View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Ireland: Dion Jordan could end up at LB 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Ireland: Dion Jordan could end up at LB
I would be concerned that we traded up and selected Dion Jordan at #3 and aren't sure if we are going to use him at DE or OLB, but Jason Taylor had no problems going from one position to another. A pass rush of Jordan, Vernon, Cam Wake, and Odrick sound like a good force coming the quarterback.

Quote:
Ireland: Dion Jordan could end up at LB

Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland said No. 3 overall pick Dion Jordan could end up at linebacker.

"That's what I like about him," Ireland said. "He's very versatile and he played linebacker [at Oregon] and he also rushed the passer. [When] we get our hands on him, [we will] see where the best place he'll fit. We've got a great vision for him. Part of that's going to be rushing the passer but the other part's up to [coach Joe Philbin]." Jordan will certainly rush the passer plenty, but he's so athletic that he could end up covering tight ends like Rob Gronkowski.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51757104/ ... ayer_news/

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri May 03, 2013 6:39 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Ireland: Dion Jordan could end up at LB
Croyle runs a hybrid system, and I have no issue with Jordan at DE in a 4-3 or as an OLB in a 3-4. Either way he was drafted to be an edge rusher, and I would imagine that will be his main focus this year as they train him and teach him technique..

Looking at Wake from the time he came in, picking up time as a back up for Taylor and Porter, to now being one of the best at his position I am not too worried about how Jordan will be handled.

Fri May 03, 2013 6:47 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Croyle intends on having Jordan line up all over the place to keep the QB guessing. The party is going to start with Brandon Weeden, he will have nightmares about Wake and Jordan.

Fri May 03, 2013 7:54 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I would love him to play DE and then drop into coverage while Elbert zone blitz. Have Jordan rush from the wam position over top Odrick and/or Wake. Imagine him and Wake from the same side? Ouch, I like that he's a hybrid.

Fri May 03, 2013 8:01 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Julian Peterson.

Fri May 03, 2013 8:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

MdDolfan wrote:
Croyle intends on having Jordan line up all over the place to keep the QB guessing. The party is going to start with Brandon Weeden, he will have nightmares about Wake and Jordan.

The position name is called Leo. He is a combination of a linebacker and and end. They call that Leo. Here is a definition from the article linked below.

"The Leo is a rushing linebacker/defensive end type who plays fast and is effective at getting to the quarterback."

http://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/index.ssf ... ks_di.html

Fri May 03, 2013 2:55 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Versatility will lead to Jordan being used in many ways

Fri May 03, 2013 3:49 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

go watch his college highlight reel...they had him lining up ni the scondary on some snaps...guy is really versatile.

Fri May 03, 2013 5:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
go watch his college highlight reel...they had him lining up ni the scondary on some snaps...guy is really versatile.

Yep, as a SAM linebacker he would have the ability to be a stand up pass rusher, a run stopper, and someone who covers tightends, runningbacks, and possibly even slot receivers. With his athletic skill set I think he's primed to replace Misi this season.

Sun May 05, 2013 6:00 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Jordan will certainly rush the passer plenty, but he's so athletic that he could end up covering tight ends like Rob Gronkowski.

Even better, if the Pats feel they have to keep Gronk in to block when Jordan and Wake are teeing off.

Last edited by k-dash on Mon May 06, 2013 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 05, 2013 8:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:
[url]Jordan will certainly rush the passer plenty, but he's so athletic that he could end up covering tight ends like Rob Gronkowski.[/url]

Even better, if the Pats feel they have to keep Gronk in to block when Jordan and Wake are teeing off.

I love how we drafted two linebackers capable of covering tightends.

I think Jordan will match up well against Gronkowski. Jordan can beat him as a pass rusher and he can neutralize him when he drops back into coverage.

Same goes for Jelani Jenkins, if we use him in subpackages he can cover down on Hernandez and keep him from burning us.

Bottom line, Jordan and Jenkins give the Phins the ability to neutralize or diminish the damage caused by Gronkowski and Hernandez.

Sun May 05, 2013 10:47 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

wkloiber13 wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Yep, as a SAM linebacker he would have the ability to be a stand up pass rusher, a run stopper, and someone who covers tightends, runningbacks, and possibly even slot receivers. With his athletic skill set I think he's primed to replace Misi this season.

No one drafts Sam LBs at number 3. I love the talent but unless we switch back to a 3-4 (OLB what he is best suited for) he will most likely play DE and cover the occasional TE. I am a little concerned about him playing with his hand in the dirt. I have little faith they will know how to use him creatively. Hope I'm wrong.

Tue May 07, 2013 5:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]