View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Cordarrelle Patterson 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Cordarrelle Patterson
With all the talk of the Dolphins drafting WR Tavon Austin, what about WR Cordarrelle Patterson?

CB Desmonde Trufant is still my pick. I'm no draft guru, but there is something about this guy I really like.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:28 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Cordarrelle Patterson
I think the signing of Wallace and Hartline shot the Patterson idea down ultimately.

The reason for all the Austin talk is because he's a small, shifty, explosive fit for the slot position... a position we're anticipating will be empty with the trade / release of Bess.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:41 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
I think the signing of Wallace and Hartline shot the Patterson idea down ultimately.

The reason for all the Austin talk is because he's a small, shifty, explosive fit for the slot position... a position we're anticipating will be empty with the trade / release of Bess.

Considering that route running is not his strong suit its not that crazy to think Patterson could actually fill that short pass, explode up the field role.

I've read O Kelly say that Patterson's football IQ is going to hurt him in the draft process.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:49 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

jammer wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Considering that route running is not his strong suit its not that crazy to think Patterson could actually fill that short pass, explode up the field role.

I've read O Kelly say that Patterson's football IQ is going to hurt him in the draft process.

Who said that running short routes and running good routes are mutually exclusive of each other?

Running good routes is what makes Wes Welker the best slot receiver in football.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

rodneyfaile wrote:
With all the talk of the Dolphins drafting WR Tavon Austin, what about WR Cordarrelle Patterson?

CB Desmonde Trufant is still my pick. I'm no draft guru, but there is something about this guy I really like.

how about.....there's no chance they draft either

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:35 pm

Unless you're a part of the Dolphins front office there's absolutely some chance they could draft one of them.

There's a chance they could draft any of the 300 or so eligible players at this point....

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:40 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

swerve13 wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

I'm hoping they don't go WR at #12, they brought Hartline back and added Wallace and Gibson. No need to go WR that high anymore. The OL still needs to be addressed and is the biggest glaring need as well as the strength for the top portion of this draft.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

keebler_kahn wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

I'm hoping they don't go WR at #12, they brought Hartline back and added Wallace and Gibson. No need to go WR that high anymore. The OL still needs to be addressed and is the biggest glaring need as well as the strength for the top portion of this draft.

exactly, it's a mystery why everyone thinks we are going to draft a wide receiver first.
I wanted one a month ago but then they went bananas signing Hartline, Wallace and Gibson...along with Keller our offense is pretty darn complete.
A better guess would be low 2nd round, or more likely a 3rd round pick on a wide receiver.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:52 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

As has been mentioned, Cordarrelle is pretty raw as a receiver and Michael Irvin mentioned that if you need a receiver that can make adjustment and read coverages, Patterson is not your guy. If you are taking a guy at #12, you want him to be a contributor ASAP.

swerve, the Dolphins will have Tavon Austin down to Davie and I posted it in my blog with my mock draft. The Dolphins have interest.

Some folks will be upset if the Dolphins take Tavon like yourself, some will not. I like the kid and think he can be a major factor.

If the Dolphins go OL or CB, I will not be miffed. I have the Dolphins taking multiple cornerbacks.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm hoping they stay put and Lane Johnson is still there at 12. Or they sign Eric Winston in free agency, trade back, and draft either Jonathan Cooper or Chance Warmack. Then in the 2nd round go after Johnthan Banks and David Amerson.
Patterson is an interesting option if we decide to move Davone Bess and let Brandon Gibson and Rishad Matthews split time in the slot.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:07 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Who said that running short routes and running good routes are mutually exclusive of each other?

Running good routes is what makes Wes Welker the best slot receiver in football.

I will clarify a bit more. I picture Austin running a lot of quick slants and screens where his speed and playmaking ability will shine. Maybe a few go routes as well, but basically not having to learn all routes and be counted on to do too much. Based on the questions of his abilities to learn the playbook and read coverages while still having awesome raw ability, wouldn't it be possible for Patterson to fill that role too? Be a gimmick player and maybe grow into a bigger role?

That's what I was referring to, not trying to suggest all short routes can be mastered by everyone.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:43 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:

I will clarify a bit more. I picture Austin running a lot of quick slants and screens where his speed and playmaking ability will shine. Maybe a few go routes as well, but basically not having to learn all routes and be counted on to do too much. Based on the questions of his abilities to learn the playbook and read coverages while still having awesome raw ability, wouldn't it be possible for Patterson to fill that role too? Be a gimmick player and maybe grow into a bigger role?

That's what I was referring to, not trying to suggest all short routes can be mastered by everyone.

Id rather Justin Hunter way over Patterson

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:09 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

ag_fin_90 wrote:
jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:

Its not really that I think Miami needs another WR, its just that I'm wondering if Patterson can do what we think Austin will bring to the offense but with more size.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I would rather see Miami take TE Tyler Eifert over these choices.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:22 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Patterson is explosive but not as quick as Tavon or as versatile. Patterson is also very raw and at the #12 pick you cant take that chance because you can get really burnt. Hunter is 6'4 runs a 4.4 and in the SEC was elite at times. In the 2nd round why not take him so we cn have a redzone threat and a guy with the potential to be a huge threat

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
As has been mentioned, Cordarrelle is pretty raw as a receiver and Michael Irvin mentioned that if you need a receiver that can make adjustment and read coverages, Patterson is not your guy. If you are taking a guy at #12, you want him to be a contributor ASAP.

swerve, the Dolphins will have Tavon Austin down to Davie and I posted it in my blog with my mock draft. The Dolphins have interest.

Some folks will be upset if the Dolphins take Tavon like yourself, some will not. I like the kid and think he can be a major factor.

If the Dolphins go OL or CB, I will not be miffed. I have the Dolphins taking multiple cornerbacks.

here's the thing Tony, I will not be upset if we take Austin. I love the kid.
I just don't see it happening now. I don't make predictions on what I want necessarily.
I try to be as realistic as possible, even if I really want Tavon Austin.
Most Dolphin fans are mocking Tavon at 12 because it's wishful thinking. It's what they really want.
I predict what teams will do based on what they have and what they get in free agency.
Trying to see it through the team's eyes.
I just think there are players with much better odds at being drafted 12th by the Dolphins.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:21 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

ag_fin_90 wrote:
jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:

honestly taking Hunter in the 2nd round makes 'way' more sense than taking Austin or Patterson at 12. He's the big jump ball touchdown threat we currently lack.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:25 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

There is not question I like Tavon Austin swerve. But I have also taken the time to post information from the Miami Herald that the Dolphins will have Tavon in for a private visit as well. So how this cannot be taken as the Dolphins being interested is BEYOND me.

The Dolphins also scouted West Virginia in there bowl game against Syracuse last year as well.

They will also have Xavier Rhodes of Florida State in as well, but folks keep saying he is not a match for what Miami wants, so go figure.

Brandon McGee, Travis Kelce and Don Jones are all guys the Dolphins have shown interest in and fit what Miami is looking for.

We has another 3 plus weeks before the draft and my mock will change, but there are a few names that I think will stay, like Brandon McGee.

So Tavon may still be at #12, or it could be Xavier Rhodes on Desmond Trufant. In other words, I do try to put together my mocks in regards what I think Miami will do, not what I want or what certain fans want to see the team do.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:27 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:

I think Tom Brady had a lot to do with that too

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:34 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
There is not question I like Tavon Austin swerve. But I have also taken the time to post information from the Miami Herald that the Dolphins will have Tavon in for a private visit as well. So how this cannot be taken as the Dolphins being interested is BEYOND me.

The Dolphins also scouted West Virginia in there bowl game against Syracuse last year as well.

They will also have Xavier Rhodes of Florida State in as well, but folks keep saying he is not a match for what Miami wants, so go figure.

Brandon McGee, Travis Kelce and Don Jones are all guys the Dolphins have shown interest in and fit what Miami is looking for.

We has another 3 plus weeks before the draft and my mock will change, but there are a few names that I think will stay, like Brandon McGee.

I honestly haven't heard much about Dolphins interest in Austin. They have to do their due diligence on all of the top 20 players. The only thing I've read this week is that Salguero said it's doubtful Miami would take Austin. And he's more tuned in to the Dolphins than any of the national media (love him or hate him). I firmly believe Tavon would be a stretch for the Dolphins. If it happens I will do cartwheels Tony. After day 1 is over I hope the new Dolphin is any of these (Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, Austin, Ansah or Werner. Can't complain about any of them. And fingers crossed that it won't be a guard!

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:58 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:

I don't remember too many west coast offenses employing shifty slot receivers.
Bill Walsh's 49ers? nope!

Andy Reid's Eagles? nope!

Before they drafted Cobb Green Bay was scoring 40 touchdowns without a shifty slot guy.
They used Jordy, Jennings, Driver and Jones.
So not sure why we "MUST" replace Bess in this offense. They may just want to do away with him as he is not a fit.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:09 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ag_fin_90 wrote:
Patterson is explosive but not as quick as Tavon or as versatile. Patterson is also very raw and at the #12 pick you cant take that chance because you can get really burnt. Hunter is 6'4 runs a 4.4 and in the SEC was elite at times. In the 2nd round why not take him so we cn have a redzone threat and a guy with the potential to be a huge threat

I agree, if the Dolphins are hell bent on drafting another receiver, I think someone like Hunter from Tennessee or Williams from Baylor in the 2nd round would be a better options. Austin and Patterson are reaches at 12.
I'd rather see the Dolphins take Warmack or Cooper at 12 than Austin or Patterson. At least then we'll have a solid pulling guard.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:

I agree, if the Dolphins are hell bent on drafting another receiver, I think someone like Hunter from Tennessee or Williams from Baylor in the 2nd round would be a better options. Austin and Patterson are reaches at 12.
I'd rather see the Dolphins take Warmack or Cooper at 12 than Austin or Patterson. At least then we'll have a solid pulling guard.

While I like the idea. Will be surprised if either of them is still there.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:25 am

swerve13 wrote:

What's Desean Jackson?

A good portion of his catches come out of the slot and he has a comparable skillset to Tavon.

Also, even if it had never been done before, why is that an argument? Innovation is a part of the game.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:41 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

What's Desean Jackson?

A good portion of his catches come out of the slot and he has a comparable skillset to Tavon.

Also, even if it had never been done before, why is that an argument? Innovation is a part of the game.

Desean is pretty much known for the deep ball and returns.
His game isn't like Wes Welker or Davone Bess.
He'd get killed across the middle.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:19 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

What's Desean Jackson?

Desean is pretty much known for the deep ball and returns.
His game isn't like Wes Welker or Davone Bess.
He'd get killed across the middle.

Maybe you missed it in my post so I'll say it again.

A good portion of his catches come out of the slot.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Before Ireland's spending spree, early mock drafts often had Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson or West Virginia's Tavon Austin penciled in to Miami with the 12th overall pick in the 2013 NFL draft.

Even if slot receiver Davone Bess is traded or released, the depth chart at wideout doesn't necessitate early-round attention.

More likely, the Dolphins will concentrate on finding a pass rusher opposite Cameron Wake, or addressing cornerback with Alabama's Dee Milliner or Florida State's Xavier Rhodes. Don't be surprised, however, if the scouting department can't pass up Alabama's Chance Warmack or North Carolina's Jonathan Cooper, two elite guard prospects. The top three offensive tackles likely will be off the board at No. 12.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... at-wideout

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]