View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Branden Albert talks picking up again 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Branden Albert talks picking up again
Quote:
The on-again, off-again talks between the Dolphins and the Branden Albert camp are on-again and they are quite hot right now, a club source is telling me this morning

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:04 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Branden Albert talks picking up again
I bet he's a Fin by tomorrow morning.

You either roll the dice on Martin, spend 2-3 picks to get Johnson or spend 1 pick on a proven commodity. I realize its expensive but you have a team that appears built to win in the short term (is Tannehill up to the task?) so you secure an important position.

It creates a lot of flexibility with what they can do at 12 and 42.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

This is from Adam Schefter today:

Chiefs-Dolphins resumed trade talks for Branden Albert. This is like Revis deal: has to happen.

though my preference is to keep the pick and get Winston......that 2nd rounder is too valuable to me man, especially in this draft! I do understand it though

Martin-Winston is not as good as Albert-Martin

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:33 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

What a shocking surprise. :grin: I bet KC gets even more anxious tomorrow.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:50 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

bobby0112 wrote:
What a shocking surprise. :grin: I bet KC gets even more anxious tomorrow.

I think the Fins and KC all ready have a deal in place. It's up to Branden Albert and his agent.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:52 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
I bet he's a Fin by tomorrow morning.

You either roll the dice on Martin, spend 2-3 picks to get Johnson or spend 1 pick on a proven commodity. I realize its expensive but you have a team that appears built to win in the short term (is Tannehill up to the task?) so you secure an important position.

It creates a lot of flexibility with what they can do at 12 and 42.

I hope not, that would be very unwise. I hope they wait until after day one of the draft, or the whole event altogether. The talks of giving up a 2nd is pure trash in my opinion, the Fins are holding the best hand here, we have the leverage for obvious reasons. I would cringe at offering a 3rd for this guy, but the contract demands is the scary part of it all.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:59 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I hope not, that would be very unwise. I hope they wait until after day one of the draft, or the whole event altogether. The talks of giving up a 2nd is pure trash in my opinion, the Fins are holding the best hand here, we have the leverage for obvious reasons. I would cringe at offering a 3rd for this guy, but the contract demands is the scary part of it all.

This is what you have to consider:

KC is is position to sign a cheap guy to play on the right side OR draft tackles in the 1st and maybe 3rd rounds. They don't need Albert, now or beyond this year and AT Best they get an end of the 3rd Round comp pick in the future.

While they currently can't afford him, both SD and Arizona could trade an early 3rd (higher than Miami's) and sign Albert once they shed some salary. They are more desperate than Miami for an OT but can't beat them in a trade offer at the moment.

If Miami doesn't trade for Albert they are spending more than a late 2nd to get unproven commodities (The 3 OTs would require a bundle of picks). Plus KC could just get antsy and take the best offer leaving Miami in a bad spot for not acting on the opportunity.

They have the correct trade chip (54), the cap space, and the scheme that best suits Albert. His abilities give this offense a better chance to display their potential because Tannehill will have time to utilize his new weapons.

Its not about Eric Winston for me, its about handing Jonathan Martin a responsibility he has yet to earn. This team isn't 2-3 years away from the playoffs, they have a chance to be competitive now.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:36 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

jammer wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

This is what you have to consider:

KC is is position to sign a cheap guy to play on the right side OR draft tackles in the 1st and maybe 3rd rounds. They don't need Albert, now or beyond this year and AT Best they get an end of the 3rd Round comp pick in the future.

While they currently can't afford him, both SD and Arizona could trade an early 3rd (higher than Miami's) and sign Albert once they shed some salary. They are more desperate than Miami for an OT but can't beat them in a trade offer at the moment.

If Miami doesn't trade for Albert they are spending more than a late 2nd to get unproven commodities (The 3 OTs would require a bundle of picks). Plus KC could just get antsy and take the best offer leaving Miami in a bad spot for not acting on the opportunity.

They have the correct trade chip (54), the cap space, and the scheme that best suits Albert. His abilities give this offense a better chance to display their potential because Tannehill will have time to utilize his new weapons.

Its not about Eric Winston for me, its about handing Jonathan Martin a responsibility he has yet to earn. This team isn't 2-3 years away from the playoffs, they have a chance to be competitive now.

Depends on what you mean by competitive. Tannehill is coming into his sophomore season as QB, that historically doesn't go very well. So it may be good to temper expectations for next season. Also the team has recently changed a lot of starting positions on both offense and defense, it may take a full season before the team can gel together. I expect them to be competitive and for the offense to be more explosive, but I also expect to see more mistakes because guys aren't on the same page. Hoping the mistakes are limited, but gotta be realistic with this stuff.......

I'm not sure what you mean by Martin not earning a position. He started at both RT and LT last season, has added 15lbs to his frame(I assume mostly muscle) and that was on his own time. I don't see how he hasn't earned a chance at the spot?

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:40 pm

The bottom line here is that the Dolphins have surrounded Tannehill with pass catching weapons, some of them very explosive. Last year, whether he had time or not, our pass catchers had a tough time getting open. This year, it should open up a bit more.

But it isn't going to mean anything if Tannehill is getting pressured or hit too often.

So the Dolphins owe it to Tannehill, themselves and the fans to do everything in their power to put together a solid front line for Tannehill.

We can move Martin to left tackle and hope for the best, or as jammer has astutely pointed out, trade a few picks to move up and get in position to draft a tackle that may or may not pan out.

Or we can trade ONE pick to acquire a player who is NFL proven and ranks in the top 10 in pass protection as a left tackle, a former first round pick who fits into our scheme and move Martin back to right tackle where he will have a chance to continue to develop.

To me, the move that makes sense is giving up that #54 pick and acquiring Albert so we can focus on getting a playmaker with the #12 pick instead of reaching for the 2nd tier of offensive tackles or giving up multiple picks to grab one of the top 3.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:49 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
The bottom line here is that the Dolphins have surrounded Tannehill with pass catching weapons, some of them very explosive. Last year, whether he had time or not, our pass catchers had a tough time getting open. This year, it should open up a bit more.

But it isn't going to mean anything if Tannehill is getting pressured or hit too often.

So the Dolphins owe it to Tannehill, themselves and the fans to do everything in their power to put together a solid front line for Tannehill.

We can move Martin to left tackle and hope for the best, or as jammer has astutely pointed out, trade a few picks to move up and get in position to draft a tackle that may or may not pan out.

Or we can trade ONE pick to acquire a player who is NFL proven and ranks in the top 10 in pass protection as a left tackle, a former first round pick who fits into our scheme and move Martin back to right tackle where he will have a chance to continue to develop.

To me, the move that makes sense is giving up that #54 pick and acquiring Albert so we can focus on getting a playmaker with the #12 pick instead of reaching for the 2nd tier of offensive tackles or giving up multiple picks to grab one of the top 3.

Like I said earlier, I do understand the move and why it would be done. I would not be upset by it and would feel some relief knowing the OT spot is set for the next 3+ seasons.

There is just something about that 2nd round pick that I don't want to see them let it go. I just see the Fins taking Moore or Montgomery at #54 if they kept the pick and I think both guys could develop into good DE's for the team. I just have to let it go I guess.......

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:05 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

keebler_kahn wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by Martin not earning a position. He started at both RT and LT last season, has added 15lbs to his frame(I assume mostly muscle) and that was on his own time. I don't see how he hasn't earned a chance at the spot?

Didn't he give up more pressures and sacks in 4 games at LT than Long did in 12? He was subpar on the right side as well, the statistics prove that.

John Jerry played more snaps than anyone on the team, started at guard, has shown the ability to play both left and right tackle, showed up in good shape and is a 3 year vet. Has he earned the starting RG or RT gig due to these factors? Why did Miami sign Lance Louis, a potentially better option at RG?

Miami can keep Martin at RT, I'm certain he won't be unseated by Will Yeatman. But he hasn't earned the right to be a starting option at LT and prevent them from upgrading via the draft, FA or trade.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

keebler_kahn wrote:
There is just something about that 2nd round pick that I don't want to see them let it go. I just see the Fins taking Moore or Montgomery at #54 if they kept the pick and I think both guys could develop into good DE's for the team. I just have to let it go I guess.......

You don't at all. If you have a conviction that one of those guys is the bookend answer to Wake then keep pushing it. My or anyone else's opinion doesn't trump yours. Differences fuel good discussions.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:12 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

jammer wrote:
keebler_kahn wrote:

Didn't he give up more pressures and sacks in 4 games at LT than Long did in 12? He was subpar on the right side as well, the statistics prove that.

John Jerry played more snaps than anyone on the team, started at guard, has shown the ability to play both left and right tackle, showed up in good shape and is a 3 year vet. Has he earned the starting RG or RT gig due to these factors? Why did Miami sign Lance Louis, a potentially better option at RG?

Miami can keep Martin at RT, I'm certain he won't be unseated by Will Yeatman. But he hasn't earned the right to be a starting option at LT and prevent them from upgrading via the draft, FA or trade.

I think we have two different arguments going on here.

I am saying that Martin has earned a chance to try and win the LT job. As a rookie he struggled, especially with his strength and size. During the offseason he appears to be working on that. There are still OTA's and training camp to go through, can he improve to being a solid starting LT?

You are saying he hasn't earned the opportunity to be named the starting LT today as well as the respect of not being challenged for the job via draft or FA. I am not arguing against this at all, I am actually saying something similar.

Advanced stats aside, I think we differ in whether Martin should get a shot at all for the LT spot? I am guessing you believe he is too inferior to be given a chance there? While I am saying that I'd be willing to see whether he can do it or not by going through OTA's and training camp(of course that would mean brining in some comp for the job).

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:50 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

jammer wrote:
keebler_kahn wrote:

You don't at all. If you have a conviction that one of those guys is the bookend answer to Wake then keep pushing it. My or anyone else's opinion doesn't trump yours. Differences fuel good discussions.

No I'm saying I have to let it go because its looking like the Fins will do the deal. So I'm just preparing myself today for what might happen by Friday is all.

I appreciate the support though!

:yay:

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:52 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

ESPN's Ed Werder reported Wednesday that money is indeed the holdup in Branden Albert-to-Miami trade discussions.
The report runs in direct contrast to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network's, who reported Fins GM Jeff Ireland is willing to pay Albert top left-tackle money, leaving the hangup as draft-pick compensation. Again, in Lying Season it's very difficult to know what to believe. Werder has a virtually impeccable track record and has become more and more plugged-in around the NFL while having his ESPN role increased over the past year. Ultimately, the Chiefs and Dolphins are likely just posturing. We fully expect Albert to end up in Miami.

I hope Ireland gets Albert to lower his asking price to at least $7 million and then give them the 54th pick overall!

Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The fact is that Branden Albert is a top 10 LT and deserves to be paid as such.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:

I think this is what it comes down to for me also.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
The fact is that Branden Albert is a top 10 LT and deserves to be paid as such.

$7m a year is top 10 LT money

Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:59 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

This tweet from Omar Kelly.

Tweets from a list by Sun Sentinel Sports
Twitter

13m
Steve Wyche ✔ @wyche89

Chiefs GM Dorsey: trade compensation is the holdup in Albert trade w/Miami. Talks will continue into the night. Time is an issue.
Retweeted by Omar Kelly

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:20 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

phinsfansc wrote:
Chiefs GM Dorsey: trade compensation is the holdup in Albert trade w/Miami. Talks will continue into the night. Time is an issue.
Retweeted by Omar Kelly
[/b]

NFL.Com is reporting the same thing. I am guessing the Chiefs want the Dolphins early 2nd round pick and we want to give them our late one.

Quote:
The sticking point right now is compensation -- not so much in terms of a multiyear deal for Albert -- but what Kansas City wants in return. Though he did not say what the asking price is for Albert, who has signed his $9.8 million franchise tender, a second-round pick is believed to be at least part of the price. Dorsey made sure to state how good of a player Albert is, which indicated that additional picks could be part of the bounty.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -nfl-draft

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Mando just tweeted Miami and Albert have agreed to a deal. He's getting paid elite LT money.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:28 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:
Mando just tweeted Miami and Albert have agreed to a deal. He's getting paid elite LT money.

No problem with that. You put information out that he performed like a top 10 OLT in 2012. A lot less wear and tear on him than Jake, and he is a perfect fit for this team.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:

Lets hope is for much less than we could have had Jake back for. While Long wasn't too hot the last couple of years, I would take a healthy Long over Albert (JMO). I'm for this deal, but I sure hope we don't break the bank for a guy who isn't too hot with run blocking.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:41 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Lets hope is for much less than we could have had Jake back for. While Long wasn't too hot the last couple of years, I would take a healthy Long over Albert (JMO). I'm for this deal, but I sure hope we don't break the bank for a guy who isn't too hot with run blocking.

That just it Phin. Jake has not been able to make it through a season for the last 2 years. Injuries have REALLY taken there toll on Jake.

Brandon Albert is an ideal fit for this zone blocking scheme.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm not for paying any OT that type of money. Just not worth it, in my opinion.

That said, if the only two options are trading for and paying Albert, or using a 1st and 2nd round pick to take an OT, I'm going with Albert and it's not even close.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

That said, if the only two options are trading for and paying Albert, or using a 1st and 2nd round pick to take an OT, I'm going with Albert and it's not even close.

Yeah, why have a guy who protects the QBs blindside and gives him time to throw.
Anyone can do that

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:54 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:

OLT get paid JP. You need to realize that my man.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:05 pm

Is Atlanta hurting because they have Sam Baker?

How many more wins do they have if their LT is Joe Thomas?

How many more losses does Cleveland have if their LT is Baker?

The answers are no, none and none.

Do you absolutely have to get solid play from your LT? Yes. Does it need to be elite? No. The only significant difference between Baker and Thomas is money.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:10 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:
Is Atlanta hurting because they have Sam Baker?

How many more wins do they have if their LT is Joe Thomas?

How many more losses does Cleveland have if their LT is Baker?

The answers are no, none and none.

Do you absolutely have to get solid play from your LT? Yes. Does it need to be elite? No. The only significant difference between Baker and Thomas is money.

Let me make my feeling CRYSTAL clear. If you don't have good personnel up front, YOU LOSE. You have good personnel up front, you are going to eventually have to pay them.

If Miami would have drafted one of the young OLT, after year 5, they are going to get paid. What are you going to do, trade them and then try to find another OLT?

And stop bringing up Joe Thomas. Cleveland is a piss poor organization. I guess it Joe Thomas fault that they have a hot pile surrounding him and can't get a team put together.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
Let me make my feeling CRYSTAL clear. If you don't have good personnel up front, YOU LOSE. You have good personnel up front, you are going to eventually have to pay them.

Good, but not elite. Two different things. The question is do elite LT win games for teams or would just a good one work & not cost you games?

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:25 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Dphins4me wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Good, but not elite. Two different things. The question is do elite LT win games for teams or would just a good one work & not cost you games?

Whether they be ELITE or good OL personnel, eventually they will have to get paid.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:36 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
Whether they be ELITE or good OL personnel, eventually they will have to get paid.
Let someone else pay them.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:39 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Dphins4me wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Okay.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:40 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Yup.

As good and convenient as it is to have Joe Thomas... 92 million? I would have let him walk.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Okay.
More bad teams in the top 10 than good.

Left Tackles

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:48 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Yup.

As good and convenient as it is to have Joe Thomas... 92 million? I would have let him walk.

Cleveland's troubles have nothing to do with paying Joe Thomas 92 million. They have everything to do with years of terrible drafting.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cspooner13 wrote:
Cleveland's troubles have nothing to do with paying Joe Thomas 92 million. They have everything to do with years of terrible drafting.
True, but 11.5 million per for a player who does not touch the ball is a high price.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:44 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

But a necessary one

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:48 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cspooner13 wrote:
But a necessary one

Would Cleveland be any worse without Thomas? Would paying a good LT 5 million per & freeing up another 6.5 allow them to become a better team?

All a team needs is a competent LT. Someone who can win the battle more times than not & not be a turnstile LT. Jake Long was a dominate LT for Miami for 3 Yr & Miami could not win.

LT is the more overblown position in the NFL.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It appears we're also looking to move Davone Bess. Perhaps we trade Bess, trade for Albert, and draft Patterson, Austin, or Eifert?

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next