View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Mike Wallace with a stupid homophobic tweet 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Mike Wallace with a stupid homophobic tweet
Mike had some thoughts on Jason Collins coming out this morning...

Quote:
All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH.

For those who don't know, "SMH" is "shaking my head".

Later he deleted it and said this...

Quote:
Never said anything was right or wrong I just said I don't understand!! Deeply sorry for anyone that I offended

https://twitter.com/Wallace17_daKid

How stupid can you be? I mean really...

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:47 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Mike Wallace with a stupid homophobic tweet
Phins Rock wrote:
How stupid can you be? I mean really...

I don't see what is stupid about it. I think the problem is we're too politically correct in this society.

He gave his opinion, from his point of view, which is the only point of view he can have. He simply stated he doesn't understand something.

Sorry, but I agree with him. I don't understand homosexuality either.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't hire a gay person or have one as a friend, neighbor etc.

It just means I don't understand one dude being with another. And quite frankly, I don't have to understand it.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:50 pm

Nobody understands it. Biologically, as far as I know, we don't.

Is that really what Mike meant though?

And even if it's not, it's not even about the hate vs ignorance thing here, it's stupid to tweet something like that out at all. It's not about being politically correct or not, it's about having respect for a community. Even if what he meant to say was innocent, (which I doubt), he could not have picked a worse way of phrasing it.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:54 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

People need to stop being so overly sensitive!! I work with gay people consider some good friends and I have said the same exact thing to there faces and usually gotten a laugh out of it. Alot worse has been said or tweeted this isnt even a story in my book

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:55 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Some things are just better left unsaid. This is why pro athletes should just delete their twitter accounts because it is nothing but trouble. I am a straight man but truth is some people are born with conditions. I don't know what is so hard to understand... You ask 99% of gay men if they prefer to be straight, and they will say yes.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:55 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Its less competition for the rest of us, embrace it...

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:00 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Nobody understands it. Biologically, as far as I know, we don't.

And even if it's not, it's not even about the hate vs ignorance thing here, it's stupid to tweet something like that out at all. It's not about being politically correct or not, it's about having respect for a community. Even if what he meant to say was innocent, (which I doubt), he could not have picked a worse way of phrasing it.

Uh, he could have said much much worse.

Rich is correct though, we have been trained to immediately have your type of reaction PR. Anything else would be considered hatred.

I'm personally indifferent to homosexuality because quite frankly it doesn't make or break my life. I say live and let live. But if someone wants to have a different opinion I don't think they should be stone in the court of public opinion so long as they aren't physically threatening someone for their sexual preference.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

So some of you guys think Mike Wallace sent out a tweet to genuinely say "I don't understand why a guy wants another guy" ........ you don't think there was a shred of ignorance when people get to twitter or facebook and make updates like that?

C'mon .... dude typed "SMH" as in SHAKING MY HEAD at the end. This was as boneheaded as that Culliver situation with the 49'ers.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:04 pm

He worded it like people choose to be with other men, instead of women and put a "smh" at the end, like it's such a ridiculous decision to be gay.

That type is ignorance is just appalling.

I mean listen, I understand what you guys are saying. Maybe we're just reading into it differently. But to me, this was the equivalent of tweeting something like, "With all the benefits that we have as white men, why would anybody be black? SMH"...

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:08 pm

Phins Rock wrote:

I don't know and neither do you. Maybe you should actually wait to know what he meant before judging his tweet...

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:08 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I agree with Rich. Well articulated. People just have to make a big deal out of anything that sniffs of being contrary to PC.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:09 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
So some of you guys think Mike Wallace sent out a tweet to genuinely say "I don't understand why a guy wants another guy" ........ you don't think there was a shred of ignorance when people get to twitter or facebook and make updates like that?

C'mon .... dude typed "SMH" as in SHAKING MY HEAD at the end. This was as boneheaded as that Culliver situation with the 49'ers.

So saying he doesn't understand liking dudes is the same as saying no gay guys better come out in the locker room?

Yeah, ok.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:09 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
He worded it like people choose to be with other men, instead of women and put a "smh" at the end, like it's such a ridiculous decision to be gay.

That type is ignorance is just appalling.

I mean listen, I understand what you guys are saying. Maybe we're just reading into it differently. But to me, this was the equivalent of tweeting something like, "With all the benefits that we have as white men, why would anybody be black? SMH"...

Any time you act as judge and jury over someone's words without knowing their meaning or heart, you have judged unfairly. Bottom line is you are making an assumption that is based on a worst case scenario.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:11 pm

TheCarver13 wrote:
Some things are just better left unsaid.

Yes.... in the Middle East or Cuba. Not in America. At least it shouldn't be that way. There is a reason we have a 1st Amendment.

Quote:
I am a straight man but truth is some people are born with conditions.

So being gay is a "condition"? Sorry, but THAT sounds ignorant.

Quote:
I don't know what is so hard to understand...

I've never poked a dude and have no desire to do so and I don't understand why another dude would want to.

But that's his perogative.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
So saying he doesn't understand liking dudes is the same as saying no gay guys better come out in the locker room?

Yeah, ok.

It's not just that part of it specifically. It's the "SMH" applied to the end of the sentence. It's connatation is always negative. It's the equivalent of a facepalm.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:14 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yeah, ok.

It's not just that part of it specifically. It's the "SMH" applied to the end of the sentence. It's connatation is always negative. It's the equivalent of a facepalm.

Exactly. "SMH" at people being gay isn't being ignorant as to the reasons why a gay man is gay. It's showing disgust and/or disappointment towards the fact that they are gay.

Again, I guess we'll all read into it the way we want to. But to me, this was pretty homophobic, ignorant and to tweet it out irresponsible.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:17 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:

Yes, it is. But that doesn't make it hateful.

It would be no different than if you were hanging out with a straight friend and some hot chick approached him and he rejected her. You'd be shaking your head because you wouldn't be able to understand why a guy would reject a hot chick.

I don't see it as hateful at all, I see people jumping to conclusions without incomplete information and passing judgment.

So no, sorry. It is not the same as saying no one in the locker room better come out of the closet. That's a THREAT.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:18 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
It's showing disgust and/or disappointment towards the fact that they are gay.

Disgust or disappointment, that's a pretty long bridge to cross.

You know, by calling his tweet stupid and ignorant, you are essentially doing the same thing you are assuming he is doing and finding so disgusting.

Passing judgment.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Yes, it is. But that doesn't make it hateful.

It would be no different than if you were hanging out with a straight friend and some hot chick approached him and he rejected her. You'd be shaking your head because you wouldn't be able to understand why a guy would reject a hot chick.

I don't see it as hateful at all, I see people jumping to conclusions without incomplete information and passing judgment.

So no, sorry. It is not the same as saying no one in the locker room better come out of the closet. That's a THREAT.

Then Mike Wallace must be a caveman to not "understand how anyone could not want a beautiful woman" (because beauty is the only desirable trait in the first place) given all the information readily available about homosexuality. That is the difference. If your friend rejects her because of beauty you know it's not because of his sexuality.

BTW I called it ignorant, not hateful.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Exactly. "SMH" at people being gay isn't being ignorant as to the reasons why a gay man is gay. It's showing disgust and/or disappointment towards the fact that they are gay.

Again, I guess we'll all read into it the way we want to. But to me, this was pretty homophobic, ignorant and to tweet it out irresponsible.

He deleted it too which just tells you everything. If he was being sincere, he'd leave it out there and put his name on it.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:27 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Not the best thing he could have tweeted, but miles away from the worst.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
TheCarver13 wrote:
Some things are just better left unsaid.

Yes.... in the Middle East or Cuba. Not in America. At least it shouldn't be that way. There is a reason we have a 1st Amendment.

Quote:
I am a straight man but truth is some people are born with conditions.

So being gay is a "condition"? Sorry, but THAT sounds ignorant.

Quote:
I don't know what is so hard to understand...

I've never poked a dude and have no desire to do so and I don't understand why another dude would want to.

But that's his perogative.

We do have a 1st Amendment, but I made it very clear when I said "pro athletes" should delete their twitter accounts, because it is unneeded attention and distractions. Why make such comments and bring attention to yourself for no reason. Is Mike Wallace a professional football player for the Miami Dolphins or a comedian?

There is research that suggests that gay people may have hormonal imbalances, could be genetics, could be abusive experiences, could be the brain structure, so when I say what is so hard to understand, I mean why is it hard to understand that a person could have been born that way or has a condition. So the only ignorant person is you. Open your mind, not everything is black and white. Not every gay man just chose to be gay. Educate yourself because clearly you are not...

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:29 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Then Mike Wallace must be a caveman to not "understand how anyone could not want a beautiful woman" given all the information readily available about homosexuality.

That doesn't make his tweet hateful, like Culliver's comments, which was your original and erreneous point.

There's a lot of information readily available about of lot of things that millions of people do not understand. Math, physics, politics, art, boating, fishing, basket weaving, cooking.

Does that make everyone a caveman because they are not informed of all these things when that information is readily available?

Or maybe people simply are not interested in finding out about those things or are not readily exposed to them.

Armando Salguero just tweeted:

Armando Salguero: Some people that preach tolerance are very intolerant of anyone who disagrees with them.

Man, he is right.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:29 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

He deleted it too which just tells you everything. If he was being sincere, he'd leave it out there and put his name on it.

He probably deleted it because there are people who claim to hate intolerance, but are intolerant to a different point of view.

It is the sad truth in this country.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:30 pm

Nobodys ever going to confuse Mike Walace with Einstein. He needs to shut up and just catch the ball. What he said while disrespectful and stupid was just that. Had this been a Patriot or Jet then we would classify it as hateful.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
He probably deleted it because there are people who claim to hate intolerance, but are intolerant to a different point of view.

It is the sad truth in this country.

Doesn't mean he has to tweet it. If he's sincere, then stand by his comments. Pretty simple stuff here.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
There's a lot of information readily available about of lot of things that millions of people do not understand. Math, physics, politics, art, boating, fishing, basket weaving, cooking.

Does that make everyone a caveman because they are not informed of all these things when that information is readily available?

Then why is someone like Wallace commenting and putting things out in the public (knowing he's a highly popular athelete who's comments will get noticed) without being versed in the discussion?

Any way you try to spin this it was beyond stupid.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:33 pm

TheCarver13 wrote:
We do have a 1st Amendment, but I made it very clear when I said "pro athletes" should delete their twitter accounts, because it is unneeded attention and distractions.

That's not solely the fault of the pro athlete. There is the public and the media to blame. Often times, things are said, then twisted or taken out of context.

THAT is a threat to freedom of speech.

Quote:
There is research that suggests that gay people may have hormonal imbalances

Straight people have hormonal imbalances. It's called puberty. Maybe you went through it.

Women have hormonal imbalances, it is called menstruation and menopause. It seems like you went through that for sure.

Quote:
I mean why is it hard to understand that a person could have been born that way or has a condition. So the only ignorant person is you. Open your mind, not everything is black and white. Not every gay man just chose to be gay. Educate yourself because clearly you are not...

I'm fully aware that there is evidence of gay people being born that way. I don't recall ever saying otherwise. If you can find where I did, please do so. Otherwise, save your insults for youself.

Calling it a "condition" is what is ignorant. That would be what you did.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:35 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I am not gay, so the comment had no affect on my personally. I actually can relate to what he said, I do not understand either. But the reason I do not understand is because I am not gay.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Then why is someone like Wallace commenting and putting things out in the public (knowing he's a highly popular athelete who's comments will get noticed) without being versed in the discussion?

Because he has a right to do.

Quote:
Any way you try to spin this it was beyond stupid.

You are certainly entired to that opinion. But you compared it to another player who made threatening comments.

Huge difference, though I see you continue ignoring the point.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:36 pm

10acjed wrote:
I am not gay, so the comment had no affect on my personally. I actually can relate to what he said, I do not understand either. But the reason I do not understand is because I am not gay.

So what you're saying is you hate gay people and wish they would disappear...

BIGOT!

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Because he has a right to do.

I have the right to call you all kinds of things I've always wanted to, but I refrain. It's called tact. Wallace showed none of it. Just because there's a right to do something doesn't mean you should. That's the problem with Twitter and Facebook. Nobody is EVER held accountable.

Quote:
You are certainly entired to that opinion. But you compared it to another player who made threatening comments.

Huge difference, though I see you continue ignoring the point.

I compared the ignorance of it, not the threat part of it.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:38 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:

BIGOT!

no, the more gay men the more women for me... I purely a selfish homohappy person.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:41 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
I have the right to call you all kinds of things I've always wanted to, but I refrain. It's called tact. Wallace showed none of it. Just because there's a right to do something doesn't mean you should. That's the problem with Twitter and Facebook. Nobody is EVER held accountable.

That's the price that is paid for freedom of speech.

As a libertarian, I would think this is something you would deeply understand.

Quote:
I compared the ignorance of it, not the threat part of it.

Culliver's comments was far more ignorant in the fact that he actually made a threat.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:42 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

it was a stupid tweet and he shouldn't have said it, and now it's gonna be blown up by the media for a week then everyone will forget about it.

to say there was HATE behind that tweet, i think is ridiculous. all he said basically was he doesn't understand why some dudes like to poke poo.

ignorant? yes. but hateful? that's an exaggeration.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:42 pm

10acjed wrote:
Rich wrote:

BIGOT!

no, the more gay men the more women for me... I purely a selfish homohappy person.

Are you applying humor to the homo topic?

BIGOT!!!

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:44 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

An open forum for public speech (aka the internet) is our own worst enemy.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:45 pm

dolphn wrote:
all he said basically was he doesn't understand why some dudes like to poke poo.

ignorant? yes. but hateful? that's an exaggeration.

Like I said, everyone is entitled to the opinion that it was stupid or ignorant.

I call it honest and he isn't threatening to harm anyone.

We need more honesty and less bullshit, which is what being politically correct amounts to.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:46 pm

IamPZ wrote:
An open forum for public speech (aka the internet) is our own worst enemy.

Tell that to the Cubans and Chinese that live under oppressive regimes.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:47 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I dont understand why there are Jet fans, I mean there are 31 other teams in the NFL to root for, why do these people like the Jets?

Im a Jetaphobic....

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 143 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next