View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Steven Jackson is a Free Agent 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Steven Jackson is a Free Agent
I'd forget about resigning Reggie and try to bring in Jackson. He's still a bruising runner and could be a great mentor and compliment to Miller.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8990244/report-steven-jackson-st-louis-rams-plans-void-contract

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:34 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Steven Jackson is a Free Agent
For the right price, why not? He can pound the ball, but he is also injury prone.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Actually, Jackson is probably the most reliable Veteran RB the NFL has seen in a long time. He's rushed for over 1,000 yds each year since 2005 and only missed 2 games in the last 4 years.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yes, let's get hella old at the position.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Lamar Miller, Daniel Thomas, Marcus Thigpen and Jonas Gray.

That is the backfield plus maybe a late round pick.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Yes, let's get hella old at the position.

Sexton, try making a post that isn't a backhanded slap at someone's opinion.

My point is the following...........

Considering the needs at OL, CB, WR and TE............we're not going to fill all the holes in this year's draft. Even with 9 picks, we may only get 4 or 5 players that stick.

We're going into 2013 looking for a young unproven Lamar Miller to lead the pack, with no reliable backup. It would be great if Thomas turns it around, but he's injury prone and took a serious step back in 2012. A guy like Jackson gives us some security for the next couple of years, plus at 6-2, 240 he's a good compliment to Miller. He can pound the rock in short yardage/redzone and still has break away speed to hit a big run.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:16 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
Sexton, try making a post that isn't a backhanded slap at someone's opinion.

My point is the following...........

Considering the needs at OL, CB, WR and TE............we're not going to fill all the holes in this year's draft. Even with 9 picks, we may only get 4 or 5 players that stick.

We're going into 2013 looking for a young unproven Lamar Miller to lead the pack, with no reliable backup. It would be great if Thomas turns it around, but he's injury prone and took a serious step back in 2012. A guy like Jackson gives us some security for the next couple of years, plus at 6-2, 240 he's a good compliment to Miller. He can pound the rock in short yardage/redzone and still has break away speed to hit a big run.

It's not a backhanded slap.

I'm just conveying my disagreement with the idea of signing a guy who's old and has taken a beating as the workhorse back over the last 9 years.

When I see people mention a name like Steven Jackson, it lets me know they're concentrating soley on the name and not the reality. He won't take dysmal money to come play here behind Lamar Miller. Our money is better spent elsewhere, specifically the passing game since that's what this offense is trying to make it's foundation.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Sexton..........you were doing just fine......then you had to throw in another backhanded slap,,,,,,,

"When I see people mention a name like Steven Jackson, it lets me know they're concentrating soley on the name and not the reality."

No, I'm not just concentrating on the name.....I've watched him play and analyzed his stats. Like I said previously in this thread, he only missed 2 games in the last 4 years and has run for over 1,000 yds for 8 straight years. In the last 4 years he has 19 TD's with only 4 fumbles (0 last year). That's pretty impressive considering the Rams have been pretty lousy the last 4 years, winning a total of only 18 games.

Miller showed promise last year, but no one has appointed him the starter, so a RB like Jackson could very well carry the load.

I agree Jackson is not going to play for chump change. Bush got paid $5 mil a year for the last 2 years. I would be comfortable making a similar offer to Jackson.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:49 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Too old. He's 30 so it's all downhill from here.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

shularino wrote:

Miller showed promise last year, but no one has appointed him the starter, so a RB like Jackson could very well carry the load.

I agree Jackson is not going to play for chump change. Bush got paid $5 mil a year for the last 2 years. I would be comfortable making a similar offer to Jackson.

Miller is going to be given the opportunity to "carry the load" as the feature back in 2013. If Miami isn't comfortable letting Miller carry the load they will resign Bush. Miami may grab an inexpensive free agent back to back up Miller, but they are not going to sign a 30 year old to come in and be the feature back and take away carries from Miller. This team is being built on youth to win in the next couple of years. 30 year old rb's don't fit that plan.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Lamar Miller, Daniel Thomas, Marcus Thigpen and Jonas Gray.

That is the backfield plus maybe a late round pick.

I believe it was Ireland and Philbin that called Jonas Grey's rookie year on the practice squad a "redshirt" season. I think this year we'll see him make the team and possibly get some carries if Miller or Thomas get hurt.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
Sexton..........you were doing just fine......then you had to throw in another backhanded slap,,,,,,,

"When I see people mention a name like Steven Jackson, it lets me know they're concentrating soley on the name and not the reality."

It's not a slap. It's the truth. I see it all the time in the off-season when it comes to big names who are past their primes.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Yeah Shaun Alexander is a perfect example of the mileage all of a sudden catching up at their body. One year he had 1880 yards and 27 touchdowns then next year he plummeted.

Steven Jackson could very well be headed that way as his amount of carries in his career has been a ton and Miami should be leery of that.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm not saying Jackson is in his prime...........when he was in his prime he was the best RB in the NFL. Anyway it appears, several of the playoff teams from last year are interested in bringing him in, with the Falcons being the front runners.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:16 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

shularino wrote:
I'm not saying Jackson is in his prime...........when he was in his prime he was the best RB in the NFL. Anyway it appears, several of the playoff teams from last year are interested in bringing him in, with the Falcons being the front runners.

They are in a good position to bring him in as they are playoff teams. Teams that are close & not rebuilding year after year after year ......

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:23 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Jackson is an upgrade over DT as of right now. FA and the draft could change that. I'm not a name guy Rock and yes, i do understand older Rbs. DT sucks...

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]