View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:50 am



Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Second-Year WR Matthews Gaining Confidence 
Author Message
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3596
Post Second-Year WR Matthews Gaining Confidence
Quote:
Andy Kent Dolphins.com @Andy_Kent

Despite showing flashes of brilliance during training camp as a rookie last season, Miami Dolphins wide receiver Rishard Matthews had to bide his time early on and earn his keep on special teams.

But when his number was finally called, the seventh-round pick out of Nevada didn’t waste his opportunity and found himself in the offensive huddle in six of the last seven games. Matthews ended the season with 11 catches for 151 yards for a 13.7 average and reeled in three passes of 20 yards or more. That valuable experience has the California native looking forward to this season and the possibilities it brings for him.


...



http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/artic ... 9050b10c53


Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:38 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4580
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: Second-Year WR Matthews Gaining Confidence
Still irks me that the best WR they found all year was the 7th round rookie.
This guy outplayed Johnson, Gaffeny, Armstrong and Binns....

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:25 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Post Re: Second-Year WR Matthews Gaining Confidence
I think Matthews will find it even more difficult to get on the field this year with all of our recent additions. I think he's going to be playing mostly special teams this year. If he does see the field, it will likely be because someone else got injured.


Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:59 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: Second-Year WR Matthews Gaining Confidence
wkloiber13 wrote:
I think Matthews will find it even more difficult to get on the field this year with all of our recent additions. I think he's going to be playing mostly special teams this year. If he does see the field, it will likely be because someone else got injured.


If he's improving in training camp, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a roster spot from Bess. From what I've heard around other forums (so take it with a grain of salt), we're possibly looking to either trade him or just flat out get rid of him.

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:16 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 3092
Location: MA.
Post Re: Second-Year WR Matthews Gaining Confidence
10acjed wrote:
Still irks me that the best WR they found all year was the 7th round rookie.
This guy outplayed Johnson, Gaffeny, Armstrong and Binns....


Johnson was a waste of air...He should have never been invited to camp.

Binns was the best of the bunch


Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:57 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 4760
Location: Houston, Texas
Post Re: Second-Year WR Matthews Gaining Confidence
Miami really will be improved at the receiver spot and add in a potential threat from the draft and us fans should be pretty happy with the targets Tannehill will be throwing to this year.


Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:09 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Post Re: Second-Year WR Matthews Gaining Confidence
cspooner13 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
I think Matthews will find it even more difficult to get on the field this year with all of our recent additions. I think he's going to be playing mostly special teams this year. If he does see the field, it will likely be because someone else got injured.


If he's improving in training camp, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a roster spot from Bess. From what I've heard around other forums (so take it with a grain of salt), we're possibly looking to either trade him or just flat out get rid of him.


I could see Miami trading Bess if they find someone they like in the draft. Perhaps a draft day trade.

But the notion that Matthews will take Bess' spot is silly at this point. Bess is still in my opinion the 2nd or 3rd best receiver we've got.

The only way I see him leaving is if they decide to draft someone like Patterson and move Gibson into the slot, which is a possibility. A slim one, but still a possibility.


Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:21 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5839
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Second-Year WR Matthews Gaining Confidence
I still think Binns has a future with the team. Outside of 2 bad drops against the Pats I've read that he impressed the team last year. He has size and some speed, definitely an intriguing 4th receiver option.

Is he a future starter? Probably not, but maybe he plays his way into the 3rd receiver role as he develops.


Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:22 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Post Re: Second-Year WR Matthews Gaining Confidence
jammer wrote:
I still think Binns has a future with the team. Outside of 2 bad drops against the Pats I've read that he impressed the team last year. He has size and some speed, definitely an intriguing 4th receiver option.

Is he a future starter? Probably not, but maybe he plays his way into the 3rd receiver role as he develops.


In all reality Binns is probably the 6th best receiver we have right now behind Wallace, Hartline, Bess, Gibson, and Matthews. Even if we traded away Bess, he'd have a tough time getting on the field this year with the talent we have. If Binns has a future with the Dolphins, he'll have to earn it on special teams, just like Matthews.


Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:05 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: Second-Year WR Matthews Gaining Confidence
I just really don't see at this point how Bess is in a Dolphins uniform come week one. Which is sad for me because I really like the guy, but that's the business

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:56 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.