View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Interesting piece from the Finsiders on Jonathan Martin 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Interesting piece from the Finsiders on Jonathan Martin
They have comments from former All Pro Keith Sims and he give some very insightful comments on Martin. It's definitely a good read.

Analyzing Jonathan Martin As A Left Tackle
By Sean Logan on April 7, 2013 at 11:19 am

MartinThe Dolphins depth chart is coming into focus a bit as the late free agency period bleeds into the lead up to this month’s draft.

The offensive line picture remains murky, however, as the team shuffles things around heading into the 2013 season.

Newly signed guard Lance Louis, if he can come back from an ACL tear, may push John Jerry for playing time; Jerry could, potentially, play outside; Nate Garner and Will Yeatman will have to-be-determined roles; most importantly, though, will be Jonathan Martin‘s expected transition to left tackle.

Joe Philbin wouldn’t commit to Martin at left tackle last month at the NFL owners meetings — the roster could be different by the time practices start, he said — but, after a four-game dry run, Martin is certainly the most likely candidate currently on the roster.

Former Dolphins Pro Bowl guard and current Finsiders analyst Keith Sims thinks Martin’s NFL home is on the left side.

“I like Jonathan Martin as a long-term answer at left tackle, seeing him play last year all 16 games, started 12, I believe, at right and four at left tackle,” Sims said. “He was much more comfortable. Things came so much more naturally, it was fluid for him. He worked hard last year to be a right tackle and he was a decent right tackle. I think his body type and his athleticism is more geared to be that left tackle.”

During his rookie season, Martin was as advertised, an athletic, intelligent player that adjusted nicely to playing, perhaps, slightly out of position on the right side of the Dolphins’ offensive line. He was a left tackle at Stanford, protecting Andrew Luck‘s blindside, though he was projected as a candidate to play either spot during last year’s pre-draft process.

So, with Jake Long injuring his triceps late in the 2012 season, Martin got a shot to swing back over to the left side, starting the final four games at left tackle. Some will likely go as far as saying it was a job interview, especially with the eventual departure of Long. Regardless, Martin entered the offseason looking to bulk up a bit. Asked what we was looking to work on during his “exit interview” with The Finsiders, a day after the team’s season-ending 28-0 loss in New England, Martin’s response was quick and direct: get stronger.

Sims agrees, but not at the expense of losing a step.

“Does he need to get stronger? Absolutely,” Sims said. “But he was definitely more fluid in his pass sets on the left side. His frame and his athleticism bode well in what the Dolphins want to do in the zone-blocking scheme. You don’t have to be the big, hulking guy. You’ve got to have good feet and be able to move and get to the second level, and Jonathan Martin can do that from the left side.”

In the months to come Joe Philbin — a former offensive line coach, most recently with Green Bay — and offensive line coach Jim Turner will work to find the right five-man combo. Position notwithstanding, Philbin says that Martin’s strength isn’t a big concern, though he wouldn’t be opposed to the second-year tackle adding some muscle.

“I think he’s strong enough, but, our hope too is that, because of his age, there’s still room for further growth and development,” Philbin said. ”I think he’s demonstrated, there’s enough film clips of him doing it right, doing it well, doing it consistently that you think he has enough strength.”

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:52 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Re: Interesting piece from the Finsiders on Jonathan Martin
He's got some work to do, but he protected Andrew Luck's blind side for years. That's why I was happy with this pick. It's as if the coaching staff could anticipate the Jake Long situation.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:21 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Good post.............I've said this before, but if Martin is not our LT, then he's probably not our RT either. The team needs to decide if the guy is a long-term answer at LT. If the answer is yes, then we don't need to spend a high draft pick at LT. If the answer is uncertain, then moving up to get Lane Johnson makes sense. He can play LT or RT.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:32 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Nice post on Martin, but I am still nervous as heck if Miami ends up settling into the season relying on him to protect Tannehill.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:55 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Finhead34 wrote:
Nice post on Martin, but I am still nervous as heck if Miami ends up settling into the season relying on him to protect Tannehill.

I hear you Fin. The thing that makes me feel better were comments made by Keith Sims, as no one knows OL play better than Keith. Coach Philbin also made a comment that caught my attention as well. This is the statement below.

“I think he’s strong enough, but, our hope too is that, because of his age, there’s still room for further growth and development,” Philbin said. ”I think he’s demonstrated, there’s enough film clips of him doing it right, doing it well, doing it consistently that you think he has enough strength.”

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:08 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TommyNoleFin wrote:
He's got some work to do, but he protected Andrew Luck's blind side for years. That's why I was happy with this pick. It's as if the coaching staff could anticipate the Jake Long situation.

Longs situation was hardly a surprise

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:42 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

shularino wrote:
Good post.............I've said this before, but if Martin is not our LT, then he's probably not our RT either. The team needs to decide if the guy is a long-term answer at LT. If the answer is yes, then we don't need to spend a high draft pick at LT. If the answer is uncertain, then moving up to get Lane Johnson makes sense. He can play LT or RT.

If he can play either position, then why couldn't he be our RT if he is not our LT?

Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:35 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

I hear you Fin. The thing that makes me feel better were comments made by Keith Sims, as no one knows OL play better than Keith. Coach Philbin also made a comment that caught my attention as well. This is the statement below.

Tone, take what is said by anyone on Finsiders with a grain of salt. They are a mouthpiece for the Dolphins. Kinda like an Andy Kent blog.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
shularino wrote:

If he can play either position, then why couldn't he be our RT if he is not our LT?

I saw that too...And then what if we traded for Albert who is a RT.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:48 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Rich wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

Tone, take what is said by anyone on Finsiders with a grain of salt. They are a mouthpiece for the Dolphins. Kinda like an Andy Kent blog.

I understand what you are saying Rich. Keith Sims did play the game though, so while he works for the Dolphins, I also think he knows what he is talking about when it comes to OL play.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:34 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I saw that too...And then what if we traded for Albert who is a RT.

Kev, Albert is actually a Left tackle being asked to play Right Tackle for the Chiefs, which he is supposedly balking at.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TommyNoleFin wrote:

I agree, I think had he stayed in school another year he would have been a 1st round pick this year. I'd put him behind the big three and in front of Fluker and Watson.

I think now that he's a pro, and he'll have a full offseason to work on his flaws and prepare with the mindset of a left tackle, I fully expect to see big improvements from Martin in 2013. While he did have his struggles, I think that what ails his game are things that can be easily fixed and improved this offseason.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:20 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
I understand what you are saying Rich. Keith Sims did play the game though, so while he works for the Dolphins, I also think he knows what he is talking about when it comes to OL play.

Yes, he played the game. But I listen to these guys on the way home from work, they have Sam Madison on there as well.

According to them, everyone on the Dolphins knows exactly what they are doing, every player is working his butt off and getting better, and everything is fine.

When you listen to that show, you'd think we just went undefeated last year.

He can know the game all he wants, but he's a mouthpiece.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:12 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
shularino wrote:

He's best suited to play LT..............

“I like Jonathan Martin as a long-term answer at left tackle, seeing him play last year all 16 games, started 12, I believe, at right and four at left tackle,” Sims said. “He was much more comfortable. Things came so much more naturally, it was fluid for him. He worked hard last year to be a right tackle and he was a decent right tackle. I think his body type and his athleticism is more geared to be that left tackle.”

From David Hyde earlier this year............

"One Dolphins official said he (Martin) started as a ‘D’ and upgraded to a ‘C’ at right tackle and was a ‘B’ his first day at left tackle.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:41 am

shularino wrote:
He's best suited to play LT..............

A player that can play LT, can usually move over to RT. Not so much the other way around. You're typically facing the team's best athlete when you line up at LT. If you look at alot the scouting reports for tackle prospects coming out of the draft, they may say the player can play both positions. The lower you go in the draft, the more they are questioning whether the player can play LT, but would probably be a fit at RT or even OG.

Quote:

Like I said, take what Sims said with a grain of salt. He's paid by the Dolphins to do a Pro-Dolphins radio show.

Quote:
From David Hyde earlier this year............

"One Dolphins official said he (Martin) started as a ‘D’ and upgraded to a ‘C’ at right tackle and was a ‘B’ his first day at left tackle.

His first game starting at left tackle was against San Francisco. According to PFF, that was his poorest grade of the season (-5.2). He allowed 1 sack and 4 QB hurries in that game. 36% of the QB hurries, 50% of the QB hits and 33% of the sacks he allowed came at left tackle despite 25% of his starts and 24.6% of his snaps coming there.

So the numbers don't show him improving at left tackle. I will say, the only game he had a positive grade in came at left tackle against the Bills. However, their top two pass rushers were out and Martin was going up against a broken down Shawn Merriman.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm not positive he will make it at LT, but it seems his most natural position. He played there throughout college.........after Long's injury Philbin/Sherman elected to move and keep him there.

That SF game was a mess, but it was his first start at LT against arguably the best pass rushing team in the NFL.

If he's beat out in training camp at LT...........I don't see him automatically plugged back in at RT.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:20 am

shularino wrote:
after Long's injury Philbin/Sherman elected to move and keep him there.

They didn't have a choice.

Quote:
If he's beat out in training camp at LT...........I don't see him automatically plugged back in at RT.

If they draft an LT, he goes to RT. If they draft a RT, he goes to LT.

There isn't really going to be a competition, unless someone really blows him out of the water.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
NFL Network's Albert Breer notes the Dolphins believe Jonathan Martin gives them flexibility to go LT or RT during the draft.
Martin moved to left tackle after Jake Long's injury, but we worry about his long term success at either position. However, if the Dolphins' decision makers are optimistic that he can hold up on the left side, it is unlikely they will trade up for one of the top three tackles.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:15 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
NFL Network's Albert Breer notes the Dolphins believe Jonathan Martin gives them flexibility to go LT or RT during the draft.
Martin moved to left tackle after Jake Long's injury, but we worry about his long term success at either position. However, if the Dolphins' decision makers are optimistic that he can hold up on the left side, it is unlikely they will trade up for one of the top three tackles.

That's the real question...........how much confidence does the organization have in Martin, particularly at LT. Unless they're anticipating significant improvement, it's quite possible we draft two tackles, including moving up in the first round.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:40 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

shularino wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

That's the real question...........how much confidence does the organization have in Martin, particularly at LT. Unless they're anticipating significant improvement, it's quite possible we draft two tackles, including moving up in the first round.

thats' why in my Mock I have us trading up for Johnson to play left tackle. I have us taking Brian Winters to play guard but he could also kick out to tackle if need be. And I also have us signing an undrafted tackle for backup. Covering all our bases and giving us a very complete offensive line.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]