View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Meet New Dolphins Left Tackle, Jonathan Martimsislee 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Meet New Dolphins Left Tackle, Jonathan Martimsislee
http://thebottlenose.wordpress.com/2013 ... timsislee/

Quote:
Hmm. Right around the time Jeff Ireland performed last rites on the Branden Albert idea he began hedging his bet, drafting mammoth blocking tight end Dion Sims, along with one of the best pass blocking backs in the draft in Florida’s Mike Gillislee.

We want Jonathan Martin to excel on the left side as much as anybody, but we’re not holding our breath (great analysis of Martin’s performance last season here, by the way (http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/2/4/39 ... ch-warfare). Heck, Jeff Ireland was obviously in the market for another player to protect the blind side.

But with the idea of Martin actually starting at that crucial spot becoming more and more of a reality, we made a couple of supplemental moves. Ireland grabbed Dion Sims, considered perhaps the best blocking tight end in the draft. He also imported Florida Gator Mike Gillislee, who in addition to his talent with the ball received rave reviews for his blocking skills from just about every scout and site you can name. Dustin Keller and Lamar Miller have their skill set, but legit ability to slow Demarcus Ware will probably never appear on their resume.

So perhaps we’ll be seeing a fair amount of Dion Sims just to the left of Jonathan Martin. It wouldn’t surprise us to see a whole lot of Gillislee in the backfield too, chipping whatever DEs and LBs are coming around the Martin. Oh, and let’s throw in a lot of Dr. T rolling to his right, just in case the “blind side by committee” falters.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:46 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Meet New Dolphins Left Tackle, Jonathan Martimsislee
I am EXTREMELY nervous that Martin as of right now could be tagged as Miami's starting left tackle.

If that becomes the wrong move that will absolutely cost the Dolphins ball games and even more importantly the health of Tannehill.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:33 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I read this article last night. Great job by the author! I am very nervous about the idea of Martin being the answer at left tackle, but I'm going to choose to trust in our coaches that he's made the necessary progress to warrant being the guy.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I believe the visit by McKinnie today was a leverage ploy to push... someone. Whether that's KC to lower demands for a trade or Winston's asking price, I don't know... but Ireland has something up his sleeve, and I doubt it's McKinnie.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:31 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

That'd have to be a pretty big sleeve

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Reports are that Martin has put on 15lbs this offseason and looked good at OTAs. I wouldn't count the guy out just yet. If Martin has indeed packed on some muscle, and is stronger at the point of attack this year, then I think he's primed to take over at left tackle. He's a smart guy, I'm pretty sure he knew what he needed to work on this offseason.

In addition, I don't think the additions of Simms and Gillislee were so much for Martin as they were to complement what Keller and Miller can do. Keller is a vertical threat, not an inline blocker. Simms is an inline blocker who can also make plays in the short parts of the field and in the redzone. The two complement one another. Miller is a good young back who is able to hit the hole with speed, make one cut, and explode upfield in a hurry. But pass protection was his achilles and prevented him from playing a lot last season. While he probably has improved in this area, I still doubt it will be his strength going into the season. Gillislee is a similar back, but with less top speed, and better pass protection skills. I think the two will give the Dolphins a nice one-two punch.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]