View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Bryant McKinnie Visiting Dolphins, Taking Physical Today 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Bryant McKinnie Visiting Dolphins, Taking Physical Today
Ravens veteran free agent offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie is visiting the Miami Dolphins today and taking a physical, according to a source.
No deal has developed at this stage, though, with the source saying: "Nothing more than visit right now."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/rave ... 0511.story

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:55 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Bryant McKinnie Visiting Dolphins, Taking Physical Today
Isn't he the exact opposite of what Miami is looking for? Has to be a leverage move against Winston or a trading partner.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

McKinnie as I understand played really well the past couple of years at left tackle.

Could be a 1-2 year fill gap by signing him. Not sure what kind of money he is commanding?

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

He's not going to command a high salary, so it wouldn't be a commitment salary cap wise. Someone with the PFF numbers correct me if I'm wrong, but he performed very well in his time for Baltimore.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cspooner13 wrote:
He's not going to command a high salary, so it wouldn't be a commitment salary cap wise. Someone with the PFF numbers correct me if I'm wrong, but he performed very well in his time for Baltimore.

They finally started him just at the playoffs, and he played his considerable butt off. However, being in MD I heard that the reason he wasn't a regular starter prior to that (in spite of the fact that he was clearly the best option) was because he dogged it in practice, was lazy, overweight and wouldn't conform to the coach's expectations. Then, when they put him on the field, he came alive and played very well. Doesn't sound like Philbin's type.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Unless... it was an incentive-laden contract that rewards him for behaving himself, staying in shape, etc.

Somewhere, Alan Iverson is screaming "Practice! We're talking about PRACTICE here."

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:55 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

cspooner13 wrote:

I know he performed very well during the playoff run for the Ravens last year. If he is motivated, and I think he will be back home and playing in front of family and friends, he can be very solid.

Ireland did not rule out trading for Branden Albert still and Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports still think Albert will be traded, probably for a 2nd round pick in 2014.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:55 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I think McKinnie would be better than Martin. He would be motivated playing in Miami in front of friends, his mom lives in Baltimore. The ultimate motivation is the money though....and he is not in the best of financial situations with only 2-3 years at best left to his playing career. He was contracted to make around 3mm last yr with Ravens but took a pay cut down to around 2mm basically in lieu of getting cut. McKinnie realizes that he doesn't have too many more opportunities out there and I think would be extremely motivated for that reason alone.

like I said, he would be better than what is currently on the roster. Better than Albert? No, but much cheaper and without the long term commitment. An incentive laden contract would bring out the best in him.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

I know he performed very well during the playoff run for the Ravens last year. If he is motivated, and I think he will be back home and playing in front of family and friends, he can be very solid.

Ireland did not rule out trading for Branden Albert still and Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports still think Albert will be traded, probably for a 2nd round pick in 2014.

A 2014 2nd rounder is better than a 2013 2nd rounder

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:54 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The second round of this years draft was better than the first

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Of course, next year we will be drafting much later, so degs is exactly right.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Ian Rappaport reports that Bryant McKinnie texted him saying he is "hopeful" that a deal gets done with Miami, and implies he believes such a deal will happen. If motivated, this is a very good thing for Miami, as McKinnie has proven to be a very good OLT. If not motivated, he's a dog. Philbin is an O-line coach, right? How good a motivator is he? Let the $$$$ be the motivator. He's the best OLT option out there. If not this, then Winston. Tomorrow, please... I don't like waiting. :yay:

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:22 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

k-dash wrote:
Ian Rappaport reports that Bryant McKinnie texted him saying he is "hopeful" that a deal gets done with Miami, and implies he believes such a deal will happen. If motivated, this is a very good thing for Miami, as McKinnie has proven to be a very good OLT. If not motivated, he's a dog. Philbin is an O-line coach, right? How good a motivator is he? Let the $$$$ be the motivator. He's the best OLT option out there. If not this, then Winston. Tomorrow, please... I don't like waiting. :yay:

Philbin will let Bryant know just like he let John Jerry know to come into camp in shape or else. I would have to believe he will get an incentive laden deal.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:42 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

k-dash wrote:

I know I called this last month but now I'm backtracking a bit. Heard that he is a party animal and a strip club regular...lazy and can't keep his weight down BUT if we know this then Ire-Bin (my new name for Philbin & Ireland) knows way more and if they decide to sign him then I'm ALL IN because we know Philbin is anal as hell so either McKinnie gets it or gets cut!

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

MdDolfan wrote:
if we know this then Ire-Bin (my new name for Philbin & Ireland) knows way more and if they decide to sign him then I'm ALL IN because we know Philbin is anal as hell so either McKinnie gets it or gets cut!

I must agree with my fellow Marylander. Get in, Bryant. Get all the way in, or don't bother getting in at all. You won with the Ravens... now come home and help us win too.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

2005: Disorderly Conduct and Obstucting the Legal Process
2005: Loveboat
2008: Aggravated Battery, Disorderly Conduct, Resisting Arrest

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Not too sure about McKinnie. He's a great player, but he's 33 and has weight issues. If the Dolphins are absolutely desperate to not start Martin at left tackle this season, then I'd be ok with them signing him to a one year deal as a stop gap.

But honestly I'm sort of hoping the Dolphins play Martin at left tackle this year just so they can figure out whether or not he's the guy to protect Tannehill's blindside in the future.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:10 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

wkloiber13 wrote:
Not too sure about McKinnie. He's a great player, but he's 33 and has weight issues. If the Dolphins are absolutely desperate to not start Martin at left tackle this season, then I'd be ok with them signing him to a one year deal as a stop gap.

But honestly I'm sort of hoping the Dolphins play Martin at left tackle this year just so they can figure out whether or not he's the guy to protect Tannehill's blindside in the future.

Yeah I think I agree with you but I would also be interested to know how did all the tackles drafted in the first round the past 10 years perform in their first year? Was there a rough learning curve or were they elite right away? I remember Jake Long struggling big time and getting abused against speed rushers. Rich if you have time could you look that up?

So I wouldn't mind the McKinnie signing to create competition at LT but I would root for Martin to win....let's keep the youth movement going and allow Martin to seperated himself and take the LT job like he did at Stanford protecting Luck....

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:40 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

McKinnie in Miami/South Beach just sounds like trouble.

No idea why the Dolphins have not considered Max Starks. Guy is cheap, played well with Roethlisberger...knows how to help a quarterback extend plays.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]