View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Cap Situation - If Dolphins trade for Albert 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Cap Situation - If Dolphins trade for Albert
The Kansas City Chiefs used the "non-exclusive" franchise tag on Branden Albert. That means he has the right to negotiate directly with other teams and sign an offer sheet. If the Chiefs do not match the offer sheet, Albert becomes a member of the other team and the Chiefs get two first round picks as compensation.

Obviously, no one is going to sign Albert to an offer sheet and give up two first round picks, which is why what is being reported is that the Chiefs are willing to trade Albert for at least a 2nd round pick, which is within their rights.

So, how does this possibly affect the Dolphins salary cap? Right now, Albert's cap number is $9.8 million.

- The Dolphins have $9.1 million remaining in cap space with 65 players under contract. Remember, only the top 51 cap numbers count against the cap, so we have 14 players under contract that do not impact the cap.

- Also remember that the Dolphins will need about $6 million in cap space for rookie contracts. That leaves $3.1 million in cap space to spend right now.

- After June 1st, the Dolphins will get an additional $10+ million in cap space. But this cap space CANNOT be used prior to June 1st, so the Dolphins can't sign Albert and wait for June 1st to come. If they are over the cap at any point, the NFL will take action.

- The Dolphins could afford to trade for Albert and take the full $9.8 million hit if they were to cut Dmitri Patterson and Richard Marshall. This would open up an additional $8 million in cap space, putting the Dolphins at around $11 million in cap space (excluding rookie cap) prior to June 1st, which is enough to then fit in Albert's cap numbers.

- There are two ways to handle the cap situation Albert would create.

Senario 1 - The Dolphins could trade for Albert and sign him to a long-term deal. His cap number for 2013 would be low and would mostly likely escalate in 2014 or 2015. The risk here is that we have several contracts escalating in 2014 and another big contract would put further strain on that. But there is a way around that risk. Remember that the cap space that the Dolphins have at the end of the 2013 season will roll over. If the Dolphins were to make Albert their last significant signing and part ways with big cap numbers such as Patterson's and Marshall's, after June 1st they would still have a considerable amount of cap space and would presumably be done with big signings. Barring a significant amount of injuries forcing the Dolphins to sign more players, the Dolphins could conceivably roll over a large amount of cap space for 2014. Some quick napkin math.

Current cap space:

$9.1 million
$6 million for rookies
$3 million

Cut Patterson and Marshall

$11 million in cap space

Trade for Albert, sign to long-term deal
$4 million cap hit in 2013

$7 million in cap space

June 1st - Dansby and Burnett off the books

$15 million in cap space

Dolphins do not sign anymore free agents.

That $15 million roll overs to 2014, where it is much needed.

Scenario 2 - The Dolphins trade for Albert and decide to absord the $9.8 million hit this season. This could be worked under the cap and then Albert can resign for a long-term deal in 2014, with a smaller cap hit, it would fit nicely while other contracts escalate.

Current cap space:

$9.1 million
$6 million for rookies
$3 million

Cut Patterson and Marshall

$11 million in cap space

Trade for Albert, take $9.8 million hit

$1 million in cap space

June 1st - Dansby and Burnett off the books

$9 million in cap space

Dolphins do not sign anymore free agents.

That $9 million roll overs to 2014

The Dolphins were willing to resign Jake Long to a long-term deal, so there is no reason they can't figure something out with Branden Albert. They can then focus on cornerback, which makes big cap numbers such as Dmitri Patterson and Richard Marshall very expendable.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:45 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Cap Situation - If Dolphins trade for Albert
Nice job putting that together. Thanks Rich.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:46 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Thank you Rich.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:54 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Nice work Rich. Trading Davone Bess would help as well if those rumblings are true.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:14 am

jammer wrote:
Nice work Rich. Trading Davone Bess would help as well if those rumblings are true.

And acquiring Albert would certainly give us the flexibility to add another wide receiver and trade Bess.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:18 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm at a loss as to why we haven't just signed Winston. Is Albert really worth that much more? I know Winston is older, but he graded out really well last year (didn't he?), and Albert represents such a greater investment. I don't get it. :???

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:21 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

k-dash wrote:
I'm at a loss as to why we haven't just signed Winston. Is Albert really worth that much more? I know Winston is older, but he graded out really well last year (didn't he?), and Albert represents such a greater investment. I don't get it. :???

I feel the same exact way. Isn't Winston a higher graded tackle as well?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:22 am

Albert would play left tackle, Winston wouldn't.

Left tackles are more expensive.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:31 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

And acquiring Albert would certainly give us the flexibility to add another wide receiver and trade Bess.

Very nice job.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Great job Rich, as always with these pieces. I just had a couple of questions.

Why would you have to cut Patterson and Marshall? Just Patterson would do the trick, no?

9.1+4 million savings gives you enough to take on that 9.8. You don't need anymore cap until you start signing rookies in July, and by that time the June 1st boost will have kicked in.

Also Rich, you mention how if you signed Albert his 2013 hit could be minimal. I read yesterday that regardless of what happens Albert will be on the books for 9.8 million in 2013. I'll try and find it.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:47 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Albert would play left tackle, Winston wouldn't.

Left tackles are more expensive.

Roll Martin to LT and sign Winston at RT. Much cheaper route, and teams with "elite" or above average lines are non playoff caliber teams for a reason, they have invested heavily in their lines and neglected play makers. I realize we have spent big on Wallace, but we need another high caliber guy as well. Hartline is alright, but we need more speed behind Wallace. We don't need to invest big money on the o-line.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:04 am

Albert graded better than Winston, but not by much.

However, Albert graded much better as a pass protector than Winston (Albert ranked 11th, Winston ranked 24th).

If the goal is to protect Tannehill, Albert is the more valuable player.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:01 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
Why would you have to cut Patterson and Marshall? Just Patterson would do the trick, no?

9.1+4 million savings gives you enough to take on that 9.8. You don't need anymore cap until you start signing rookies in July, and by that time the June 1st boost will have kicked in.

I guess you could look at it that way, but I was just going ahead and factoring in the hit for rookie contracts now.

At the end of the day, after June 1st the Dolphins will continue to have a considerable amount of cap flexibility or the ability to roll over a nice amount of cap space to 2014.

Quote:
Also Rich, you mention how if you signed Albert his 2013 hit could be minimal. I read yesterday that regardless of what happens Albert will be on the books for 9.8 million in 2013. I'll try and find it.

My understanding is that you can sign a franchise player to a longterm deal by July 15th and change the effects of the cap hit.

In effect, a restructure.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:28 pm

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Roll Martin to LT and sign Winston at RT.

So put an even bigger question mark on Tannehill's blindside and then replace him with a guy on the wrong side of 30? I'm not sure in the longterm that is the much cheaper route. You get what you pay for.

Quote:
and teams with "elite" or above average lines are non playoff caliber teams for a reason, they have invested heavily in their lines and neglected play makers.

The top rated pass protecting offensive line in the NFL was the Denver Broncos offensive line, with elite left tackle Ryan Clady by the way.

The Bengals, 49ers, Patriots and Texans, all playoff teams, were in the top 10 in pass protection.

From a run blocking perspective, the 49ers, who played in the Superbowl, were the top rated run blocking team. They've invested heavily in offensive line throughout the years. The Patriots were 2nd. They have invested high picks on linemen as well. The Redskins were 9th. Same thing.

So I am not sure where you got this notion that teams with elite or above average offensive lines are not playoff caliber teams.

Quote:
I realize we have spent big on Wallace, but we need another high caliber guy as well. Hartline is alright, but we need more speed behind Wallace. We don't need to invest big money on the o-line.

We can acquire more skill position talent in the draft. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:34 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Roll Martin to LT and sign Winston at RT.

So put an even bigger question mark on Tannehill's blindside and then replace him with a guy on the wrong side of 30? I'm not sure in the longterm that is the much cheaper route. You get what you pay for.

Quote:
and teams with "elite" or above average lines are non playoff caliber teams for a reason, they have invested heavily in their lines and neglected play makers.

The top rated pass protecting offensive line in the NFL was the Denver Broncos offensive line, with elite left tackle Ryan Clady by the way.

The Bengals, 49ers, Patriots and Texans, all playoff teams, were in the top 10 in pass protection.

From a run blocking perspective, the 49ers, who played in the Superbowl, were the top rated run blocking team. They've invested heavily in offensive line throughout the years. The Patriots were 2nd. They have invested high picks on linemen as well. The Redskins were 9th. Same thing.

So I am not sure where you got this notion that teams with elite or above average offensive lines are not playoff caliber teams.

Quote:
I realize we have spent big on Wallace, but we need another high caliber guy as well. Hartline is alright, but we need more speed behind Wallace. We don't need to invest big money on the o-line.

We can acquire more skill position talent in the draft. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Those teams have elite quarterbacks (outside of Kaepernick), especially New England and Denver. Peyton/Brady would do just fine on an average offensive line. Albert plays for the Chiefs, Thomas plays for the Browns, Long played for us. Here is a list of the highest paid offensive linemen from last season, notice the trend here:

Quote:
Centers
1. Nick Mangold, Jets – $5,362,600
2. Ryan Kalil, Panthers – $5,100,000
3. David Baas, Giants – $4,950,000
4. Eugen Amano, Titans – $4,632,500
5. Chris Myers, Texans – $4,500,000
6. Scott Wells, Rams – $4,500,000
7. Jeff Saturday, Packers – $4,000,000
8. John Sullivan, Vikings – $4,000,000
9. Chris Spencer, Bears – $3,750,000
10. Jonathan Goodwin, 49ers – $3,716,667

Guards
1. Carl Nicks, Buccaneers – $12,500,000
2. Davin Joseph, Buccaneers – $9,500,000
3. Chris Snee, Giants – $7,900,000
4. Logan Mankins, Patriots – $7,000,000
5. Marshall Yanda, Ravens – $6,500,000
6. Uche Nwaneri, Jaguars – $4,191,666
7. Harvey Dahl, Rams – $4,000,000
8. Todd Herremans, Eagles – $3,800,000
9. Jahri Evans, Saints – $3,600,000
10. Chris Kuper, Broncos – $3,500,000

Tackles
1. Jake Long, Dolphins – $11,200,000
2. Trent Williams, Redskins – $11,000,000
3. Joe Thomas, Browns – $10,500,000
4. Jason Smith, Rams – $10,000,000
5. Jordan Gross, Panthers – $9,500,000
6. Jason Peters, Eagles – $8,250,000
7. Michael Roos, Titans – $7,300,000
8. Andre Smith, Bengals – $6,508,000
9. David Stewart, Titans – $6,200,000
10. Donald Penn, Buccaneers – $5,900,000

Every player on the top of those lists is on a losing team. Albert's number would definitely be up there. There are more teams that did not make the playoffs than not, you don't need to invest $9m annually on an OT to have a good team. If Tannehill NEEDS a $9m LT for him to succeed, that would be very worrisome. In the next couple seasons, Pouncey is going to be demanding Nick Mangold type money, that would be near $15m just on two offensive linemen alone.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:46 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

He may be part of the trade, send him to KC with a pick and take Albert..
Then draft a guy like Swope in the mid rounds....

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:53 pm

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Those teams have elite quarterbacks (outside of Kaepernick), especially New England and Denver.

Presumably, we've acquired our franchise quarterback so this only weakens your argument. It is time to do everything we can to surround him with good talent. That includes protecting him as much as possible.

Quote:
Every player on the top of those lists is on a losing team.

It is convenient for you to narrow it down to the guy that the top of the list, but a good portion of the players on those lists actually play for playoff teams or playoff contenders.

Argument continues to weaken.

Centers
3. David Baas, Giants – $4,950,000 - Won a Superbowl recently
5. Chris Myers, Texans – $4,500,000 - Consistent playoff contender
7. Jeff Saturday, Packers – $4,000,000 - Won a Superbowl recently
8. John Sullivan, Vikings – $4,000,000 - Made the playoffs in 2012
10. Jonathan Goodwin, 49ers – $3,716,667 - Superbowl team

Guards
3. Chris Snee, Giants – $7,900,000 - Won a Superbowl recently
4. Logan Mankins, Patriots – $7,000,000 - Perennial SUperbowl contender
5. Marshall Yanda, Ravens – $6,500,000 - Won a Superbowl recently
9. Jahri Evans, Saints – $3,600,000 - Won a Superbowl recently
10. Chris Kuper, Broncos – $3,500,000 - Superbowl contender

Tackles
2. Trent Williams, Redskins – $11,000,000 - Playoff team
8. Andre Smith, Bengals – $6,508,000 - Playoff team

Quote:
Albert's number would definitely be up there.

Maybe, but he wouldn't be the highest paid left tackle in the NFL.

Quote:
There are more teams that did not make the playoffs than not

Most teams don't make the playoffs every season... so I don't get your point.

Quote:
you don't need to invest $9m annually on an OT to have a good team. If Tannehill NEEDS a $9m LT for him to succeed, that would be very worrisome.

You've pulled the $9 million number out of thin air. Let's deal with facts, not speculation.

Thank you.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I guess you could look at it that way, but I was just going ahead and factoring in the hit for rookie contracts now.

At the end of the day, after June 1st the Dolphins will continue to have a considerable amount of cap flexibility or the ability to roll over a nice amount of cap space to 2014.

Quote:

My understanding is that you can sign a franchise player to a longterm deal by July 15th and change the effects of the cap hit.

In effect, a restructure.

There is a rule that if a player does not sign his tender then you cannot restructure the contract before July 15. If he does sign it, then you can restructure at any point. Perhaps this is what is being referred to.

I am not sure if Albert signed his.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:27 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

He did in fact sign the tender

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

EXCELLENT write up Rich and as always backing up your thoughts with pointed facts.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich, how would trading for Albert now, and then after seeing him play a little before signing him to an extension mid-season work out? Would that be the same as working out the long term deal before the season starts? Would it be like signing him after the season is over? Or is it altogether something different in terms of how it affects the cap?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:07 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

My understanding is that as long as the deal gets done during the season, it's kosher. But I don't know a lot about the cap, so I could be off-base there. If I am, please correct me Rich (or someone else)

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Rich, how would trading for Albert now, and then after seeing him play a little before signing him to an extension mid-season work out? Would that be the same as working out the long term deal before the season starts? Would it be like signing him after the season is over? Or is it altogether something different in terms of how it affects the cap?

He would count as $9.8m against the cap until a new deal is done.
Depending upon when a deal is done, he may count $9.8 this season anyway.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

did he say Tom Brady would be fine without a great offensive line? LOL . Ya right! That guy has the perfect everything at his disposal. Soon as you get some pressure on him he folds.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:38 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Very nice write up Rich. It would be very interesting to see if the Phins actually do pull off a trade with Bess, considering that Austin may be sitting there at pick 12 could be very tempting. Also looking at how the front office have been crunching the numbers with the free agents we brought in, I'm guessing that they will try to get Albert to restructure.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:16 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

ive said this before . i dont bealive albert is that good for that trade. the phins should not make that trade. thats what i think sorry.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:33 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

pepperfoot wrote:
ive said this before . i dont bealive albert is that good for that trade. the phins should not make that trade. thats what i think sorry.

Welcome to this site.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]