View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Incognito might have to compete for job 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Incognito might have to compete for job
Quote:
Incognito might have to compete for job

The Palm Beach Post thinks Dolphins LG Richie Incognito "might" have to compete with third-round rookie G/T Dallas Thomas for the left guard job.

Incognito, 30 in July, has started 47-of-48 games since joining the Dolphins, and he has just one year left on his deal. Pro Football Focus graded Incognito out as its No. 14 left guard in 2012. The Dolphins can save $4.3 million against the cap by releasing him. Thomas is a natural fit for Miami's zone-blocking scheme.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51783394/ ... ayer_news/

Mon May 06, 2013 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Incognito might have to compete for job
Quote:
The Palm Beach Post thinks Dolphins LG Richie Incognito "might" have to compete

Whoa. Looks like Incognito should sell his house!

Richie probably gets the final year of his contract while the rookie develops, but don't expect him to be resigned.

It's already looking like 2014 will be another year of significant turnover.

Mon May 06, 2013 5:06 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

release???? haha. Yea, cuz we have that kind of depth. NOT
Even if Dallas beats him out for the job, no way would I let go of Richie.

Mon May 06, 2013 5:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think Incognito is safe this year. Miami has other veterans they can release for cap savings if needed. Carpenter, Patterson & Marshall are three that come to mind.

Mon May 06, 2013 6:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

bobby0112 wrote:
I think Incognito is safe this year. Miami has other veterans they can release for cap savings if needed. Carpenter, Patterson & Marshall are three that come to mind.

I'm not really up to date with this, but could we release Carpenter sometime during camp (if the staff sees more potential in Sturgis) and still gain some additional cap from it? What is the deadline? I believe it is sometime during the summer?

Mon May 06, 2013 7:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

There's no way that Miami is releasing Incognito, we just don't have the depth on the offensive line to make a move like that. I said in my blog that Thomas may push Incognito for the starting job but that I didn't think he'd win it in his rookie year, and I stand by that. Incognito isn't a great fit for the zone scheme, but I don't see him getting beaten by a rookie. Not yet.

Mon May 06, 2013 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If Dallas Thomas out plays Incognito, and that is a pretty big if if you ask me. Incognito made the Pro Bowl last year despite struggling a little in his first year of the new system. Image how good he'll play in his second year? But lets just say Thomas does win, then we would simply move Incognito to right guard where he would probably be one of the best right guards in the NFL. Incognito is a very versatile player who can play just about every position on the line if asked. The only way we get rid of Incognito is if Thomas hands down beats him in camp and someone comes out of the wood works and makes us a trade offer we can't refuse for Incognito (like a 3rd or 4th).

I personally love the idea of this line:
LT - Martin
LG - Thomas
C - Pouncey
RG - Incognito
RT - Clabo
If Martin and Thomas play solid, then this is going to be a very good line. But that too is a pretty big if. Both guys are young and unproven. But if they're up to the task, you know Pouncey, Incognito, and Clabo will hold up their end.

Tue May 07, 2013 4:57 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

He will get to compete with Richie and if he pushes him a bit all the better. Incognito may become a cap casaulity next year, however I would prefer he starts 16 games and makes the pro bowl again, at least we may get a nice comp pick out of it.

But for a guy who can play both G positions, and C I think he is valuable to keep around if the price is right.

Wed May 08, 2013 7:00 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:

I'm not really up to date with this, but could we release Carpenter sometime during camp (if the staff sees more potential in Sturgis) and still gain some additional cap from it? What is the deadline? I believe it is sometime during the summer?

There is no deadline to release Carpenter and get cap relief. There is however, a June 1st cut-off where the impact of his contract against the cap changes.

Wed May 08, 2013 7:07 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

The Dolphins are anticipating him leaving, which is probably why they drafted Thomas. Remember how they drafted Jonathan Martin last year knowing that Jake Long was in the final year of his deal. Long walked and Martin is the new starting LT, just as I predicted it.

I think Incognito leaves after this year. His blocking style doesn't fit Coach Philbin's scheme.

Wed May 08, 2013 7:12 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

None of these guys on our O-line should be a lock to start. All of them need someone pushing them.

Thu May 09, 2013 6:43 am

catman_56 wrote:
None of these guys on our O-line should be a lock to start. All of them need someone pushing them.

Really? Even Mike Pouncey, the 8th rated center in the league?

Thu May 09, 2013 7:34 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:

There is no deadline to release Carpenter and get cap relief. There is however, a June 1st cut-off where the impact of his contract against the cap changes.

The Pre-jun 1 figure for Carpenter is the same as the post June 1, so it doesn't really matter (last year of his contract). I doubt they'll release him until later in TC at any rate. Carpenter is a good enough kicker that someone will like his resume in the NFL...

That all said, I think that there are few guys that are secure in their positions. Philbin has made that pretty clear... My guess is that maybe 4 guys on O and 5 guys on D are penciled in to return where they were last year. We have a slew of question marks (TE, LT, LG, RG, RT, RB, FB/HB, SLB, MLB, ILB, DE, FS, LCB, RCB, PK, LS, Returner) We have lots of names, but exactly where everyone fits in is still in question...

Then there are the injured guys (Keller, Grimes, Louis, Gibson, Kaddu, Marshall, McKrae, D. Thomas). Will they return to their previous status ??

There's a lot of question marks on this team. That's not to say things can't turn out good for us, but there are a lot of questions...anyone save for a 10-12 guys probably have to 'prove' themselves...

Thu May 09, 2013 1:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]