View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Arizona possibly discussing trade for Brandon Albert 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Arizona possibly discussing trade for Brandon Albert
This from Rotoworld.com and Mike Jurecki, the individual that broke the news of the Dolphins discussing contract with Albert.

Mike Jurecki of XTRA Phoenix is "hearing" the Cardinals "have discussed" trading for Chiefs LT Branden Albert.
The Dolphins and Albert's agent held contract discussion over the weekend, but those talks have reportedly stalled. Insert the Cardinals. Arizona has been mentioned as a landing spot for one of the top offensive tackles in the draft at No. 7 overall, but there's a real possibility none of the three will be there. Kansas City wants a second-round pick in exchange for Albert -- the Cardinals hold the 38th pick. Albert also needs a new long-term contract, and he is said to be seeking upwards of $9 million annually.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:08 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Arizona possibly discussing trade for Brandon Albert
Arizona has the worst offensive line in the NFL, are we surprised that they'd be rumored to be in play for Albert?

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:11 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I am watching NFL Network and Ian Rappaport just said the Dolphins don't have a problem paying the 8-9 mill/per year. It if the Chiefs will take the #54 pick.

Arizona has the #38 pick in the 2nd round. So we will see were this goes.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:15 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Hah, I just mentioned that on two other posts

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

This is from a segment posted on ProFootballTalk.com. Kent Somers is pretty piped in to Arizona, and he shots it down. I have highlighted it in the story.

Run on tackles could cause Cardinals to consider Branden Albert
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 22, 2013, 7:16 PM EDT
Branden Albert AP

The Arizona Cardinals could use a left tackle, and they have the No. 7 overall pick in a strong draft for left tackles. But with talk increasing that all three of the top tackle prospects will be gone within the first six picks, the Cardinals may need to look elsewhere.

That may be why Mike Jurecki ‏of XTRA 910 in Phoenix is hearing that the Cardinals have discussed a trade with the Chiefs for left tackle Branden Albert. The Chiefs are reportedly willing to accept a second-round pick as compensation for Albert, who has been their starting left tackle for the last five years.

The problem, however, is that Albert reportedly wants between $8 million and $9 million a year on a long-term contract. That appears to be the holdup on a trade with the Dolphins that had previously been discussed. The Cardinals would have to be willing to make a significant financial investment if they’re going to trade for Albert. And that’s why Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic is hearing that Albert is too expensive for the Cardinals’ tastes.

But if Texas A&M left tackle Luke Joeckel, Central Michigan left tackle Eric Fisher and Oklahoma left tackle Lane Johnson are all off the board before the Cardinals make their pick, then Arizona may decide that the best option is to address another position in the first round and use their second-round pick to get Albert.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:26 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Some additional quotes from Rotoworld.com with additional skepticism that the Cardinals are serious about this. Makes me believes perhaps the Chiefs are trying to stir things up to get Miami to give up #42.

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic and Darren Urban of AZCardinals.com are both skeptical the Cards are seriously in the Branden Albert hunt.
Somers hears Albert is asking for too much money, while Urban "doesn't see" the team making a run at Albert. The Cards did discuss Albert, which we'll take as an indication they don't anticipate Eric Fisher or Lane Johnson falling to them at No. 7 overall. If the Cardinals really wanted Albert, they could make it happen by trading the No. 38 pick and signing him to a contract with a small first-year cap number. They're currently about $7 million under the cap.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported on Total Access that the Dolphins are willing to meet LT Branden Albert's asking price, but the hangup in a Kansas City-to-Miami trade is draft-pick compensation.
"I'm told the Dolphins do not have a problem with that," Rapoport said of Albert's price tag. "I know some people are saying different. I'm told they don't have a problem with it." Per Rapoport, Albert wants "Duane Brown money" -- not Jake Long money. Brown signed a six-year, $53.4 million extension last August, with $22.08 million guaranteed. It sounds like the Chiefs will send Albert to the Dolphins if the sides agree to trade terms. Miami has two second-rounders, but would prefer to part with No. 54 rather than 42.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Interesting how all of this is unfolding. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I could see San Diego going all in on Albert. They actually need 2 tackles.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If Arizona wants him, they'll get him. They have the highest 2nd round pick to offer for him. Any one of the three teams in play would eventually be able to hash out a deal long term. But its the compensation that might leave us on the outside looking in. I could easily see a scenario where Arizona badly wants protection for Carson Palmer, and is willing to draft Johnson at 7th overall, and trade their 2nd round pick for Albert.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:27 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'd be pretty surprised if Arizona went all in on the O-line to draft Lane Johnson AND bring in Branden Albert. It would be a great move for them, mind you. I think we all remember what Fitzgerald and the Cardinals did the last time he had a somewhat competent QB throwing to him.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
I'd be pretty surprised if Arizona went all in on the O-line to draft Lane Johnson AND bring in Branden Albert. It would be a great move for them, mind you. I think we all remember what Fitzgerald and the Cardinals did the last time he had a somewhat competent QB throwing to him.

Locking down bookend tackles for the next four to five years definitely isn't the worst thing you could do with your first two picks.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:39 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
Locking down bookend tackles for the next four to five years definitely isn't the worst thing you could do with your first two picks.

It certainly isn't, and were they to do that, they'd quickly go from the worst O-line in the NFL to one of the better ones. If they were to do this, with the addition of Carson Palmer, the NFC West might be the scariest division in football.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:11 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]