View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 WR Davone Bess could be traded 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post WR Davone Bess could be traded
We've been hearing this from the fans and media since we signed those wide receivers in free agency.

Quote:
Davone Bess could be traded

BARRY JACKSON:
The Dolphins are again looking closely at Texas A&M players: Their receivers coach went there to audition Ryan Swope (72 catches, 913 yards), who played for Mike Sherman at A&M. According to Pro Football Weekly, Swope should “at worst be a productive slot receiver. Intriguing combination of top-end speed and short area burst.” Davone Bess could be traded if Miami finds a slot receiver it likes in the draft.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... anton.html

ROTOWORLD:
We're not sure what the Fins think they could get for Bess, who's long been a media favorite but has never offered big-play ability. If NFL teams were seriously interested, we'd have heard trade chatter by now. There has been zero buzz. Perhaps Bess could net the Fins a seventh-round pick during the draft.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51601325/ ... ayer_news/

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:11 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: WR Davone Bess could be traded
It would be a shame to trade him before seeing why he can contribute with his new teammates. I feel like his game would complement Wallace and Hartline well.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

7th round pick!!!! Davone is one of my favorite players............the kid has hands of glue and consistently gets passed the sticks on 3rd down. He's been a fighter his whole life........too small.......went undrafted.......let's give him a chance to compete for his job before we give him away.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:34 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

a 7th round pick is an idiotic statement because he was what Wes Welker was before he left us so I dont believe that at all

Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

It's ludicrous to think that Davone would only garner a 7th round pick in a trade, but Roto is on to something in that, if anyone was interested we would have heard about it by now. IF Bess gets traded, I don't think it's going to happen until after the draft.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I cant see trading him for a 7th. That would be a waste.
If that's all we get, then keep him for another year and let him walk as a FA.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:03 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Exactly, you may as well get some production from him this year and then let him walk without getting anything for him in free agency. Getting a seventh rounder for him now is essentially letting him walk for nothing WITHOUT getting any production from him for the season

Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Bess is worth at least a 3rd or 4th round pick. Whether that pick is this year or next year, it doesn't matter.

But these rumors are well founded, in that Bess is purely a slot receiver, and is expendable now with our recent additions. That was shown by his inability to contribute at a high level on the outside last year. I think that between Wallace, Gibson, and Matthews we will have no trouble finding multiple players to handle the slot role, rather than one guy. I could easily see a scenario where someone like DeAnder Hopkins, Justin Hunter, or Terrance Williams drops in the draft and we draft them with the intent of having them take Bess' spot on the roster.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:12 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

wkloiber13 wrote:
Bess is worth at least a 3rd or 4th round pick. Whether that pick is this year or next year, it doesn't matter.

But these rumors are well founded, in that Bess is purely a slot receiver, and is expendable now with our recent additions. That was shown by his inability to contribute at a high level on the outside last year. I think that between Wallace, Gibson, and Matthews we will have no trouble finding multiple players to handle the slot role, rather than one guy. I could easily see a scenario where someone like DeAnder Hopkins, Justin Hunter, or Terrance Williams drops in the draft and we draft them with the intent of having them take Bess' spot on the roster.

Davone Bess is a free agent after the 2013 season, so if the Dolphins are going to trade him, it NOW.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:50 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Smokescreen. Dolphins want everybody to believe we are going to draft Austin...

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

7th round pick...? What an insult, that is absurd. He has been my favorite player on the team for years.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Davone Bess is a free agent after the 2013 season, so if the Dolphins are going to trade him, it NOW.

If all they can get for him is a 7th, then don't waste your time with a trade.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:07 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I dont know about the Bess trade, would hope they could do better than that, or at the least bundle him to move up in the draft...

But I would not let that stop them from drafting a fast WR who is familiar with our system and QB.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:08 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Bess is in the final year of his deal and as good of a player he is, his skills are limited. He's a blue collar player. We need playmakers at WR.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:57 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Davone Bes is a 60 plus catch lock and he almost had a thousand yards this year if injuries didn't happen so how is he a 7th rounder

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:36 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

What would Bess get us as a comp pic if we lost him to FA next year?

If we are not highly active in FA next year and lose Bess after he starts 16 games I would think we would get more than a 7th for sure.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:14 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I wonder how much better Bess' YAC stats are with a wide receiver that can open up the secondary giving him more room. I think the $2.6 million cap hit is on their minds. Personally, I think Carpenter's $3 million cap hit is where they are going to save their money if they can find a cheaper replacement.

Palm Beach Posts' Ben Volin analysis on Mar 29 of veterans who may not be on our roster this year:

Ben Volin wrote:
1. WR Davone Bess

Bess has been a great story for the Dolphins, signing with the team as an undrafted free agent in 2008 and quickly emerging as a solid, dependable slot receiver. He has averaged 64.2 catches and 689.4 yards over his five years, and 57 percent of his catches have gone for first downs over his career.

But if the Dolphins are serious about upgrading their wide receiver corps – and the additions of Wallace and Gibson show that they certainly are – then they must look to find an upgrade to Bess, who will be 28 this fall. He isn’t tall (5-10), doesn’t have elite speed (career long reception of 41 yards), dropped eight passes last year, scored just one touchdown last season and only has 12 in five years. He has been solid, but the Dolphins shouldn’t settle for solid anymore – they should want elite.

As it is, there might not be room on the roster for Bess with Wallace, Gibson and Brian Hartline in the fold, plus there are rumors of the Dolphins being interested in West Virginia speedster Tavon Austin with their first-round pick. Add in the fact that Bess is entering the final year of his contract, has only $750,000 in dead money (and can save the Dolphins $2.7 million in cap space) and that there was a little friction between him and the team at the end of last year concerning his back injury, and it’s not hard to see the team parting ways with him this year.

He still does have some value, so don’t be shocked if the Dolphins can trade him during April’s NFL Draft.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... s-in-2013/

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:11 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

ag_fin_90 wrote:
Davone Bes is a 60 plus catch lock and he almost had a thousand yards this year if injuries didn't happen so how is he a 7th rounder

what are you expecting? Very few players can garner a high draft pick. Randy Moss was traded for a 4th round pick. Bess might bring a 5th. He hasn't done anything great in the NFL. He's just a solid slot receiver. You can find guys like him in every draft.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:32 pm

Big Dave wrote:
I wonder how much better Bess' YAC stats are with a wide receiver that can open up the secondary giving him more room. I think the $2.6 million cap hit is on their minds. Personally, I think Carpenter's $3 million cap hit is where they are going to save their money if they can find a cheaper replacement.

Palm Beach Posts' Ben Volin analysis on Mar 29 of veterans who may not be on our roster this year:

Ben Volin wrote:
1. WR Davone Bess

Bess has been a great story for the Dolphins, signing with the team as an undrafted free agent in 2008 and quickly emerging as a solid, dependable slot receiver. He has averaged 64.2 catches and 689.4 yards over his five years, and 57 percent of his catches have gone for first downs over his career.

But if the Dolphins are serious about upgrading their wide receiver corps – and the additions of Wallace and Gibson show that they certainly are – then they must look to find an upgrade to Bess, who will be 28 this fall. He isn’t tall (5-10), doesn’t have elite speed (career long reception of 41 yards), dropped eight passes last year, scored just one touchdown last season and only has 12 in five years. He has been solid, but the Dolphins shouldn’t settle for solid anymore – they should want elite.

As it is, there might not be room on the roster for Bess with Wallace, Gibson and Brian Hartline in the fold, plus there are rumors of the Dolphins being interested in West Virginia speedster Tavon Austin with their first-round pick. Add in the fact that Bess is entering the final year of his contract, has only $750,000 in dead money (and can save the Dolphins $2.7 million in cap space) and that there was a little friction between him and the team at the end of last year concerning his back injury, and it’s not hard to see the team parting ways with him this year.

He still does have some value, so don’t be shocked if the Dolphins can trade him during April’s NFL Draft.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... s-in-2013/

that's an excellent post Dave. Miami fans always want to make Bess more than what he really is.
His numbers are pedestrian.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Now, or at the trade deadline. But I agree that now is the time if we want to add picks this year. That and he's likely not going to go up in value between now and then.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:42 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

I'd trade him for a 5th. Otherwise I'd let him battle it out in camp.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:55 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:

You think anyone at this point in time is going to offer up a 5th for Bess?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:57 pm
Profile WWW

cspooner13 wrote:
Rich wrote:

You think anyone at this point in time is going to offer up a 5th for Bess?

Maybe. If they don't get a player they're targetting in the draft.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:12 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:

Any specific teams you think would target him?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
that's an excellent post Dave. Miami fans always want to make Bess more than what he really is. His numbers are pedestrian.

I have no problem with letting him go. But I just warn about the use of the word "pedestrian."
As we have seen this offseason, "pedestrian" WRs can command big salaries.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:58 pm

cspooner13 wrote:
Rich wrote:

Any specific teams you think would target him?

Just within the division I think the Bills and Jets would be interested. Especially the Bills if they draft a QB and aren't able to land a player like Tavon Austin.

Arizona is another team that may be interested. There are a lot of teams that could use a player like Bess as a security blanket for a young QB.

It's a longshot, but if teams aren't able to address the need for a slot receiver in the draft, Bess would certainly be a viable option. He is young and consistent and would certainly contribute more than a 5th round pick probably would. I'm also thinking 5th rounder in 2014, not this year.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:06 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich, do you think that Miami would be likely to trade Bess within the division to either the Bills or Jets? I don't think it would really hurt us to trade him within the division, but you never want to help your rivals, right?

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:16 pm
Profile WWW

cspooner13 wrote:
Rich, do you think that Miami would be likely to trade Bess within the division to either the Bills or Jets? I don't think it would really hurt us to trade him within the division, but you never want to help your rivals, right?

Better to trade him within the division that let him go for nothing.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Touche'

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Tweet from Armondo Salgureo about Browns being interested in trade for Bess a few mins ago. Also says that Bess is on the block.

coming from reporter at Chicago Sun-Times

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:36 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Davone Bess Trade News
From Rotoworld.com.

The Chicago Sun-Times reports the Browns are "seriously considering" a trade for Davone Bess, and are one of "several teams in the mix."
Related: Browns
Source: Sean Jensen on Twitter

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Davone Bess Trade News
I'll cross my fingers it gets done.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:50 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Davone Bess Trade News
Why not keep Gibson AND Bess? What's wrong with depth?

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Trade him outside the AFC....

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:59 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

From Rotoworld.com

The Chicago Sun-Times reports the Browns are "seriously considering" a trade for Davone Bess, and are one of "several teams in the mix."
Reporter Sean Jensen hears "mid-round picks (are) being discussed." The Miami Herald confirms Bess is on the block, and it would be a "surprise" if he wasn't moved. Bess' ticket out of Miami was punched the day the Dolphins randomly signed Brandon Gibson to a three-year, $9.755 million deal. A chain-mover who offers nothing after the catch, Bess is due $2.6 million this season. He could maybe fetch a fifth- or sixth-round pick. A fifth would be a big-time win for Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland.
Related: Browns
Source: Sean Jensen on Twitter

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Armondo is saying its is supposedly for a mid-round pick.....

link

Tony Pauline also tweeting that the trade with Browns for their mid round pick(s) is about 99.9% according to his source(s).

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:03 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Couldnt complain if we got the browns 4th. 7th pick in the 4th for a player who was undrafted and while being a fan favorite hes never been more then a mediocre slot wr. Trade him while we can get value for him!

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:17 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Quote:
Sources tell me 99.9% receiver Davone Bess from Miami to Cleveland Browns for mid round picks.

https://twitter.com/TonyPauline/status/ ... 5687166976

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

That says "picks". Plural. Would they really give up more than one mid round pick for Bess?

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The Hen wrote:
Trade him outside the AFC....

Why does it matter?

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next