View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Brandon Gibson signed 
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

Post Brandon Gibson signed
ArmandoSalguero The Brandon Gibson deal is done. Three-year deal per @AdamHBeasley.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:58 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Brandon Gibson signed
I can't wait to play the jets!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Not a fan. Too premature to really judge, but cm'on. If we're going to sign this many receivers, the draft is pretty much going to add starters at CB, and the rest only for depth unless we do not resign Long or take care of the o-line in free agency. Brandon Gibson ran a freaking slower 40 time than Hartline, .10 seconds slower and that is quite a darn bit of difference. We may as well just use our picks to trade up for Milliner if we really want to improve.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:14 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I know two posters who are not happy with this. Gibson's hands are solid.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:

I am unhappy with it because we were better off drafting WR talent instead of wasting FA money on an AVERAGE guy. His best season is under 700 yards and lord knows the Rams didn't have a logjam of talent at the wideout spot.

If this is a future replacement for Bess, then they have lost their minds. Not to mention this offense needs a WR who's big enough to get the ball. We were sorely lacking that in the endzone last year.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:39 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

He is better than Marlon Moore!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

They could still draft a WR.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think it is a good signing. He is a 3rd wide receiver in the package and he runs good routes and has great hands. Miami before they are done will probably land a good college receiver too.

Be thankful they are trying to improve the team because they are. Not everyone will be an all-pro at their position, but just as importantly a piece that fits the winning puzzle they are building.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think it's hilarious that on the top two Rams online forums, not even a peep about this guy leaving in recent threads leading up to today.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:45 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Ernest Wilford 2.0

If they get rid of Bess for this, or pass on Austin because of it...Atrocious move.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:47 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
I think it's hilarious that on the top two Rams online forums, not even a peep about this guy leaving in recent threads leading up to today.

rams fans are probably unaware free agency has started. I mean, why would they care?

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rodneyfaile wrote:
rams fans are probably unaware free agency has started. I mean, why would they care?

Ya, THAT'S it. Image

They're over there pissed about not signing Long, I've read their boards. They never talk about Gibson. BTW he was 167th in YAC in 2012.

We passed up on drafting WR's that mattered last year. Looks like we very well may do that again this year. I don't get it.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:57 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I am ok with this move as long as it does not result in Bess leaving.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Is Brandon Gibson out worst WR? Should he be last on the depth chart?

No.

So it was a good signing, because someone else can be let go.

Don't be angry about the draft before it even starts. Don't complain about the WRs when we just signed two, one of them was MIKE WALLACE!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

Dphins4me wrote:

This. I think Brandon is a very solid WR and he is going to be a #3 or 4 for the Dolphins. People talking about what he did at St. Louis, but with as bad as the OL was for the Rams, I don't think to many folks were lighting it up.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:32 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

phinsfansc wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

This. I think Brandon is a very solid WR and he is going to be a #3 or 4 for the Dolphins. People talking about what he did at St. Louis, but with as bad as the OL was for the Rams, I don't think to many folks were lighting it up.

I agree, Tone. He had 2" and 12# on Bess, but they are both comparable receivers that work hard and have good hands.

As you can guess, RotoWorld is crapping on this move. Of course, this is from a fantasy perspective.

RotoWorld wrote:
The Jets' top free-agent target is taking his talents to South Beach. Gibson, 25, is the latest mediocre talent to join GM Jeff Ireland's burgeoning "Dream Team," and should be slotted into his ideal role of No. 3 receiver with Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline already in the fold. Gibson can move the chains and is a threat in the red zone, but offers nothing after the catch and is prone to mental mistakes. His 108 yards after the catch were an absurd 167th in the NFL last season. With just one 100-yard game in 54 career contests, Gibson won't be a major threat for fantasy value as the fourth or fifth option in Miami's pass game. Davone Bess may be done in Miami.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51199588/ ... ayer_news/

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think it is our time for Dolphin fans to celebrate instead of complain or questioning moves.

This team is improving & after years of anguish, we are headed into a better direction.

I like what Ireland/Philbin/Ross are doing. Move the seats in closer to give it the Orange Bowl effect and we are really on our way! : )

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:43 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

I am unhappy with it because we were better off drafting WR talent instead of wasting FA money on an AVERAGE guy. His best season is under 700 yards and lord knows the Rams didn't have a logjam of talent at the wideout spot.

If this is a future replacement for Bess, then they have lost their minds. Not to mention this offense needs a WR who's big enough to get the ball. We were sorely lacking that in the endzone last year.

What was Welkers best season before NE? Like Cook he has done little, but that signing would have been met with cheers

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

What was Welkers best season before NE? Like Cook he has done little, but that signing would have been met with cheers

Well said!! That's the spirit!!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:

Cook would've been met with cheers because of the potential of his skill sets in this offense paired with a burner on the outside in Wallace. You'd have a WR who needs safety help over the top and then a TE whom LB's can't cover who needs safety help over the top. Just the threat of it would keep defensive coordinators fits.

Gibson doesn't bring skill sets like that and anyone who actually saw Welker play in Miami knew it was the QB's holding him back. Gibson WISHES he could run routes and show the burst/hips like Welker.

You like to bag on Hartline for his lack of YAC ..... did you see Gibsons? I mean my God.

Finhead34 wrote:
I think it is our time for Dolphin fans to celebrate instead of complain or questioning moves.

Oh here we go with that stuff again.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

From CKParrothead:

Quote:
I've taken a LONG look at Brandon Gibson. I did four games of his on coaches tape and I also watched the YouTube video someone did of every ball thrown his way in 2012. So anyone suggesting that I don't like him because I've not watched enough of him is doing so out of sheer ignorance.

The GOOD:

1. Runs the comeback, fade-stop and back shoulder particularly well. These are important in this offense.
2. Capable of some eye popping catches at times, see the one-hander against Miami.
3. Still young at 25 years old, and could be ascending.

The BAD:

1. Ssslooooowwww. Watch the coach's tape and he's covered. A lot.
2. He suffers from vagina foot after the catch (VFAC). No RAC ability. Goes out of bounds and to the ground willingly.
3. Inconsistent hands and ability to finish. Fails to negotiate the sidelines at times. Other times fails to haul in the ball.
4. Practically useless on vertical routes and crossers, any route he has to run a good deal of distance, because he's ssssloooww.
5. Unorthodox and unbalanced stance at the line, too much weight on front leg. Leads to reduced ability to beat the jam.
6. Consistent awareness issues (situations, 1st down marker, clock, blitzes, miscommunications, not ready for snap, etc).
7. Usage suggests coaches may be aware of intelligence issues. Tried to keep things simple for him.
8. Gives away some of his in-breaking routes at times, not necessarily as good at slant routes or digs which are also important.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:26 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Finally, I thought you guys were getting mushy or something.... Its not phinfever if there is not some good back n forth lol...

Personally not really a guy I "wanted" but I am not going to cry myself to sleep over it either lol... Looks more of a depth move. Even with Hartline back, and adding Wallace we still need depth.

We will still draft the same I bet...

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
Finally, I thought you guys were getting mushy or something.... Its not phinfever if there is not some good back n forth lol...

Personally not really a guy I "wanted" but I am not going to cry myself to sleep over it either lol... Looks more of a depth move. Even with Hartline back, and adding Wallace we still need depth.

We will still draft the same I bet...

Exactly.

No need to start hating our draft on day three of free agency!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Oh here we go with that stuff again.

Yep, that's right Rock!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:08 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

This guy sucks, but so does Moore and Binns. Gibson is nothing more than a 4 or 5th WR. Wash if you ask me.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Mak, how about we determine if Gibson is going to actually suck until when the football season starts?

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:15 pm

Mak, how about we determine if Gibson is going to actually suck until when the football season starts?

Sure...;but I can only go on the past.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Of course, each of us view these transactions differently and that's cool. I was actually just giving Rock a hard time. I get it that Gibson doesn't have tremendous stats or speed, but the guy realistically is a 3rd or 4th option and he did come off a season where he caught a high percentage of balls thrown to him and I view him as a situational passing down receiver. he also has a good stat on 3rd down conversions if I am not mistaken.

Wallace, Hartline & Bess (if he sticks) should get the lion share. Oh well, let's hope for the best.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
Of course, each of us view these transactions differently and that's cool. I was actually just giving Rock a hard time. I get it that Gibson doesn't have tremendous stats or speed, but the guy realistically is a 3rd or 4th option and he did come off a season where he caught a high percentage of balls thrown to him and I view him as a situational passing down receiver. he also has a good stat on 3rd down conversions if I am not mistaken.

Wallace, Hartline & Bess (if he sticks) should get the lion share. Oh well, let's hope for the best.

I still have to see the contract numbers, but that makes 3 wideouts we've thrown money at in free agency. There stands a chance this impacts going after one in the draft and I don't want to see that happening after we avoided quality receivers in the last one. There's just so many guys who are younger with more upside. What Gibson does well is getting 1st downs. We've already got Hartline and Bess who do that. Keller will also be a good security blanket for it. What we're missing is the big, able bodied receiver to go get the football ....

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:30 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Brandon Gibson vs Dolphins last year:

7 receptions on 9 targets for 91 yards (avg 13 yds, longest was 22 yds).

So what if he ends up 4th on the depth chart. Do you want the Dolphins to only have 3 WRs? Somebody has to be 4th, and this guy has done more in games that the guys at the bottom of our depth chart.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rodneyfaile wrote:

So what if he ends up 4th on the depth chart. Do you want the Dolphins to only have 3 WRs? Somebody has to be 4th, and this guy has done more in games that the guys at the bottom of our depth chart.

Clyde Gates had 7 receptions for 82 yards (11.71 average) against us in a game. Should we want him back?

My point was why not draft a guy with bigger upside to be the 4th receiver? Not to mention we're supposedly still developing Matthews. What are they doing with Binns? So again, I'm slightly worried about how they're approaching the draft.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:40 pm

So what if he ends up 4th on the depth chart. Do you want the Dolphins to only have 3 WRs? Somebody has to be 4th, and this guy has done more in games that the guys at the bottom of our depth chart

Ummmm, that's what I said in a previous post.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:40 pm

point was why not draft a guy with bigger upside to be the 4th receiver?

Yep, a rookie would be our 4th and like Rock said, he would have upside to be #1 or #2.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:42 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Hope this doesn't mean the end of Bess. Also, where is the big body reciever for the redzone? If he is a depth guy, why not fill that need in the draft? Lol at vagina foot.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:44 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

Clyde Gates had 7 receptions for 82 yards (11.71 average) against us in a game. Should we want him back?

My point was why not draft a guy with bigger upside to be the 4th receiver? Not to mention we're supposedly still developing Matthews. What are they doing with Binns? So again, I'm slightly worried about how they're approaching the draft.

How about let Ireland go out and sign/draft guys, and Philbin can sort out the depth chart in camp. What if the guy you draft is a bust? What if Bess tears something? Might be glad you have him. The more the merrier at least at this point.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:46 pm
Profile WWW

Is Brandon Gibson an upgrade over our 3rd wide receiver from last year (take your pick of Armstrong, Gaffney, Moore etc)?

That's all that really matters, continuing to get better.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Is Brandon Gibson an upgrade over our 3rd wide receiver from last year (take your pick of Armstrong, Gaffney, Moore etc)?

That's all that really matters, continuing to get better.

Definitely better than Moore. However, we brought on Armstrong/Gaffney in-season so I don't think it's really fair to consider the impact they may or may not have had given more indeal circumstances.

However, I look at Gibson along their lines. Just meh, actually Gaffney has been the more consistent of the three. Why not take a shot at getting better via talent in the draft?

rodneyfaile wrote:
How about let Ireland go out and sign/draft guys, and Philbin can sort out the depth chart in camp. What if the guy you draft is a bust? What if Bess tears something? Might be glad you have him. The more the merrier at least at this point.

I could say "what if Gibson doesn't work out" too ya know. The point was selecting a player from a rich WR talent pool in this year's draft. I hope Ireland subscribes to your theory of the more the merrier, but as it stands we already have:

Wallace
Hartline
Bess
Gibson
Binns
Matthews
Fuller (Practice Squad)

With where our needs stand, I just have a hard time picturing Ireland actually grabbing a guy.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:57 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Why not take a shot at getting better via talent in the draft?

Did not realize the draft already happened...

Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:02 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Hope we were not planning on relying on those last three guys.

With 10 or 11 picks, I'm sure another WR will most likely be in camp.

I trust Philbin to evaluate! He knows what hes got.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Did not realize the draft already happened...

With our needs as they stand, do you expect them to use a draft pick where the actual talent is for WR's in this year's draft? Based on how we've handled free agency, it appears we have other needs to fill.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next