View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Chargers cut LT Gaither 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Chargers cut LT Gaither
I know zero about this guy....anybody have info on him and do you think we will be interested?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:08 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Chargers cut LT Gaither
MdDolfan wrote:
I know zero about this guy....anybody have info on him and do you think we will be interested?

Buyer beware on this guy.

There is a reason the Chargers cut him one year after giving him a 4 year, $24.6 million deal.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:12 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

He's talented as hell. I thought he was one of the top 3 or 4 LT's in the game early in Flacco's career.

For a team already struggling to find OL consistently, there have to be some serious injury concerns with Gaither. I think he's the type of guy you bring in after the draft, probably closer to camp, if you're desperate for some competition.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:18 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:

Buyer beware on this guy.

There is a reason the Chargers cut him one year after giving him a 4 year, $24.6 million deal.

You weren't kidding Rich....here is what Roto says.....

Signed to a four-year, $24.6M contract a year ago, Gaither essentially quit on the Chargers. "Big Lazy" appeared in just four games, milking back and groin injuries that the medical staff never deemed serious before landing on injured reserve. The Chargers are so down on Gaither that they're willing to take a $6M cap hit this season. The 6'9/340 behemoth immediately becomes the the best talent available on the left tackle market, but that's only if he wants to play. Meanwhile, the Chargers currently have King Dunlap penciled in on Philip Rivers' blind side, making Oklahoma LT Lane Johnson a strong possibility at No. 11 overall in April's draft.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:32 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Yeah he's notorious for being a quitter... he lost all the respect of his teammates when he was "injured" last year.

I wouldn't even take a flyer on him... too risky.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:57 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

As I said in another thread, I think this shows SD is going to either target a guy via FA/trade in the near future or they are looking to pounce on whichever LT falls to them in the draft. Problem is that is a dangerous game to play.

Have to wonder if they have their eyes on Winston or Albert.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:12 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Interesting player, but he comes with some serious baggage. I'd pass unless the contract was so team friendly we couldn't afford to pass it up (cheap deal / ability to cut during camp without cap hit).

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]