View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Which WR Best Fits This Offense 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Which WR Best Fits This Offense
I don't want this to be an endless discussion of Patterson's raw talent versus Austin's explosive playmaking ability. My curiousity is which WR(s) are the best fit in Philbin's WC offense.

Names I've read in the past are Keenan Allen and Quinton Patton based on their route running, sudden breaks and reliable hands. I've heard a few guys in here dismiss Allen because he gets tackled too quickly ala Hartline. After watching some video on him I blame that on the QB and not his speed, but I see the other side of the argument too.

I confess I don't watch enough college ball to be considered an expert so I ask people here, based on the guy's ability to thrive in a WC offense, which receivers are the best fit? It might help get people thinking who would be a value pick in the 2nd or middle rounds.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:01 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: Which WR Best Fits This Offense
jammer wrote:
I don't want this to be an endless discussion of Patterson's raw talent versus Austin's explosive playmaking ability. My curiousity is which WR(s) are the best fit in Philbin's WC offense.

Names I've read in the past are Keenan Allen and Quinton Patton based on their route running, sudden breaks and reliable hands. I've heard a few guys in here dismiss Allen because he gets tackled too quickly ala Hartline. After watching some video on him I blame that on the QB and not his speed, but I see the other side of the argument too.

I confess I don't watch enough college ball to be considered an expert so I ask people here, based on the guy's ability to thrive in a WC offense, which receivers are the best fit? It might help get people thinking who would be a value pick in the 2nd or middle rounds.

A good WR in the West Coast offense is a solid route runner that is good with the ball after the catch and get the YAC, aka yards after catch.

Obviously Patterson has a size advantage over Austin, but Patterson seems to struggle to learn offenses. He has been at JUCO and the one year at Tennessee and has not really taken off. Austin has been at West Virginia just ballin out, and his versatility speaks to his talent.

He played both WR and RB for the Mountaineers this year and just killed Oklahoma from the RB position in the game in Morgantown.

I think Keenan Allen would fit well into a West Coast Offense, but the explosiveness that you see out of Patterson and Austin is something I don't see consistently with Allen. I have to be fair and say I have not seen Allen play nearly as much as Austin and Patterson.

The thing I like about Tavon is that you can line him up at slot and know he is going to be HELL to handle, but he has the pure speed to line up at WR and get behind the defense. He has tremendous FOOTBALL speed, not only timed speed. He more polished and ready to go at this point, while Cordarrelle is still very RAW.

I will be coming out with a mock draft on Sunday and Tavon will be my pick. That being said, I would not be mad if Patterson ended up the pick.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:22 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

I'd only take Allen at 42, and that's only if you've added Wallace. Allen is just a big possession receiver.

Patton definitely fits. Robert Woods is also a fit. Terrence Williams is a little stiff, but I like him as a scheme fit as well in a Jordy Nelson role; bigger receiver but makes plays down the field.

Those would be the most likely Round 2 picks, to me, at WR, based on how the fit.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:21 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:
I'd only take Allen at 42, and that's only if you've added Wallace. Allen is just a big possession receiver.

Patton definitely fits. Robert Woods is also a fit. Terrence Williams is a little stiff, but I like him as a scheme fit as well in a Jordy Nelson role; bigger receiver but makes plays down the field.

Those would be the most likely Round 2 picks, to me, at WR, based on how the fit.

I agree with you on both Robert Woods and Patton as well as Terrance Williams. I definitely think DeAndre Hopkins fits the mode as well.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:00 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Draft Winds Simon Clancy was responding to a similar question on Twitter. Lists Patterson and Austin as his 2 favorite but if we're talking 2nd round or later he says Patton and Woods are ideal fits

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:18 am

jammer wrote:
Draft Winds Simon Clancy was responding to a similar question on Twitter. Lists Patterson and Austin as his 2 favorite but if we're talking 2nd round or later he says Patton and Woods are ideal fits

Yup. I'm in agreement with him. Both good route runners, can play any WR position, good hands.

I like Patton more than Woods, but I think they're both serious options at 42.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:12 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Hopkins and Woods would be perfect fits

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]