View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
 WK13 Mock Draft 1.0 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post WK13 Mock Draft 1.0
1st – Lane Johnson – OT – Oklahoma
2nd – Justin Hunter – WR – Tennessee
2nd – Johnthan Banks – CB – Mississippi State
3rd – David Amerson – CB – North Carolina State
3rd – Barrett Jones – OG/C – Alabama
4th – Brandon Jenkins – DE – Florida State
5th – Mike Gillislee – RB – Florida
5th – William Gholston – DE – Michigan State
7th – Levine Toilolo – TE – Stanford
7th – Jordan Rodgers – QB – Vanderbilt
UDFA – Mike James – RB – Miami

Jonhson - Huge upside in a zone blocking scheme. Elite pass protection skills. Needs time to build strength (similar to Martin). Would be able to start at left or right tackle depending on Martin's offseason progress. Has starting left tackle stuff.

Hunter - Big receiver with big play ability. Experienced in West Coast Offense as an X and Z receiver. Polished receiver with ability to win jump balls. Would give the Dolphins a great redzone target. The biggest question about this kid is can he recover the elite speed he once had? Perhaps the biggest upside of any receiver in the draft if he regains his speed. Could compete for playing time right away even in Miami's deep receiver group.

Banks - Big, physical, cornerback with plus ballskills. Excellent fit for a scheme that switches between press-man and zone, with zone being the dominant scheme. Gained a ton of experience playing against top competition in SEC as a four year starter. Questionable speed and could be exposed against elite speed if put "on an island". Could be elite in right situation. Could compete to start right away.

Amerson - Big corner with elite hands and ballhawk skills. Good fit for a zone scheme where he can freelance and make splash plays. Physical corner with ability to jar ball loose or step up in run support. Questionable backpedal and has a tendency to get beat as he is a bit of a gambler. Often is beaten by double moves. But has the potential to be elite if he can become more consistent. Could compete for playing time as a corner or free safety.

Jones - Very technical interior lineman with experience playing tackle, guard, and center. Very versatile lineman with high football IQ. Good ability to mirror speed rushers. Able to smoothly get to the second level. Has struggled at times with larger more powerful bullrushers. But has ability to re-anchor and hold his ground. Could compete right away for playing time at guard with Jerry and Louis. Or would make for an excellent backup to Pouncey.

Jenkins - Speed rusher with multiple moves to get to the quarterback. Excellent production at FSU. Was considered a 1st or 2nd round pick had he come out early last year. While he has great pass rush ability, and could play either OLB or DE depending on the scheme, he has questionable strength to hold up against the run. Might be seen as a situational pass-rusher at the next level. Could compete with either Koa Misi or Olivier Vernon for Miami.

Gillislee - Nice physical runner with great cutting ability. Very decisive and hits the hole with authority. Able to rip off long runs. Good pass protection skills. Would find playing time right away as a 3rd down back in a pass heavy offense. Downside is that he doesn't have elite size or speed for the position. But that doesn't mean he lacks size or speed either. Would be able to split carries with Miller this year.

Gholston - Big, intimidating player, with a nasty side. Physical defender that is strong against the run and is effective as a pass rusher, but not an elite pass rusher. Has elite size and strength, but not speed. Similar to Odrick he could be used either outside or inside in a 4-3. Could replace Odrick outside if the Dolphins decide to move Odrick inside permanently next year.

Toilolo - Massive tightend with great jumpball skills making him a weapon in the redzone. Good blocking skills, but not elite blocking skills. Effective in the intermediate and deep parts of the field. At the very least would make for a great redzone weapon for the Dolphins.

Rodgers - Younger brother of Aaron Rodgers. Has great athletic ability and can throw well on the move. Has good armstrength and deep ball skills, but at the same time isn't elite and has a tendency to float some passes. Needs to work on accuracy, mainly due to poor footwork. As with any late round quarterback, there are things you need to work on, but Rodgers has the physical tools to be an effective backup at the next level. I think he'd make great competition for Devlin this year, and quite possibly could take over for Moore behind Tannehill in the future.

James - Good build for the position. Solid runner that despite lacking elite tools could project to be a good backup with upside on special teams due to his good blocking skills. Petient runner that lets the holes open up, but has a tendency to tap-dance from time to time and his vision is questionable. Would be a good player to bring into camp and let compete for the 3rd/4th runningback spot.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: WK13 Mock Draft 1.0
So how are we going to get a player that is projected to go before we pick and still have all our other picks?

Do you believe Johnson is going to fall to us?

Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:47 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
So how are we going to get a player that is projected to go before we pick and still have all our other picks?

Do you believe Johnson is going to fall to us?

Long story short, yes. While it is completely possible that four tackles come off the board before we pick, it is also equally possible that only two come off the board. Here is the scenario I see playing out:
1- Sharrif Floyd
2 - Ezekiel Ansah
3 - Star Lotulelei
4 - Luke Joeckel
5 - Dee Milliner
6 - Dion Jordan
7 - Geno Smith
8 - Chance Warmack
9 - Barkevious Mingo
10 - Jonathan Cooper
11 - Eric Fisher
12 - Lane Johnson

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Since 1988 (Dave Cadigan, New York Jets No. 8 overall in 1988;Chris Naeole, New Orleans Saints No. 10 overall in 1997) only 2 guards have been taken in the top 10 of the NFL draft. Since 1936 only 25 guards have been taken in the top 10.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1598 ... -nfl-draft

I would be surprised if 2 guards were taken in the top 10 this year, but life is full of surprises.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Long story short, yes. While it is completely possible that four tackles come off the board before we pick, it is also equally possible that only two come off the board. Here is the scenario I see playing out:
1- Sharrif Floyd
2 - Ezekiel Ansah
3 - Star Lotulelei
4 - Luke Joeckel
5 - Dee Milliner
6 - Dion Jordan
7 - Geno Smith
8 - Chance Warmack
9 - Barkevious Mingo
10 - Jonathan Cooper
11 - Eric Fisher
12 - Lane Johnson

IF he falls, I'll have no problem taking him 12.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The Dolphins will not host Oklahoma LT Lane Johnson for a pre-draft visit.
It's not any more telling than if the Dolphins were hosting Johnson for a pre-draft visit, but perhaps an indication they're trying to downplay their interest after a host of reports linked them to the draft's No. 3 tackle. SI's Peter King believes there's no way Johnson will get past the Cardinals at No. 7, so the Dolphins will likely have to be willing to trade into the top five or six if Johnson's their target.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?rw=1

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Love the Justin Hunter pick.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:24 pm

wkloiber13 wrote:
Hunter - Big receiver with big play ability. Experienced in West Coast Offense as an X and Z receiver. Polished receiver with ability to win jump balls. Would give the Dolphins a great redzone target. The biggest question about this kid is can he recover the elite speed he once had? Perhaps the biggest upside of any receiver in the draft if he regains his speed. Could compete for playing time right away even in Miami's deep receiver group.

The biggest question is his hands. His hands betrayed him this past season and is one of the reasons he isn't a top 15 pick. Before his injury, he looked like a sure thing. After his injury, not so much.

Wouldn't mind him in the 2nd round at all, though.

Quote:
Banks - Big, physical, cornerback with plus ballskills. Excellent fit for a scheme that switches between press-man and zone, with zone being the dominant scheme. Gained a ton of experience playing against top competition in SEC as a four year starter. Questionable speed and could be exposed against elite speed if put "on an island". Could be elite in right situation. Could compete to start right away.

Amerson - Big corner with elite hands and ballhawk skills. Good fit for a zone scheme where he can freelance and make splash plays. Physical corner with ability to jar ball loose or step up in run support. Questionable backpedal and has a tendency to get beat as he is a bit of a gambler. Often is beaten by double moves. But has the potential to be elite if he can become more consistent. Could compete for playing time as a corner or free safety.

I don't know how I feel about us investing in TWO corners with questionable speed. Yes, I know the Dolphins run a zone scheme and they aren't going to ask their corners to run up and down the field with wide receivers, but there are still instances, even in zone coverage, in which corners are asked to cover deep portions of the field and they find themselves on an island because of the type of zone coverage being run (primaly cover 3 type zones).

Quote:
James - Good build for the position. Solid runner that despite lacking elite tools could project to be a good backup with upside on special teams due to his good blocking skills. Petient runner that lets the holes open up, but has a tendency to tap-dance from time to time and his vision is questionable. Would be a good player to bring into camp and let compete for the 3rd/4th runningback spot.

Love the U, but was never a fan of Mike James. He's a guy that falls forward and gains you 3 yards.

We need something a little more dynamic than that, even as a UDFA.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

The biggest question is his hands. His hands betrayed him this past season and is one of the reasons he isn't a top 15 pick. Before his injury, he looked like a sure thing. After his injury, not so much.

Wouldn't mind him in the 2nd round at all, though.

Quote:

I don't know how I feel about us investing in TWO corners with questionable speed. Yes, I know the Dolphins run a zone scheme and they aren't going to ask their corners to run up and down the field with wide receivers, but there are still instances, even in zone coverage, in which corners are asked to cover deep portions of the field and they find themselves on an island because of the type of zone coverage being run (primaly cover 3 type zones).

Quote:

Love the U, but was never a fan of Mike James. He's a guy that falls forward and gains you 3 yards.

We need something a little more dynamic than that, even as a UDFA.

You're right, when Hunter was asked to take on a more versatile role after his injury, he did have some drops (similar to what Wallace went through this year in Pittsburgh), although not a severe case of the drops. I think he provides us with excellent value in the 2nd, and would give Tannehill a great downfield threat that also excels in the redzone. He'd really give us value if Hartline's back acts up again.

With Banks and Amerson, Banks is the only one with questionable speed, but both players have shown good closing speed and an ability to break on the ball and make plays. Both guys know how to create splash plays, and both are experienced in zone systems. While I agree with you 100% Rich that these guys will need to develop their press-man skills at the next level. I believe that because of their natural size and strength, they should be able to develop those skills at the next level. I also like their abilities against the run. Both guys are downhill players that aren't afraid to mix it up and get involved against the run.

At the end of the day, I think Banks is someone who could start across from Grimes this season. Amerson is someone who I think has the potential to develop very quickly, and even compete for playing time this year, whether it be at corner or free safety. But because of his skills I think he has the potential to be a good corner at the next level.

As far as James goes, I simply want to keep the Dolphin / Hurricane connection going. That and I think he'd have a real shot to unseat Gray on the practice squad.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Marc Lillibridge ‏@NFL_Bridge
all 3 OTs could make a case to be No. 1 overall but when all is said and done...I think Lane Johnson will be best of group.
Retweeted by Omar Kelly

OmarKelly Confession: I want Lane Johnson on the Dolphins and if I were Jeff Ireland I'd be willing to give up a 2nd round pick for him.

OmarKelly RT @D4VE32: That's quite a confession-everything I've read from u was anti- trading up,anti-giving up picks» reconsidered. Change my vote

OmarKelly RT @DJGSlam: why are u so high on lane?» Cause he punks defensive linemen, and is a lean athlete

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=OmarKelly

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

What would you guys think of this scenario?
1st - Trade Back (Add Future 2nd Round Pick in 2014 Draft)
1st - Tyler Eifert - TE - Notre Dame
2nd - Cornellius Carradine - DE - Florida State
2nd - Johnthan Banks - CB - Mississippi State
3rd - Traded to Kansas City for Branden Albert - LOT
3rd - David Amerson - CB - North Carolina State
4th - Barrett Jones - OL - Alabama
5th - Mike Gillislee - RB - Florida
5th - William Gholston - DE/DT - Michigan State
7th - Kwame Geathers - DT - Georgia
7th - Jordan Rodgers - QB - Vanderbilt

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:07 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'd be happy with it

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Both of these mock drafts are great

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:18 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:
Marc Lillibridge ‏@NFL_Bridge
all 3 OTs could make a case to be No. 1 overall but when all is said and done...I think Lane Johnson will be best of group.
Retweeted by Omar Kelly

OmarKelly Confession: I want Lane Johnson on the Dolphins and if I were Jeff Ireland I'd be willing to give up a 2nd round pick for him.

OmarKelly RT @D4VE32: That's quite a confession-everything I've read from u was anti- trading up,anti-giving up picks» reconsidered. Change my vote

OmarKelly RT @DJGSlam: why are u so high on lane?» Cause he punks defensive linemen, and is a lean athlete

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=OmarKelly

agree with all of that. He's lean, mean and athletic. Great for Pass pro and awesome in run blocking.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:09 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:

I like the idea of stocking up on future picks.
I'd also be happy with trading away a late pick for a pick in next years draft one round higher. I'd do that every year

Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:57 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

degs wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

I like the idea of stocking up on future picks.
I'd also be happy with trading away a late pick for a pick in next years draft one round higher. I'd do that every year

It all depends on who is available. If Dee Milliner or one of the top three tackles is available, then I think you've got to take one of those guys. But the rest of the talent there probably isn't worth it and we'd be better off trading back.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:29 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

wkloiber13 wrote:

I like this group of kids, especially Carradine. A lot of buzz about him going late 1st round. Considering Barrett Jones injury history, mid to late round would be a good slot for him. Boy, you love you some David Amerson.....;)

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

I like this group of kids, especially Carradine. A lot of buzz about him going late 1st round. Considering Barrett Jones injury history, mid to late round would be a good slot for him. Boy, you love you some David Amerson.....;)

Amerson is a more physical version of Sean Smith, and he has way better hands. I think he's perfectly suited for our system considering our staff seemed to like Smith.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:59 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

You've been beating the drum for Amerson almost as much as I've been beating the drum for Armstead :)

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
You've been beating the drum for Amerson almost as much as I've been beating the drum for Armstead :)

I like Armstead as well, if he's there in the later part of the 2nd round, I wouldn't mind the Dolphins drafting him. He's got great potential if he can add some strength. About the only thing I question with a player like that is his ability to transition from the SWAC to the NFL. If he's struggling against bullrushers in the SWAC, what do you think the bigger, stronger, more athletic rushers in the NFL are going to do to him? It's a heck of a leap in competition to say the least. Not that he can't handle it, but I'm always skeptical of small school players. For me Armstead is a high risk medium reward player. If he pans out, great, we've got a right tackle. If not, Nate Garner is our starting right tackle this year and Tannehill might be running for his life. It's a pretty big gamble to take. So if we do take Armstead, our staff had better be pretty darn sure he's the real deal. That's the only reason I had us taking a tackle in the 1st round.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:35 am

wkloiber13 wrote:
I think he provides us with excellent value in the 2nd

I wouldn't have a problem with Hunter in the 2nd. I agree he'd be great value given his elite skillset.

Quote:
With Banks and Amerson, Banks is the only one with questionable speed

I know Amerson ran a 4.44 at the Combine, but in the NFL you don't play in a straight line.

He gets burned deep a lot, bites on double moves and has a subpar backpedal. So my concern with Amerson is more about covering speed than about his ability to run in a straight line.

Quote:
I agree with you 100% Rich that these guys will need to develop their press-man skills at the next level.

Thanks for agreeing with me, but I don't believe I ever said that.

Quote:
I also like their abilities against the run. Both guys are downhill players that aren't afraid to mix it up and get involved against the run.

Agree there, but still... the NFL has become a pass happy league. We need guys that can cover. We need versatility. Guys that can cover speed, guys that can cover size and guys that can cover quickness.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:57 am

wkloiber13 wrote:

I like the idea of trading for future picks.

We have 11 picks this season and as swerve pointed out, chances are we aren't keeping 11 rookies.

So why not get some more picks in the future?

Especially since in 2014 we have a lot of escalating contracts. We'll need the picks to keep recycling talent to keep the team on top.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:58 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

We have 11 picks this season and as swerve pointed out, chances are we aren't keeping 11 rookies.

Especially since in 2014 we have a lot of escalating contracts. We'll need the picks to keep recycling talent to keep the team on top.

I agree, lock down the four to five prospects you really want, and you think will have an impact. Then trade back, add picks, trade back, add picks, and so on.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:30 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Sounds good in theory, but this type of thinking has doomed NE and we don't have the best track record with draft picks.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:

Sounds good in theory, but this type of thinking has doomed NE and we don't have the best track record with draft picks.

I think Rich is talking about the idea that if you've already locked down four to five solid prospects, and you're sitting there in the 4th, 5th, or 6th round, and the board isn't looking too good, why not trade back for a future pick? For instance, why not trade a 5th this year for a 4th next year? Or trade a 7th this year for a 6th next year?
Look at what happened to our later round picks last year, some of them aren't even on the team anymore because they couldn't make the roster. When you have a situation like that, why would you use all 11 picks?
I agree with Rich. It's better to add picks for the future if possible.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Especially since in 2014 we have a lot of escalating contracts.

Exactly. Accumulate more "ammo" for next year, since we know we will have a tougher cap situation. Makes perfect sense, if the particular round lends itself to that kind of move.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:

I'd hate to be "doomed" like New England, who annually goes deep into the playoffs.

And I don't understand your point about the draft picks. If you don't believe we can do anything with them, then shouldn't we be better off trading them for future ones, in which we will receive a higher pick in exchange?

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

degs wrote:
Makchell wrote:

I'd hate to be "doomed" like New England, who annually goes deep into the playoffs.

And I don't understand your point about the draft picks. If you don't believe we can do anything with them, then shouldn't we be better off trading them for future ones, in which we will receive a higher pick in exchange?

I agree, if we've already got two 5th round picks, why not try to trade one of them for a future 4th? Heck, under the right circumstances I wouldn't even be opposed to trading one of our 3rd round picks for a future 2nd depending on who is still on the board.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]