View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:18 am



Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 random prospect news headin into the draft 
Author Message
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5193
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post random prospect news headin into the draft
Quote:
One NFL scout likened Tennessee Tech WR Da'Rick Rogers to Brandon Marshall in terms of his off-field concerns but immense NFL upside.
At least one NFL team has removed Rogers from its draft board due to repeated violations of Tennessee's substance abuse policy, before Rogers' transfer to Tech. "He's got some Brandon Marshall in him," the scout said. "He's got some self-entitlement, some things that kept Brandon from being drafted high. He is a very good football player." Marshall was a fourth-round pick.


Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:14 pm
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5193
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
Quote:
At least one NFL team has "major reservations" about Arkansas-Pine Bluff OT Terron Armstead's back.
We knew Armstead played the entire 2012 season with a sprained AC joint in his shoulder, but had heard nothing of back woes. The shoulder injury is routine and fixable, but back problems can be very concerning for offensive linemen (see Marcus McNeill, Sam Baker, Chris Samuels, and many more.) If multiple teams have a medical red flag on Armstead, he could fall in the draft.


Quote:
"Several scouts" around the NFL have expressed concerns about Alabama RT D.J. Fluker's "study and work habits."
"Great kid, but you don't want him doing your taxes," said one scout. Another scout compared Fluker to a stronger, more competitive version of Bryan Bulaga, but "maybe not as smart." Fluker bounced around three high schools because his family was forced out of New Orleans due to Hurricane Katrina. It's not surprising he may be learning-deficient. We still like Fluker to be a top-12 pick.


Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:18 pm
Profile
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3239
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
At least one NFL team has "major reservations" about Arkansas-Pine Bluff OT Terron Armstead's back.
We knew Armstead played the entire 2012 season with a sprained AC joint in his shoulder, but had heard nothing of back woes. The shoulder injury is routine and fixable, but back problems can be very concerning for offensive linemen (see Marcus McNeill, Sam Baker, Chris Samuels, and many more.) If multiple teams have a medical red flag on Armstead, he could fall in the draft.


Quote:
"Several scouts" around the NFL have expressed concerns about Alabama RT D.J. Fluker's "study and work habits."
"Great kid, but you don't want him doing your taxes," said one scout. Another scout compared Fluker to a stronger, more competitive version of Bryan Bulaga, but "maybe not as smart." Fluker bounced around three high schools because his family was forced out of New Orleans due to Hurricane Katrina. It's not surprising he may be learning-deficient. We still like Fluker to be a top-12 pick.



I saw that news in regards to Armstead and his back. That has to be a concern, but I am sure teams checked that. We will see how much of an issue it is come the draft.

_________________
Image


Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:24 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
Assuming that he can get over himself and the off-field issues, Rodgers is a great talent and would be a good late second/early third day pick

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Posts: 382
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
cspooner13 wrote:
Assuming that he can get over himself and the off-field issues, Rodgers is a great talent and would be a good late second/early third day pick

In the 3rd day i think Philbin will take a chance on some guys


Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:29 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
I think Philbin has made it quite clear that he won't tolerate low-character guys in his locker room

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3239
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
cspooner13 wrote:
I think Philbin has made it quite clear that he won't tolerate low-character guys in his locker room


THIS........

_________________
Image


Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:33 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Posts: 382
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
cspooner13 wrote:
I think Philbin has made it quite clear that he won't tolerate low-character guys in his locker room

Maybe Rodgers has matured and a team is putting this out there so he can slip further for them you never know. You know that this week every negative thing on a prospect is coming out


Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:38 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
Very true, and I truly hope that is the case, as I think that Da'Rick is a wonderful talent and would love to see him in a Dolphin jersey. I just don't think it will happen with his character issues.

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Posts: 382
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
cspooner13 wrote:
Very true, and I truly hope that is the case, as I think that Da'Rick is a wonderful talent and would love to see him in a Dolphin jersey. I just don't think it will happen with his character issues.

If he's in the 6th round which i can see happening, especially when Vontez Burfict (my b if i spelled his name wrong) got undrafted and proved to be a steal I think it's a low risk, huge reward type of deal


Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:23 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
Vontaze Burfict if I remember right, and he's another guy that I loved coming out of college but was a risk off the field. I was honestly shocked when he went undrafted. I figured him for a 5th round guy.

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 am
Posts: 1055
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
phinsfansc wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:
I think Philbin has made it quite clear that he won't tolerate low-character guys in his locker room


THIS........


I second the motion. Not only does Philbin not tolerate low character guys, he won't tolerate guys who challenge him. Remember Reggie Bush, Karlos Dansby and Jake Long protesting against Philbin cutting Chad Johnson and then asking him about forming a player "leadership council"? Notice that all three of them are no longer on the team.

The message Philbin sent is clear. Things aren't up for discussion in Miami. It's his way or the Palmetto Expressway.

_________________
Image


Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:06 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3846
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
TommyNoleFin wrote:
I second the motion. Not only does Philbin not tolerate low character guys, he won't tolerate guys who challenge him. Remember Reggie Bush, Karlos Dansby and Jake Long protesting against Philbin cutting Chad Johnson and then asking him about forming a player "leadership council"? Notice that all three of them are no longer on the team.

The message Philbin sent is clear. Things aren't up for discussion in Miami. It's his way or the Palmetto Expressway.

The message is play up to your pay. None of the three did last year, so that is why they are gone.


Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:59 pm
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5193
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
Quote:
NFL Draft insider Tony Pauline reports the Jaguars are looking at "either" Oregon DE/LB Dion Jordan or the top offensive tackles at the No. 2 pick.
There is growing buzz about Jacksonville selecting a tackle at No. 2, though we tend to believe it may be a smokescreen in an effort to trade down. Jordan would be a fantastic pick for the Jags, upgrading the NFL's most sluggish pass rush while providing great range as a zone-dropping end or linebacker. Per Pauline, BYU's Ziggy Ansah would be a fallback target if the Jags trade down.


Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:09 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5047
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
Dphins4me wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:
I second the motion. Not only does Philbin not tolerate low character guys, he won't tolerate guys who challenge him. Remember Reggie Bush, Karlos Dansby and Jake Long protesting against Philbin cutting Chad Johnson and then asking him about forming a player "leadership council"? Notice that all three of them are no longer on the team.

The message Philbin sent is clear. Things aren't up for discussion in Miami. It's his way or the Palmetto Expressway.

The message is play up to your pay. None of the three did last year, so that is why they are gone.


I said last year that all three guys wouldn't be around for long after they pulled that stunt on Hard Knocks. You could just tell by the way Philbin squirmed in his seat that it didn't set right with him.


Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:50 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20220
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
ag_fin_90 wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:
Assuming that he can get over himself and the off-field issues, Rodgers is a great talent and would be a good late second/early third day pick

In the 3rd day i think Philbin will take a chance on some guys


Did we fire Ireland already?

_________________
Image


Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:08 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5286
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
Dphins4me wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:
I second the motion. Not only does Philbin not tolerate low character guys, he won't tolerate guys who challenge him. Remember Reggie Bush, Karlos Dansby and Jake Long protesting against Philbin cutting Chad Johnson and then asking him about forming a player "leadership council"? Notice that all three of them are no longer on the team.

The message Philbin sent is clear. Things aren't up for discussion in Miami. It's his way or the Palmetto Expressway.

The message is play up to your pay. None of the three did last year, so that is why they are gone.


I think you could make both arguments. Its not a coincidence that all 3 are gone and Davone Bess is now rumored to be on the trading block when the 4 of the comprised the "leadership council". I've seen a few of the beat reporters refer to this idea as well.

This is Philbin's team, not he's a coach and the players will police the locker room issues. They are ushering out loud voices so his guys can step up and follow his lead.


Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:16 am
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5193
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
Quote:
According to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, the Saints "seem quite intrigued" by Florida State DE/OLB Tank Carradine at the No. 15 pick.
Carradine was a 4-3 right end at FSU, but plenty of teams are intrigued by his fit as a 3-4 outside 'backer. He runs well at 6-foot-4, 273 and is bendy and extremely active. We suspect the Saints would draft Georgia's Jarvis Jones ahead of him, but Carradine is a better athlete and arguably offers more upside.


Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:31 pm
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5193
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
Quote:
CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco provides four names to "watch" for the 49ers' No. 31 pick if they stay put: SMU DE Margus Hunt, Florida State DE/OLB Tank Carradine, FIU S Jon Cyprien, and Stanford TE Zach Ertz.
The 49ers are also believed to be interested in trading up, perhaps for Carradine. We expect Carradine and Cyprien to both be long gone by the 31st pick. San Francisco wants an eventual replacement for Justin Smith, and 6-foot-8, 277-pound Hunt could be a candidate to plug that hole. Ertz would probably be a fallback option. Buzz has died on him and he projects as a day-two pick.


Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:32 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
Well, so much for me slating Tank in as our pick in the second round. Apparently I'm going to have to rethink things before I publish on my blog

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2626
Location: MA.
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
cspooner13 wrote:
I think Philbin has made it quite clear that he won't tolerate low-character guys in his locker room



Quote:
On June 2, 2007, Wilson shot and killed the boyfriend of his aunt, 29 year old Kevin Smoot of Lancaster, California. Wilson was subsequently arrested on June 12, 2007 on murder charges by the State of California.


Let's not be like Patiots fans and pretend that we only have good guys on the team.......Everyone would like that to be true but it's not.


Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:47 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
Quote:
Two murder trials were held, in the first trial the jury was unable to reach a verdict after a week of deliberation, and the second trial ended on July 9, 2009 in an acquittal by the jury as his attorney argued Wilson acted in self-defense during the altercation.


You're not exactly being fair to Wilson now are you?

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5193
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
Quote:
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora writes Kent State T Brian Winters could sneak into the first-round.
"There is an outside shot he creeps to the back of the first round, though I hear the most buzz at the top of the second round. The Bills, Cardinals and 49ers all scheduled late visits with him, sources said, which is usually a sign of intent," La Canfora writes. It seems that there's a lot of buzz about Winters, as only a few days ago Russ Lande said Winters could go in the second-round too.


I wanted this guy with our 3rd or 4th pick


Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:57 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20220
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
Kev1321 wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:
I think Philbin has made it quite clear that he won't tolerate low-character guys in his locker room



Quote:
On June 2, 2007, Wilson shot and killed the boyfriend of his aunt, 29 year old Kevin Smoot of Lancaster, California. Wilson was subsequently arrested on June 12, 2007 on murder charges by the State of California.


Let's not be like Patiots fans and pretend that we only have good guys on the team.......Everyone would like that to be true but it's not.


Sorry, but you're taking the story way out of context.

Any man would have done the same in Wilson's situation.

_________________
Image


Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:38 am
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 am
Posts: 1055
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
Rich wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:
I think Philbin has made it quite clear that he won't tolerate low-character guys in his locker room



Quote:
On June 2, 2007, Wilson shot and killed the boyfriend of his aunt, 29 year old Kevin Smoot of Lancaster, California. Wilson was subsequently arrested on June 12, 2007 on murder charges by the State of California.


Let's not be like Patiots fans and pretend that we only have good guys on the team.......Everyone would like that to be true but it's not.


Sorry, but you're taking the story way out of context.

Any man would have done the same in Wilson's situation.


Wilson is innocent. He ended up spending two years in jail for a crime he didn't commit.

_________________
Image


Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:04 am
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5193
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
Quote:
ESPN's Sal Paolantonio stated on Philly's 97.5 The Fanatic that he's heard the Eagles are targeting a tackle at No. 4 overall, with West Virginia's Tavon Austin as the primary fallback option.


Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:44 pm
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5193
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
Quote:
Sources tell ProFootballTalk.com that Mississippi State CB Darius Slay has a torn meniscus in his knee.
Slay did not miss a game last season and blazed a 4.36 forty at the Combine. So it's a recent injury for a player that was projected as a second-round pick at worst. Meniscus tears aren't overly difficult to recover from, but they can lead to knee problems down the line. The meniscus is the part of the knee that cushions the load in the body's most fragile joint.


Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:45 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20220
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
Sources tell ProFootballTalk.com that Mississippi State CB Darius Slay has a torn meniscus in his knee.
Slay did not miss a game last season and blazed a 4.36 forty at the Combine. So it's a recent injury for a player that was projected as a second-round pick at worst. Meniscus tears aren't overly difficult to recover from, but they can lead to knee problems down the line. The meniscus is the part of the knee that cushions the load in the body's most fragile joint.


While it is possible to play with a torn meniscus, if he has to get surgery that's a tricky procedure with a tricky recovery.

_________________
Image


Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:51 pm
Profile
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5193
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: random prospect news headin into the draft
Quote:
CSN Philadelphia passes along "a lot of buzz today" about Florida State QB E.J. Manuel going in the top-20 picks on Thursday night.
Our initial reaction is skepticism, but the NFL draft isn't predictable and teams that covet high-ceiling quarterbacks will be very high on strong-armed, athletic Manuel. On SportsCenter Wednesday, ESPN's Ron Jaworski agreed Manuel has the "highest upside of any QB in this class" and rated him the position's No. 3 prospect, behind only Geno Smith and Ryan Nassib. We don't believe Manuel would last beyond the Eagles' second-rounder at No. 35.


Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:35 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MiamiSteve, MSNbot Media and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.