View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Lane Johnson 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Lane Johnson
What do you guys think of Lane Johnson at #12?

Here is a breakdown of his skillset from WalterFootball:
Quote:
Strengths:
Extremely effective pass-protector
Phenomenal athlete
Rare athleticism
Massive upside
Superb agility
Very reliable
Shuts down pass-rushers for four quarters
Phenomenal at mirroring speed-rushers going for the corner
Quick feet
Good pad level
Fast in his drop
Very advanced technique
Mobility to hit blocks on the perimeter
Gets to blocks on the second level
Can anchor against bull rushes
Natural bender
Good length
Plus recoverability
Should be a real technician as a pro
Perfect fit for a zone-blocking system
Smart
Strong hands
Good teammate

Weaknesses:
Needs more strength to run block effectively in the NFL
Not overly strong, physical
Definitely would fit better in a zone-blocking system
Not very experienced
Will need developmental time

Johnson played extremely well in 2012. He did a superb job protecting the blind side of quarterback Landry Jones. Against Texas and defensive end Alex Okafor, Johnson had a very good game as the Sooners handled the Longhorns. He closed out his career by playing well against Texas A&M and its edge-rushers including Damontre Moore.

Johnson used the Senior Bowl to pop from being a fringe first-rounder to a pick in the top half of Round 1. He was the second-most impressive blocker in Mobile - behind only Eric Fisher. Johnson was rock-solid in pass protection in the one-on-ones. He clearly has been well-developed by the Sooners coaching staff to protect the blind side.

There is no doubt that Johnson is a rare athlete. He is as fast as a tight end and is just scratching the surface of his potential. Johnson has light, quick feet to get depth in his drop and negate speed rushes. His phenomenal agility lets him glide with pass-rushers, while speed-rushers get frustrated with his ability to mirror. Johnson is also quick to react and negate rushes to the inside. Entering the NFL, Johnson is a legitimate pass-protector.

Johnson has potential in the ground game, but will need some more work. He could use more strength to move defensive linemen. Still, Johnson has the frame to add more weight while maintaining his quickness. He looked like he was hiding his 300 pounds at the Senior Bowl weigh-in. There is little doubt that Johnson will be able to add a significant amount of weight once he enters an NFL strength and conditioning program.

The athletic Johnson would be a perfect fit in a zone-blocking scheme. His athleticism, quickness and agility makes him a prototypical blocker for a zone scheme. If Johnson is drafted into a man-blocking scheme, he will need some time to add power for the ground game.

Many believe that Johnson has more upside than Cental Michigan's Eric Fisher or Texas A&M's Luke Joeckel. However, because Johnson has only one season of experience at left tackle, he could use more developmental time. Johnson might be better off starting out at right tackle for a year or two before moving over to the left side.

With his elite pass-protection skills, it looks like Johnson is going to be selected in the top 16 and is a near lock for the top 20.

While he's not Jake Long, the kid seems to have some serious upside and sounds like a great candidate to start day one at RT.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:00 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Lane Johnson
Tonight, the NFL Network Guys on the show "Path to the Draft", said the Dolphins could likely trade up to get Johnson. They predicted he would not fall past the Chargers at No. 11. I tend to agree he will not make it past the Chargers, since Luke Joekel and Eric Fisher will be gone.

This is one of the most unpredictable drafts I can remember. As many as five teams in the Top 10 (Arizona, Buffalo, NY Jets, Jacksonville and Oakland) need to improve at QB. It's quite possible, 3 QB's are drafted in the Top 10. This could very well push Johnson or maybe even Milliner within reach. I'll admit the later is unlikely..........either way, the Titans at the 10 spot look like a possible trading partner.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
This is one of the most unpredictable drafts I can remember. As many as five teams in the Top 10 (Arizona, Buffalo, NY Jets, Jacksonville and Oakland) need to improve at QB. It's quite possible, 3 QB's are drafted in the Top 10.

And in 2-3 years, most of them will be looking for a replacement as this is a weak QB class. That's how the Jets wound up with whatshisname at QB and are looking for a replacement now.

But I'm fine with that. It helps the Dolphins and makes the Jets suffer. :)

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I agree with you Degs, if EJ Manuel or Barkley are sitting there, it will be tough for the Jets to pass. Ryan was fortunate to keep his job last year, he definitely wont survive if Sanchez has another year like 2012.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Very hard to predict where OL or DL will go. I remember last year Jonathan Martin was predicted to be a first rounder and a lot of mocks had him going in the teens or early 20s.

With the OT needs by teams picking in the top 12 its hard to see Johnson making it past Miami, or SD for that matter. Still need to see where Smith, Vollmer and Winston sign. If KC does indeed trade Albert then it would be logical for them to sign a RT and focus on BPA with the first pick.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
I agree with you Degs, if EJ Manuel or Barkley are sitting there, it will be tough for the Jets to pass. Ryan was fortunate to keep his job last year, he definitely wont survive if Sanchez has another year like 2012.

In another recent thread someone posted that just one mistake can set your franchise back years.

Timing has so much to do with it. Can you imagine where Indy would be right now if Manning had his neck issues today instead of a year ago? Last year Luck and RGIII were available. They are now looking good. If they were desperate for a QB right now, where would they be??

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

True, the same goes for us. I know Manziel had an amazing year, but I assume Tannehill would have kept his starting job at A&M if he stayed. If that were the case, Tanehill would be a Chief.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:35 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
True, the same goes for us. I know Manziel had an amazing year, but I assume Tannehill would have kept his starting job at A&M if he stayed. If that were the case, Tanehill would be a Chief.

And we would have been the 3rd team seeking a QB, behind Indy and Washington.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think he won't be there at 12. He's not getting past San Diego. They love him. That's who their target is.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:33 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Daniel Jeremiah made a ton of sense tonite when he said we could trade our high 3rd rounder to Cleveland to move up to number 7 and take Lane Johnson. Would be a great move IMO. This kid is really good, reminds me of Vollmer. And Cleveland would probably do it since they are low on picks.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:09 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I like getting this kid before giving up a second to get Albert. Now that being said, you need to have the right trade plan to move spots ahead of someone else who may be targeting him.

ESPN draft room mentioned Miami packaging a 5th to move a couple of spots to get Lane. Is that all it takes nowadays to move picks like that?

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:09 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
ESPN draft room mentioned Miami packaging a 5th to move a couple of spots to get Lane. Is that all it takes nowadays to move picks like that?

Good point and the answer is no. Last Year the Browns gave their No. 4 overall pick, their 4th, 5th and 7th to the Vikings to move up one spot to No. 3.

The Titans at the 10 spot, seem to be the logical trade partner for the Phins. If both San Diego and the Phins are going heavy for him, then the Titans will be well compensated for moving back. Also, the Chargers aren't limited to discussions with the Titans, they could trade with the Bills and Jets at No. 8 and No. 9, respectively.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:01 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

shularino wrote:
Last Year the Browns gave their No. 4 overall pick, their 4th, 5th and 7th to the Vikings to move up one spot to No. 3.

Last year, the Jacksonville Jaguars traded their 1st and 4th round pick to move from 7th pick to 5th pick with the Tampa Bay Bucs.

Quote:
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have traded their No. 5 pick in the 2012 NFL Draft to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

In exchange for that pick, the Bucs will now select at No. 7 overall, the pick formerly held by the Jaguars while also receiving Jacksonville's fourth round pick at 101 overall.

http://tampabay.sbnation.com/jacksonvil ... -blackmond

So a 5th rounder may be enough to move up two spots.

The Browns clearly overpaid and were working on the old "draft value chart", but the draft has changed with the rookie scale.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:17 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It all depends on demand. If multiple teams are competing, then the asking price will be high. If only one team is seeking a trade, then it makes since to trade out, assuming you'll still get your player with a later pick. If the Phins are targeting Johnson, then Ireland needs to hold his poker face until the Titans are on the clock.

To your point, the Browns left a lot of people scratching their heads last year. They obviously made no secret Richardson was their guy, so Spielman may very well have stolen those picks.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:52 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

shularino wrote:
It all depends on demand. If multiple teams are competing, then the asking price will be high. If only one team is seeking a trade, then it makes since to trade out, assuming you'll still get your player with a later pick. If the Phins are targeting Johnson, then Ireland needs to hold his poker face until the Titans are on the clock.

To your point, the Browns left a lot of people scratching their heads last year. They obviously made no secret Richardson was their guy, so Spielman may very well have stolen those picks.

Hey I have an idea.....draft Tavon Austin and grab a Tackle in the 2nd round. Can somebody do the reasearch on the 32 LT's in the league? how many are first rounders?

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:57 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

There's been some talk of Tavon Ausitn to the Phins, but if that happens, there maybe a brick going through my TV. Nothing against the kid, he has an impressive highlight reel............but so did Ted Ginn. If we didn't pickup Wallace, I'd be more open minded, but the immediate needs are O-line and DB. If Johnson isn't there, take Rhodes.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:22 am

shularino wrote:

It also depends on the position of the pick. You can't really compare moving up from 4 to 3 to moving up from 12 to 10 as the value of a top 5 pick is a lot higher than picks 6-10.

This draft is more deep and less top heavy than normal. I don't see a lot of action in the top 5 picks this year. Teams may be content to pick up more players than to target one player.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:38 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
There's been some talk of Tavon Ausitn to the Phins, but if that happens, there maybe a brick going through my TV. Nothing against the kid, he has an impressive highlight reel............but so did Ted Ginn. If we didn't pickup Wallace, I'd be more open minded, but the immediate needs are O-line and DB. If Johnson isn't there, take Rhodes.

I agree, Johnson or Rhodes (Milliner if he slips) is the way to go. If Johnson is there at 12, great, take him, he's talented and fits an area of need. But if he isn't, we shouldn't go crazy. Because Rhodes will be there and he's equally talented and also fits an area of need. We have five picks in the first three rounds. As far as I'm concerned we could take one offensive tackle, one offensive guard, two cornerbacks, and a safety.

Personally, I'm hoping there is a run on quarterbacks, wideouts, and denfensive linemen in the first round this year. That way similar to Martin you'll see someone like Johnson or Fluker slide into the 2nd round. But if not it's no big deal. We can always sign Eric Winston to a one year deal and look for a RT next season.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:52 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
Personally, I'm hoping there is a run on quarterbacks, wideouts, and denfensive linemen in the first round this year. That way similar to Martin you'll see someone like Johnson or Fluker slide into the 2nd round. But if not it's no big deal. We can always sign Eric Winston to a one year deal and look for a RT next season.

Agree, it's a good position not to feel like you have to stretch and then keep your fingers crossed. We finally have a year, where we don't need to gamble on projects like Egnew. I expect we'll get impact players with our first four picks. If we need to bundle picks to move up then we're in a great position to do that.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:12 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

shularino wrote:

Ted Ginn? He was Darius Heyward Bey...straight line speed runner, that's it!
Tavon Austin is shifty with speed and plays KR, PR, RB & WR.

I just believe if you have an opportunity to get a player like that you do it.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:33 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Now I would love to draft Austin but I did do the research and out of the top 8 LT's I believe 6 were 1st rounders so I stand corrected.

8. Eugene Monroe, Jacksonville Jaguars (8th)[/b]
7. Michael Roos, Tennessee Titans (41st)
6. Andrew Whitworth, Cincinnati Bengals (55th)
5. Ryan Clady, Denver Broncos (12th)
4. Joe Thomas, Cleveland Browns (3rd)
3. Russell Okung, Seattle Seahawks (6th)
2. Joe Staley, San Francisco 49ers (28th)
1. Duane Brown, Houston Texans (26th)

Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I would love to add another big time WR, but more important is I dont want to see Tannehill on the ground before he can throw to any of them.
Drafting a OL is never exciting, but you know what is exciting? Seeing your QB have plenty of time to throw and not getting carted off the field.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

MdDolfan wrote:
Ted Ginn? He was Darius Heyward Bey...straight line speed runner, that's it!
Tavon Austin is shifty with speed and plays KR, PR, RB & WR.

I just believe if you have an opportunity to get a player like that you do it.

Nothing against Tavon, he just doesn't fit what we need with the first pick. Ginn is a shifty guy too, but he apparently got his bell rung too many times and developed gator arms.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:43 pm

shularino wrote:
Nothing against Tavon, he just doesn't fit what we need with the first pick. Ginn is a shifty guy too, but he apparently got his bell rung too many times and developed gator arms.

Ginn was never shifty, he was always a straight line, long strider. Ginn had a 5th gear, but because of his long stride, it took him a little longer to get to that 5th gear than say a Steve Smith.

Tavon Austin has much better lateral quickness and ability to change direction than Ginn ever did.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

He looked pretty shifty to me...........especially on that 2nd kickoff return against Jets. That's almost the definition of shifty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnpiU91e65M

Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:00 pm

shularino wrote:
He looked pretty shifty to me...........especially on that 2nd kickoff return against Jets. That's almost the definition of shifty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnpiU91e65M

When I think of shifty, I think of Barry Sanders stopping on a dime and completely changing direction. I think of evasive players who look tackled one second and are gone the next.

You cite one example, but one example does not an argument make. For that game against the Jets in which Ginn showed other-worldly ability for once... just once in his career, there were too many other kick returns in which he couldn't fake anybody out, too many plays in which he had the ball with some room to run and couldn't do anything more than get tackled easily or run out of bounds, too many plays in which his supposed 4.28 speed did not translate to functional football speed.

The guy could run a 40 dash and track great, in a straight line, but his strength was definitely not his agility or his ability to change direction.

Thus, I do not consider him a shifty player.

Leon Washington is the definition of shifty, not Ted Ginn. Ted Ginn is the definition of stiff but able to run fast in a straight line, like Darrius Heyward Bay.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:10 pm

Armando Salguero comparing Ted Ginn to Davone Bess in 2009.

Quote:
Ginn doesn't make too many people miss, as he's not as shifty.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:19 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

shularino wrote:

I think Tavon Austin is off the table right now, but this kid is light years ahead of Ted Ginn. The comparison is only in that both guys have great speed, and that is were it ends.

Right now I would think Bjoern Werner, Xavier Rhodes or one of Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper are in play at #12.

To get any of the OLT in the 1st round, Miami would have to trade up. Or they could wait and go into the 2nd round and get Terron Armstead of Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

Another option would be to trade back into the late 1st round to take Menelik Watson of Florida State.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Agree, it's a good position not to feel like you have to stretch and then keep your fingers crossed. We finally have a year, where we don't need to gamble on projects like Egnew. I expect we'll get impact players with our first four picks. If we need to bundle picks to move up then we're in a great position to do that.

If we can manage to sign Winston and Umenyora, then we will be able to draft a CB and go best player available from then on.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]