View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Mike Nolan, DC of the Denver Broncos now available 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Mike Nolan, DC of the Denver Broncos now available
Denver enters the defensive coordinator derby
Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2010 5:59 PM ET
In an offseason that has seen plenty of defensive coordinator jobs open up, another one has become available, in an unexpected location.

Jay Glazer of FOX reports that Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and defensive coordinator Mike Nolan have "mutually decided" to part ways.

The move comes after a season in which Nolan's presence increased the team's performance from No. 29 to No. 7 in total defense.

The reason for the separation isn't known (yet), but the development puts Nolan in play for vacancies in Miami, Buffalo, and Chicago.

Nolan, who uses a base 3-4 scheme, would be a good fit with the Dolphins.

He also could be a fit in Arizona, if coach Ken Whisenhunt decides to dump Bill Davis after the Cardinals surrendered 90 points in two postseason games -- and if Whisenhunt opts to embrace the 3-4 approach used by his former team, the Steelers.

In Arizona, Nolan would be returning the the NFC West, where he served as head coach of the 49ers from 2005 through the first seven games of 2008.

Permalink 1 Comments Latest stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Denver Broncos, Latest News and Rumors, NFL Mobile Exclusives - Rumors, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories

This is from ProFootballtalk.com.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:49 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Mike Nolan, DC of the Denver Broncos now available
It appears that Nolan is atop the list now. My list anyway.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:56 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

hypocritex wrote:
It appears that Nolan is atop the list now. My list anyway.

I agree. He did a nice job with Denver's D.

Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Vontae Davis.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:03 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

NFL.com confirms it. I guess he's tops on my list as well.

Quote:
Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and the Broncos have agreed to part ways after only one season together, NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi confirmed through a league source.

Nolan’s Denver defense ranked seventh overall in the NFL, allowing just 315 yards per game, but it was 26th against the run (128.7 ypg). It ranked third against the pass (186.3 ypg).

The Broncos (8-8) lost eight of their last 10 games to miss the playoffs this season.

Nolan joined Josh McDaniels‘ first Broncos staff last January, just months after he was fired as the 49ers’ coach halfway through the 2008 season. Nolan previously served as the defensive coordinator for the Ravens, Jets, Redskins and Giants.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/18/defensi ... g-broncos/

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

How long was he the DC in Baltimore? They were a very aggressive and an attacking D under him. Does he have any ties to Parcells or Sparano?

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:09 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I would go after Nolan hard core! He is a very good DC and the only knock on him is that he is sometimes too much a discaplinarian. Tony and the Tuna can keep him in line and bring our defence to a very agressive level. Get it done ASAP!

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Mike Nolan has been linked to more than one coaching tree. He was a defensive coordinator for Brian Billick (who is part of the Sid Gillman/Bill Walsh coaching tree), Al Groh (who is part of the Bill Parcells coaching tree), and Norv Turner (part of the Jimmy Johnson tree). However, Nolan is most directly related to Dan Reeves. Reeves brought Nolan with him from Denver (where he was linebackers coach) to be the New York Giants defensive coordinator in 1993. Nolan excelled at the position and his success served as a springboard for later success with other teams.

From wiki

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ravens D in 2002 ranked 22nd
Ravens D in 2003 ranked 3rd

Jets D in 2000 ranked 10th

Redskins 1999 ranks 30th
Redskins 1998 24th
Redskins 1997 16th

Giants 1996 14th
Giants 1995 17th
Giants 1994 11th
Giants 1993 5th

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

McDaniels' ego getting in the way again. That kid is a freakin idiot. I hope Pat Bowlen realizes his mistake and lets him go after this coming season.

As a Miami fan though? YES! I think we should snatch him up.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

competing with NE and NYG...

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:55 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

DENVER -- The Denver Broncos and defensive coordinator Mike Nolan have agreed to part ways.

Nolan becomes the third member of coach Josh McDaniels' inaugural staff to depart following a disappointing 8-8 finish. Offensive line coach Rick Dennison left for Houston's staff and longtime running backs coach Bobby Turner was reunited with Mike Shanahan in Washington. Both Dennison and Turner were holdovers from the Shanahan era.

"I can't say anything other than Josh and I mutually agreed to part ways," Nolan said on Monday, according to The Denver Post.

Miami already has requested an interview with Nolan, sources close to the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Nolan, who engineered the Broncos' switch to a 3-4 defensive alignment, was McDaniels' first hire. McDaniels lined up Nolan to help revamp what had been a deplorable defense.

McDaniels said in a statement released Monday by the team: "I have great respect for Mike and wish him success in the future."

Bag him and tag him! It seems we will be the first to interview him and since NE, AZ and GB are interested let's not let him leave town. PLEASE!!!

Oh! I can't forget about :jests:
LET'S GO COLTS!!!!

Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:02 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
UPDATE: There’s a very good chance that Nolan will become the Dolphins’ defensive coordinator, a league source told NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora. The Dolphins were one of the teams interested in Nolan while he was with Denver, according to the source. Also, Dolphins executive Bill Parcells is a 3-4 defense guy, and Nolan is scheduled to quickly interview with the team.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/18/defensi ... g-broncos/

WORD

Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MdDolfan wrote:
DENVER -- The Denver Broncos and defensive coordinator Mike Nolan have agreed to part ways.

Nolan becomes the third member of coach Josh McDaniels' inaugural staff to depart following a disappointing 8-8 finish. Offensive line coach Rick Dennison left for Houston's staff and longtime running backs coach Bobby Turner was reunited with Mike Shanahan in Washington. Both Dennison and Turner were holdovers from the Shanahan era.

"I can't say anything other than Josh and I mutually agreed to part ways," Nolan said on Monday, according to The Denver Post.

Miami already has requested an interview with Nolan, sources close to the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Nolan, who engineered the Broncos' switch to a 3-4 defensive alignment, was McDaniels' first hire. McDaniels lined up Nolan to help revamp what had been a deplorable defense.

McDaniels said in a statement released Monday by the team: "I have great respect for Mike and wish him success in the future."

Bag him and tag him! It seems we will be the first to interview him and since NE, AZ and GB are interested let's not let him leave town. PLEASE!!!

Oh! I can't forget about :jests:
LET'S GO COLTS!!!!

Since when was Green Bay in the running for a D coordinator?

Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:06 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Green Bay is not looking for a DC as they have Dom Capers in place already. Green Bay was ranked 2nd in the league in defense.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:09 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yea... could have been first with a little No-Doze on game day lol

Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Man, if Miami can land Nolan it automatically makes them a real contender. I really hope this happens.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:11 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Since when was Green Bay in the running for a D coordinator?

Oops My Bad!
Sorry I was jumping the gun after Arizona put a 50 burger on them!

Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:19 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

OMG OMG OMG THIS IS SO EXCITING!!!!

I dont know why but I feel so pumped up about getting this guy... he's the real deal and our defense would be instantly upgraded just from a coach!!!

He took guys that were subpar on our roster last year and made them look like gems in Denver lol... we gotta have him!!

Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]