View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Davone Bess as good as gone 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Miami Dolphins actively looking to trade Davone Bess
Miami Dolphins actively looking to trade Davone Bess
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... avone-bess
Quote:
Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times reported Wednesday that the Cleveland Browns are "seriously considering" a trade for the Dolphins' leading wide receiver.

Citing a league source, Jensen added that several other teams are also in the mix. The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero reported Wednesday citing a source that among the teams the Dolphins called to see if they're interested in Bess are the Arizona Cardinals, St. Louis Rams, San Francisco 49ers, Minnesota Vikings and New York Jets.

The Dolphins are hoping to get mid-round draft pick in return.

It appears we've been considering this for quite a while. Now it looks like Ireland is going to pull the trigger to add a pick or picks. Perhaps in an effort to move up?
If we do trade him, I'm hoping we get a 3rd or 4th. Even if it means we get a future 3rd or 4th in the 2014 draft. I'd hate to see him go for less than that. He's a very good receiver. Hopefully some draft needy teams that don't want to spend a high pick on Austin will compete for Bess. That could lead to Ireland getting what he wants for Bess.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:31 pm
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Post Davone Bess as good as gone
Quote:
Sources tell Draft Insider Tony Pauline there's a "99.9 percent" chance Davone Bess is traded to the Browns for "mid-round picks."
If Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland could get "picks" for Bess, it'd be a huge victory. The 27-year-old doesn't have a role in Miami after the Brandon Gibson addition. In Cleveland, Bess would likely compete with David Nelson for slot duties. He has one year left on his contract. Per the Miami Herald, the Fins also called the Jets, 49ers, Cardinals, Vikings, and Rams to gauge their interest in Bess.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:08 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Davone Bess as good as gone
If Ireland can get multiple picks from Cleveland, I'll consider it the steal of the draft.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:11 am
Profile WWW

cspooner13 wrote:
If Ireland can get multiple picks from Cleveland, I'll consider it the steal of the draft.

ya seriously. I'd be mad if my team gave up 2 picks for him.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:13 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

How much is a WR that can't score TDs worth?
I'd be impressed.
This is what should have been done with Jake Long last year

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:16 am

our front office has been pretty shrewd and masterful the past 18 months.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

degs wrote:
Yeap. However, they are not that smart. They let him walk, then try to trade for another LT for more money, who IMO is not that difference better.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:44 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
degs wrote:
Yeap. However, they are not that smart. They let him walk, then try to trade for another LT for more money, who IMO is not that difference better.

Well, I think they were hoping that he would bounce back physically. If he did you could be assured that he'd be a Dolphin today. Looking back at it ... you're both right. I do think Long continues to slide performance-wise though.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:45 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Trading Bess even opens up wide receiver talk. I have to say that Ireland has done a great houdini job of concealing who he wants to draft. He has several playmakers to choose from that will help this team.

Mando wrote:
I mean aside from the fact one cannot believe anything an NFL team, it's coach or GM say ...

Tavon Austin.

If the Dolphins deal Bess, they could be planning the acquisition of the playmaking West Virginia slot receiver either with the No. 12 pick in the draft or with a draft trade up.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:16 am
Profile WWW

Would love that pick. I know Tony would do keg stands if that happened.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:24 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I like Bess. But he is only a solid but not sensational #3 WR. He is going to cost over $3,000,000 against the cap this year. I also wonder if Bess could be part of a trade up to Cleveland's #6 pick tonight for Lane Johnson or Eric Fisher.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:34 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
degs wrote:

Difference better...Smart? Hmmmm

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:47 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Miami Dolphins actively looking to trade Davone Bess
I think Bess will be traded by Saturday at the latest. He is the odd man out now and will cost over $3,000,000 toward Miami's cap this year.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:24 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dave Hydes thoughts on Bess ...

Dave Hyde wrote:
Davone Bess being on the trading block tells you how much this coaching staff values receivers being able to play every receiving position. Bess is a slot receiver. So much of the Dolphins system consists of moving receivers around to create mismatches.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 4179.story

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:44 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Austin scares me though. I have been reserching him and he looks nothing more that a kick returner that is too small to play in the NFL(sorry Tony). I know, I know, flame me all you want, just my opinion. If we draft him though, I'll be happy, he's super fast and you never know. I just don't want to spend a 1st rd pick on another Ginn or Dante Hall.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:07 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:
Austin scares me though. I have been reserching him and he looks nothing more that a kick returner that is too small to play in the NFL(sorry Tony). I know, I know, flame me all you want, just my opinion. If we draft him though, I'll be happy, he's super fast and you never know. I just don't want to spend a 1st rd pick on another Ginn or Dante Hall.

He's one pound lighter than Desean Jackson.

Please don't compare to Ginn. Look at Ginn's production in college versus Tavon. No comparison.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:12 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Our staff wants versatile WRs. Although Austin is super-gifted, I'm not convinced he is what they are looking for in a WR. On the other hand, some times talent trumps "scheme-fit", so we'll see.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:14 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Isn't Tavon Austin the ultimate versatile WR?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:16 am

IamPZ wrote:

He can be used in the return game, run the ball and catch. He can be used in the slot, but also possesses the speed to blow the top off a defense.

I know he doesn't have the height and catch radius you'd like to see in an outside receiver, but he has the speed to separate.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:22 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Austin could end up being the best playmaker in this draft.

I think Bess gets dealt to Cleveland regardless, but if either Joeckel or Johnson slip to the 6th pick I can definitely see Miami packaging 12, Bess and some mid rounders (probably 3rd and 5th) to move up and grab them. Yes, I realize I posted the same thing last night in another thread but I can't be the only one with this theory.

Otherwise I bet Miami gets a 5th for Bess at some point on Saturday.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:30 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
Otherwise I bet Miami gets a 5th for Bess at some point on Saturday.

If they're looking to trade up with those picks from the trade, it would obviously have to happen today.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:45 am

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

He can be used in the return game, run the ball and catch. He can be used in the slot, but also possesses the speed to blow the top off a defense.

I know he doesn't have the height and catch radius you'd like to see in an outside receiver, but he has the speed to separate.

Neither did Steve Smith coming into the league... I know he's 2 inches taller... but speed kills baby.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:07 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I have been thinking they are dumping Bess and are going to grab Swope, he fits the system, has familiarity and is much faster (low 4.3)

Can get him with the 82nd and use earlier picks to get other positions.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:09 am

10acjed wrote:
I have been thinking they are dumping Bess and are going to grab Swope, he fits the system, has familiarity and is much faster (low 4.3)

Can get him with the 82nd and use earlier picks to get other positions.

Swope would be a nice pick up as well, but not the ability to change direction that Tavon has.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:11 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Swope would be a nice pick up as well, but not the ability to change direction that Tavon has.

If you have seen a lot of tape on Swope, I know he is darn fast, but does he play as fast as his 40 time indicates on the field?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:

He's versatile in the sense that he can also be used as a KR or in the backfield, but not between WR positions (either side on the perimeter or in the slot.) That is what Philbin is looking for, and why Bess doesn't really fit; because he's not nearly as effective line up on the outside. Austin's route-running issues, size and relative inexperience playing outside make him a less than perfect fit in our system IMO. That doesn't mean he's not a special player or even that we won't take him anyway, but I am becoming more convinced he won't be there at 12 anyway.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:10 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

I'm concerned that the guy is going to turn into an Austin Collie. He's already suffered too many big concussions in the college game. Imagine the hits he's going to take in the NFL.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:19 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think the reason the Dolphins are moving Bess is because they no longer need a "slot" guy and want to add picks in case they feel the need to move up. I think they want to add playmakers that can play multiple roles. With Wallace and Gibson both being able to play in the slot, there is no need for Miami to go after a player who only plays in the slot. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Miami moving back, adding picks, and then targeting someone like Coradelle Patterson.

Patterson is a big physical YAC guy. Exactly the type of receiver our offense lacks right now. We have a speedster who can play outside and in the slot in Wallace. We have an outside possession guy in Hartline. We have a 3rd option possession guy who can play outside and in the slot. If you add Patterson, you add a big speedster on the outside who can stretch the field, go over the middle, and win jump balls in the redzone. This team lacked speed and a redzone weapon last year. Wallace gives you speed. Patterson gives you speed as well, but also that necessary redzone weapon.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:04 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I dont know how fast he will play at the NFL level with serious checks at the LOS.. But he can change direction (0:19) and had some nice down the field catches with RT (1:00).
In 2012 with a new offense they kept him in more, the routes were not as deep. But if he can get off the line and get past the defender he does have speed, there are some nice plays in this video.

Only question I have is the same as Rock, he is a physical player, and because of that has taken some big shots. Would hate to see another Dan Thomas type that has the ability but cant hold up...

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:48 pm

Makchell wrote:

Mak, as much as I love Austin I do have that 10 percent doubt in my head that he will be too small and ineffective in the NFL. I think he's closer to a Harvin than a McCluster but I've read scouts compare him to both, so you never know. He does come with a good amount of risk.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:00 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I hate this move. They already have a good amount of draft picks, why trade one of the best slot receivers for a late draft pick? They finally have some complementary pieces to let Bess shine, and they're going to trade him and bank on Gibson and other unproven players? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:34 pm

So... Davone Bess is one of the players wearing the new uniform in the unveiling tonight... what if they trade him before then? ... or worse... during it? lol

Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:47 pm

fonzy wrote:
and they're going to trade him and bank on Gibson and other unproven players?

Are you calling Brandon Gibson unproven?

I'm confused by that considering Gibson had almost as many yards and 4 more TDs than Bess last season.

The reason they are trading Bess is because he is in the last year of his deal and they'd rather get something for him than lose him for nothing in free agency.

And I know everyone here loves Bess and thinks he is the best slot receiver ever, but the guy had 1 TD last year...

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
And I know everyone here loves Bess and thinks he is the best slot receiver ever, but the guy had 1 TD last year...

You don't think that number could improve with the addition of Wallace and Keller ..... not to mention a quarterback with a year under his belt?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:12 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
You don't think that number could improve with the addition of Wallace and Keller ..... not to mention a quarterback with a year under his belt?

Yes, that number would improve, but to call Bess the "best slot receiver in the NFL" is a pretty ludicrous statement

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

fonzy wrote:
I hate this move. They already have a good amount of draft picks, why trade one of the best slot receivers for a late draft pick? They finally have some complementary pieces to let Bess shine, and they're going to trade him and bank on Gibson and other unproven players? Just doesn't make sense to me.

:awe:

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:35 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

If we are using TDs as a gauge. Isn't he worth about 30 million with 12.5 guaranteed?

Okay so here's a thought...how about let Gibson WIN the job. I know that's a radical approach but geez...I'm seeing Wes Welker all over again

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

If we are using TDs as a gauge. Isn't he worth about 30 million with 12.5 guaranteed?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
degs wrote:

Or the whole thing was smoke and mirrors so we could trade up for Jordan. Maybe the idea was to make Martin the OLT all along and just draft someone to compete with Gardner in the 2nd round?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:24 pm

Quote:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Browns and Dolphins are still "haggling over mid-round picks" in the potential Davone Bess trade.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next