All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 1480
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Dolphins have signed DL Vaughn Martin.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9108256/vaughn-martin-agrees-sign-miami-dolphins

26 years old, 6'4", 300+ lbs.

We have a lot of depth on the DL right now.

_________________
Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jim Valvano


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:13 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Looks like a replacement for McDaniel. While I'd rather have seen us draft a guy, I understand why we went with a veteran. We have a ton of youth on the defensive line like Olivier Vernon, Derrick Shelby, Kheeston Randall, and Chas Alecxih. Martin looks like a veteran DT brought in to compete with and push the younger guys. So long as he's cheap and short term, I like this move.

Does anybody know much about this guy? Does he have any kind of special teams experience? It's always good to have plenty of quality special teamers.


Last edited by wkloiber13 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 25407
Location: Miami, FL
wkloiber13 wrote:
Looks like a replacement for McDaniel. While I'd rather have seen us draft a guy, I understand why we went with a veteran. We have a ton of youth on the defensive line like Olivier Vernon, Derrick Shelby, Kheeston Randall, and Chas Alecxih. Martin looks like a veteran DE brought in to compete with and push guys like Vernon and Shelby. So long as he's cheap and short term, I like this move.


At 327 lbs, he is not going to be competing with defensive ends, he is going to provide depth at defensive tackle.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:16 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Looks like a replacement for McDaniel. While I'd rather have seen us draft a guy, I understand why we went with a veteran. We have a ton of youth on the defensive line like Olivier Vernon, Derrick Shelby, Kheeston Randall, and Chas Alecxih. Martin looks like a veteran DE brought in to compete with and push guys like Vernon and Shelby. So long as he's cheap and short term, I like this move.


At 327 lbs, he is not going to be competing with defensive ends, he is going to provide depth at defensive tackle.


I just edited it when I realized that.

You're right, he's probably competition for Randall and Alecxih. Perhaps the staff isn't sold that Alecxih is ready to come off the practice squad. If that's the case they need someone else to play behind Starks and Soliai other than Randall.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 DRAFT GURU
2016 DRAFT GURU

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 5516
Location: Columbia, SC
Nice signing for a big body to add depth to the DL. Only 26 years old.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 12690
Location: Raleigh, NC
I think he'll do better in the middle of a 4-3 scheme.

Quote:
Martin, 27, graded out as Pro Football Focus' 33rd-rated 3-4 defensive end last year, among just 34 qualifiers. (That's second to last.) PFF considered him poor in run defense and pass rush, and Martin also committed four penalties in under 500 defensive snaps. In Miami, Martin will battle Chase Alecxih and Kheeston Randall to be the top backup behind Randy Starks and Paul Soliai.


http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51362012/ ... ayer_news/

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
Big Dave wrote:
I think he'll do better in the middle of a 4-3 scheme.


Because?

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:51 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 12690
Location: Raleigh, NC
Rock Sexton wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
I think he'll do better in the middle of a 4-3 scheme.


Because?


His size and speed look to be more equipped in the middle of a scheme that uses 4 defensive linemen. We won't know though until sometime in preseason.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:16 am 
Offline
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 5079
Big Dave wrote:
I think he'll do better in the middle of a 4-3 scheme.

Quote:
Martin, 27, graded out as Pro Football Focus' 33rd-rated 3-4 defensive end last year, among just 34 qualifiers. (That's second to last.) PFF considered him poor in run defense and pass rush, and Martin also committed four penalties in under 500 defensive snaps. In Miami, Martin will battle Chase Alecxih and Kheeston Randall to be the top backup behind Randy Starks and Paul Soliai.


http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51362012/ ... ayer_news/



Hmmm not sure why you would quote such a tainted article? ; )

I hope you are right about switching schemes.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 3726
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
wkloiber13 wrote:
Does anybody know much about this guy? Does he have any kind of special teams experience? It's always good to have plenty of quality special teamers.


Lol a 327 lbs guy on special teams?

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 5635
Location: Houston, Texas
Lol a 327 lbs guy on special teams?

Perhaps he meant blocking field goals?


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
Big Dave wrote:
His size and speed look to be more equipped in the middle of a scheme that uses 4 defensive linemen. We won't know though until sometime in preseason.


Since when do DT's have to be speedsters though? He's just a big body at this point.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:15 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Finhead34 wrote:
Lol a 327 lbs guy on special teams?

Perhaps he meant blocking field goals?


And jumbo packages near the goal line.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r