View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Mike Dee: "The Future Looks Bleak" 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Mike Dee: "The Future Looks Bleak"
Quote:
"We cannot do this without a private-public partnership," Dee told WFOR-TV in Miami. "At this time we have no intention of investing more."

When asked about the long-term future of the Dolphins in South Florida, Dee said: "I wouldn't want to prognosticate what the future holds, but it's clearly bleak."

Dee said in the interview that 73-year-old owner Stephen Ross has no intentions to move the franchise but at some point he'll sell the team and the aging stadium will be an issue confronting the new owner.

"I don't think it's an option for Steve Ross, but for a subsequent owner? The Dolphins are one of the only franchises in the National Football League that do not have a long-term lease with their community," he said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/92463 ... o-mike-dee

Mon May 06, 2013 9:00 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Mike Dee: "The Future Looks Bleak"
I'm a little confused by this "stadium upgrade" deal.

Didn't the Dolphins recently upgrade the club level and even add a club in the stadium?

And why can't the Dolphins do a partial renovation with the money they are already committed to spending?

It seems like white the Speaker of the House flexed his political muscles to kill the bill, the Dolphins are also flexing their muscles from a threat standpoint to try and get their way. I feel there is pressure from the NFL to get them to do this.

If a team ever committed to paying for their own stadium or stadium renovations, the league would have a much harder time getting teams to acquire public funding.

I'd like for the stadium to get renovated, and I don't have a problem with Ross making an attempt to acquire public funds, but if he can't get them, then he should find a plan B instead of having Mike Dee go out and threaten the public with the team being sold and possibly moving.

We are literally being black-mailed by both sides.

Mon May 06, 2013 10:01 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Mike Dee: "The Future Looks Bleak"
I consider it all posturing at this point. I don't think they are close to moving the team, nor do I think things are as bleak as they make it sound. Sun Life Stadium, or whatever we are calling it now, is still a decent venue and should be for at least another 5 or 7 years. They do need to address upgrading or replacing the stadium, but this issue won't die here, it will be resurrected to live another day.

Mon May 06, 2013 3:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]