View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 My favorite mid-late draft prospects for Miami 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post My favorite mid-late draft prospects for Miami
Put this together for the blog for tomorrow.

Quote:
Here are some of my favorite mid to late round prospects:

Michael Ford, RB, LSU - Ford was lost in the shuffle at LSU and wasn't given a tremendous amount of carries. Still, I always thought he was one of the more underutilized RB's in college football. Ford runs with good balance and power for his size, but has a good amount of burst as well. He has also good vision and very much has the mentality of a "get north as quick as you can" tailback. His change of direction and jump-cuts aren't sexy, but I think in a zone-stretch scheme like Miami wants to employ, his decisive one-cut running style would fit well.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Brandon McGee, CB, Miami - McGee fits the stereotype of a modern day UM prospect to a T. Very talented, and very raw. McGee was inconsistent throughout his career at Miami, but when I went back and watched a few of his games after the season, I saw an extremely promising corner. To me, he's a slightly longer, stronger version of Sam Shields. I like him a lot. He's fast, has very good closing speed, has smooth hips and light feet, and is physical in both coverage and the run game...He has the makings of a good CB if he's developed well. I had him as a 2nd-3rd round talent back in January when I first started to do work on him; at the time the highest grade I found for him was a 6th-7th round grade. Right now the hype is that he'll be gone in early Day 3 and I'm afraid his "stock" will continue to rise...Or in other words, scouts actually view him the way I did, as a 2nd-3rd round pick, and the public will finally catch on as we get closer to the draft. I think anywhere in Day 3, McGee is a steal.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Chris Jones, DT, Bowling Green - I don't see Jones becoming a super star, but I do think he's undervalued as a supposed late round pick (possibly even an undrafted free agent). He was highly productive in college, racking up 12.5 sacks this past season. He's quick off the ball for a 300+ pound lineman and is relentless in his rush. He's also strong at the point of attack, and I love his feet. I think he could prove to be a nice rotational player at the next level and a great value late in the draft.

Tavarres King, WR, Georgia - I was surprised when King only measured in at 6'0, 189 pounds at the combine, because he seems to play bigger than that on the field. King uses his very good speed, ridiculously long arms (33 inches), and size well to make plays down the field (averaged over 22 yards per catch this past season). With that said, he is more of a vertical threat than a WCO-type receiver, but in the late rounds, I think you throw scheme fit out the window and draft talent.

Terrence Brown, CB, Stanford - Brown isn't on anybody's radar right now, and I'm perplexed as to why. I'm going to assume scouts think more highly of him than the general public. He may not have blazing speed, but he's tough, physical, has good ball skills, good change of direction ability, and his speed is certainly good enough. Early last season against USC he played man to man against Robert Woods and Marqise Lee all day, and played tremendously. Brown had a couple of bogus pass interferences called, but he was extremely tight in his coverage all day. Brown was responsible for both Matt Barkley interceptions; the one Brown intercepted, he had played press man against Lee, bumped him off his route (a back shoulder fade, or curl...he was so physical I can't even tell what Lee was trying to run), turned around and made a great play on the ball, leaping in front of Lee. On the 2nd, he was so physical with Robert Woods that Woods gave up the route, and Barkley threw an easy interception to the safety who was coming over the top, with Woods nowhere near the football. Brown fits the mold of a Jeff Ireland corner as well; a lot of experience in man coverage, big and physical.

Zac Stacy, RB, Vanderbilt - I have a thing for SEC running backs. To me, if you look like you have good burst, power and are productive in the SEC as a RB, you can be productive in the NFL. Stacy has good power and balance; he always seems to break at least one tackle on every run. Stacy also has really nice acceleration and change of direction, and puts a lot of effort into his pass protection. He runs very hard and downhill, and I think similar to Ford would make a nice scheme fit selection later in the draft.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:30 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: My favorite mid-late draft prospects for Miami
Mike James is a kid I like late out of Miami. Not great in anything, but solid in all aspects of being a RB, including doing a very good job in pass protection.

Brandon McGee is a kid with nice size and speed that has not played up to his potential. Sam Shields was that type of guy as well coming out of Miami.

A kid I would love to take a flier on is Knile Davis of Arkansas. He was a 1,200 yard back 2 years ago, but then got hurt. He came back I think mid way thru last year but did not look like the same back.

He blew it up at the combine, and if he get's back to the form of that 1,000 yard rusher, you have a big, strong and fast RB.

Zac Stacy is a solid little back.

Mike Ford has nice speed, but for a man of his size, he likes to take everything wide.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think Knile is going to fly up into the top 75 picks. I hope we can get McGee in the 3rd.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:41 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
I think Knile is going to fly up into the top 75 picks. I hope we can get McGee in the 3rd.

I know he blew up at the combine swerve, but he was a shadow of that 1,000 yard back from a few years ago. He does have great size and speed though, so we will see.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

I know he blew up at the combine swerve, but he was a shadow of that 1,000 yard back from a few years ago. He does have great size and speed though, so we will see.

totally unproven guys rise high every year. Stephen Hill did nothing in college and got drafted early purely on ability. At least Davis has some proven history. I actually think he's the most talented of the backs. But he got derailed by injuries.

Quote:
Arkansas RB Knile Davis ran "unofficial" forty times of 4.30 and 4.31 at the NFL Scouting Combine before being deemed with an "official" 4.37.
Much like the rest of Arkansas' offensive skill-position players, Davis was highly productive in 2011 before falling off the map last year, primarily due to injuries and landing in the coaching staff's doghouse. Davis is a rocked-up 227 pounds, though, and moving as fast as he did in the forty is uncommon. He's now a candidate to rise up draft boards, even if he doesn't play that fast. Feb 24 - 2:18 PM

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:

His lack of production last year & many fumbles will play a bigger role than his 40 time.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:23 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

His lack of production last year & many fumbles will play a bigger role than his 40 time.

He's got talent but doesn't have very good vision and runs kind of high. I'm not sure he's a Day 1 or 2 RB.

phinsfansc wrote:
Mike James is a kid I like late out of Miami. Not great in anything, but solid in all aspects of being a RB, including doing a very good job in pass protection.

You can never have too many UM backs. I came this close to putting him on my list, Tony.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]