View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Second-Year WR Matthews Gaining Confidence 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Second-Year WR Matthews Gaining Confidence
Quote:
Andy Kent Dolphins.com @Andy_Kent

Despite showing flashes of brilliance during training camp as a rookie last season, Miami Dolphins wide receiver Rishard Matthews had to bide his time early on and earn his keep on special teams.

But when his number was finally called, the seventh-round pick out of Nevada didn’t waste his opportunity and found himself in the offensive huddle in six of the last seven games. Matthews ended the season with 11 catches for 151 yards for a 13.7 average and reeled in three passes of 20 yards or more. That valuable experience has the California native looking forward to this season and the possibilities it brings for him.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/artic ... 9050b10c53

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:38 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Second-Year WR Matthews Gaining Confidence
Still irks me that the best WR they found all year was the 7th round rookie.
This guy outplayed Johnson, Gaffeny, Armstrong and Binns....

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think Matthews will find it even more difficult to get on the field this year with all of our recent additions. I think he's going to be playing mostly special teams this year. If he does see the field, it will likely be because someone else got injured.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:59 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
I think Matthews will find it even more difficult to get on the field this year with all of our recent additions. I think he's going to be playing mostly special teams this year. If he does see the field, it will likely be because someone else got injured.

If he's improving in training camp, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a roster spot from Bess. From what I've heard around other forums (so take it with a grain of salt), we're possibly looking to either trade him or just flat out get rid of him.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:16 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
Still irks me that the best WR they found all year was the 7th round rookie.
This guy outplayed Johnson, Gaffeny, Armstrong and Binns....

Johnson was a waste of air...He should have never been invited to camp.

Binns was the best of the bunch

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:57 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Miami really will be improved at the receiver spot and add in a potential threat from the draft and us fans should be pretty happy with the targets Tannehill will be throwing to this year.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:09 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

If he's improving in training camp, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a roster spot from Bess. From what I've heard around other forums (so take it with a grain of salt), we're possibly looking to either trade him or just flat out get rid of him.

I could see Miami trading Bess if they find someone they like in the draft. Perhaps a draft day trade.

But the notion that Matthews will take Bess' spot is silly at this point. Bess is still in my opinion the 2nd or 3rd best receiver we've got.

The only way I see him leaving is if they decide to draft someone like Patterson and move Gibson into the slot, which is a possibility. A slim one, but still a possibility.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I still think Binns has a future with the team. Outside of 2 bad drops against the Pats I've read that he impressed the team last year. He has size and some speed, definitely an intriguing 4th receiver option.

Is he a future starter? Probably not, but maybe he plays his way into the 3rd receiver role as he develops.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I still think Binns has a future with the team. Outside of 2 bad drops against the Pats I've read that he impressed the team last year. He has size and some speed, definitely an intriguing 4th receiver option.

Is he a future starter? Probably not, but maybe he plays his way into the 3rd receiver role as he develops.

In all reality Binns is probably the 6th best receiver we have right now behind Wallace, Hartline, Bess, Gibson, and Matthews. Even if we traded away Bess, he'd have a tough time getting on the field this year with the talent we have. If Binns has a future with the Dolphins, he'll have to earn it on special teams, just like Matthews.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:05 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I just really don't see at this point how Bess is in a Dolphins uniform come week one. Which is sad for me because I really like the guy, but that's the business

Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]