View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Ireland: OT Jonathan Martin's position remains unsettled 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Ireland: OT Jonathan Martin's position remains unsettled
You cannot develop a quarterback if he has to worry about protection from his blind side. This position needs to be addressed in free agency or the draft, and move Martin back to RT.

Quote:
Jonathan Martin's position still up in air

GM Jeff Ireland said OT Jonathan Martin's future position on the line remains unsettled.

"We're still visiting with a couple of tackles out there," said Ireland. "To say Jonathan is going to definitely play left tackle or right tackle, that's still yet to be determined. I'm comfortable with him playing either position." Martin started the final five games of last season at left tackle. According to Pro Football Focus, he gave up 17 hurries and two sacks in those contests.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51266024/ ... ayer_news/

Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:17 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Ireland: OT Jonathan Martin's position remains unsettled
LOL, if he was comfortable with Martin playing either, he would've been named to one already.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:00 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
LOL, if he was comfortable with Martin playing either, he would've been named to one already.

Ireland doest name anyone to a position, he just goes and gets guys. Philbin and the coaching staff put them in positions, and that will be in camp.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rodneyfaile wrote:
Ireland doest name anyone to a position, he just goes and gets guys. Philbin and the coaching staff put them in positions, and that will be in camp.

Oh he doesn't eh? So Mike Pouncey isn't named to Center or Tannehill isn't named to QB?

C'mon Rodney.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:07 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

Oh he doesn't eh? So Mike Pouncey isn't named to Center or Tannehill isn't named to QB?

C'mon Rodney.

Apples to oranges. It will be up to Philbin, Sherman and the offensive line coach as to where Martin lines up.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:09 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

C'mon Rodney.

Of course they are, but not by Ireland. I didnt see Ireland come in the room on Hard Knocks and tell Tannehill he was starting.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rodneyfaile wrote:
Of course they are, but not by Ireland. I didnt see Ireland come in the room on Hard Knocks and tell Tannehill he was starting.

We're getting into semantics here.

Philbin himself even mentioned recently all that Martin has to work on. He played neither LT or RT well at all in 2012. So what comes first here, the chicken or the egg? Them waiting on how the rest of FA/Draft shakes out and THEN put Martin somewhere or reverse?

If he had earned his weight in gold the entire brass would've already made him the starter at LT.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:16 am

I wouldn't be shocked if the Dolphins draft another tackle, even if they sign Winston. If they draft that tackle high and he competes, Martin might be sitting on the bench and getting another year to shoot up massive amounts of steroids.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:26 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IMO resolving the LT and RT positions is the most urgent issue for the Dolphins. Protecting Tannehill's blind side is a huge need for this team. I am hopeful Miami signs a free agent or two soon for the O-line to add some depth.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:40 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
I wouldn't be shocked if the Dolphins draft another tackle, even if they sign Winston. If they draft that tackle high and he competes, Martin might be sitting on the bench and getting another year to shoot up massive amounts of steroids.

I like this scenario.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:57 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

We're getting into semantics here.

Philbin himself even mentioned recently all that Martin has to work on. He played neither LT or RT well at all in 2012. So what comes first here, the chicken or the egg? Them waiting on how the rest of FA/Draft shakes out and THEN put Martin somewhere or reverse?

If he had earned his weight in gold the entire brass would've already made him the starter at LT.

Sorry, I guess I was stressing WHO instead of WHEN. By saying Irleand doesn't decide, Philbin does, what I was actually trying to say was that these guys get put into positions based not only on which other players are acquired, but how well the perform in camp. I'm sure they take into consideration past performance, but they aren't going to decide on a depth chart before the first day of camp. I'm sure Ireland has a desired roster spot in mind when picking players, as he should, but lets give the coaches a chance to coach them and see who has been working out in the offseason.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]