View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Elvis Dumervil 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Elvis Dumervil
The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson reports Elvis Dumervil's agent intends to call the Dolphins because the DE would like to play for Miami.

Weather of Miami is helping us early now what will happen?

Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:03 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Elvis Dumervil
He will be expensive. Not sure they can afford him unless Long goes to the rams.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

No thanks.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:28 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

ag_fin_90 wrote:
The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson reports Elvis Dumervil's agent intends to call the Dolphins because the DE would like to play for Miami.

Dumervil is from Florida. He is a premier pass rusher, but he does not fit what the Dolphins run defensively or the personnel they want.

Michael Bennett would have been ideal.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

phinsfansc wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:

Dumervil is from Florida. He is a premier pass rusher, but he does not fit what the Dolphins run defensively or the personnel they want.

Agree but also i look and say idk any pass rusher out there that would fit either maybe Osi but i doubt it

Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Free agent DE Elvis Dumervil is interested in joining the Dolphins.
Dumervil is a Miami native, but the Dolphins haven't called his agent and may not be interested. Dumervil's rep says "multiple teams" have called, but NFL Network's Michelle Beisner reported Dumervil isn't drawing much buzz. The Broncos appear to be moving on from Dumervil, at least for the moment.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:01 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

This is where his size is killing him teams love the way he rushes but with his size teams wont be that comfortable

Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:26 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

phinsfansc wrote:

Help me understand this. Has Coyle ever said anything about not liking short D-Lineman? Partially kidding but do you not believe that Dumervil is capable of adjusting to our scheme? Besides its not as if our Defense was so incredible last year that the same plan must be set in stone. Dumervil is a straight ball player with similar numbers to Wake's last year. & capable of creating the kind of pressure needed to win in this league.

I would think its more about Dumervil is hoping to get 8M a year since thats what he was getting in Denver. \

Btw Bennett is a contract year player

Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

We need a pass rusher. This team does nothing with just Wake.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:07 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Kev1321 wrote:

Yeah, only 42 sacks for 7th best in the league as a team, only Wake can get to the QB... :hithead:

Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Perhaps, but there was talk that he lines up on the same side as Wake and that his pass rushing strength was not lining up on the opposite side. Seems as though that shouldn't matter, but I am told it does when it comes to which side an edge rusher is more dominant,

Dumervil has a very impressive knack for tackling guys behind the line of scrimmage and QB hurries too. The guy has a tremendous motor, but besides probably not fitting Miami's system, he is too costly, UNLESS, more time keeps going by and he sits out there long enough to be had for a great price.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:44 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

StereoMike wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

Yeah, only 42 sacks for 7th best in the league as a team, only Wake can get to the QB... :hithead:

Well isn't that great...How about we aim for 7th place this year.

You shut down Wake and we are 20th. The pass rush is inconsistant and has little depth

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:16 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Dumervil only makes sense as a situational pass rusher. Is he going to want that role and accept that type of money? His size prohibits him from being a full time 43 DE.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:50 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He'd be a great addition if the Dolphins are interested. If we get him you can just mark him down for 10+ sacks a season for the next two to three years. He's an excellent football player. He's very disruptive and played very well this season across from Von Miller. I could see him replicating those numbers playing across from Wake. If we can make it happen from a CAP standpoint, and not screw ourselves going forward, I think we should do it. Having two elite pass rushers would give teams nightmares and help us take down Brady and the Pats.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Dumervil only makes sense as a situational pass rusher. Is he going to want that role and accept that type of money? His size prohibits him from being a full time 43 DE.

This. People don't seem to get that players have to fit your system. Dumervil would be a square peg in a round hole as a full time player in our defense, and we can't afford to pay a guy like him to be a role player. I don't see this happening.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:14 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Kev1321 wrote:
StereoMike wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

Well isn't that great...How about we aim for 7th place this year.

You shut down Wake and we are 20th. The pass rush is inconsistant and has little depth

My point is, I don't understand why many people in here keep saying that pass rush is a weakness, it's actually a strength. Can we improve? Of course we can, but at what cost? I would not burn $8M in cap space just so we can move a few spots up while hurting the run defense in the process.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:
Rich wrote:

This. People don't seem to get that players have to fit your system. Dumervil would be a square peg in a round hole as a full time player in our defense, and we can't afford to pay a guy like him to be a role player. I don't see this happening.

Dumervile is 100% an every down player. I don't know where all of this undersized bs is coming from. He's 260lbs, that's fairly average for a 4-3 DE. The man has proven throughout his career that he is an effective every down player. The numbers don't lie.

Telling Elvis Dumervil that he's not an every down defensive end is like telling Ray Rice or Maurice Jones-Drew they're not every down runningbacks because they're short.

This last season Dumervil had more tackles and more forced fumbles than any player on Miami's defensive line (54 tackles / 6.0 forced fumbles). His 11.0 sacks would have been second best on the team. I'm sorry, but if you look at the man's career, he's been a 4-3 defensive end every single year except one or two, and every year he's played he's been an every down guy.

He would be a huge upgrade if we were able to get him. He's easily one of the best defensive ends in the NFL. If he's willing to sign with Miami for a similar price to what the Broncos offered, the Dolphins would be stupid not to take a look. Putting him across from Wake would be amazing.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Says who? The man has played DE his entire career as an every down player and has been extremely successful. What makes you think him moving to Miami would change that? He played 4-3 DE in college and was great. He's played 4-3 DE in the NFL for several years and played great. Just because he's short you think he's not an every down player?

I live in Denver, I've watched this guy play for years. I hear what the former pros and team evaluators think of the guy. He's a great player and everyone in Denver loves the guy. They badly don't want to see this guy leave. He's a difference maker.

If we put him across from Wake, it would mean great things for every other guy on that defensive line. I'd love to see us get Dumervil.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

StereoMike wrote:

My point is, I don't understand why many people in here keep saying that pass rush is a weakness, it's actually a strength. Can we improve? Of course we can, but at what cost? I would not burn $8M in cap space just so we can move a few spots up while hurting the run defense in the process.

Miami's pass rush is one dimensional. Wake had 15 sacks then it drops off to Odrick with 5, Starks with 4.5 and Vernon and Misi with 3.5 each. Adding another pass rushing end would keep opponents from double teaming Wake. It would also make QB's hurry which would help the secondary by causing more turnovers and defensive stops with pressure. If Miami can cause disruption with its front 4 that's a huge advantage. That is also how you beat Tom Brady.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
Rich wrote:

Says who? The man has played DE his entire career as an every down player and has been extremely successful. What makes you think him moving to Miami would change that? He played 4-3 DE in college and was great. He's played 4-3 DE in the NFL for several years and played great. Just because he's short you think he's not an every down player?

I live in Denver, I've watched this guy play for years. I hear what the former pros and team evaluators think of the guy. He's a great player and everyone in Denver loves the guy. They badly don't want to see this guy leave. He's a difference maker.

If we put him across from Wake, it would mean great things for every other guy on that defensive line. I'd love to see us get Dumervil.

No doubt it would change the dynamics of the defense to have a legit pass rushing threat opposite Cam, that's been well discussed. If you are right about his ability to play in the 4-3 then I am sure that the Dolphins brass are looking hard at him.

He will be looking for a long term contract, don't you think? Somebody is likely to give him one, too... and he's 29 years old. Kinda goes against Ireland's trend, but we'll see.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:12 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

bobby0112 wrote:
Miami's pass rush is one dimensional. Wake had 15 sacks then it drops off to Odrick with 5, Starks with 4.5 and Vernon and Misi with 3.5 each.

Huh? You contradict yourself by saying numerous players got multiple sacks this year. One dimensional would mean Wake having 50% of the team's sacks, just like JJ Watt and Aldon Smith.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

StereoMike wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:
Miami's pass rush is one dimensional. Wake had 15 sacks then it drops off to Odrick with 5, Starks with 4.5 and Vernon and Misi with 3.5 each.

Huh? You contradict yourself by saying numerous players got multiple sacks this year. One dimensional would mean Wake having 50% of the team's sacks, just like JJ Watt and Aldon Smith.

In case you didn't notice Odrick and Starks are interior defensive lineman. Sacks and pass rush come from outside linebackers/Defensive ends in this defense. Misi and Vernon are sized like linebackers like Wake. They provide pressure opposite Wake. And their contribution in 2012 was pathetic. That is what Miami needs. Another pass rusher coming from the opposite side of Wake. Not interior lineman. The stats I posted show you the drop off in sacks from linebackers/DE's.

Last edited by bobby0112 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:32 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I wouldn't call 15 sacks vs 8½(Vernon,Odrick) one dimensional. So you want 15 sacks from both DEs? That would cost a lot of money though, not sure investing that much into one position on defense would be smart.

I know threre's more than just sacks though. Anyway, bottom line, I would not give more money to Dumervil than Wake.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:58 pm

wkloiber13 wrote:
Says who?

Says these annoying little things called facts.

Quote:
The man has played DE his entire career as an every down player and has been extremely successful.

Wrong. He moved to OLB when Mike Nolan (remember him, the guy that runs a 34 EVERYWHERE he goes) was the defensive coordinator and had his best success as a 34 OLB.

Quote:
He played 4-3 DE in college and was great.

I'm not sure why that matters in the pros.

Quote:
He's played 4-3 DE in the NFL for several years and played great. Just because he's short you think he's not an every down player?

Let's look at those annoying little things called facts.

In 2012, Dumervil ranked 44th out of 62 defensive ends that play a 43. He was terrible against the run, ranking 54th out of 62 DEs. As a pass rusher, he ranked 23rd.

In 2011, he ranked 30th out of 67 DEs that play in a 43. As a pass rusher, he ranked 38th and as a run defender he ranked 25th.

He doesn't register in 2010 because

In 2009 he played OLB in a 34, his best season by the way, with 17 sacks.

IN 2008 as a 43 DE, he ranked 50th out of 82 players at DE in a 43. He was terrible against the run, ranking 71st, and ranked 19th as a pass rusher.

So I stand by my statement. This guy is not an effective every down 43 DE. He is a huge liability against the run, getting negative grades at 43 DE. His strength is as a pass rusher, and thus the only reason I would sign him is to be a situation pass rusher. A guy that comes in on "and long" situations to pressure the QB.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:30 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Ha! Ha! Rich, I can hear your voice saying this....For better or worse stats don't lie. Elvis certainly would be a nice motor, but I echo Rich's comment about situational pass rusher. The problem is you could probably get some veteran like Abraham or Freeney for a lot less than Elvis wants to be a situational rusher. Draft another young DE with a motor to groom up with Vernon.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:06 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Says who?

Quote:
The man has played DE his entire career as an every down player and has been extremely successful.

Wrong. He moved to OLB when Mike Nolan (remember him, the guy that runs a 34 EVERYWHERE he goes) was the defensive coordinator and had his best success as a 34 OLB.

Quote:
He played 4-3 DE in college and was great.

I'm not sure why that matters in the pros.

Quote:
He's played 4-3 DE in the NFL for several years and played great. Just because he's short you think he's not an every down player?

Let's look at those annoying little things called facts.

In 2012, Dumervil ranked 44th out of 62 defensive ends that play a 43. He was terrible against the run, ranking 54th out of 62 DEs. As a pass rusher, he ranked 23rd.

In 2011, he ranked 30th out of 67 DEs that play in a 43. As a pass rusher, he ranked 38th and as a run defender he ranked 25th.

He doesn't register in 2010 because

In 2009 he played OLB in a 34, his best season by the way, with 17 sacks.

IN 2008 as a 43 DE, he ranked 50th out of 82 players at DE in a 43. He was terrible against the run, ranking 71st, and ranked 19th as a pass rusher.

So I stand by my statement. This guy is not an effective every down 43 DE. He is a huge liability against the run, getting negative grades at 43 DE. His strength is as a pass rusher, and thus the only reason I would sign him is to be a situation pass rusher. A guy that comes in on "and long" situations to pressure the QB.

He was more productive than every single Dolphin defensive linemen other than Wake, and his numbers were even comparable to Wake's in my opinion. Also, you have to remember that Wake has Starks and Soliai in the middle, the Broncos interior defensive line is very weak. The facts are that he had more tackles and forced fumbles than every single Dolphins defensive lineman.

As far as your arguement about him being better in the 3-4, you're right, he had 17 sacks in the 3-4 one year. But he's also put up excellent numbers in the Broncos 4-3 system they currently run. You can BS with whatever obscure stats your looking at, but 54 tackles, 11 sacks, and 6 forced fumbles is excellent. So no matter what configuration we run, he's going to play at an elite level. Just because our base defense is 4-3 doesn't mean we're going to be 4-3 the entire game. Having a versatile pass rusher like Dumervil would take our defense to a whole different level. We would be able to switch freely between the 4-3 and 3-4 and get to the quarterback all game long.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:06 pm

wkloiber13 wrote:
He was more productive than every single Dolphin defensive linemen other than Wake, and his numbers were even comparable to Wake's in my opinion. Also, you have to remember that Wake has Starks and Soliai in the middle, the Broncos interior defensive line is very weak. The facts are that he had more tackles and forced fumbles than every single Dolphins defensive lineman.

PFF doesn't look at who is around the player and simply how many tackles they got. The evaluate every single play to analyze whether that player did their part on that play.

So while productivity from a tackles perspective may be higher, he graded out VERY poorly as a run defender.

Quote:
You can BS with whatever obscure stats your looking at

Cool, go over to Pro Football Focus, who are the best at what they do, and tell them that they BS with whatever obscure stats they look at (which are compiled by looking at every play the player makes).

The fact is Dumervil sucks against the run. Years of data prove this.

He's an excellent pass rusher, no doubt, but a terrible run defender. He cannot hold up against a 320 lbs offensive left tackle for 70 snaps. Never has, never will.

This is not the guy we can afford to give big money to and line him up at DE every down. If he is willing to sign a one year deal for less than half what he was making to be a situational pass rusher, bring him on. But he was making $12 million last season... do you really think he is going to come to Miami for a 1 year, $4 million deal? If he is, bring him on.

If not, look elsewhere.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Here's a week by week analysis of Dumervil's play from 2011 and 2012. He missed all of 2010 so there is no data to look at.

In almost every game, with few exceptions, he grades out poorly as a run defender.

Meanwhile, the excuse was given that the other players on the defensive line aren't good against the run, yet the Broncos managed to grade out 2nd in the NFL against the run in 2012 and 8th in 2011.

Denver allowed the 3rd fewest yards against the run in 2012, despite Dumervil's atrocious defense against the run. So there goes that excuse...

Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

they don't calculate turnovers or strips?

Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:45 pm

swerve13 wrote:

It does not appear they look at forced fumbles, but they do look at passes defenses and interceptions.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:51 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I am sure that any more money spent will be less than more at this point. We are as stacked as we have ever been in draft picks and while I believe there are still good players via free agency, the positions we are still in need for I can see coming from a deeper draft in those positions.

As others have said in many other posts, one year stop gaps aren't bad options for developing the new additions. While we aren't all the way there yet and hitting on all cylinders, I think we are definitely making progress.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:26 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

wkloiber13 wrote:
k-dash wrote:
Rich wrote:

Dumervile is 100% an every down player. I don't know where all of this undersized bs is coming from. He's 260lbs, that's fairly average for a 4-3 DE. The man has proven throughout his career that he is an effective every down player. The numbers don't lie.

Telling Elvis Dumervil that he's not an every down defensive end is like telling Ray Rice or Maurice Jones-Drew they're not every down runningbacks because they're short.

This last season Dumervil had more tackles and more forced fumbles than any player on Miami's defensive line (54 tackles / 6.0 forced fumbles). His 11.0 sacks would have been second best on the team. I'm sorry, but if you look at the man's career, he's been a 4-3 defensive end every single year except one or two, and every year he's played he's been an every down guy.

He would be a huge upgrade if we were able to get him. He's easily one of the best defensive ends in the NFL. If he's willing to sign with Miami for a similar price to what the Broncos offered, the Dolphins would be stupid not to take a look. Putting him across from Wake would be amazing.
THIS

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:14 pm

KTOWNFINFAN wrote:
THIS

No.... THIS.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:46 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
KTOWNFINFAN wrote:
THIS

No.... THIS.

KTOWN still hasn't learned how to read those yet.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:08 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Sign him to a one year contract.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:08 am
Profile WWW

Rock Sexton wrote:
KTOWN still hasn't learned how to read those yet.

:bravo:

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:12 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

It does not appear they look at forced fumbles, but they do look at passes defenses and interceptions.

So the six forced fumbles Dumervil created this year aren't considered in the grading process? In my opinion a forced fumble is better than a sack. So it appears that this amazing grading process falls a bit short.

The bottom line is that Dumervil is a big time disruptor. He generates sacks, pressures, and forced fumbles. We have the cap space to sign him, a free agent offensive lineman, and all of our draft picks.

I see no reason why we can't sign the guy for a similar deal to what Denver was initially offering. Reports here in Denver are that the Broncos are ticked off about the previous deal going bad and want to lower his salary to somewhere around $5M a season. That isn't enough for the guy. I'd be willing to bet he'd be willing to meet the Dolphins somewhere in the middle between $5M and $8M.

I have no problem whatsoever with the Dolphins offering Dumervil somewhere around 2 years and between $12 and 14M. I think that's a fair deal for an elite pass rusher.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:33 pm

wkloiber13 wrote:
So the six forced fumbles Dumervil created this year aren't considered in the grading process? In my opinion a forced fumble is better than a sack. So it appears that this amazing grading process falls a bit short.

That depends. Is he causing those fumbles during sacks or when tackling running backs?

And I can turn the argument around on you easily enough. You bring up the number of tackles he had. How many of those tackles were at or around the line of scrimmage and how many were 5, 10 or 15 yards downfield?

There must be a reason that he grades out poorly at stopping the run.

Quote:
The bottom line is that Dumervil is a big time disruptor. He generates sacks, pressures, and forced fumbles. We have the cap space to sign him, a free agent offensive lineman, and all of our draft picks.

You may find this amazing if you actually read what I am writing, because you only read and acknowledge what you want, but at no time did I question him as a pass rusher. I'm questioning him as an every down player because he is a liability against the run.

I've said I am OK with bringing him in as a situational pass rusher.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Thrawn wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

That depends. Is he causing those fumbles during sacks or when tackling running backs?

And I can turn the argument around on you easily enough. You bring up the number of tackles he had. How many of those tackles were at or around the line of scrimmage and how many were 5, 10 or 15 yards downfield?

There must be a reason that he grades out poorly at stopping the run.

Quote:

You may find this amazing if you actually read what I am writing, because you only read and acknowledge what you want, but at no time did I question him as a pass rusher. I'm questioning him as an every down player because he is a liability against the run.

I've said I am OK with bringing him in as a situational pass rusher.

What is the difference whether he strips the ball from a runningback, a quarterback, etc.? A forced fumble is a forced fumble.

I still contest that he grades out poorly against the run because he's playing next to sub par interior defensive linemen. The Broncos have terrible interior defense, it's been that way for years. Also, Dumervil faces constant double teams (as does Miller). While Dumervil isn't a run plugger, I believe your numbers don't tell the full story and I believe that if placed into our line with Soliai and Starks helping him out, he'd do significantly better. I don't think he's a liability, I think the opposite.

So since we're both in agreement that he'd be a great pass rusher, what kind of value do you put on a guy like that? We obviously have Odrick to utilize on most running downs, and Dumervil could play passing downs. We have the money to sign Dumervil. I fail to see this as a bad scenario. I seriously doubt the man wants his $12M back. I think he probably understands that he's going to get less money because Freeney, Abraham, and Umenyora are all out there.

What kind of value would you put on Dumervil? Personally, I think we could sign the man to a three or four year deal if he's willing to sign for around $6M a season. I think under that kind of deal the Dolphins would get a great value.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:52 am

wkloiber13 wrote:
What is the difference whether he strips the ball from a runningback, a quarterback, etc.? A forced fumble is a forced fumble.

The difference is that I'm talking about Dumervil as a run defender. You're off somewhere else having your own conversation as usual.

Quote:
I still contest that he grades out poorly against the run because he's playing next to sub par interior defensive linemen. The Broncos have terrible interior defense, it's been that way for years.

Yet they graded out very well and ranked very well at stopping the run (3rd in the NFL) despite Dumervil's poor individual rankings.

Quote:
What kind of value would you put on Dumervil? Personally, I think we could sign the man to a three or four year deal if he's willing to sign for around $6M a season. I think under that kind of deal the Dolphins would get a great value.

No way in hell do I sign him to anything longer than a 1 year deal. With the way the contracts are escalating in 2014, there isn't going to be room for him to sign that kind of deal.

I sign him to a deal somewhere in between what Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril got per year. $5-$7 million because he does bring excellent pass rushing. But I also draft a pass rusher to replace him in 2014.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next