View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Randy Starks a no-show for offseason program 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Randy Starks a no-show for offseason program
Quote:
Randy Starks a no-show for offseason program

Dolphins DT Randy Starks was a no-show as the team convened for its offseason conditioning program on Monday.

Starks signed his one-year, $8.5 million franchise tender two weeks after it was assigned in March, so he's under contract and protected with a guaranteed salary. The offseason conditioning program is voluntary, though, so Starks doesn't have to be in attendance. He should be all systems go by training camp.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51546684/ ... ayer_news/

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Randy Starks a no-show for offseason program
Wow...just wow. He's been off for 3-4 months. Get to work and show your team, younger guys how it's done or in his case, how it's not done.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:50 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I thought with all the new players, everyone would be eager to start working. I thought they would all be excited.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

You would think he would be eager to prove he is worth a fat new contract.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Every year every team has players who decide not to go to the voluntary workouts. I'm a little surprised to see that it's Starks given his situation, but I'm not worried at this point.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This is becoming a common theme for players who are franchise tagged and want a long term contract. Sit out OTAs to prove a point, then when camp hits you show up ready to go.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:29 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

He probably thinks that the Dolphins cost him money.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:04 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

It's possible that the Dolphins are working on a long term contract with him and he doesn't want to jeopardize that by getting hurt. Or he could be harboring some ill-will that they couldn't get a contract hammered out. I'm sure we'll know soon.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:36 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:
Wow...just wow. He's been off for 3-4 months. Get to work and show your team, younger guys how it's done or in his case, how it's not done.

Mak, if you wanted a long term contract and got slapped with a franchise tag, you'd do the same thing.

The team isn't showing him any loyalty, so why is he obligated to show them any?

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:30 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
It's possible that the Dolphins are working on a long term contract with him and he doesn't want to jeopardize that by getting hurt. Or he could be harboring some ill-will that they couldn't get a contract hammered out. I'm sure we'll know soon.

This may be a good thing......Forcing a longer term deal would not only benefit the team but also Starks.

Franchise tags sure do seem to create hard feeling though.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:36 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Mak, if you wanted a long term contract and got slapped with a franchise tag, you'd do the same thing.

The team isn't showing him any loyalty, so why is he obligated to show them any?

This is probably nitpicking, but he got 8.5 million guaranteed. Even if Miami gave him a 4 year deal how much guaranteed money would have been included? A couple million more? Which he probably could get in small deals over the next few years.

Outside of a few rare exceptions, doesn't sound like a lot guaranteed money was being tossed around. I don't know much about NFL contracts but the one thing I learned this offseason was that guaranteed money is the only thing that seems to matter. Unless I'm very wrong about how much Starks could have received (15-20 million) it doesn't sound like he got hosed.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:46 am

I hear ya RIch, but I would be there. That's not how I am. I have heart. I would also show up and work my butt off to show the team that I DESERVE a longterm deal, not entitled to it. ALso, 8.5mil for a yr isn't that bad of a deal. If I get hurt, it's still like winning the lotto! lol I would be set.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:51 am

jammer wrote:
This is probably nitpicking, but he got 8.5 million guaranteed. Even if Miami gave him a 4 year deal how much guaranteed money would have been included? A couple million more? Which he probably could get in small deals over the next few years.

The reason players hate franchise tags is because they know that there isn't a long-term commitment there from the team. They feel like a mercenary rather than part of the team. If they are a player for hire, why show up to a VOLUNTARY camp?

Remember something, these players have a 5-10 year window where they make good money and then their careers are over. They have to maximize this time in their lives because there is no guarantee they'll be fine once their career is over.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:12 am

Makchell wrote:
I hear ya RIch, but I would be there. That's not how I am. I have heart. I would also show up and work my butt off to show the team that I DESERVE a longterm deal, not entitled to it. ALso, 8.5mil for a yr isn't that bad of a deal. If I get hurt, it's still like winning the lotto! lol I would be set.

Randy Starks has been here, proving for the past few seasons that he deserves a long-term deal by being one of the best defensive players we have. Why would he need to show up to an optional strength and conditioning program to do so?

He also knows this may be his last opportunity, given his age, to improve his future financially. I'm sure he has a family to take care of. I'm sure you do as well and given that, I am sure you would take them into consideration before running out there on a one year deal when the team can work with you on a long-term deal.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:18 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

The reason players hate franchise tags is because they know that there isn't a long-term commitment there from the team. They feel like a mercenary rather than part of the team. If they are a player for hire, why show up to a VOLUNTARY camp?

Remember something, these players have a 5-10 year window where they make good money and then their careers are over. They have to maximize this time in their lives because there is no guarantee they'll be fine once their career is over.

I get the symbolic nature of the long term deal. I'm just saying that money wise I don't think he was hurt too much by the franchise tag. And yes, the key word is voluntary so he doesn't have to be there.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:23 am
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

at this point it is a non-issue for me. they guy is a vet and knows what he needs to do to get himself ready for training camp. he is probably also trying to get himself a long term deal, more than likely the last for his NFL career?

unless he comes to camp out of shape he should be fine missing some voluntary work.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:25 am

I am sure you would take them into consideration before running out there on a one year deal when the team can work with you on a long-term deal.

It would take Michelle and I about 65 years to make 8.5 mil. I'm sure his family will be fine. Sure, I would want a long-term deal, but if I'm his age and done after this year, I'm sitting pretty with 8.5 mil and whatever else I've made during my career. Maybe MIA doesn't want him longterm cause of his age, so he needs to be a leader and show up. Again, remember, 8.5 mil.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:27 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

On February 29, 2008, Starks signed a five-year, $21 million contract with $7 million guaranteed with Miami. Now he is getting $8.45 million more.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:31 am

On February 29, 2008, Starks signed a five-year, $21 million contract with $7 million guaranteed with Miami. Now he is getting $8.45 million more.

ANd he's been off for 3 months. No matter what the problem is, he should be at camp with his team working out, no excuses. He's been paid very well.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:35 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Everyone has a different approach, but I tend to agree Mak, it is hard to see guys not show up, but I understand it is voluntary and who knows if he may have had something personal to attend and will be there today, but I hears ya. If you are smart with your money his last 21 million should have set him up already and now add a guaranteed $8.45 million more and I am also old school and this is your job voluntary or not you just had a few months off. I won't lose sleep over it, but anytime you see as much team unity as possible, the better IMO.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:40 am

Makchell wrote:
I am sure you would take them into consideration before running out there on a one year deal when the team can work with you on a long-term deal.

It would take Michelle and I about 65 years to make 8.5 mil. I'm sure his family will be fine. Sure, I would want a long-term deal, but if I'm his age and done after this year, I'm sitting pretty with 8.5 mil and whatever else I've made during my career. Maybe MIA doesn't want him longterm cause of his age, so he needs to be a leader and show up. Again, remember, 8.5 mil.

Everyone talks about the money these guys have made, but if you were in their shoes, you'd still be doing what is BEST for you. Just because its a heck of a lot more money than you or I make doesn't mean they should all of a sudden be willing to give up more.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:50 am
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Makchell wrote:

LOL....I know right, Puts it into perspective. The poor millionaire.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:34 pm

swerve13 wrote:
LOL....I know right, Puts it into perspective. The poor millionaire.

Always easy to criticize the millionaires when you aren't one of them...

But all you guys who complain about these guys being greedy, holding out for bigger contracts etc would do the same if you were in their position.

After all, they play to get paid and so would you.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:13 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

If my boss told me next week is voluntary, I am not going to work....

You great role models can go in and work, I will be at the tiki bar....

Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:16 pm

10acjed wrote:

What if your boss told you that next week is voluntary, but you'd get an $8 million bonus?

Thanks for being a straight shooter.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:23 pm
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ

I dont know. Maybe its just me but if I sign something I am all in 100%. When we can praise guys for taking less or playing out their contract and betting on themselves we can also jeer them for things like this. Maybe he is still stuck in traffic. Im all for giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:45 pm

FINesse wrote:
I dont know. Maybe its just me but if I sign something I am all in 100%.

It's a little different when you've been franchise tagged....

Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:46 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This is Soliai's last year in his current contract and the Fins want to franchise Starks for a year. Sitting out may make the Dolphins invest a high pick this year on a DT. One thing going for Starks is that he is one of the better pass rushing DTs in the NFL.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
FINesse wrote:
I dont know. Maybe its just me but if I sign something I am all in 100%.

It's a little different when you've been franchise tagged....

You don't really have a choice when you get the franchise...Are the Dolphins commenting on this at all?

Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:04 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
This is Soliai's last year in his current contract and the Fins want to franchise Starks for a year. Sitting out may make the Dolphins invest a high pick this year on a DT. One thing going for Starks is that he is one of the better pass rushing DTs in the NFL.

I threw that out a couple days ago...Sharriff floyd?

Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:08 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:
10acjed wrote:

What if your boss told you that next week is voluntary, but you'd get an $8 million bonus?

Thanks for being a straight shooter.

That is not a bonus, that is what they chose to pay him instead of giving him a contract...

Guys like Wallace get a 50k bonus for showing up on top of salary... Most contract players get "workout bonus" in the contract, miss "voluntary" workouts, loose workout bonus...

Dont think they are all "team players" because they showed up... Most are trying to keep a job, the rest are paid...

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:00 pm

But all you guys who complain about these guys being greedy, holding out for bigger contracts etc would do the same if you were in their position.

No I wouldn't, I would be there. There was a voluntary "community service" project in the Airforce and I showed up, no bonus, no extra anything and I was getting paid crap. I went because the rest of my "Airmen team" was there...it's called heart, pride. Whatever.

Maybe he is still stuck in traffic. Im all for giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Hey maybe Starks had a valid reason, but if I had to bet, I would say he just didn't want to show up.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:29 pm

Big Dave wrote:

the more I think about it Dave the more I think they could take one fairly high because it's such a strong draft for defensive tackles. A great one could slip.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:26 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:

Hey maybe Starks had a valid reason, but if I had to bet, I would say he just didn't want to show up.

His agent flat out said he will not be at any voluntary team activities unless he has a contract.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:26 am
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ

So what is the point of the franchise tag? Wasnt this agreed upon by the players in a contract negotiation??
Just to be sure he is getting paid 8.45 million dollars this season after getting paid 21 million dollars over the course of his previous contract?
I do not blame him for wanting a long term deal but if it is all about the money shouldnt he be set??

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:38 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

FINesse wrote:
So what is the point of the franchise tag? Wasnt this agreed upon by the players in a contract negotiation??
Just to be sure he is getting paid 8.45 million dollars this season after getting paid 21 million dollars over the course of his previous contract?
I do not blame him for wanting a long term deal but if it is all about the money shouldnt he be set??

Franchise players are at risk, if he is injured now he is a FA next year, and FA's with injury's are not hot items in the NFL...

If he is injured and can not play again he gets 8 mil for the rest of his life....

Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:09 am

FINesse wrote:
So what is the point of the franchise tag?

It was designed so that teams could keep star players rather than risk losing them in free agency. It is not to the benefit of the player.

Quote:

Players tend to get offended at the franchise tag because they feel it shows a lack of loyalty from the team.

It's funny, people are OK when the team makes a "business decision" to let a player go, but those same people expect players to be loyal to the very team that would let them go in a heartbeat.

Let's at least try to have a shred of consistency here....

Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:44 am

Makchell wrote:
No I wouldn't, I would be there. There was a voluntary "community service" project in the Airforce and I showed up, no bonus, no extra anything and I was getting paid crap. I went because the rest of my "Airmen team" was there...it's called heart, pride. Whatever.

Apples to oranges. You don't risk a career threatening in jury at a community service project...

Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:46 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:
Players tend to get offended at the franchise tag because they feel it shows a lack of loyalty from the team.

It's funny, people are OK when the team makes a "business decision" to let a player go, but those same people expect players to be loyal to the very team that would let them go in a heartbeat.

Let's at least try to have a shred of consistency here....

I tend to take it on a player to player basis myself. With Starks he has openly said he wants to stay here, and is willing to take less money than he could get in FA.
He is not holding out, his agent said he will be at mandatory team activities. He is just not participating now as a way to show he is not happy with the tag....

My theory is that the Dolphins have little intent on keeping him long term, right now they have him for a year and while the price seems steep, its a lot cheaper than 15 - 20 mil in gar money.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:44 am

10acjed wrote:
My theory is that the Dolphins have little intent on keeping him long term, right now they have him for a year and while the price seems steep, its a lot cheaper than 15 - 20 mil in gar money.

That is correct. They know he is up there in age and while it would open up cap space this season, they aren't ready to commit, which is a wise business decision on their part.

So he has every right to not go to a voluntary workout if the team is showing him they aren't willing to commit.

It's a two sided coin.

He's been a good player for this team, he's been consistent, he has already shown his loyalty. It is OK for him to expect some loyalty back.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next