View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Brandon Albert for a 2nd? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Brandon Albert for a 2nd?
I really do think the best case scenario would be giving one of our 3rd's to Cleveland or Buffalo to move up for Lane Johnson. He's a top notch tackle prospect who is only getting better.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
I really do think the best case scenario would be giving one of our 3rd's to Cleveland or Buffalo to move up for Lane Johnson. He's a top notch tackle prospect who is only getting better.

Tough to trade with Division Rival Buffalo, and I don't see Cleveland or Arizona, for that matter, trading back to 12 for a No. 3. Cleveland would lose out on Jarvis Jones or Dee Milliner. Arizona is definitely targeting a QB.

One thing that hasn't been discussed is Odrick to the Raiders for their 3rd, then we get Milliner. A lot of Mocks have the Raiders targeting DT with their 1st pick. I like Odrick, but he's playing out of position. Milliner has potential to be one of the best CBs in the league. Though, I hate to see Odrick go, I think there's greater value in Milliner.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:36 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

SD just released Gaither. I know they are division rivals but I'd have to wonder if the move coincides with them making a push to land Albert and not chance it that a LT falls to them in the draft.

Of course it could also mean they are going after Andre Smith, Eric Winston or another free agent. Just connecting the dots with team needs.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:03 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'd rather sign Winston to a one/two year deal and draft depth than spend a 2nd and big money on Albert.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins close to landing LT Brandon Albert from KC
Quote:
According to league sources, the Dolphins have had extensive talks with Kansas City about acquiring Branden Albert for a second-round pick, and team sources acknowledge a trade could be finalized before next Thursday's NFL draft.

Quote:
Albert, who won't be participating in Kansas City's offseason program, and is presently training in South Florida, is adamant about remaining a left tackle.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

If this comes to fruition, doesn't this mean we're stuck paying for his franchise tag cap # this season, AND extending him? Jesus if that is true I REALLY hope this does not happen. Albert doesn't come across as a very likable, team first guy to me.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dolphins close to landing LT Brandon Albert from KC
This seems like an intelligent strategy if we truly are taking this into serious consideration:

Quote:
A team source said "the process has just begun," and admitted it is possible the Dolphins could wait until the first or second day of the draft, weighing all the options before finalizing a deal.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:00 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Branden Albert is doing what a lot of guys do that have the Franchise Tag. These workouts are voluntary. The players that are Franchised show up for mandatory workouts.

Randy Starks is not at the Dolphins voluntary workouts.

The fact that the Dolphins are possibly looking into this avenue tells me they are not sold on the so called Big 3, or the picks wanted to move up is to rich for the Dolphins.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
Branden Albert is doing what a lot of guys do that have the Franchise Tag. These workouts are voluntary. The players that are Franchised show up for mandatory workouts.

The fact that the Dolphins are possibly looking into this avenue tells me they are not sold on the so called Big 3, or the picks wanted to move up is to rich for the Dolphins.

I hope we don't engage in either scenario, especially the Albert trade. I really do not like the cap situation he would bring, if anything we should ink John Abraham.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
If this comes to fruition, doesn't this mean we're stuck paying for his franchise tag cap # this season, AND extending him?

I'm not sure if Albert has signed his franchise tender. That would be the only thing stopping Miami from making a contract extension a part of any trade.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:14 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:

Speaks to what they think of Martin's chances of being the answer as well.

I'm not sure how much I buy this.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:17 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

jam, if they are to the point of Albert taking a physical, this process is pretty far along.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:23 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Making a trade with a crappy team for a player that KC obviously feels isn't worth a big contract scares me and and can't end well!.. Ugh

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:26 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I'm kicking this back up to the top since the talk has reemerged again.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:29 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Brandon Albert does not fit the blocking scheme Andy Reid wants to implement, which is a power blocking scheme. Albert has played the last few years in a zone blocking scheme, which is what the Dolphins use.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
I'd rather sign Winston to a one/two year deal and draft depth than spend a 2nd and big money on Albert.

This.

:yay:

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:36 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Chiefs’ Albert Signs Franchise Tender
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: March 22, 2013

Left tackle Branden Albert has signed his franchise tender two weeks after the Chiefs placed their franchise tag on him. Albert will make $9.828 million under the one-year contract

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/22/sport ... .html?_r=0

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The designated franchise player will have his one year salary guaranteed if he elects to play for the team that designated him with the franchise tag and if he does not negotiate a contract with another team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

degs wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
If this comes to fruition, doesn't this mean we're stuck paying for his franchise tag cap # this season, AND extending him?

I'm not sure if Albert has signed his franchise tender. That would be the only thing stopping Miami from making a contract extension a part of any trade.

A new 3 or 4 year contract extension would be part of the deal. I would be a fan of this move. Miami will free up additional cap space on 6/1 from releasing Dansby & Burnett.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Despite being in a position to form one of the NFL's most formidable offensive lines in the league by allowing Albert to hang around, new head coach Andy Reid and his staff are actively shopping the veteran tackle and have named their asking price (h/t Adam Schefter):

" Adam Schefter ✔ @AdamSchefter

Chiefs are seeking a second-round pick in this year's draft as well as another pick in 2014 in a trade for franchise OT Branden Albert.
11:25 AM - 22 Mar 2013 "

The asking price for Albert is not outrageous by any means. He's played at a consistently high level since being selected in the first round of the 2008 draft, and he has acted as the anchor over the years while he protected the blind side for his quarterbacks.

What will cause some hesitation with any potential suitors is his recent injury history. Albert missed three games last season with a back injury but has missed just four games overall during his four-year tenure in Kansas City.

Reid and Co. slapped the franchise tag on Albert, so he'll be guaranteed $9.828 million in 2013, according to Mike Garafolo of USA Today:

" Mike Garafolo ✔ @MikeGarafolo

Chiefs OT Branden Albert has accepted his franchise tender. Will sign it soon. $9.828 million for this season. Smart move.
1:13 PM - 18 Mar 2013"

Presumably, the Chiefs used the tag as a way to give themselves more time to get value from Albert's departure. Any team that wants to trade for him now also has to sign him to a long-term contract, something the Chiefs and Albert are still reportedly far apart on, according to Peter King of SI.

While the extra picks would be nice, keeping Albert around for at least 2013 is the smart play for the franchise. After all, this is the man who ranked as the No. 25 overall tackle in the NFL last season in Pro Football Focus' rankings (subscription required).

Albert was experiencing his best year as a pro last season before he succumbed to injury. There are conflicting reports as to whether or not he is fully healthy and will be the same, but Albert himself makes a very compelling argument on the matter (h/t Mike Garafolo, USA Today):

"I just had nothing more than back spasms (last season). I tried to come back early and it flared up again. I haven't had any setbacks or things I couldn't do because of my back. That's the God's honest truth. If there was something wrong with my back, do you think the Chiefs would franchise me and give me $10 million?"

The man has a point. He passed a physical with the team before Kansas City made the investment to franchise tag him. It's a "prove-it" deal, and the Chiefs would be wise to keep him at left tackle.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1583 ... t-interest

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:59 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Chiefs are seeking a second-round pick in this year's draft as well as another pick in 2014 in a trade for franchise OT Branden Albert.

In a heartbeat. He is proven and even if Johnson fell, it's a 1st and he is unproven.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:44 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason ... b-in-draft

The Dolphins remain interested in trading for Chiefs tackle Branden Albert, and if completed would then likely target a cornerback with their first-round pick, according to league sources.

Miami is among the teams to discuss a deal with the Chiefs and continues to pursue that option, sources said, with the Chiefs seeking at least a second-round pick in return.

The Dolphins, while making a splash in free agency, have yet to replace the loss of left tackle Jake Long and top corner Sean Smith, and their priority is to do both, with acquiring a tackle now their goal, sources said. The team is very high on Alabama corner Dee Milliner, and he would be a prime target with the 12th overall pick if they can land Albert (Cleveland, with the sixth-overall pick, is looking hard at Milliner).

While this draft does have some alluring tackle prospects, the reality is Luke Joeckel will go first overall, sources said, and Eric Fisher will go in the top five. Miami is high on Oklahoma tackle Lane Johnson, who is rising, but if they can land Albert that would free them up, and Arizona and San Diego, picking ahead of the Dolphins, are also high on Johnson, sources said, and Alabama tackle DJ Fluker could also be selected before Miami picks.

If the Dolphins are able to complete a deal for Albert -- teams have been made aware by the Chiefs what Albert is looking for in compensation (he is currently on the franchise tag) -- and Milliner is gone before they pick, they also are among the teams very high on West Virginia receiver Tavon Austin, but he, too, is generating top-10 buzz. Austin might be there at 12, but teams are considering moving up to land him, and he is in play with the Jets picking ninth, as well.

The Dolphins are juggling all of these scenarios, but getting some certainty at tackle prior to the draft would allow them to focus more elsewhere, and their interest in Albert is very real.

The Chiefs are planning to draft a left tackle first overall, in Joeckel, so getting value for Albert is their priority.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:07 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

It makes sense to spend a 2nd rd pick on a proven player than trading a 2st and 3rd for a possible bust.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:08 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Makchell wrote:

In a heartbeat. He is proven and even if Johnson fell, it's a 1st and he is unproven.

I agree. Miami wants to give #54 and KC wants #42. Hope Miami holds out for the lower of the 2nd round picks.

I think they will offer Brandon what they offered Jake per year, or a little less.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
I think they will offer Brandon what they offered Jake per year, or a little less.

Really? Do you think based on performance they feel Albert deserves a lesser offer? I mean I love Jake, but was his play last year deserving of a higher offer than Albert's play last year?

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
jammer wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

jam, if they are to the point of Albert taking a physical, this process is pretty far along.

Now that I see several national guys reporting on this I know there is some fire. It did seem like Martin beefed up and took his need to improve strength seriously. I guess Miami doesn't want to leave that to chance.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:24 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

What would it take to move up to Cleveland's #6 selection and grab Milliner? Is that worth it to plug our two biggest holes?

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cspooner13 wrote:
What would it take to move up to Cleveland's #6 selection and grab Milliner? Is that worth it to plug our two biggest holes?

picks 12, 54 and 146

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:53 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
So if Miami trades Chicago's 3rd in a trade up Miami will end up trading Brandon Marshall for a bust of a TE & a few spots in Rd. 1. Nice move.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:23 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Dphins4me wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
So if Miami trades Chicago's 3rd in a trade up Miami will end up trading Brandon Marshall for a bust of a TE & a few spots in Rd. 1. Nice move.

Yeah, but they can't worry about the past...

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:49 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

phinsfansc wrote:
Makchell wrote:

I agree. Miami wants to give #54 and KC wants #42. Hope Miami holds out for the lower of the 2nd round picks.

No problem at all in giving up a 2nd round pick for Albert. Of course, we'll have to work out a contract with him as he is franchised with the Chiefs. He'll be expensive.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:50 am
Profile WWW

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I hope we don't engage in either scenario, especially the Albert trade. I really do not like the cap situation he would bring, if anything we should ink John Abraham.

What cap situation will it bring?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:52 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

What cap situation will it bring?

Rich, can you explain the Dolphins cap situation now? It's my understanding Miami will get an additional 10.1 million in cap space on June 1st for releasing Dansby and Burnett. Is that true? Can Miami exceed their cap before June 1st because more money is coming after? I am trying to understand just how much more money Miami can spend and when they can spend it. Thanks!!

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:58 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Big Dave wrote:
No problem at all in giving up a 2nd round pick for Albert. Of course, we'll have to work out a contract with him as he is franchised with the Chiefs. He'll be expensive.

On second thought, I take that back. We drafted Martin to be our future LT and he looks to added some upper body bulk. Let's see if he can take the next step forward at his natural LT position. I just don't believe in paying big for every player that fills a hole ... especially with all the money we've spent so far.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:17 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dave, are you talking to youself again?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:44 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Kev1321 wrote:
Dave, are you talking to youself again?

Well, the creative part of my brain wanted to make the trade, but the rational side said , "Wut up wit dat??"

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:34 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

picks 12, 54 and 146

So our first, 2nd second, and fifth. Factoring in giving our 1st second for Albert, that would give us Dee Milliner in the first, Branden Albert in the second, and still with 2 thirds to add a pass rusher.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:58 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

k-dash wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Really? Do you think based on performance they feel Albert deserves a lesser offer? I mean I love Jake, but was his play last year deserving of a higher offer than Albert's play last year?

k, at one point Jake Long was considered THE best OLT in football. The last 2 years, injuries have really taken there toll on Jake and his play has slipped.

Branden Albert is a very good OLT, but at his best, he was not a Jake Long caliber of player. So, yes, I think the Dolphins are looking at the Jake Long contract or probably a little less. No one in the market this year is getting HUGE money.

As far as folks talking about the money, OLT get GOOD money. You are going to HAVE to pay one eventually. Miami has done to many good things to possibly trust the OLT spot to a rookie, no matter the talent or potential that is perceived to be there.

Now the Dolphins still could decide to go the rookie route, but that would make me as nervous as the thought of Jonathan Martin manning the spot. I will say I feel a lot better about Martin after I have seen and read some of the reports on him from voluntary workouts.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:25 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'd feel a lot better about Albert than anything else I've heard so far.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2