (Wheeler & Ellerbe) should improve the pass rush.........again, maybe drastically.

Sat May 11, 2013 11:05 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

People need to not be so sensitive.

What have we done that deserves the benefit of the doubt?

People aren't idiots for thinking this team isn't a contender.

Sat May 11, 2013 11:09 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:

What the hell has St. Louis done to deserve the benefit of the doubt? They went out and gave Jared Cook Pro Bowl money. They paid Jake Long when no one else besides Miami was going to look to pay him ANYWHERE near what he wanted.

They gave up a boat load of draft pick to get Tavon Austin. Miami BEAT the Rams last year.

Do the Dolphins need to prove it on the field, NO QUESTION.

Miami is my TEAM. I'm tired of reading all the negativity. I know it want change until the Dolphins win. But that sure does not mean I can't come on this forum and vent my butt off about it.

Sat May 11, 2013 11:41 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

And sure as hell did not say "BUTT" either.

Sat May 11, 2013 11:42 am

Wait until we shove 13 wins down their throats.

Sat May 11, 2013 12:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:

exactly. Right now we are just paper champions. We can win 2 or 3 more games than we did last year, it's very possible. But it's possible we only finish .500 too.

Sat May 11, 2013 12:27 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

exactly. Right now we are just paper champions. We can win 2 or 3 more games than we did last year, it's very possible. But it's possible we only finish .500 too.

I think we were over rated for most of last season. I think we're better than last season; probably much better. But the schedule is much tougher, and La CanDumbass is right. It takes time to mesh a lot of new pieces.

Sat May 11, 2013 1:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

You can never tell..........but the schedule isn't too bad.........first we get to play the Bills and Jets twice...........we've got the AFC Central, which maybe the weakest division in the NFL this year. I'd rather play the NFC South than the NFC West like we did last year.

Atlanta and New England are the only premier teams......and 2 of those 3 games are at home.

Sat May 11, 2013 2:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
Wait until we shove 13 wins down their throats.

I'll be happy with 10, but I like the way you're thinking.
:yay:

Sat May 11, 2013 3:05 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I think we were over rated for most of last season. I think we're better than last season; probably much better. But the schedule is much tougher, and La CanDumbass is right. It takes time to mesh a lot of new pieces.

First off, there is no hype. I haven't seen one national guy proclaim this team is a contender and I don't think anyone here is getting annoyed about that. The only thing they've said is Miami has improved...they have. This constant assault about Ireland desperation/too much free agency/overrated team has gotten on people's nerves. That is why you keep seeing these responses.

The only reason to doubt Miami is if you don't think Tannehill is legit.

Sat May 11, 2013 5:38 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

jammer wrote:

The only reason to doubt Miami is if you don't think Tannehill is legit.

Very true. If Tannehill is average, we're not going anywhere. ButI think he'll be fine. It is important, that we keep Sherman, Philbin here for this season and the next. Exciting times for Miami, right now.

Sun May 12, 2013 12:52 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Makchell wrote:
Disappointments

Miami Dolphins: No team has been flashier since the start of free agency in March, loading up on free agents, throwing cash around and then making a bold trade up to the third overall pick in draft to nab Dion Jordan. I'm just not sure how much better they're going to be. Questions remain at left tackle and in the secondary and in the running game, to name a few. Suddenly there is a buzz about this being a team on the rise and ready to enter the playoff equation.

I just don't see it right now.

Usually, when you bring in this much outside talent, it either doesn't take at all, or it takes more than a year to click. We'll see how Ryan Tannehill progresses in his second season as their quarterback and if there is a leadership void with guys like Karlos Dansby no longer around. I still don't see them being any real threat to the Patriots in the AFC East, and with teams like the Colts and Bengals still likely in the wild card scene, I don't see Miami unseating anyone being much more than an 8-8 team at best. Not sure there is enough bite on defense surrounding Cameron Wake, and not sure this team will be able to grind out wins down the stretch.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2222 ... phins-hype

Good...I hope the national media doesn't jump on the band wagon and add extra pressure. Miami seems to do better when we are underestimated...

Sun May 12, 2013 12:55 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Jason LaCanfora has been a bona fide Fins basher for a long time. However, what he is saying is that there are still questions...He's right...our season hinges on Tanny coming of age, Miller/Thomas/Gillislee proving they can get the job done (which is a question mark), Martin filling the shoes of Jake Long (something he was less than stellar at in 2012), the health of Grimes, Louis, Marshall, Keller (all coming off major injuries), and not leastly, all the pieces we've added melding together which can take some time. Add in a very tough schedule and a very young team overall and you've got recipe for a boom or bust season. We can actually be a much better team than we've been and still be 8-8. I'd buy that as a fan, but the media will bash the team/coaches/GM relentlessly becuase of it...

Sun May 12, 2013 7:47 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

shularino wrote:
You can never tell..........but the schedule isn't too bad.........first we get to play the Bills and Jets twice...........we've got the AFC Central, which maybe the weakest division in the NFL this year. I'd rather play the NFC South than the NFC West like we did last year.

Atlanta and New England are the only premier teams......and 2 of those 3 games are at home.

Well, Cleveland has added pieces and could be very improved. Cincy is a legit playoff team, then add in Pitts and Balt...not an easy division to play. We also play NO, not going to be easy...we all know last year was an anomaly for them. Colts are very good team... Then you've got the teams we should beat (Carolina, Bucs, Bolts).... and any record over 8-8 means sweeping the jests and jills, something we can't seem to do and stealing one from NE....no I don't see an easy schedule...

Sun May 12, 2013 7:53 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Larryfinfan wrote:
Jason LaCanfora has been a bona fide Fins basher for a long time. However, what he is saying is that there are still questions...He's right...our season hinges on Tanny coming of age, Miller/Thomas/Gillislee proving they can get the job done (which is a question mark.

That isn't the point. The guy outright labeled our team as "disappointments" after having the most successful (arguably) off season in the league. There are "question marks" on every darn team in every sport, it doesn't mean they should be labeled as a disappointment because of it.

This article is laughable. Jeff Ireland and Miami can't do crap right, last season we were lazy in free agency, and now we kick absolute butt and it's the same exact song as last season, just a different tune. They better respond this season, or the bashing will never stop, but this time, it really is not justifiable at all in regards to how well we did the past few months. Ludicrous.

Sun May 12, 2013 4:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I saw 3 different analysts pick us to make the playoffs today.

Thu May 16, 2013 12:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]