View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 AFC East teams fighting for Cordarrelle Patterson? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post AFC East teams fighting for Cordarrelle Patterson?
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... -patterson

Quote:
Every team in the AFC East could use help at wide receiver.

The Miami Dolphins and New York Jets lack dynamic players on the outside. The Buffalo Bills will lose depth with David Nelson and Donald Jones heading for free agency. And the New England Patriots, at the end of the first round, need to get younger.

Could the Dolphins, Bills and Jets all have their eye on Cordarrelle Patterson? The University of Tennessee receiver wowed scouts this weekend with his freakish athleticism and fast 40 time of 4.42. Patterson has been linked to Miami, Buffalo and New York in various mock drafts, and he only improved his stock at the NFL combine.

The Bills, Jets and Dolphins are only four picks apart in April’s draft. Buffalo has the first pick in the division at No. 8 overall. New York is next with the No. 9 pick and Miami holds the No. 12 selection.

Patterson is in play for all three teams. It could simply be a matter of which team is willing to jump on the draft’s top receiver first.

Buffalo currently is the only team with a No. 1 receiver. Steve Johnson has had three straight 1,000-yard seasons and is Buffalo's main option. The Bills also drafted T.J. Graham in the third round last year and has plenty of other needs to fill with the eighth pick.

The Jets don't have much around their quarterback. Starting tight end Dustin Keller is a free agent, as well as 1,000-yard tailback Shonn Greene. Veteran receiver Santonio Holmes is returning from a season-ending foot injury, but the Jets have to hope Holmes didn't lose a step. New York also drafted inconsistent receiver Stephen Hill last year in the second round.

Miami is perhaps the most needy team for a wide receiver. The Dolphins must build around quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Right now the top receiver under contract is slot player Davone Bess, and that’s not good enough. The Dolphins will be aggressive in free agency and go after receivers like Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings. However, they must decide if they will spend more money to bring back a player like Brian Hartline or look to the draft if Patterson is available.

With the exception of the Patriots, no AFC East team had a passing offense ranked higher than 25th in 2012. This is a division in need of dynamic receivers, which means Patterson is a player to watch for nearly every AFC East team.

another reason for taking him is so we don't have to get torched by him twice a year

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:39 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: AFC East teams fighting for Cordarrelle Patterson?
"The Jets don't have much around their quarterback."

Ummm....just exactly who is their QB?

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:58 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Yay... another Patterson thread.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:26 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Couple things:

1) The Jets and Bills pick before Miami, so how would us taking him at 12 prevent them from getting him?
2) Drafting/signing a player because one of your rivals might is an absolute no-no.

I think Buffalo is actually a good spot for him. They need some size on offense, and don't have any WR's to get excited about to compliment Stevie Johnson.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:56 am

Phins Rock wrote:
Couple things:

1) The Jets and Bills pick before Miami, so how would us taking him at 12 prevent them from getting him?
2) Drafting/signing a player because one of your rivals might is an absolute no-no.

Simple, you trade your entire draft for him because you only see his type of talent once a century and he will score on every play. So you don't need any other players once you get him.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:57 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Personally, I think we'll address WR through FA and our first pick will go to CB or OL. It seems a pipe dream that Dee Milliner will fall to no. 12, but CB Xavier Rhodes will likely to be available. Taking Rhodes at 12 is a bit earlier than he's projected to go, so I'm not sure that's our best use of our No. 1 pick.

I know we're tired of high draft picks going to OL, but with Long gone and the way we struggled last year, it still remains an obvious need. Both Eric Fisher (Central Michigan) and Lane Johnson (Oklahoma) have the strength and speed to be immediate high impact players.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:48 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Unless the Dolphins or Jets are willing to trade up for this kid, this isn't much of a fight. He'll go to the Bills if they want him. Personally, I'd rather have Hunter, the other big receiver from Tennessee. He's bigger, just as fast, and way more productive during his career with the Vols.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:26 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Yay... another Patterson thread.

Yay, another sarcastic, unproductive post

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Couple things:

Simple, you trade your entire draft for him because you only see his type of talent once a century and he will score on every play. So you don't need any other players once you get him.

I've always liked the kind of "once every generation" players that come along every year.

The NBA had like 7 "once every decade" players back in the 90s.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This maybe a deep draft for WR, but no one is jumping out as a high 1st Rd draft pick. This maybe one of those drafts where you get some real diamonds in later rounds.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Couple things:

:)

Rich - dont the Dolphins draft a guy like that every year.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:16 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

It's hard for a rookie WR to come right in and be productive. If they do, they usually hit the cliche rookie wall. SIgn Wallce and have the Bills and Jets draft CP. Wallace is proven big play NFL WR. Draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd and take a DE in the 1st.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Be careful with falling in love with Patterson. From the street here in Tenn. It seems he had a difficult time learning the O at UT.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:28 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Dphins4me wrote:
Be careful with falling in love with Patterson. From the street here in Tenn. It seems he had a difficult time learning the O at UT.

Cordarelle is definitely RAW. I don't think there is a question that he would be a work in progress. Huge talent, but needs work.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I don't want Patterson for one year. I want him for 10 years. I'm not expecting miracles his rookie year. But he could score receiving and rushing touchdowns out of the gate. Could use him on returns. Get creative with him, let him do his thing in the open field. He's a great YAC guy for Tannehill. He has better long-term potential than Mike Wallace who is viewed as a "1-trick pony".

I don't want a run of the mill corner or an offensive lineman at this pick. We've got plenty of picks to fill other needs. Take the best talent available. as we've all been screaming "WE NEED PLAYMAKERS" this team doesn't have any.

Last edited by swerve13 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:54 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:

I'm not a fan of drafting him but I will say that for a guy who didn't know the offense very well, he did pretty good

Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:08 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

did you guys hear the Pittsburgh Tribune reporter this morning on NFL AM? He is also hearing that Miami is Wallace's likely destination.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:09 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:
did you guys hear the Pittsburgh Tribune reporter this morning on NFL AM? He is also hearing that Miami is Wallace's likely destination.

Most put us at the top of the list. However the reason for that is because we need a WR and we have money....

Wallace will play for the team who will pay him the most. He turned down a good contract deal to stay in Pitt, so he is in it for the money.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:11 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Couple things:

I didn't realize Mike Ditka was a closet Fins fan. :) :) :)

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:22 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This kid is probably the 6th or 7th best receiver in the draft in my opinion. That doesn't mean he won't wind up being the best when it's all said and done. But right now, he's not even in the top five in my opinion. His production is next to nothing and he's only played one year. Patterson is a physical freak, but no more of a physical freak than Justin Hunter his teammate. If I had to choose between Patterson and Allen in the 1st, I'd take Allen. If I had to choose between Patterson in the 1st and Williams or Hunter in the 2nd, I'd take Williams or Hunter. The Dolphins need a playmaker that is going to be able to have an impact right away with that first pick. Guys like Patterson are a good value if you can find them in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round, but not with the 12th overall. If draft evaluators see the lack of production and how raw he is, and he falls to the 2nd round, then I say he's a safe pick, but at 12th overall I say no way.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:

So was Deion Sanders, before he signed with Dallas. It will come down to what Miami offers to what someone else offers. He will not come to Miami for the weather.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

well i just read that the Cleveland media does not believe they will spend large on a receiver so our competition is not great for the top receiver.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:42 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I certainly don't feel comfortable breaking the bank for Mike Wallace.

While I wouldn't call him a "one trick pony".. I just don't see that dominant WR that you would pay 60 mill to. He's not a Fitzgerald, Megatron, Julio Jones, Roddy White or even an AJ Green... so why pay him like one?

I understand the need for talent but I just have this gut feeling he's going to be a Free Agency disaster.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:14 am

IamPZ wrote:
I certainly don't feel comfortable breaking the bank for Mike Wallace.

While I wouldn't call him a "one trick pony".. I just don't see that dominant WR that you would pay 60 mill to. He's not a Fitzgerald, Megatron, Julio Jones, Roddy White or even an AJ Green... so why pay him like one?

I understand the need for talent but I just have this gut feeling he's going to be a Free Agency disaster.

I wouldn't say disaster, but I agree.

I'm only paying that type of money for elite WR's. Outside of 10 plays a year, he's not close to elite. Granted, those 10 plays and the threat of those 10 plays to open things up are what you are paying for, but I get the feeling that people's expectations will be way too high. He's not going to be as consistently dominant, or even close to it, as Marshall was in-between the 20's.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]