View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Dolphins draft board Rd 1 
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post Dolphins draft board Rd 1
... what it should be as I see it (in order in tier) --

Tier 1 All Pros Year 1: Joeckel, Fisher

Tier 2 Elite/likely Elite: Johnson, Cooper, Jordan, Milliener, Warmack, Ansah, Star, Eifert, Richardson, Floyd

[i.e., 12 elites]

Tier 3: Austin, Mingo, Jones, Sly Williams, Fluker (projecting he's dropped lbs and can transition to Phins zone block scheme)

Drop off here, relevant only for deeper trade down:

Tier 4: D.J. Hayden. Trufant, Rhodes, Vaccaro, Eric Reid

What does this mean? Phins can stay cool, stay put, and get a stud (esp. because Austin and a QB or 2 will prob go top 12). Trade down is also supportable because there are 22 players in round 1 who should help right away and are great long term prospects. Given that a couple of quaterbacks, Patterson, and some quirky picks will surely get interjected in here before this board is exhausted, and dolphins could even safely trade down to as far as 25 to accumulate more picks in a nice looking 2nd and 3rd round.

Phins Up! --Pete S in VA

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:26 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post Re: Dolphins draft board Rd 1
if you cant trade down at 12 i would take eifert or patterson

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:10 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

You're right, it is very unlikely that some sort of quarterback drama won't unfold in the top ten. I could easily see a scenario where one or even two teams get desperate and pull the trigger on Geno Smith and/or E.J. Manuel. It's the most important position on the field and I can't remember a draft where at least one didn't come off the board in the top ten.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:14 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I put two of them in my top 8 mock. I think Chip Kelly is going to love Geno Smith, and I think Buffalo is going to panic on Nassib and take him instead of trading back and getting him there.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:29 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

mia305 wrote:

We could likely trade back and get one of those two players in the early to mid 20s. While Eifert is the hot pick right now, he's honestly not a top half of the draft talent. His true value is somewhere in the 20s. Also, don't forget about Zach Ertz. While Eifert is seen as the top tightend in this draft, Ertz has just as much if not more upside. He had way better receiving numbers than Eifert this season. While Eifert's blocking may be better developed, Ertz is identical in height and weight to Eifert, and actually put up more reps on the bench at the combine. So strength isn't his issue. And don't sleep on Jordan Reed either. While we already have Charles Clay. Reed is a definite upgrade and an absolute weapon in the passing game who had very comparable numbers to Eifert.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:30 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

so much depends on this KC trade... IMO

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:51 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

wkloiber13 wrote:
mia305 wrote:

We could likely trade back and get one of those two players in the early to mid 20s. While Eifert is the hot pick right now, he's honestly not a top half of the draft talent. His true value is somewhere in the 20s. Also, don't forget about Zach Ertz. While Eifert is seen as the top tightend in this draft, Ertz has just as much if not more upside. He had way better receiving numbers than Eifert this season. While Eifert's blocking may be better developed, Ertz is identical in height and weight to Eifert, and actually put up more reps on the bench at the combine. So strength isn't his issue. And don't sleep on Jordan Reed either. While we already have Charles Clay. Reed is a definite upgrade and an absolute weapon in the passing game who had very comparable numbers to Eifert.

Eifert catches everything, though. He had zero drops this year and his catch radius is huge. Ertz had 4 drops this year. Tha tdoesnt sound like a lot, but we lost several close games this year. Even one drop can make a difference.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:33 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

miamifanmark wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
mia305 wrote:

Eifert catches everything, though. He had zero drops this year and his catch radius is huge. Ertz had 4 drops this year. Tha tdoesnt sound like a lot, but we lost several close games this year. Even one drop can make a difference.

Ertz had twenty more catches, over two hundred more yards, and two more touchdowns than Eifert. When comparing production, there is no comparison. Ertz is the bigger weapon. Eifert is talented, but he's more of a well-rounded tightend, not an elite pass catcher. Don't get too caught up in what you saw at the combine with Eifert's 4.68 40 yard dash:
Quote:
After running the 40-yard dash in the 4.65 to 4.76 range back in Indianapolis at the NFL Combine, Ertz improved that to as good as 4.57 on Thursday in front of scouts from all 32 teams. Ertz also put up a vertical leap of 30½ inches at the combine, but improved to 35½ inches at the Stanford Pro Day.

Ertz is a much better athlete than people think, maybe even better than Eifert. Bottom line, don't underestimate this kid. He is the best receiving threat at tightend in this draft.

Also, don't count out my mid-round draft crush in Toilolo.
Quote:
Fellow tight end Levine Toilolo, one of the biggest tight ends in the draft at 6'8, ran a 40-yard dash in the low 4.7-second range with a vertical of 33½ inches and a broad jump of 9'9. Running back Stepfan Taylor ran the 40 in the 4.64 to 4.68 range, a little faster than the 4.76 he put up in Indianapolis.

Think about that for a second. 6'8" with 4.7 speed and 33 1/2 inch vert. Can you say redzone? Can you say inline blocker? He's exactly what we're looking for to complement Keller.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:52 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Ertz is not as good a blocker as Eifert. Eifert is the total package. There is good reason he is touted as the number one TE in the draft.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:13 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

wkloiber13 wrote:
Ertz had twenty more catches, over two hundred more yards, and two more touchdowns than Eifert. When comparing production, there is no comparison. Ertz is the bigger weapon. Eifert is talented, but he's more of a well-rounded tightend, not an elite pass catcher. Don't get too caught up in what you saw at the combine with Eifert's 4.68 40 yard dash

Forget all that, he drops too many passes.

Quote:
6'8" with 4.7 speed and 33 1/2 inch vert. Can you say redzone? Can you say inline blocker? He's exactly what we're looking for to complement Keller.

He measured in at 6'5 at the combine.

Sorry, Eifert is the better player and the most consistent pass catcher.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:18 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Ertz had twenty more catches, over two hundred more yards, and two more touchdowns than Eifert. When comparing production, there is no comparison. Ertz is the bigger weapon. Eifert is talented, but he's more of a well-rounded tightend, not an elite pass catcher. Don't get too caught up in what you saw at the combine with Eifert's 4.68 40 yard dash

Forget all that, he drops too many passes.

Quote:
6'8" with 4.7 speed and 33 1/2 inch vert. Can you say redzone? Can you say inline blocker? He's exactly what we're looking for to complement Keller.

He measured in at 6'5 at the combine.

Sorry, Eifert is the better player and the most consistent pass catcher.

And he's an awful inline blocker...

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:33 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
And he's an awful inline blocker...

I wouldn't say he is awful, but I would say he can look awful sometimes. He's very inconsistent, doesn't maintain his balance well consistently etc.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]