View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Who Would You Rather Have? 

Which Receiver Would You Rather Have?
A 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

Who Would You Rather Have? 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Who Would You Rather Have?
Which receiver would you rather have?

Receiver A:
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 196
40 Yard Dash Time: 4.44
Vertical Leap: 39.5
Broad Jump: 11'04"
3 Cone Drill: 4.33
Receiver A is a tall possession receiver with excellent top end speed which projects him to be a deep threat and redzone weapon at the next level. He is a former track star and world-class long jumper. He has experience playing the X, Y, and Z receiver positions. Receiver A recorded 73 catches for 1,083 yards and 9 touchdowns this past year.

Receiver B:
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 216
40 Yard Dash Time: 4.42
Vertical Leap: 37.0
Broad Jump: 10'08"
3 Cone Drill: DNP
Receiver B is a raw prospect with excellent height/weight/speed ratio. This prospect is still underdeveloped in terms of his route running, but more than makes up for it with his excellent playmaking ability. This receiver has been said to have a "high ceiling". This past season he racked up 46 catches for 778 yards and 5 touchdowns.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Who Would You Rather Have?
A is Hunter? B is Patterson?

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:24 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

swerve13 wrote:

Yeah. Hunter lit up the combine.

He's more of a vertical than a WCO receiver. But I wonder if Hunter would be a top 10 pick had he stayed in school the extra year.

Patterson is better with the ball in his hands, but Hunter is a better pure WR (IF...big if....he can regain his confidence).

But 2 thoughts. 1) You don't draft combine drill times. They're an extremely small fraction of the equation. 2) I don't see either as a great fit.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Yeah. Hunter lit up the combine.

He's more of a vertical than a WCO receiver. But I wonder if Hunter would be a top 10 pick had he stayed in school the extra year.

Patterson is better with the ball in his hands, but Hunter is a better pure WR (IF...big if....he can regain his confidence).

But 2 thoughts. 1) You don't draft combine drill times. They're an extremely small fraction of the equation. 2) I don't see either as a great fit.

Hunter was an absolute beast in 2010, every bit as explosive as Patterson, in fact he was a much bigger deep threat. He had 415 yards and 7 touchdowns on only 16 catches!!! That's 25 yards per catch. Then he got hurt in 2011 after coming out of the gate strong again with 17 catches for 314 yards and 2 touchdowns in only three games.

When he came back they put Patterson into his old outside position and moved him all over. So he's had to not only adjust to learning new receiver roles this year, but he's also had to come back from a serious injury. In my opinion, this kid is only going to get stronger next year. Whoever gets him is going to get one heck of a weapon.

He's slowly regaining that world class speed he had in 2010. If and when he does, this kid has huge potential going forward. He's a burner on the outside that can beat you with his leaping ability in the redzone. I'd love to see us take a shot on this kid in the 2nd round.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:37 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I'll take Tavon Austin over both of them right now.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:20 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

You do know Hunter lost 20 pounds so he could run a fast 40 right. So that's not his natural playing weight and probably not his real time 40. I would take Patterson but I Like Austin better.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:27 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Cisco_56 wrote:
You do know Hunter lost 20 pounds so he could run a fast 40 right. So that's not his natural playing weight and probably not his real time 40. I would take Patterson but I Like Austin better.
20 LBs? Did someone report that? The man is ~200LBs for the past few years at UT.

FYI

Quote:
Hunter weighed in at 196 pounds -- four shy of his listed playing weight of 200 at UT -- but his agent said Hunter had actually gained 16 pounds since college.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:24 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Dphins4me wrote:
Cisco_56 wrote:
20 LBs? Did someone report that? The man is ~200LBs for the past few years at UT.

FYI

Quote:
Hunter weighed in at 196 pounds -- four shy of his listed playing weight of 200 at UT -- but his agent said Hunter had actually gained 16 pounds since college.

Yea if you watched the combine they said on NFL Network the he had lost weight just to post a fast 40. Now I don't really know if it was 20 pounds he lost but my point is he lost weight to run a fast 40 so he could boost up his draft stock.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Tennessee WR Justin Hunter ran "unofficial" forty times of 4.41 and 4.44 at the NFL Scouting Combine before his "official" time was deemed 4.44.
He lit up the Combine, also registering a 39 1/2" vertical and 11-foot-6 broad jump at 6-foot-4, 196. Although Hunter's 2012 tape is filled with flaws, he was drawing A.J. Green comparisons prior to blowing out a knee in 2011 and already runs faster than Green. If Hunter can recapture pre-injury form, he could be a steal in the late first or second round. Teams will want to look back at his 2010-2011 film for a better, healthier prospect.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:19 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
NFL Network's Mike Mayock said his "jaw dropped" after studying Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson on tape.
"The one kid I'm really interested in seeing run (at the Combine) is the Patterson kid from Tennessee," said Mayock. "You heard me say earlier I haven't seen any really explosive difference makers (in this draft); This kid's only played one year of Division-I football. And I put the tape on, my draw dropped. And he's big. ... He's 6-foot-3, 200-plus pounds, and he flies. And he makes people miss all over the field. All I know is his ceiling could be really exciting because he's so darn raw. And I can't wait to see him run."

Quote:
NFL Network's Albert Breer released a mock draft Tuesday for which he enlisted assistance from league executives, and he sent Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson to the Cleveland Browns at No. 6 overall.
Chances are Breer isn't nailing Patterson-to-Cleveland in mid-January for a draft that will take place in late April, but it's notable that he has Patterson so high. We've noticed other draft-analysis websites sleeping on Patterson a bit, but have him ranked in the top-ten underclassmen overall. Patterson is a candidate to have "rising stock" as the draft season progresses.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:22 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:

Quote:
Patterson’s versatility led to him breaking the Tennessee all-purpose yardage mark as he accounted for 1,858 yards in a disappointing 5-7 season for the Volunteers. To put Patterson’s numbers into perspective, we compare him to West Virginia’s Tavon Austin, arguably college football’s most versatile player. In 2012, Austin accounted for 231 total touches amassing 2,760 total yards. Patterson accounted for 99 total touches to accumulate his 1,858 yards. On a per touch basis, Austin averages 11.9 yards while Patterson averages 18.8 yards. One slight difference, Austin checks in at 5-foot-9 and 176 pounds while Patterson goes 6-foot-3, 200 pounds.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:28 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
NFL.com's Albert Breer writes that scouts are concerned over how to use West Virginia WR Tavon Austin and Texas WR Marquise Goodwin.
"You need a plan, and you have to know going in," an anonymous Big 12 scout told Breer. "Some guys, you can say, 'This one's an X' or 'This one's a Y' or 'This one's a slot and we're gonna use him in the return game.' You can categorize most guys as possession or speed receivers, because they have the dimensions, the height, weight and speed in a range. With these guys, you don't meet those guidelines, so you have to do extra. Otherwise, you're potentially gonna waste a pick."

interesting. I've liked Tavon all year and I think he's going to have a nice career. I wouldn't waste a high pick on Goodwin though.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:08 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Cisco_56 wrote:

Yea if you watched the combine they said on NFL Network the he had lost weight just to post a fast 40. Now I don't really know if it was 20 pounds he lost but my point is he lost weight to run a fast 40 so he could boost up his draft stock.

I'm not sure 4 Lbs is going to boost anyone bodies 40 time

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:35 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Cisco_56 wrote:

I'm not sure 4 Lbs is going to boost anyone bodies 40 time

I agree.

He's listed at 200lbs on the Tennessee Athletics website.
He's listed at 205lbs on ESPN.com
He's listed at 196lbs on the NFL Combine page.
Remember, this kid sat out most of 2011 with a knee injury. It's possible he put on a few lbs and then lost it once he was fully recovered and playing again. Either way, this kid is a world-class athlete with big play ability. If he's there in the 2nd, we should pounce. If you watch this kid's 2010 season you'll see what kind of potential he has for someone in 2013.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:

Tavon Austin is going to be a slot receiver at the next level, we've already got a good slot receiver in Davone Bess. I'd rather have Ryan Swope than Tavon Austin. Swope is bigger, stronger, and just as fast. Austin's speed isn't going to help him when bigger corners jam him all day long and teams leave a safety high. But a solid route runner like Swope, he'll be able to do damage all day long and you can put him anywhere on the field you want. Not only that but the kid is already well acquainted with our offensive coordinator and quarterback. But don't get me wrong, if Austin is there in the 2nd, the Dolphins are going to have a very difficult decision to make. Austin is a gamebreaker in his own right. I just think Hunter and Swope are better fits.

I'm hoping the Dolphins draft Justin Hunter in the 2nd and Ryan Swope in the 4th. If we did that, I think we would be good going into this year. If we somehow land a big free agent also, we'd be doing great.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:36 pm

wkloiber13 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Tavon Austin is going to be a slot receiver at the next level, we've already got a good slot receiver in Davone Bess. I'd rather have Ryan Swope than Tavon Austin. Swope is bigger, stronger, and just as fast.

:no:
Tony, are you going to handle this one, or should I?

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:07 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I believe Clyde Gates ran a super fast 40 too!

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:21 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
I believe Clyde Gates ran a super fast 40 too!

Marquise Goodwin is Clyde Gates 2.0

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:42 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Tavon Austin is going to be a slot receiver at the next level, we've already got a good slot receiver in Davone Bess. I'd rather have Ryan Swope than Tavon Austin. Swope is bigger, stronger, and just as fast.

:no:
Tony, are you going to handle this one, or should I?

What is there to handle? Swope is a better fit than Austin. He ran the same 40 yard dash time at the combine despite being four to five inches taller and thirty pounds heavier than Austin. Swope has played under our current offensive coordinator and knows every receiver position in that offense. He'd be able to transition into the new offense very quickly. Once better, in 2011 when he played with our quarterback Ryan Tannehill at A&M, he was Tannehill's go-to-guy. He racked up over 80 catches for over 1,200 yards and 11 touchdowns that season.

While Austin is a good young prospect with blazing speed, he's severly undersized, and the last time we drafted an undersized player from West Virginia he didn't fare too well. While I'm not calling him Pat White, I have to admit his mini-size scares me a bit.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:51 am

wkloiber13 wrote:
What is there to handle? Swope is a better fit than Austin. He ran the same 40 yard dash time at the combine despite being four to five inches taller and thirty pounds heavier than Austin. Swope has played under our current offensive coordinator and knows every receiver position in that offense. He'd be able to transition into the new offense very quickly. Once better, in 2011 when he played with our quarterback Ryan Tannehill at A&M, he was Tannehill's go-to-guy. He racked up over 80 catches for over 1,200 yards and 11 touchdowns that season.

While Austin is a good young prospect with blazing speed, he's severly undersized, and the last time we drafted an undersized player from West Virginia he didn't fare too well. While I'm not calling him Pat White, I have to admit his mini-size scares me a bit.

I don't care if Swope ran a 3.7. He's not even close to Austin in terms of speed, quickness, acceleration, etc. There's a reason why one is being touted a top 20 pick and the other a 4th round guy. Swope is Davone Bess...That's it. Maybe a little faster, but I'm not sure he's as quick running underneath routes.

Either way, him and Bess on the same team is just redundant.

Austin is not just a slot WR. He's a weapon similar to Percy Harvin, in that he'll line up at RB, WR, return kicks/punts, and offensively because of his skill set you can get creative with him; much more so than Swope.

I just don't see how the two are comparable. You're of course entitled to your opinion, but I think you're undervaluing what Austin is. I'm not a fan of his at 12, but he's a much more versatile, explosive player than Swope.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

I don't care if Swope ran a 3.7. He's not even close to Austin in terms of speed, quickness, acceleration, etc. There's a reason why one is being touted a top 20 pick and the other a 4th round guy. Swope is Davone Bess...That's it. Maybe a little faster, but I'm not sure he's as quick running underneath routes.

Either way, him and Bess on the same team is just redundant.

Austin is not just a slot WR. He's a weapon similar to Percy Harvin, in that he'll line up at RB, WR, return kicks/punts, and offensively because of his skill set you can get creative with him; much more so than Swope.

I just don't see how the two are comparable. You're of course entitled to your opinion, but I think you're undervaluing what Austin is. I'm not a fan of his at 12, but he's a much more versatile, explosive player than Swope.

The stopwatch would beg to differ with you.

Also, Swope can play every single receiver position. At A&M he was moved all over the field, in fact he played a significant amount of snaps on the outside. There is nothing relegating him to a slot receiver role at 6'0" 205lbs. Not his size or his style of play.

The reason I like him more than Austin is because Austin costs us a 1st or 2nd round pick and Swope would only cost us a late 3rd or mid 4th. Swope is a known commodity to our staff and he's a trusted receiver to our quarterback.

As far as player comparisons, Swope has been compared to Wes Welker and Jordy Nelson, two very good players. I'm sorry but if NFL talent evaluators are comparing him to Welker and Nelson and he's available in the 4th round, why on earth wouldn't you take a shot that he's going to be as good as one of those two guys???

Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:52 pm

If NFL talent evaluators are comparing him to Welker and Nelson, than why are they also saying he's a 4th round pick?

And the stop watch isn't end all be all. We know how 40 times are. Didn't Jerry Rice run a 4.6 something? Swope's speed does not translate to the field.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
If NFL talent evaluators are comparing him to Welker and Nelson, than why are they also saying he's a 4th round pick?

And the stop watch isn't end all be all. We know how 40 times are. Didn't Jerry Rice run a 4.6 something? Swope's speed does not translate to the field.

he's now being talked about as a 2nd round pick.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]