View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Salguero Notes 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Salguero Notes
He had some of this in a column as well. He is refuting the idea that a trade up will happen based on Miami not really loving any players outside of a few elites (Joeckel, Fisher, and I believe Milliner). Instead he hints more at Miami moving down.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:51 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Salguero Notes
My top 2 intriguing 1st round options a few weeks ago was trading up for Dee Milliner or drafting Tavon Austin at 12. I am really crossing my fingers that we find ourselves in some minimal trade down situation that will allow us to gain a 3rd round pick, and still draft Tyler Eifert.

I heard the Bengals are in the market for Kenny Vaccaro, and would be interested in trading with us. Although Chicago added Bennet at tight end, I still see various mocks with them still drafting Eifert. Can someone tell me otherwise? The Bears have a pick in front of the Bengals, so it could potentially become a very dangerous trade if it materialized.

Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:02 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Just a few other notes from the beat guys:

Volin also states that Jerry showed up in much better shape, probably weighing in around 350ish.

O Kelly saying that Olivier Vernon not only showed up with added muscle and size but that he has been training hard at the Dolphins facility since January. Maybe more noteworthy is he states that Ireland really likes Vernon.

We all know OT and DE have been highly discussed as early picks of need. These two guys, plus Martin, having a lightbulb go off and working hard to address their issues allows Miami to draft for value rather than need.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:03 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

I trust Mando. If he says they're not moving up, then they're not moving up.

Although I wouldn't mind moving up for Milliner in he fell to Cleveland. I love him. Him and Dion Jordan would be the 2 guys I'd be willing to part ways with a 2nd round pick for.

I've had a hard time believing that they're really serious about moving up for Lane Johnson (mostly because I don't want them to)...But I'm also not a huge fan of moving down.

I say stay at 12 and grab Eifert, unless you're SURE you can get him a few picks later, and there's a deal in place. But finding a trade partner where you'll get good value to move down will be difficult.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:07 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
My top 2 intriguing 1st round options a few weeks ago was trading up for Dee Milliner or drafting Tavon Austin at 12. I am really crossing my fingers that we find ourselves in some minimal trade down situation that will allow us to gain a 3rd round pick, and still draft Tyler Eifert.

I heard the Bengals are in the market for Kenny Vaccaro, and would be interested in trading with us. Although Chicago added Bennet at tight end, I still see various mocks with them still drafting Eifert. Can someone tell me otherwise? The Bears have a pick in front of the Bengals, so it could potentially become a very dangerous trade if it materialized.

I've heard several "analysts/experts" saying Eifert won't make it past the Giants and Vaccaro might not make it past the Rams first pick. The Bears make a lot of sense for Eifert (think Gronk/Hernandez duo with Bennett).

Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:12 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Why the Bears want two tight ends that are always hurt too?

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:35 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I really think next Friday night is going to be crazy.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

we already have Star Lotuleli on the roster. His name is Paul Soliei. Only Soliei is better.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:39 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:
we already have Star Lotuleli on the roster. His name is Paul Soliei. Only Soliei is better.

And considerably more expensive, not to mention getting to that age where 340+ lbs players begin to break down.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:49 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

And considerably more expensive, not to mention getting to that age where 340+ lbs players begin to break down.

Correct. With Starks and Soliai pushing 30 and getting expensive Miami could consider Odrick and Lotulelei (however the hell you spell it) as their younger replacements. Sounds as if Star is like Wilfork in that he can play all over the line. I don't think he makes it past the Raiders or Philadelphia.

I'm starting to really like the idea of Eifert instead of just being okay with it.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:59 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:
I trust Mando. If he says they're not moving up, then they're not moving up.

Although I wouldn't mind moving up for Milliner in he fell to Cleveland. I love him. Him and Dion Jordan would be the 2 guys I'd be willing to part ways with a 2nd round pick for.

I've had a hard time believing that they're really serious about moving up for Lane Johnson (mostly because I don't want them to)...But I'm also not a huge fan of moving down.

I say stay at 12 and grab Eifert, unless you're SURE you can get him a few picks later, and there's a deal in place. But finding a trade partner where you'll get good value to move down will be difficult.

Good Lord, when since has Salguero been THE inside source for what Miami will do. I tend to agree with what he is stating, but let not treat his words like they are the gospel.

As far as trading down, no one knew about the Chargers interest in Ryan Matthews until they made the move with the Dolphins a few years ago.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:03 pm

Tony, it was well known SD was wanting to move up with Miami. The Dolphins were supposedly talking with Philly and SD prior to the draft. Peter King predicted the trade and draft pick in his mock draft.

I don't agree with Mando's opinions a lot. But when he says something from inside sources, he's got the goods. Probably the best beat guy we have right now in terms of getting inside info.

Don't be bitter because he says Miami doesn't like Xavier Rhodes;).

Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:09 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:
Tony, it was well known SD was wanting to move up with Miami. The Dolphins were supposedly talking with Philly and SD prior to the draft. Peter King predicted the trade and draft pick in his mock draft.

I don't agree with Mando's opinions a lot. But when he says something from inside sources, he's got the goods. Probably the best beat guy we have right now in terms of getting inside info.

Yeah, it not like the Dolphins would not use Salguero to put out, wait for it, A SMOKESCREEN.

As Alexander O'neil said, It's Lying Season.

And stop HATIN on Xavier Rhodes, Mr. Clay Matthews Jr. and JPP were going to be bust.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
The Dolphins were supposedly talking with Philly and SD prior to the draft. Peter King predicted the trade and draft pick in his mock draft.

Most teams have conversations pre-draft. It's to prepare. 98% of it doesn't happen.

Another question is: who initiated the conversation? Maybe the call was:
Philly GM: You interested in trading up?
Ireland: No

Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:38 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Yeah, it not like the Dolphins would not use Salguero to put out, wait for it, A SMOKESCREEN.

As Alexander O'neil said, It's Lying Season.

And stop HATIN on Xavier Rhodes, Mr. Clay Matthews Jr. and JPP were going to be bust.

I agree Tony, even the Albert trade talk could all be floated out there. All the rumors are starting this week for all the teams.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:33 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Just a few other notes from the beat guys:

Volin also states that Jerry showed up in much better shape, probably weighing in around 350ish.

O Kelly saying that Olivier Vernon not only showed up with added muscle and size but that he has been training hard at the Dolphins facility since January. Maybe more noteworthy is he states that Ireland really likes Vernon.

We all know OT and DE have been highly discussed as early picks of need. These two guys, plus Martin, having a lightbulb go off and working hard to address their issues allows Miami to draft for value rather than need.

Jerry is going to have a full-blown battle on his hands this year. Lance Louis is a very athletic pulling guard that could easily unseat him if he doesn't step his game up and cut some weight.

Vernon is a guy who I think deserves more playing time. If he is able to break out and steal more playing time away from Odrick, then I think that could help take some pressure off of Wake.

In fact, the entire 2012 draft class has a lot to prove. This year all of them are expected to step into much bigger roles. Tannehill is going to have to step up his game and try to lead this team to the playoffs. Martin might have to take over the left tackle job full-time if we can't get someone else to play left tackle. Miller is going to go from the bench to being the feature back. Vernon is going to be asked to be more than just a situational passrusher and special teamer. Egnew is going to have to actually step up and earn playing time if he wants to make the team. Same goes for the rest of the draft class, they'll all need to bust their tails if they want to keep a roster spot. It's a big year for the 2012 draft class to say the least.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]