View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Brandon Marshall in the WildCat 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Brandon Marshall in the WildCat
Well, somebody was going to think of it eventually...

How does he get involved in the WildCat? With his strength, blocking and run after the catch ability, you got to think he will be involved somehow.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:48 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Brandon Marshall in the WildCat
I guess he seals off the outside for a sweep or he runs downfield to create room underneath for the wildcat.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I don't see him in the WC, but thats not to say he won't be.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:51 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Do we use the Wildcat as much now?
Its hard to say if we will use or need it as much now as in the past.We manly use it to hide the fact that we had no real (wr) to scare the D-fence.But now it looks as if we do,I want to say no we dont us it as much that we us it as more to throw the D-fence off its game. But with Marshall it will open up more opp in the wildcat formation now teams will def have to think about pass and run and not just the running part. Just my 2cents. What so you think?

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:52 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Oh God...

How about we just shelve the Wildcat. We won't need it anymore.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:52 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
Well, somebody was going to think of it eventually...

How does he get involved in the WildCat? With his strength, blocking and run after the catch ability, you got to think he will be involved somehow.

:embarrassed: I see you beat me to it I just posted the same ? I see I need to be a little faster on the trigger lol

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:54 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

I can see him in the QB Counter with Marshall running down the field and the speed sweep as he can break a tackle or two and be gone.

Coach Henning will get him in there some how, I would think.

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:57 pm
Profile YIM

I agree Hen.

We always talk about how Dan Henning is an idiot and doesn't know how to utilize this and that...but he is creative. I think he gets the man involved in some capacity.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:07 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I disagree with shelving the wildcat... didn't we average something like 8 ypc with Ronnie running it?
Why can something that effective?

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:08 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The Hen wrote:
I can see him in the QB Counter with Marshall running down the field and the speed sweep as he can break a tackle or two and be gone.

Coach Henning will get him in there some how, I would think.

Good work on the playbook :yay:

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Oh God...

:) You had me going for a second there.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:44 pm

IamPZ wrote:
I disagree with shelving the wildcat... didn't we average something like 8 ypc with Ronnie running it?

No we didn't average 8 ypc running the Wildcat...

And once teams started crashing their corners, the Wildcat became ineffective. See the New Orleans game.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Oh God...

+1 :yay:

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:48 pm

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

No we didn't average 8 ypc running the Wildcat...

And once teams started crashing their corners, the Wildcat became ineffective. See the New Orleans game.

I'd imagine that with an entire off season to adjust, you'd be able to compensate.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:48 pm
Phinfever FFL Commish
Phinfever FFL Commish

I think the wildcat was developed because we didn't have a true WR1.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TennFinFan13 wrote:

That doesn't mean you have to get rid of it. It was developed for lack of WR talent, but also to get both the top 5 picks at RB on the field at the same time.

Most innovations come out of necessity. This was no different, but if it works, there's no need to be ashamed of it and utilize it.

I don't think Marshall makes the Wildcat any better...if you're going to throw out of it, it's a surprise factor, so anybody can get open if the defense isn't ready for it.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Wildwhat???

How about some good old-fashioned play action passing to a guy that can go up and get the ball....and get yards after the catch. I suspect that the acquisition of Marshall will give us dividends in the run game....a lot less 8 in the box next year.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:21 pm
Phinfever FFL Commish
Phinfever FFL Commish

Iowafin wrote:
TennFinFan13 wrote:

That doesn't mean you have to get rid of it. It was developed for lack of WR talent, but also to get both the top 5 picks at RB on the field at the same time.

Most innovations come out of necessity. This was no different, but if it works, there's no need to be ashamed of it and utilize it.

I don't think Marshall makes the Wildcat any better...if you're going to throw out of it, it's a surprise factor, so anybody can get open if the defense isn't ready for it.

I didn't say get rid of it. I didn't say be ashamed of it. I didn't say don't utilize it. Shula switched from a run-oriented offense under Czonka, Kick, Morris to a pass oriented offense under Marino, so I certainly didn't say not to use your available talent. I was simply pointing out that it was delveoped because we didn't have a true #1WR.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TennFinFan13 wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
TennFinFan13 wrote:

I didn't say get rid of it. I didn't say be ashamed of it. I didn't say don't utilize it. Shula switched from a run-oriented offense under Czonka, Kick, Morris to a pass oriented offense under Marino, so I certainly didn't say not to use your available talent. I was simply pointing out that it was delveoped because we didn't have a true #1WR.

Oh I know, I didn't mean to imply you were saying that. I was just going off what you said to make another point.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:49 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I think we finally ahve a QB and a #1 reciever and we don't need the wildcat. SKin it and make some boots.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
I think we finally ahve a QB and a #1 reciever and we don't need the wildcat. SKin it and make some boots.

Just because you bought a new sports car doesn't mean you have to stop using the fuel efficient compact car.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:58 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Just because you bought a new sports car doesn't mean you have to stop using the fuel efficient compact car.

Exactly... everyone wants to "shelf" the one thing that helped make this team as successful as its been the past 2 years...

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:18 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i think we will still use it, just not nearly as much...and when we are in a jam passing and running the ball you might see it.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:21 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rhoads30 wrote:
i think we will still use it, just not nearly as much...and when we are in a jam passing and running the ball you might see it.

It will still be used as goaline plays, and you'll see trick plays out of it between the 40's.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

the shotgun formation was a "gimmick" play, and i don't see any team shelving it any time soon.

i actually think that the wildcat (single wing) offense has been around before the shotgun, so for those who all say to get back to old fashioned football............

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:40 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Why would you want to get our new $10-Million-Dollar-Man busted up running & blocking for a few yards & risk injury .... when he should be running wild in opponents backfields stealing everyone's candy!! I waited 10-20 years for a stud WR & you want to bust him up. Hell, just buy him a motorcycle why don't cha!!

Except for a couple WildCat passes to him ... put him on the bench for the WildCat & put the TEs in ... or the splinter pickers from Ohio State!!

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:57 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:
I agree Hen.

We always talk about how Dan Henning is an idiot and doesn't know how to utilize this and that...but he is creative. I think he gets the man involved in some capacity.

If by creative you mean the wildcat, I think you give him too much credit. David Lee brought it over with him from Arkansas. I hate Henning, the minute I see Marshall running any curls, comebacks, hooks or digs I will take out an add in all the Miami area papers petitioning to fire his ass.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

finfan808 wrote:
I hate Henning, the minute I see Marshall running any curls, comebacks, hooks or digs I will take out an add in all the Miami area papers petitioning to fire his ass.

So he's only allowed to run posts, flags, drags, slants, go's and screens? Makes sense...that way you limit his options, and the defense can better prepare for it.

In case you didn't know, getting the ball into your playmakers hands as quickly as possible is how you beat teams.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:33 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

IamPZ wrote:

I'm with you, PZ. I like the Wild Cat. My guess is that Parcells isn't done with it yet and we may see him draft another player this year that can improve it.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:31 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
Oh God...

Quote of the Year. Thanks Rich.

I was so happy when we shelved at the end of last season.

Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Vontae Davis.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:42 am

Iowafin wrote:
Makchell wrote:

A conventional running game is a fuel efficient compact car.

The Wildcat is an exotic hybrid that has a limited turn ratio.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:03 am

Project86JLL13 wrote:
the shotgun formation was a "gimmick" play, and i don't see any team shelving it any time soon.

i actually think that the wildcat (single wing) offense has been around before the shotgun, so for those who all say to get back to old fashioned football............

The shotgun has limitless options. You can run draws and screens out of it, you can run the entire route tree out of it. You can run it out of 3 WR, 4 WR, 5 WR, 2WR 2TE.

Out of the Wildcat we have like 5 options...

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:05 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The biggest reason I tired of the Wildcat was the fact it makes it tough for Henne to get in a good rhythm. He moves the team down the field, gets a hot hand and then we throw in WC package and he is taken out of the play. I am also surprised a defender hasn't just knocked him on his @$$ at the line of scrimmage.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:33 am

Dolfanrar wrote:
The biggest reason I tired of the Wildcat was the fact it makes it tough for Henne to get in a good rhythm. He moves the team down the field, gets a hot hand and then we throw in WC package and he is taken out of the play. I am also surprised a defender hasn't just knocked him on his @$$ at the line of scrimmage.

:yay:

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:41 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
Dolfanrar wrote:

While I like the Wild Cat, I think this is a problem. Still, I hear it all the time, but my thoughts are a quarterback does not throw the ball every play. If he steps out of the offense for a couple of plays, does it really throw off his rhythm? I am not so sure. I do know that it can throw off the offense's rhythm if it is put in at the wrong time. The whole offense changes when the Wild Cat comes in and out. Maybe this does affect the QB. I'd have to see more in depth stats on this and that isn't going to happen.

If was a coach, I'd tell my DB to knock the QB on his rear end. This isn't a gentleman's game. It is the consequences of keeping your QB on the field. Everyone is fair game.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:57 am
Profile WWW

Big Dave wrote:
a quarterback does not throw the ball every play. If he steps out of the offense for a couple of plays, does it really throw off his rhythm?

Most quarterbacks have a run-pass choice to make at the line of scrimmage.

The Wildcat takes this away from the entire offense. If there is a defense called to stop the play, you can't audible out of it in the Wildcat.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:59 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Big Dave wrote:
Rich wrote:
Dolfanrar wrote:

While I like the Wild Cat, I think this is a problem. Still, I hear it all the time, but my thoughts are a quarterback does not throw the ball every play. If he steps out of the offense for a couple of plays, does it really throw off his rhythm? I am not so sure. I do know that it can throw off the offense's rhythm if it is put in at the wrong time. The whole offense changes when the Wild Cat comes in and out. Maybe this does affect the QB. I'd have to see more in depth stats on this and that isn't going to happen.

If was a coach, I'd tell my DB to knock the QB on his rear end. This isn't a gentleman's game. It is the consequences of keeping your QB on the field. Everyone is fair game.

After the beating the Jets took last year I could see Ryan putting in an extra linebacker to take a cheap shot at Henne.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:07 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dolfanrar wrote:
After the beating the Jets took last year I could see Ryan putting in an extra linebacker to take a cheap shot at Henne.

I was thinking Ryan as well. I guess a linebacker would be a cheap shot, but he all ready has aggressive players in his secondary that could do the job easily.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:12 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Dolfanrar wrote:

Exactly. That's why I got tired of it too. Every time that Henne would get a rhythm going, they would yank him and bring in White or use the RBs in the Wildcat. It killed his rhythm and made it that much tougher on a first year starter.

Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Vontae Davis.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:06 am

Lokki wrote:
Dolfanrar wrote:

Exactly. That's why I got tired of it too. Every time that Henne would get a rhythm going, they would yank him and bring in White or use the RBs in the Wildcat. It killed his rhythm and made it that much tougher on a first year starter.

I agree with this too actually... although I do love the wildcat... the time to get it going is not in the middle of a hot streak run by Henne... thats foolish... only time we should see it in a situation like that is on the goal line.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next