View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Long leaves a hole 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Long leaves a hole
So the natural thing to do is move Martin to LT and sign a RT? Also, Is Ellerbe and Wheeler going to cut it at MLB or do the Phins resign Dansby? I hated the fact they settled for Clemons. This team needs game changers on defense and it appears like they're settling for middle tier guys. They need a bookend complement to Wake. You still have Revis out there. Nails down the entire side of the field and thrusts a dagger into the Puke Green as well.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:09 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Long leaves a hole
NFLJunkie wrote:
So the natural thing to do is move Martin to LT and sign a RT?

Yeah, I don't feel too comfortable with this move.

Quote:
Also, Is Ellerbe and Wheeler going to cut it at MLB or do the Phins resign Dansby?

Why would they resign Dansby if they cut him and signed Ellerbe to a 5 year, $35 million deal?

You still have Revis out there.[/quote]

Revis is not out there. He is under contract with the Jets. Acquiring him would require a lot of compensation as well as a sizeable contract extension. There are too many good CB prospects in the draft to go giving up picks and wads of cap space for a guy that tore his ACL untouched last season...

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

There is nothing preventing us from drafting a tackle at #12, or even in the 2nd round to fill the RT position. If our staff views Martin as a LT (which I think they do) then he'll play LT and the rookie will play RT. While it's not ideal, it's what we're looking at unless we sign a free agent.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:27 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

As I've said in other threads, I think the smart move from a football and $ standpoint is sign Winston to a 1-year deal and draft a RT in the 2nd or 3rd round to develop behind him.

As for the other positions, I've heard that they're thinking of using Misi in the middle. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but the coaches apparently love his motor. Clemons is not the game changer we would like to have, but I think we will be going heavy on the DBs in the draft. I believe we will sign a veteran corner before the draft. I hope so, anyway. Last year I was sure we would acquire a WR to take Marshall's place. Um...

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:
As I've said in other threads, I think the smart move from a football and $ standpoint is sign Winston to a 1-year deal and draft a RT in the 2nd or 3rd round to develop behind him.

As for the other positions, I've heard that they're thinking of using Misi in the middle. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but the coaches apparently love his motor. Clemons is not the game changer we would like to have, but I think we will be going heavy on the DBs in the draft. I believe we will sign a veteran corner before the draft. I hope so, anyway. Last year I was sure we would acquire a WR to take Marshall's place. Um...

My preference is that we get lucky and draft Luke Joeckel. My realistic preference at #12 now is Lane Johnson or Xavier Rhodes. If we signed Winston and drafted Rhodes it would be a pretty solid plan in my opinion.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:07 pm

LT isn't a place you should save money and sign a 2nd tier guy....unless you really want to see your 2nd string QB get a lot of snaps

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:16 pm

Outside of Marshall who played poorly when he was healthy...Miami has no CBs. Signing a guy in FA like Grimes is almost a must. You'd think they would've made a pitch for Reed at safety.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
LT isn't a place you should save money and sign a 2nd tier guy....unless you really want to see your 2nd string QB get a lot of snaps

I don't disagree; but I think we have to see how Martin develops before we write him off. But have a plan B we pick up in the draft in addition to picking up Winston.

NFLJunkie wrote:
Outside of Marshall who played poorly when he was healthy...Miami has no CBs. Signing a guy in FA like Grimes is almost a must. You'd think they would've made a pitch for Reed at safety.

Again, I agree completely. I am more concerned about the CB position than any other right now. Marshall has played very well in the past, but he was supposed to be a nickel guy. That's a pretty specific skill set, and I hope we can use him that way.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:22 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

NFLJunkie wrote:
So the natural thing to do is move Martin to LT and sign a RT? Also, Is Ellerbe and Wheeler going to cut it at MLB or do the Phins resign Dansby? I hated the fact they settled for Clemons. This team needs game changers on defense and it appears like they're settling for middle tier guys. They need a bookend complement to Wake. You still have Revis out there. Nails down the entire side of the field and thrusts a dagger into the Puke Green as well.

This staff has shown that they have a plan.....so I believe the reason they low balled Long was they feel Martin is ready to play LT, the position he played all through college protecting the golden boy Luck. I believe we draft a RT late and sign a FA.
The draft is full of CB's fellas and let's not over react and think we have to have the best players at every position....every team has a weakness but as long as it's not a QB....you always have a chance. Keep adding weapons for RT by drafting Austin at #12!

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MdDolfan wrote:
so I believe the reason they low balled Long was they feel Martin is ready to play LT

It could also be they have better information on his health and don't trust him to last through a multi-year deal.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]