View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Draft a QB 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Draft a QB
With all of the free agency talk, and re-shuffling of draft priorities that has created, one thing that is mostly off the radar (at least it was until Ireland's interview today) is the idea that we would invest a draft pick in a QB this year.

I say, this is exactly the year to do it. We seem to have a solid QB depth chart, no doubt. But why not spend a mid-round pick on a cheap QB in the year that you have 11 picks to work with? Develop the kid, see what he can do. Maybe in a year or two you can trade him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. What have you lost? In that scenario, you get a gem and can keep the cheaper option instead of Matt Moore next year. Saves salary cap room, creates trade value... the Green Bay & New England model.

I'm hoping this happens, even though I really don't know the prospects well enough to know who I would want them to pick up. I don't mean in the first 3 rounds, but after that... yes.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:14 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Draft a QB
I think CB and OL are way ahead of QB concerns, especially after resigning Matt Moore.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

rodneyfaile wrote:
I think CB and OL are way ahead of QB concerns, especially after resigning Matt Moore.

Yes, which is why I said after the 3rd round. 11 picks, remember?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:57 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

k-dash wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

I think they will need to still draft key positions even after the 3rd round, plus when you are talking QBs in late rounds, I mean why bother?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

rodneyfaile wrote:
k-dash wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

I think they will need to still draft key positions even after the 3rd round, plus when you are talking QBs in late rounds, I mean why bother?

They still need at least one O-lineman, two CB's, and at least one pass rusher. So there are a lot of picks to make before we think about doing that. I do like the idea though.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

There is a reasonably long list of QBs taken in the 3rd round and later that have either experienced significant NFL success or have garnered good value in trades, or might do so soon. Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Matt Schaub, Matt Hasselbeck, Ryan Fitzpatrick (ok, maybe not...) Charlie Whitehurst, Kyle Orton, Matt Cassell, etc. Not that it's ever a sure thing, but it's worth the investment if you as a GM feel strongly about the upside.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:
There is a reasonably long list of QBs taken in the 3rd round and later that have either experienced significant NFL success or have garnered good value in trades, or might do so soon. Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Matt Schaub, Matt Hasselbeck, Ryan Fitzpatrick (ok, maybe not...) Charlie Whitehurst, Kyle Orton, Matt Cassell, etc. Not that it's ever a sure thing, but it's worth the investment if you as a GM feel strongly about the upside.

Who do you to keep this draftee on the roster?
Or do you take a chance of putting this valuable commodity on the practice squad where anyone can poach him for free?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:47 am
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

k-dash wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

before I would take a QB I would take CB/CB/OT/DE/WR/TE/G/RB

so sure! let's take one in the 7th round. Maybe Aaron Rodgers brother.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]