View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 'Fins Sign Dustin Keller 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post 'Fins Sign Dustin Keller
Quote:
The Dolphins have agreed to a one-year deal with tight end Dustin Keller, The Miami Herald has learned.

Keller’s brother, Damien, broke the news on Twitter.

He wrote: “What up DOLPHINS! Welcome the Kellers to Miami please! #phins”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/15/3 ... rylink=cpy

I love this move, and thought the one year deal was fantastic. This definitely makes for a low risk/high reward type deal. There is one less major hole to fill in the draft now. After reports of him leaving Miami, I was very skeptical of him signing. Great news.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:55 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Re: 'Fins Sign Dustin Keller
Finally we got that taken care of. Now on to the next

I hope we still draft a TE tho he may not have to come from the first or second round now. Am I the only one who thinks Jordan Reed could be a steal in the 4th round? I know its hard to envision after last years 4th round TE haha

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:04 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Always a little skeptical when we sign there whole family :)

“We all stink. We're 0-6, everybody stinks. We’ve all, in some way, shape or form have not been good enough I don’t care if it’s the front-desk secretary — she ain’t doing a good enough job.”-Reggie Bush

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:12 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Another pressing need checked off our list. I agree we should still draft a TE, maybe even in the first 2 rounds. I still wouldn't be opposed to trading up to the bottom of the 1st to get Eifert if he is still there.

As far as FA goes, I don't know how much room we have left (not knowing Keller's $ yet) but I would think we will still either get Long or Winston, and maybe a veteran pass-rusher (Freeney, please!). Of course, we may also sign Brandon Gibson. Sheesh what an off-season, and still with all those high picks to use yet as well!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:14 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

1 year 4 for Keller after Fasano got 4/16?

Lmao what a steal. Seriously, unbelievable move.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:18 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

1 year deal? PERFECT!

We can still draft a TE and get him ready to start in 2014, or maybe earlier. Dustin Keller fills a hole, adds a target for Tannehill, AND takes something away from the jets.

I got to say, I am loving Ireland this offseason.

GO DOLPHINS!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He'll play his butt off too since he will be looking for a longterm deal. Then franchise him...lol

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:41 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
He'll play his butt off too since he will be looking for a longterm deal. Then franchise him...lol

I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if that is the play. Give him one year to prove it and then offer a 3 year extension or deal next offseason. If he was awesome wants to bolt then simply franchise him and wait for his replacement to be ready.

It is a freaking joke that Fasano got a big deal and Keller didn't. But both the Rams and Chiefs screwed up the market.

I also bet Keller is sensing that this could be an offense where he produces TDs and it will help his value going into next year.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:46 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Don't get me wrong, I think Ireland is finally doing some good work this year, but I believe some of the credit has to go to Philbin. I think players want to play for him, they respect him. Maybe Irelands job was a little harder when Sparano and Dan Henning were coaching.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well....it means TE isn't a prime draft target. It is looking like a defensive draft now. The team needs corners and a pass rusher. Probably looking for OL, even if Long stays. A RB is also likely, since I think they are looking to upgrade over Thomas.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:58 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Good move. Before free agency I wanted Wallace and Keller. Too bad we didn't get a 2 year contract out of him.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Well....it means TE isn't a prime draft target. It is looking like a defensive draft now. The team needs corners and a pass rusher. Probably looking for OL, even if Long stays. A RB is also likely, since I think they are looking to upgrade over Thomas.

The Dolphins have 10 draft picks, and that's not counting the potential compensatory draft pick Miami might receive, which according to Omar Kelly, could be in the 4th round. Compensatory draft picks will be announced during the owner's meeting, which will be held in Arizona from March 17-20.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/nfl/sfl-dolphins-could-receive-an-early-compensatory-pick-in-2013-20130302,0,7386095.story

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

rodneyfaile wrote:
1 year deal? PERFECT!

We can still draft a TE and get him ready to start in 2014, or maybe earlier. Dustin Keller fills a hole, adds a target for Tannehill, AND takes something away from the jets.

GO DOLPHINS!

I agree 100% I think they plan to draft a TE and give him some time to get his feet.. This is a great move IMO! if he lights it up we resign him if not we bought some time to develop a draft pick.

Where the hell has our GM been for the last few seasons? all of a sudden he looks amazing....IMO anyway

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:15 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

rodneyfaile wrote:
1 year deal? PERFECT!

GO DOLPHINS!

I think this justifies us waiting until the 3rd and grabbing Escobar or Reed in the 4th! I would be happy with either...

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
1 year 4 for Keller after Fasano got 4/16?

Lmao what a steal. Seriously, unbelievable move.

so true. This guy was always a Dolphin killer. He's like a swiss army knife player.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

the Dolphins have been masterful in free agency. Haters can Hate, but we kicked ass.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Super excited we got Keller! Miami could still very well get a stellar tight end in the draft as well. This league has proven you can have multiple high end starting caliber Tight Ends. I don't believe the strategy is to draft a tight end late and predicting much earlier in the draft as you still need to plan long term and this is still a critical part of the equation.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
Super excited we got Keller! Miami could still very well get a stellar tight end in the draft as well. This league has proven you can have multiple high end starting caliber Tight Ends. I don't believe the strategy is to draft a tight end late and predicting much earlier in the draft as you still need to plan long term and this is still a critical part of the equation.

Could you imagine if Eifert or Ertz fell to us in the 2nd? Keller and Eifert/Ertz would be an excellent tandem.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Could you imagine if Eifert or Ertz fell to us in the 2nd? Keller and Eifert/Ertz would be an excellent tandem.

That would be stellar for sure! One can now wish and hope for a blue chip tight end out of the draft!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:

That would be stellar for sure! One can now wish and hope for a blue chip tight end out of the draft!

It all depends on if one goes in the 1st. If Eifert goes in the 1st then there is a good chance neither will be there. But I've seen Ertz going early to middle second in most mocks. If that's the case he'll be there most likely when we pick.

What I would love to see is us land Ertz and Lacy in the 2nd round. We get a power tightend and a power back. Miller and Keller would be our speed weapons, Ertz and Lacy would be our power guys.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I have said this a whole bunch in the thread already, but I am for drafting possibly a top notch corner with pick #12 OR Tyler Eifert OR Tavin Austin. However, if they do not choose Eifert or Austin with the first pick and IF Eifert or Austin fall into the 20's, I would love to see Miami trade back into the first round to get one or the other.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:27 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Imo Fasano is underrated but I am glad Miami got Keller. Looking for a more dynamic offense.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]