View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:22 am



Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster 
Author Message
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8390
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
Quote:
1. Jake Long, Offensive Tackle

Not exactly the kind of season you want to have in a contract year. Long battled injury and looked a long way off the elite tackle who had graced the league in his first three campaigns as a Dolphin. Missing time didn’t help, but the problems started a long way before that with Long finishing only 21st in our Pass Blocking Efficiency metric. Coupled with a negative run blocking grade, Long was never going to live up to the big cap hit.

2012 Cap Hit: $12.8m
2012 Performance Based Value: $1.2m
Value Differential: -$11.6m

2. Karlos Dansby, Linebacker

This isn’t a reflection on the play of Dansby, but rather the pay afforded to him. Indeed Dansby would finish the year our fifth-ranked middle linebacker with his work in run defense particularly impressive. But for a linebacker to be worth that kind of cap hit you really need to see them doing a lot more.

2012 Cap Hit: $11.3m
2012 Performance Based Value: $7m
Value Differential: -$4.3m

3. Reggie Bush, Running Back

Bush failed to turn his 227 carries into a 1,000 yard season and he failed to justify his big $6 million cap hit. His fumbles (four of them) were a big problem and he didn’t have the sort of impact in the passing game that would make it impossible for the Dolphins to let him hit free agency. At his core he remains the same back who goes searching for space to do his best work.

2012 Cap Hit: $6m
2012 Performance Based Value: $1.7m
Value Differential: -$4.3m

4. Tony McDaniel, DT – Cap: $4.2m, PBV: $825k, Value Differential: -$3.3m

5. Matt Moore, QB – Cap: $3.8m, PBV: $700k, Value Differential: -$3.1m

6. Richard Marshall, CB – Cap: $3.7m, PBV: $825k, Value Differential: -$2.9m

7. Jared Odrick, DE – Cap: $3.1m, PBV: $940k, Value Differential: -$2.2m

8. Paul Soliai, DT – Cap: $4.1m, PBV: $2.2m, Value Differential: -$1.9m

9. Randy Starks, DT – Cap: $5m, PBV: $3.1m, Value Differential: -$1.9m

10. Richie Incognito, OG – Cap: $4.9m, PBV: $3.8m, Value Differential: -$1.1m

(* Denotes player missed significant portion of time through injury)


https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -dolphins/

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:12 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2692
Location: MA.
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
Go get another middle linebacker


Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:16 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1144
Location: Charlotte, NC
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
Hopefully, they can rework Dansby's contract..............he's been an extremely good signing. Considering our other needs, I don't think releasing him is a viable option.


Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:27 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2692
Location: MA.
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
Sign Bart Scott and send Dansby packing to the tune of 7 million in savings


Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:41 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1144
Location: Charlotte, NC
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
Bart will be 33, when the 2013 season begins..........last year he was often taken out of 3rd down packages. I don't think he'll be a Dolphin, much less a replacement for Dansby.


Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:33 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2692
Location: MA.
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
shularino wrote:
Bart will be 33, when the 2013 season begins..........last year he was often taken out of 3rd down packages. I don't think he'll be a Dolphin, much less a replacement for Dansby.


And Dansby will be 32, in November(your point)....He has shown not to be on board with this coaching staff and simply isn't worth that type money anymore.


Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:50 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3655
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
Dansby has been nothing what he was in Arizona. Quintessential free agent.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:05 pm
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5725
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
..............he's been an extremely good signing

He has? What?!?


Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:51 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2692
Location: MA.
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
Makchell wrote:
..............he's been an extremely good signing

He has? What?!?


And he cost 11 million on the cap


Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:01 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
I have no complaint about our linebacking core this year. They did their job.
We can take care of that next offseason. For now the weaknesses are receivers, secondary, d-end and off. tackle.


Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:23 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1144
Location: Charlotte, NC
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
Wow............I didn't realize there was so much resentment for Dansby on this fourm. Per Profootball, he's ranked 5th among 32 middle linebackers. How many players do we have that are ranked top 5 or even top 10 for their respective positions. I only count 7 (Dansby, Jones, Wake, Fields, Wallace, Starks and maybe Incognito).

We have a very good LB combo in Dansby and Burnett, with all our other needs we have, this isn't the year to be transitioning in a new MLB.


Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:45 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5115
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
This is a silly list. Putting Matt Moore as overvalued when he's the backup quarterback is stupid in my opinion. Especially when you consider he won the only game he played in, and played pretty good. By this rational he would have been a great value had Tannehill been hurt and he played the entire season. You know what having a quality backup is, it's priceless. If you have to pay a little more than most for a guy like that, who cares, it's not like Moore is hurting our CAP number with his contract anyway.


Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:00 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2433
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
wkloiber13 wrote:
This is a silly list. Putting Matt Moore as overvalued when he's the backup quarterback is stupid in my opinion. Especially when you consider he won the only game he played in, and played pretty good. By this rational he would have been a great value had Tannehill been hurt and he played the entire season. You know what having a quality backup is, it's priceless. If you have to pay a little more than most for a guy like that, who cares, it's not like Moore is hurting our CAP number with his contract anyway.


I agree. Backup QBs aren't measured by their contributions on the field, unless the starter is hurt badly or plays that poorly.


Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:10 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5115
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
degs wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
This is a silly list. Putting Matt Moore as overvalued when he's the backup quarterback is stupid in my opinion. Especially when you consider he won the only game he played in, and played pretty good. By this rational he would have been a great value had Tannehill been hurt and he played the entire season. You know what having a quality backup is, it's priceless. If you have to pay a little more than most for a guy like that, who cares, it's not like Moore is hurting our CAP number with his contract anyway.


I agree. Backup QBs aren't measured by their contributions on the field, unless the starter is hurt badly or plays that poorly.


Right, nobody thinks about the backup quarterback until your starter gets hurt and you wind up like the Colts from a couple of years ago. I for one am happy we have a competent backup behind Tannehill. Moore is still in the prime of his career and could literally find himself playing backup for the Dolphins for as long as he would like, that is of course if he's able to deal with not being the starter.


Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:40 pm
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8390
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
shularino wrote:
Wow............I didn't realize there was so much resentment for Dansby on this fourm. Per Profootball, he's ranked 5th among 32 middle linebackers. How many players do we have that are ranked top 5 or even top 10 for their respective positions. I only count 7 (Dansby, Jones, Wake, Fields, Wallace, Starks and maybe Incognito).

We have a very good LB combo in Dansby and Burnett, with all our other needs we have, this isn't the year to be transitioning in a new MLB.


Totally agree. The article said he was overpaid at $11.3 million, but his performance was equal to making $7 million (which is a pretty darn good year in 2012). Everyone knew we overpaid for him when we signed him to that FA contract, but he's a top 5 middle linebacker. The Dolphins would have been smart to have looked for a replacement starting in last year's draft as a lot of free agent contracts are back-loaded near the end of their contracts.

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:09 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3655
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
Not resentment but not what I expected given what he was in Arizona. He is a nice player. But with most bigger name free agents the bang you get is not what you expected for what you spent. The Steelers dont seem to be players for Wallace for a reason. I know they are better off at the position than we are but there is no way they over pay for him like whoever signs him will.
Funny how with Dansby when he spoke out against the staff the opinion was at that time that he has not lived up to his hype.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:24 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8390
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
FINesse wrote:
Funny how with Dansby when he spoke out against the staff the opinion was at that time that he has not lived up to his hype.


I will agree with this as well. He may be a top 5 linebacker, but how many Pro Bowls has he made with the Dolphins? He is very valuable as a middle linebacker for us, but he isn't the playmaking machine that he seemed to be at Arizona. And he's surrounded by some good teammates in Miami.

I think the Dolphins should eat his salary once again this year (which isn't bad since he is a top 5 linebacker) and look to the draft for a replacement in 2014.

I'm surprised by all the anti-Dansby comments when you have Reggie Bush, Tony McDaniel, Richard Marshall, and Paul Soliai (remember that we franchised him?) not performing up to their contracts by millions of dollars.

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:42 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
Big Dave wrote:
FINesse wrote:
Funny how with Dansby when he spoke out against the staff the opinion was at that time that he has not lived up to his hype.


I will agree with this as well. He may be a top 5 linebacker, but how many Pro Bowls has he made with the Dolphins? He is very valuable as a middle linebacker for us, but he isn't the playmaking machine that he seemed to be at Arizona. And he's surrounded by some good teammates in Miami.

I think the Dolphins should eat his salary once again this year (which isn't bad since he is a top 5 linebacker) and look to the draft for a replacement in 2014.

I'm surprised by all the anti-Dansby comments when you have Reggie Bush, Tony McDaniel, Richard Marshall, and Paul Soliai (remember that we franchised him?) not performing up to their contracts by millions of dollars.


London Fletcher doesnt make Pro Bowls either but I would have loved to have him on my team. On the flipside Ray Lewis didnt deserve his last few trips to the pro bowl.


Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:04 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2433
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
Big Dave wrote:
I think the Dolphins should eat his salary once again this year (which isn't bad since he is a top 5 linebacker) and look to the draft for a replacement in 2014.


There is also the possibility of restructuring the contract to more "market" terms for the level of play, while the rookie gets up to speed


Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:40 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 am
Posts: 1227
Location: Lakeland, Fl
Post Re: Pro Football Focus: OVERvalued on the Miami Dolphins roster
Don't forget Dansby played the last 9 games with a torn bicep last year. He tore his left bicep on 10/28 against the Jets.

_________________
Image


Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:27 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Finhead34 and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.