View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
 Ireland Draft Grade 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Ireland Draft Grade
C+
Every single pick is a project. Boom or bust. This guy couldn't draft a starter if his life depended upon it. I look forward to saying bye bye Jeffy next year. He proved again he 's especially poor in the 2nd and 3rd money rounds never mind the reaches in 4 and 5.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:21 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Ireland Draft Grade
Why don't you list who you would have picked and we can check back and see how much better/worse you would have done.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:39 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

rodneyfaile wrote:
Why don't you list who you would have picked and we can check back and see how much better/worse you would have done.

lol right...

Wonder if people realize half of our starting roster was drafted by Ireland..

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:00 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

rodneyfaile wrote:

Only interested in what people think, not playing GM. Jeffy ignored big play tight end and reached for a guard. I certainly hope those picks were his BPAs because if he was drafting for need, other than DB, he folded like a cheap lawn chair.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:47 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

PADOLFAN wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

Only interested in what people think, not playing GM. Jeffy ignored big play tight end and reached for a guard. I certainly hope those picks were his BPAs because if he was drafting for need, other than DB, he folded like a cheap lawn chair.

You mean you are only interested in making empty statements and pretending to know more about football than an NFL GM.

Not saying you cant disagree with decisions, but lets see who you would have picked, and see how they turn out. Offer an alternative or your ridicule means nothing.

Last edited by rodneyfaile on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:58 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

PADOLFAN wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

And you would have drafted who?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:00 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

I started putting so many plus signs in after an A that I ran out of character space!

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:52 am

"I don't know who I would have drafted, cause like, I don't know any of the picks...but like, I can tell we drafted sucky players..."

Yeah, how dare Ireland draft a guard in the 3rd round that was projected to be a 3rd round pick, when depth along the offensive line was our biggest need....Pfft, what an idiot Jeffy is.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:02 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

FINesse wrote:
I started putting so many plus signs in after an A that I ran out of character space!

:)

There were running over into my computer, Mitch! LOL.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'd give the draft a solid B. I like the draft. I see his plan in adding 1 year free agents and drafting their replacements once they are gone. I see many quarterbacks sweating an aggressive pass rush this year which should help our defense stop the 3rd and long plays.

Of course, you never know how good this draft is until 3 years down the road. Most draft grades are wrong.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:37 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Look, the truth is none of us (nor Ireland) KNOW how these players are going to pan out. What we do know is that going into the draft, the teams needs were as follows...

OT / OL depth
CB
Pass rusher
TE
RB depth
WR

You can argue the order that they should be in, but most people would agree with this list.

So we didn't get a starting LT, but we got OL depth.
CB? Check.
Pass rusher? Check plus.
TE? Check... people say he's not a seam threat. He wasn't used that way in college, but he has shown good hands. Let's see what he can do. At the least he gives us a good inline blocker with soft hands.
RB depth? check. I like the Gilislee pick.
WR? Nope. Apparently they didn't see it as a position of need.

The other thing to remember is that though the draft is done, Ireland is not. He's already stated he will be getting back to the veteran FA market right away. I will be surprised if we don't sign either Winston, or one of the other OTs that are out there or will be soon.

In my opinion, he did a very good job of filling needs, while thinking ahead on the cap situation as well (Sturgis, Bess trade, 3 CBs drafted allows room to cut one of the pricey vets on the roster...)

Yeah, let's fire him now. :hithead: :hithead:

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:38 am

Exactly. Talk to me in 3 years and lets see who we can resign after their rookie contract expires. I remember most giving Seattle an F last year because Russel Wilson was to short.
We certainly got more upside and potential than anyone else .... right?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:29 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:

Is that a good thing considering their record?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:34 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
We certainly got more upside and potential than anyone else .... right?

LOL, most abused phrase in sports history.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:36 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Jeff Ireland took over the draft totally for Miami in 2010 and these are the list of kids that are starters or contributors.

Jared Odrick
Reshasd Jones
John Jerry
Koa Misi
Nolan Carroll

Mike Pouncey
Jimmy Wilson
Daniel Thomas
Charles Clay

Ryan Tannehill
Jonathan Martin
Olivier Vernon
Lamar Miller
Kheeston Randle
Rishard Matthews

You can certainly make a case that John Jerry has underachieved and that both Nolan Carroll and Daniel Thomas may both lose their spots on the roster for 2013. But the rest of that group is solid and Pouncey has turned into a Pro Bowl caliber safety and Reshad Jones is close to that. Ryan Tannehill certainly looks like the young QB Miami has been wanting, and while Jonathan Martin had his struggles, he has the potential to be that guy at OLT.

In regards to this draft just completed, Irealnd pretty much drafted all of this group where they were slated to be picked or better, probably with the exception of Caleb Sturgis, the PK

1)Dion Jordan was a projected top 6 player and considered the most talented pass rusher in this draft.

2)Jamar Taylor had a 1st-2nd round grade on him and most thought he would go late 1st round.

3)Dallas Thomas is a 3year starter in the SEC at Tennessee and brings versatility, as he started for 2 years at OLT then moved down to OLG his senior season. Pro FootballWeekly had him as a 2nd-3rd round slot, CBSSports had him as a 3rd round grade and Scott Wright of NFL Draft Countdown had him as a 2nd-3rd round pick.

3)Will Davis, the CB from Utah State lead the nation in pass breakups with 17 and had 5 interceptions his senior year. ProFootballWeekly had a 2nd-3rd round grade, CBSSports had a 5th round grade, Scott Wright of NFL Draftcountdown had a 2nd-3rd round grade on him.

4)Jelani Jenkins, the OLB from Florida had a 4th-5th round grade from ProFootballWeekly.com, 5th round grade from CBSSports.com and a Scott Wright had a mid round grade on him.

4) Dion Sims fits the mold of versatile, Anthony Fasano type TE, a kid that is a very good inline blocker and is competent in the pass game also. Miami has a TE that can threaten the seem and be a big play guy in FA aquisition Dustin Keller, and Charles Clay has shown glimpses of what he can be. ProFootballWeekly had a 3rd-4th round grade on him, CBSSports had a 5th round grade on him and Scott Wright had a mid round grade on him.

5) Mike Gillislee, the RB from Florida is a very nice pick and has a lot of tread left on his tire, as 2012 was his 1st year being the featured back for a Florida team that did not have much of a passing game. He had 1,152 yards and 10 touchdowns, and is a perfect fit for a zone blocking scheme. ProFootballWeekly had a 4th-5th round grade on him, CBSSports had a 4th-5th round grade on him and Scott Wright had a mid round grade on him.

5) Caleb Sturgis was a reach, as the Dolphins probably could have got him later, but they did not have a 6th round pick and had traded 2 of their 7th round picks. That said, Caleb has a great leg and was 17-22 on kicks 40 yards or longer. Playing for Florida in the SEC, the kid has had to make many clutch kicks in pressure situations. He has a very legitimate chance to be incumbent Dan Carpenter out

7) Don Jones is a very good athlete and I have read will be bought in as a CB/FS. This is a 7th round pick that like Kheeston Randle from 2012, a 7th round draft pick at DT that made the team, I think Jones will make this team.

There are guys I would have liked to seen taken in this draft, but I would give this draft class a very solid B. Dion Jordan, Jamar Taylor, Will Davis, Dion Jordan, Mile Gillispie and Caleb Sturgis all have chances to come in and be significant contributors. Dallas Thomas will certainly add depth and has the ability to challenge for playing time as well.

Jelani Jenkins and Don Jones at the worst will be special teams contributors.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:42 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

My grade: C+

The Dion Jordan selection was masterful given how much the Rams gave up to go and get Austin. Got me pumped for what appeared to be aggressiveness in pursuit of difference makers and not getting hosed for it. Then it just all became more of the same, heavy on D ... light in the pants on O. The Davis pick was unnecessary at that spot given his developmental nature an several comparables DB's still going to be sitting there. We moved three picks for the guy. Why not use the kind of draft ammunition we had to jump up and grab a guy like Stedman Bailey? Actually wait, he could've been had at #82. Just very erratic draft management at that point.

I'm jealous of the Rams right now seeing that not only did they get a guy we coveted in Austin, but his talented running mate as well. If not Bailey, then what about a TE with high upside? Ireland made some comments yesterday that they're going to be running a lot of two TE sets. But we're lacking in that department (Clay coming off a knee tear, Egnew is Egnew, Dion Sims is an inline blocker at this point).

If the top end of this draft for us were Jordan, Taylor, Bailey I might even be encouraged to give this draft a B+ to A- ..... The rest of our picks were just guys we're trying to fill role player roster spots with. I'm not going to harp on them too much.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:56 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
10acjed wrote:

Is that a good thing considering their record?

Quite true. I also cringed every time the NFL network flashed the stat about how many Pro Bowl players on the team's roster were drafted. For the Dolphins, the stat was 1....even the Titans had 5.

I like the move to get Dion Jordan. It will be worth it if he is a day #1 starter. The 2nd round CB makes sense as well. I am not too thrilled with how the 3rd and 4th rounds were done. The trade move in the 3rd was just silly gambling, because they lost picks having to trade back in for a guy they could have had if they just stayed pat. Not too impressed with the picks in the 3rd and 4th, but time will tell. I like the 5th round picks. I actually feel both those players will make the team. The kicker picked by the Bills (iirc) in the 7th actually graded out higher than Sturgis, but I think the team coveted his accuracy on the long range kicks....so I like that pick.

Right now....the draft looks like a B to me. I see Jordan, Gillislee and Sturgis as starters. If either CB pans out, then you would have to say the draft is an A. Without the 3rd round trade shenanigans and practically giving a team picks for Bess, I would see the draft as an A already.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:07 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
Jeff Ireland took over the draft totally for Miami in 2010 and these are the list of kids that are starters or contributors.

Jared Odrick
Reshasd Jones
John Jerry
Koa Misi
Nolan Carroll
Odrick is a good DLman and that is about it. Misi is just there & the trade down cost Miami Bryant. Miami is looking to replace Jerry & he cost Miami Graham. Miami is generally to scare of talented players who lack maturity. Jones looks to be the best of this draft.

To think Miami could have walked out of this draft with Bryant & Graham but instead got Odrick/Misi & Jerry.

phinsfansc wrote:
Mike Pouncey
Jimmy Wilson
Daniel Thomas
Charles Clay
Pouncey is it and just to help reduce Kev post count on me & not destroy another thread with his BS. I was not thrilled with the pick. Thought Clay could be the man that team would have a hard time with dealing it coming out of the FB position in the backfield. He still is a tease and might not be on the team this year. Thomas has been what I expected him to be. Nothing. Ireland generally screws up when he trades up. He passed on Murray for Thomas.

phinsfansc wrote:
Ryan Tannehill
Jonathan Martin
Olivier Vernon
Lamar Miller
Kheeston Randle
Rishard Matthews

You can certainly make a case that John Jerry has underachieved and that both Nolan Carroll and Daniel Thomas may both lose their spots on the roster for 2013. But the rest of that group is solid and Pouncey has turned into a Pro Bowl caliber safety and Reshad Jones is close to that. Ryan Tannehill certainly looks like the young QB Miami has been wanting, and while Jonathan Martin had his struggles, he has the potential to be that guy at OLT.
This could be his best draft. If Tanny hits then the draft was good. If Martin/Miller step up & be quality players then the draft is great. The others will only make it better.

phinsfansc wrote:
In regards to this draft just completed, Irealnd pretty much drafted all of this group where they were slated to be picked or better, probably with the exception of Caleb Sturgis, the PK

1)Dion Jordan was a projected top 6 player and considered the most talented pass rusher in this draft.
Ireland's balls finally drop. While I have my concerns about Jordan 's rookie year with his shoulder injury & not being able to do much prior to camp. I think he can be a difference maker on D.

phinsfansc wrote:
2)Jamar Taylor had a 1st-2nd round grade on him and most thought he would go late 1st round.
Other than Boise St. Looks to be a solid pick.

phinsfansc wrote:
3)Dallas Thomas is a 3year starter in the SEC at Tennessee and brings versatility, as he started for 2 years at OLT then moved down to OLG his senior season. Pro FootballWeekly had him as a 2nd-3rd round slot, CBSSports had him as a 3rd round grade and Scott Wright of NFL Draft Countdown had him as a 2nd-3rd round pick.
Ireland is getting bashed on this pick. I view this pick as a 2014 replacement of Richie.

phinsfansc wrote:
3)Will Davis, the CB from Utah State lead the nation in pass breakups with 17 and had 5 interceptions his senior year. ProFootballWeekly had a 2nd-3rd round grade, CBSSports had a 5th round grade, Scott Wright of NFL Draftcountdown had a 2nd-3rd round grade on him.
Can't comment on this. Do not know him or anything about him.

phinsfansc wrote:
4)Jelani Jenkins, the OLB from Florida had a 4th-5th round grade from ProFootballWeekly.com, 5th round grade from CBSSports.com and a Scott Wright had a mid round grade on him.
Guess this was a depth pick. Maybe a future in him.

phinsfansc wrote:
4) Dion Sims fits the mold of versatile, Anthony Fasano type TE, a kid that is a very good inline blocker and is competent in the pass game also. Miami has a TE that can threaten the seem and be a big play guy in FA aquisition Dustin Keller, and Charles Clay has shown glimpses of what he can be. ProFootballWeekly had a 3rd-4th round grade on him, CBSSports had a 5th round grade on him and Scott Wright had a mid round grade on him.
Crossing my fingers on this pick, but would like to have a game changer at the TE position instead of the next Fasano.

phinsfansc wrote:
5) Mike Gillislee, the RB from Florida is a very nice pick and has a lot of tread left on his tire, as 2012 was his 1st year being the featured back for a Florida team that did not have much of a passing game. He had 1,152 yards and 10 touchdowns, and is a perfect fit for a zone blocking scheme. ProFootballWeekly had a 4th-5th round grade on him, CBSSports had a 4th-5th round grade on him and Scott Wright had a mid round grade on him.
Hopefully will be the No. 2 man that can give Miller a breather.

phinsfansc wrote:
5) Caleb Sturgis was a reach, as the Dolphins probably could have got him later, but they did not have a 6th round pick and had traded 2 of their 7th round picks. That said, Caleb has a great leg and was 17-22 on kicks 40 yards or longer. Playing for Florida in the SEC, the kid has had to make many clutch kicks in pressure situations. He has a very legitimate chance to be incumbent Dan Carpenter out
Some where Tony is fist pumping. I hope he is Miami's kicker next year. Hate to waste a pick on a kicker and he not be the guy.

phinsfansc wrote:
7) Don Jones is a very good athlete and I have read will be bought in as a CB/FS. This is a 7th round pick that like Kheeston Randle from 2012, a 7th round draft pick at DT that made the team, I think Jones will make this team.
More depth. Would have rather seen DaRick Rodgers here & gamble on his 2nd Rd. talent.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:09 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Miami Dolphins

Kiper Jr.’s grade: B-

Kiper Jr.’s comment: “They could get three good players from those first three picks, but they did give up value for Jordan, so the onus is on them to make that pick become a success.”

Thoughts: The biggest thing I learned from the Dolphins this weekend is the team wanted playmakers. I thought Miami fleeced Oakland by just giving up a second-round pick to move up to No. 3. First-round defensive end Dion Jordan has the potential to eventually become a Pro Bowl player. He is a difference-maker who can be a disruptive force and cause turnovers. Second-round cornerback Jamar Taylor of Boise State is polished and could be a starter or nickel cornerback in Week 1. I also liked the late run of Florida players in linebacker Jelani Jenkins, running back Mike Gillislee and kicker Caleb Sturgis. All three have the potential to make the 53-man roster.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... aft-grades

Quote:
Winners

3. Miami Dolphins: Jeff Ireland won the offseason by outspending everyone in free agency. A case could be made that he tried to outdraft the other 32 teams. Instead of sitting passively at the No. 12 pick, he moved into the top three to get one of the best pass-rushers in the draft, Dion Jordan of Oregon. Ireland drafted at the key positions -- pass-rusher, cornerback and tackle. Jamar Taylor and Will Davis can play behind veterans as rookies and can be groomed to be potential starters at cornerback. Tackle remains a big question mark after Jake Long's departure, but at least the Dolphins drafted one -- Dallas Thomas -- in the third round. The Dolphins finished with nine draft choices, including multiple picks in rounds three, four and five. They will have a rookie pool estimated to be around $9.15 million. It's been a great offseason for the Dolphins. Now Joe Philbin has to put everything together to try to win.

Losers

1. New York Jets ...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/ ... ers-losers

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:48 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

PADOLFAN wrote:
Only interested in what people think

Really? You only seem interested in what you think... without actually analyzing to get to what you think.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kiper Jr.’s wrote:

Thoughts: The biggest thing I learned from the Dolphins this weekend is the team wanted playmakers..
Besides Jordan who are the playmaker(s) Plural.

Maybe its my personal view of the term playmakers, but I just do not view many DBs as playmakers, unless they are proven interception machines in college.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:02 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Dphins, I would have loved to seen the Dolphins take a chance on Da'Rick as well. And while I like Mike Gillislee, I liked the big play capabilities of Andre Ellington a little more. I know he timed at 4.66 at the combine, but I have seen Andre play a good bit and he plays faster than 4.66.

Travis Kelce was a kid I liked alot and he is very similar to Dion Sims, but he is faster and a little more of a big play type of TE. But the Dolphins wanted to address the CB position.

Still, I think this was a very solid draft for the Dolphins.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:05 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
My grade: C+

The Dion Jordan selection was masterful given how much the Rams gave up to go and get Austin. Got me pumped for what appeared to be aggressiveness in pursuit of difference makers and not getting hosed for it. Then it just all became more of the same, heavy on D ... light in the pants on O. The Davis pick was unnecessary at that spot given his developmental nature an several comparables DB's still going to be sitting there. We moved three picks for the guy. Why not use the kind of draft ammunition we had to jump up and grab a guy like Stedman Bailey? Actually wait, he could've been had at #82. Just very erratic draft management at that point.

I'm jealous of the Rams right now seeing that not only did they get a guy we coveted in Austin, but his talented running mate as well. If not Bailey, then what about a TE with high upside? Ireland made some comments yesterday that they're going to be running a lot of two TE sets. But we're lacking in that department (Clay coming off a knee tear, Egnew is Egnew, Dion Sims is an inline blocker at this point).

If the top end of this draft for us were Jordan, Taylor, Bailey I might even be encouraged to give this draft a B+ to A- ..... The rest of our picks were just guys we're trying to fill role player roster spots with. I'm not going to harp on them too much.

I actually agree with a lot of what you said here, but I don't think you can give a lower grade based on preference for specific players.

That said, I do agree that they should have attacked pass catcher much more than they did. I don't like the depth enough at the WR or TE position, and I thought the talent that was available in the 3rd round dictated a WR like Bailey to be taken.

That said, I always hate what they do in the 2nd day of the draft; this year, though, overall I like it. Don't love it...but I like it.

I'm not into grading, because only God knows how this will pan out. But I think they did what they wanted; went out and got a dynamic edge player for unbelievable value; got great value at the CB position in the 2nd round and doubled down in the first 3 rounds; they added depth along the OL which was a must; replaced Carpenter with the best kicker in the draft, and maybe the best kicker to come out in a few years. Added depth to the LB core and RB positions, and filled the immediate pure need at TE.

They did what they wanted to do and got good value for it, (outside the Will Davis pick, IMO). I do wish they attacked WR and TE differently, but you can only do so much.

The number one thing I wanted after the Pouncey pick was a 1st round QB the following year. Check...The number one thing I've wanted since we took Tannehill was a pass rusher in the first round. Check...How about next year we get a darn TE?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:12 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

rodneyfaile wrote:

Why? Does he get paid to draft?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:33 pm

10acjed wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

lol right...

Wonder if people realize we haven't made the playoffs in that same time period.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:35 pm

rodneyfaile wrote:
PADOLFAN wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

You mean you are only interested in making empty statements and pretending to know more about football than an NFL GM.

Not saying you cant disagree with decisions, but lets see who you would have picked, and see how they turn out. Offer an alternative or your ridicule means nothing.

Yes...if you're not on here to blow sunshine up everyones rear end then post somewhere else. :)

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:
PADOLFAN wrote:

Yes...if you're not on here to blow sunshine up everyones rear end then post somewhere else. :)

No, that's not what I said.

Just pointing out that a dissenting opinion carries more weight when you include information along with it.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

we got two 1st-round-talent players in Jordan and Taylor. Both should be excellent starters.
A very versatile lineman in Thomas.
Will Davis is quality depth in the secondary.
Jenkins can be a very good starting linebacker.
Gillislee will be an excellent complimentary back.
I'm not a big Dion Sims guy but who knows.
Love the Caleb Sturgis pick a ton
and Don Jones looks like a nice project too.

A grade

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:16 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Re: Ireland Draft Grade
1) Dion Jordan, awesome pick, and steal of a deal to move up to #3.
2)3 useful DB's, 2 with proven ball skills, the other raw but blazing fast picked in the 7th round Coyle is supposed to be a great developer of DBs so watch out on these!.
3) kicker- good accuracy, chance to save money on getting rid of Carpenter
4)Jenkins, Gillislee, Sims, Thomas These are wait and see type picks, hopefully they at least are useful quality depth.
Concerns:
LT/RT: We'll see what gets done post draft, and if Martin is up to doing a quality job on the left side if thats the way we go there.
RB: Unproven options there, Do we get enough performance there to keep Tanny from having to carry the team all the time, leading to forced throws?
WR: Do we have enough quality there? It is better than last years corps, but is it enough to make the critical plays to push us past NE and into the playoffs?
Draft Grade: B+

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

First: Welcome to another Iowa Dolphins fan! I sometimes think I'm the only one up here

Second: If you give this draft anything above a B+, you're looking at it through rose-colored glasses. Yes, we did great in getting the premiere pass rusher in the draft, which will help out not only our pressure on the QB but also our CB situation. We also addressed the CB situation with 2 corners and a safety late who will probably be moved to corner. But the fact of the matter remains that we didn't do much to address our offensive line (yes, we drafted a guard for depth), and we didn't do much to address the desire for playmakers. While I think that we have a pretty good situation at WR, I would have like to see us take a chance on Swope or Rodgers. The draft was a solid B, but nothing more than that.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:

The same applies to the converse of that statement.... if you are only here to rain on everyone's parade, then post somewhere else.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

PADOLFAN wrote:
C+
Every single pick is a project. Boom or bust. This guy couldn't draft a starter if his life depended upon it. I look forward to saying bye bye Jeffy next year. He proved again he 's especially poor in the 2nd and 3rd money rounds never mind the reaches in 4 and 5.

What on earth are you talking about? Just about every single player we drafted this year will be playing this year. While we only landed one big sexy pick, the rest of the draft was very successful. We landed a lot of good quality prospects that at the bare minimum will give us improved depth.

-Dion Jordan will be a day one starter at either defensive end or strongside linebacker. Not only that, but he finally brings elite pass rush skills opposite Wake, something that could propel our defense into the elite category.
-Jamar Taylor will be competing day one for a starting cornerback position opposite Grimes. If I had to guess, this kid will be starting week one.
-Dallas Thomas is a very solid offensive lineman who Philbin plans to let compete on the left side, whether it be offensive tackle or offensive guard. Either way, I think this kid winds up starting on the offensive line at some point this season.
-Will Davis is likely a replacement for someone like R.J. Stanford or Nolan Carrol. Either way, he provides us with solid speical teams value in the short term, and potentially starter potential down the road.
-Jelani Jenkins is a player who will likely contribute early on as a special teamer, and gives the Dolphins excellent depth behind Philip Wheeler at the weakside linebacker spot. Not only that, but this is a guy who can cover so good he was asked to play safety at Florida. He might find his way onto the field this season in sub-packages.
-Dion Sims is a solid all around linebacker. While he's a bit heavy, he's an excellent blocker and has good hands. He'll replace Fasano as the primary inline blocker at the tightend position. His skillset looks to complement Keller's very well. He should see the field quite a bit in two tightend sets and in the redzone.
-Mike Gillislee is going to be our 3rd down back this season. He'll be splitting reps with Lamar Miller who should step in and be the feature back this season. With good vision, nice pass protection skills, and the ability to catch it out of the backfield, I don't think he'll have any trouble this year finding playing time.
-Caleb Sturgis is likely Dan Carpenter's replacement. Hopefully he's up to the taks because those are big shoes to fill. It's not easy to replace a former Pro Bowler.
-Don Jones is an obvious replacement for Jonathon Amaya. He'll have to compete with a few undrafted free agents for the #2 strong safety position. I think he'll win.

I'd give the draft a solid B. The only reason I wouldn't give it a B+ is because we failed to land multiple offensive linemen. But that may not be necessary depending on how the rookie Thomas looks, as well as veterans like Louis, Martin, Incognito, Jerry, etc. The reason I didn't give it an A was because I would have liked to see us add a FS to compete with Clemons. But who knows, maybe the right guy will get cut and wind up a free agent?

If Jordan, Taylor, Thomas, Sims, Gillislee, and Sturgis all wind up starting or playing a significant amount (other than speical teams), then I think this was a successful draft.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]