View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Dolphins hope for drafting TE might be late rounds 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins hope for drafting TE might be late rounds
Dolphins most realistic hope for drafting TE might be in later rounds
Top two prospects likely to go in first round but third-best could be there in second round

NDIANAPOLIS – The consensus opinion says there are three tight ends in this draft that have the size, hands and skills necessary to excel in today's pass-happy NFL — Notre Dame's Tyler Eifert, Stanford's Zach Ertz and San Diego State's Gavin Escobar.

For years the Dolphins have badly needed a tight end that can run the seam route, be a red zone threat and create mismatches.

But if Miami wants Eifert (6-foot-5, 250), Ertz (6-5, 249) or Escobar (6-6, 254) it might have to over-draft and Eifert or Ertz at No. 12 in the first round, trade down to later in the first round, or hope they can get Escobar in the second round with either the No. 42 or 54 picks.
Click here to find out more!

Right now, only Escobar seems plausible and that might be over-drafting. Most likely, if the Dolphins draft a tight end it would be in the third round or later, which could mean he needs lots of polish to fit Miami's need.

"I like the tight ends," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said, "but there is a dropoff after three, so you could see a little bit of a run. A team wants a tight end, they want to make sure they're in that top three."

There are no physical requirements for a tight end nowadays. He just needs pass-catching skills.

"It goes back to what's being played in college, and that's a position

that's not primarily playing a traditional, on the line of scrimmage,

hand in the dirt, 'Y' tight end, as we would call it," Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland said. "You've got a lot of detached receiver types that fit a TE body type."

The Dolphins need a tight end who can be a difference maker in the fashion of New England's Rob Gronkowski, San Francisco's Vernon Davis or New Orleans' Jimmy Graham, guys who create matchup nightmares for a defense.

The Dolphins have drafted a tight end/H-back the last two years. Last year they drafted Michael Egnew in the third round and that was a disaster. He made his season debut in the finale.

Two years ago they drafted Charles Clay in the sixth round and although he's flashed, he hasn't been the answer.

So what happens in this year's draft with the Dolphins regarding tight end? It's tough to say.

The projected fourth-best tight end might be Florida's Jordan Reed (6-2, 236), whose skill set matches what the Dolphins need. Michigan State's Dion Sims (6-5, 262) is probably in a close battle with Reed but Sims is more of a hand-in-the-dirt, blocking tight end, which is what Miami already has in starter Anthony Fasano.

Reed and Sims are likely third- or fourth-round talents. Cincinnati's Travis Kelce (6-5, 255), Rice's Vance McDonald (6-4, 267), and Colorado's Nick Kasa (6-6, 269) are later-round possibilities because of their pass-catching skill sets.

Miami could be in a quandary as far as drafting a tight end. None are worth the No. 12 spot, and the top three will likely be gone by the time Miami drafts in the second round.

It could turn out free agency is the best way for the Dolphins to address their need for a field-stretching tight end. Or, hope that Clay or Egnew grows into the role.

Copyright © 2013, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 8346.story

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dolphins hope for drafting TE might be late rounds
I don't know when Eifert will really go, but my guess is later in the first round. In my opinion, I think the fins should trade their number two pick along with another pick to trade back into the first round to get this kid. I think he could be that much of an impact to help Miami's offense.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
I don't know when Eifert will really go, but my guess is later in the first round. In my opinion, I think the fins should trade their number two pick along with another pick to trade back into the first round to get this kid. I think he could be that much of an impact to help Miami's offense.

While things can change ( wink, wink ) I fully expect Miami to once again go cheap on the TE position.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

god I hope not. Hope we take one of the top 4.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:55 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
While things can change ( wink, wink ) I fully expect Miami to once again go cheap on the TE position.

That's my fear, too. Hopefully Ireland will listen to media and fans who seem to have a better pulse about the position than he does. Parcells' offenses always thrived with a dominating tight end, but all of them were mid round draft picks (Bavaro in the 4th, Coates in the 5th, Witton in the 3rd round). If Ireland can't hit on a tight end in the middle of the draft he may have to start drafting earlier. Of course this is not Parcells offense, but the tight end position needs to seriously be addressed.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:31 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If and I know it is a big IF, but Eifert falling past pick number 20 you hope Ireland crafts a trade and snags the kid. For once, Miami should trade to get the best player at a position that we don't need another mediocre tight end leading the way for the fins offense. Imagine getting an impact starter with pick 12, trading up with your number two and possibly one of your 3 picks to move back into the first round and grab another impact starter. Miami would still have a second and third round pick too.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]